Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Male foot is going to be 10ish right? A boot adds another inch or two to that so it comes pretty close, just fudge it with your shoe size.

Edit: Not gendering anyone in particular just general assumptions I use

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RFC2324 posted:

You got some big rear end feet

Probably wearing shoes on a construction site.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

You got some big rear end feet

On an averaged size male, their foot in shoes is about 1ft in length. If you curl your index finger, the flat part of the 2nd knuckle, the average adult is about 1 inch.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I don't know how to women's sizes that shits more voodoo magic than the metric system

One boot and a bit is an extremely accurate and standard unit of measurement

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Related- a proper fighting position (when I entered the Army and Jesus was still a PFC) is measured in M16 in the manual, because we can't trust children with 6fat, or 2.5 meters or whatever.
Cue doing deployment training with the National Guard. I had just got off active, and hadn't been back from Iraq for 10 months yet, so I breezed through much of the Basic Soldier Tasks, and was pulling security for guys digging.

"How many M4s go into 2 M16s?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lightpole posted:

I don't know how to women's sizes that shits more voodoo magic than the metric system

One boot and a bit is an extremely accurate and standard unit of measurement

Womens US shoe sizes are 2 sizes larger, roughly. I went from 9.5 mens being a little big to 11 womens being a tad small before my feet started shrinking.

Clothes are subjective voodoo half designed to make fat girls feel small, but shoes are fairly consistent.

My boots were not a foot long <.<

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Meanwhile, north of the 49th, we’re all fluent in both metric and US measurements with the occasional bit of UK imperial standards thrown in, to the point that you can reasonably craft a sentence that uses all three and any Canadian will know what you’re talking about.

There’s a flowchart out there about what units to use when measuring things as a Canadian and as silly as it looks, it’s totally accurate.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

PurpleXVI posted:

Apparently it was a sadly denuded 9th of May parade, more or less void of tanks, IFV's and APC's and with the entire VDV also conspicuously absent according to reports.

they did have one extremely "i really wish i were somewhere else right now" tokayev, one "hey i get to pretend im still relevant here" serdar b., and a host of other former soviet republic leaders making appearances!

mirziyoyev looked happy enough but he also just came off securing office for life so y'know

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

If they weren't, they would be too small...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ASAPI posted:

If they weren't, they would be too small...

Goddamnit :dadjoke:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edit: wrong thread, not GbS

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Edit: wrong thread, not GbS

Mad respect on the avatar though. Leather daddy He-Man is not something I was expecting to see today.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Didn't see this posted here yet. The UK is sending Storm Shadows (long range air-launched missiles) to Ukraine.

Gift link, no paywall.

https://wapo.st/3Ba4XhL

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
wonder if they have enough firepower to demolish the kerch bridge

probably not (wiki says 450kg warhead) but traffic on it has to be a bit circumspect when those come online

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Well yeah its one and a little bit not one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lum_ posted:

probably not (wiki says 450kg warhead) but traffic on it has to be a bit circumspect when those come online

Apparently it's a multi-stage warhead with a shaped charge primary and a high explosive secondary. Basically a bunker buster on the end of a cruise missile.

You could probably do some serious damage to bridge supports with those, though without knowing how many Ukraine might end up with it's hard to guess whether not firing off a few in hopes of knocking down a bridge would be worth it or not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Knocking down that bridge is insanely worth it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
They don't even need to knock it down, just ripping apart the railway or the roadway and making it clear they can reach it consistently will make it a lot less useful as a route of military transport and be yet another big propaganda blow.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

They don't even need to knock it down, just ripping apart the railway or the roadway and making it clear they can reach it consistently will make it a lot less useful as a route of military transport and be yet another big propaganda blow.

Combine making the bridge unusable with a drive to the Sea of Azov and suddenly a lot of Russians in Crimea are going to be very hungry in a few days.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

windshipper posted:

gently caress metrics, respect the working class. Metric systems are developed by the bourgeoisie. :colbert:

The metric system was invented by the French revolutionary government under the Jacobins. It's literally anti-bourgeois.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

"How many M4s go into 2 M16s?"

Collapsed or extended?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 9, 2023

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

The X-man cometh posted:

The metric system was invented by the French revolutionary government under the Jacobins. It's literally anti-bourgeois.

The joke is referring to metrics, as in a measurable, that management uses to make you justify your job. But also being a joke about the metric system.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
One entendre was not enough

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1655945049526669316?s=20

The fact that no one realized the only tank they'd managed to pull out for this was built at KhTZ is both hilarious and unsurprising.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1655945049526669316?s=20

The fact that no one realized the only tank they'd managed to pull out for this was built at KhTZ is both hilarious and unsurprising.

JFC. Goddamn, that's a burn.

Number one arms supplier to the UAF.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If only one of their neighbors had recently acquired a lot of surplus Russian tanks, they could have asked to borrow some for the parade.

I would like to retract this joke, because apparently that's what they did. :lol: and furthermore :lmao:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Did the Kremlin use terrorism threat to excuse their poo poo parade?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lum_ posted:

ThinkDefence has the best introduction to Storm Shadow I've come across.
https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2022/11/storm-shadow/

It's reported to have excellent target accuracy (claims that one can follow the hole made by a previous one, apply appropriate scepticism) and the BROACH warhead is designed for re-enforced structures. The report above has, towards the end, a photo of a bridge taken out, although I haven't been able to find where the photo came from to lend credence to it definitely being by BROACH. It's entirely possible that one has the ability to reliably target a specific support and then damage to to the point of structural failure.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

On an averaged size male, their foot in shoes is about 1ft in length. If you curl your index finger, the flat part of the 2nd knuckle, the average adult is about 1 inch.

This but my pinky is almost an inch exactly. It's a super good life hack to know.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

psydude posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet. The UK is sending Storm Shadows (long range air-launched missiles) to Ukraine.

Gift link, no paywall.

https://wapo.st/3Ba4XhL

How do those stand up to ATACMS which I really wish we would just just stop dicking around with delaying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The United States hasn't made an ATACMS missile since 2007. Their replacement isn't fully online yet. 3700 were made all time. ATACMS is not something that makes a whole lot of sense to pipeline to Ukraine, regardless of whether or not there is a fear of escalation.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Logisticyums

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Bring 'em back into production, just for the sheer novelty of the acronym if anything else.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

…and with the entire VDV also conspicuously absent according to reports.

Oh? I wonder what happened to them? Did they get lost? Forget the date? Have trouble finding a ride?

Where could they be?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Murgos posted:

Oh? I wonder what happened to them? Did they get lost? Forget the date? Have trouble finding a ride?

Where could they be?

Their ride dropped them off at the Moskva, not in Moscow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Murgos posted:

Where could they be?

Training to fully sick guitar solos

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you’re looking for VDV

You better check under the sea

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Vengarr posted:

If you’re looking for VDV

You better check under the sea

I'd like to be
in the VDV
In an octopus's garden in the shade...

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 10, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VDV!
No braver men you'll get!
Jumped in the Black Sea after sunset!
Tried our best to swim to the shore!
Didn't quite make it and they're flying out more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1656019883337949192

That patriot battery wasn't even the most up to date, right?