Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I just started wearing a pump a month ago (Omnipod 5) and it's a fun little game finding sites that I won't knock as I do normal movement and also won't knock against doorways that I get too close to. Also you can get closed loop pumps that get real time data from your CGM to better dose your basal, so keep that in mind before you ditch the CGM.

I guess the only crappy construction here is our bodies.

I have a tSlim x2 so I have the Control IQ loop system but the slight improvement to my A1C doesn't seem worth the obsessive compulsive behavior and stress that has come to me from seeing my number update every 5 minutes.

The days my dexcom messed up and I'm left without it for a few hours feel so much more relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Dave posted:

I have a tSlim x2 so I have the Control IQ loop system but the slight improvement to my A1C doesn't seem worth the obsessive compulsive behavior and stress that has come to me from seeing my number update every 5 minutes.

The days my dexcom messed up and I'm left without it for a few hours feel so much more relaxing.

How did you control your glucose pre-CGM? Obsessive fingerpricking, obsessive carbohydrate counting, or "if I don't know it's high it won't hurt me"?

That sounds glib, but basically the CGM difference seems to be that you can let things slide a bit, because you can just check how it's working out instead of having to rely on the sporadic disconnected numbers from a classic meter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I track my macros for weight/fitness reasons so carb counting comes for free with it. I also have an extremely consistent diet so I'm not often putting myself in situations where I'm unsure of how much I'm consuming. Before the CGM just did my 4 pricks a day with each meal and bedtime.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Computer viking posted:

How did you control your glucose pre-CGM? Obsessive fingerpricking, obsessive carbohydrate counting, or "if I don't know it's high it won't hurt me"?

That sounds glib, but basically the CGM difference seems to be that you can let things slide a bit, because you can just check how it's working out instead of having to rely on the sporadic disconnected numbers from a classic meter.

I am sitting next to my wife in the hospital as she slloowwwly gets all her electrolytes and minerals back into phase after at least six months of "I'm a veteran (type 2) diabetic of 30-years, I can be complacent" left her in severe K-A, catatonic & hours from death Saturday morning.

She's back mentally. It was a close-run thing. We have had a talk.

There are times when being type-A anal is a very useful character trait.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

canyoneer posted:

I find that only happens to me when I'm in a hurry and/or already annoyed about something else.

Absolutely. Because then I cut corners and the gods punish me for my haste.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 8, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've had IVs and all that poo poo in me before.
I just got creeped the gently caress out by having that poo poo stuck in me all the time.

gently caress getting a pump or a CGM or any of that poo poo.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sash! posted:

You never realize how close your hand comes to things until you break a finger, get one of those metal finger splints, and then snag it on literally everything around you.

You could coin a catchy phrase.

"sticks out like a finger splint."
no...
"sticks out like a hurt finger."
not quite.

Maybe "sticks out like a sore thumb" could work.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a heads up for anyone with CGMs: if you have one come off early, call the manufacturer and they will (almost always) send you a new one for free.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would recommend getting rid of the remote reservoir devices in favor of the dexcom/omnipod combo. They will both connect to your phone for management and require absolutely no fiddling. Just replace the omnipod every 4 days or so. Incredibly convenient and versatile. It's the best thing on the market at the moment, or it was since last I checked 6 months ago. The cost however is another topic.

And yes, if you have an issue with any mechanical or electronic pumps, sensors or even insulin pens, call the number and get it replaced. FreeLibre sensors have something like 20% failure rate.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

You said you wanted green energy...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's a pretty big sprout. That means there is water back there to support that much growth.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's a pretty big sprout. That means there is water back there to support that much growth.

Water leaks can be tiny. Leaks big enough for nature to enter are bit bigger... My bet is this was a rodent's stash that sprouted inside the wall.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PainterofCrap posted:

I am sitting next to my wife in the hospital as she slloowwwly gets all her electrolytes and minerals back into phase after at least six months of "I'm a veteran (type 2) diabetic of 30-years, I can be complacent" left her in severe K-A, catatonic & hours from death Saturday morning.

That sounds awful, condolences.
Type 2 sounds even more fiddly than t1, in some ways; there's something to be said for just knowing that your native insulin production will be exactly the same every time (even if that amount is "zero").

The difference I've seen in the BF before/after cgm isn't really better a1c (it is a bit better, but that could be other changes), but that it allows him to relax a bit. He has other autoimmune issues on top that show up as assorted inflammations ... and varying insulin sensitivity. Which means he ended up doing a lot of worrying and waiting for enough time to pass to do another finger prick, and then complaining that a single value doesn't tell him if it's still moving. Being able to look at the cgm curves makes it possible to adapt much faster - and the high/low alarms means he dares to go to sleep instead of sitting awake through the night more often.

(The tradeoff is that I wake up easier than him, so I usually end up as the one judging what to do. At least the pump makes it easy if it's high.)

E: I should add that it's perfectly well controlled and stress free in the weeks where nothing else is wrong, so I get why a cgm can feel a bit pointless if that's your main experience.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 9, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
For your enjoyment

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. I hope recovery is going well

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OopsThatsDeadly/comments/12mccxe/owned_the_home_for_a_year/

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Vim Fuego posted:

For your enjoyment

I don't see a problem, clearly that pipe is supporting the bottom of the board!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

For your enjoyment

I'm also looking at that pipe wrap and trying to decide if that gleam is foam or asbestos

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looks like foam to me.

When I first looked at the picture, I looked and thought the mockery was due to the copper pipe going through a separate hole in the floor rather than through the one the white pipe was going through, thiking "its so close, why not just put them through the same hole"?
But then I was all like, "weeeellllllll, more fittings in the copper mean more potential places to leak, so I guess I can understan......... OOOOOOOOHHHHH FFFFFFFUUUUUUCCKKKK!!!!!"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My dumb rear end thought it was a huge rear end notch cut in a wall stud. The usual, “not great, not terrible”

I didn’t think I was looking up at a floor joist. Makes the orientation of HOT letters makes more sense. And why there would be plywood on the “wall”.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My girlfriend had parked her car in the garage at our last house but hadn't gotten out yet when the coil spring blew. She thought a shotgun had gone off in the garage.

I've also been at two different retail stores, literally seconds before walking out the garage style door, when the springs broke and the doors slammed down. Those fuckers are heavy.

They are heavy, and yeah, it's a noise when the springs break, especially the torsions in my garage when they went. Big crack! mixed with springy "poing" noises. I happened to be in the garage when one of mine let go. Thankfully the door was down.

Nature...uh...finds a way.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

As long as the drain is plastic the kids probably won't die. Way to save the few feet of wire that would be needed to route this better.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

And yes, if you have an issue with any mechanical or electronic pumps, sensors or even insulin pens, call the number and get it replaced. FreeLibre sensors have something like 20% failure rate.

I think this is true for just about any medication delivery device. I had an autoinjector pen for a migraine med that sprayed the medication out the side of the pen instead of injecting it into my thigh and the manufacturer sent me a new one. They did ask that I return the malfunctioning one to the pharmacy so they could get it back to see why it failed, though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I think this is true for just about any medication delivery device. I had an autoinjector pen for a migraine med that sprayed the medication out the side of the pen instead of injecting it into my thigh and the manufacturer sent me a new one. They did ask that I return the malfunctioning one to the pharmacy so they could get it back to see why it failed, though.

Do you have an idea of how it failed?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sleepy gary posted:

It sprayed the medication out the side of the pen instead of injecting it into their thigh

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

sleepy gary posted:

The injector mechanism's transverse pressure seal slipped due to insufficient grip on an adjacent 304 stainless steel flange surface, which can be traced back to dull cutting edges on the knurling tool that applied the texture to that flange.

e:
vvv all these drug names read like the verbal version of a migraine halo. also I was curious too but wasn't gonna ask. I just started nortryptiline this week because I've been maxing out on sumatriptan these last 2 months, so more options would be nice.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 10, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aimovig, sumatriptan, Ajovy, Emgality, or other?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

e:
vvv all these drug names read like the verbal version of a migraine halo. also I was curious too but wasn't gonna ask. I just started nortryptiline this week because I've been maxing out on sumatriptan these last 2 months, so more options would be nice.

I've taken Emgality basically since it became widely available a few years ago but just switched to Ajovy last month due to change in Insurance. Took my 2+ weekly migraines down to nearly 0 (The emgality, ajovy performance remains to be seen). I basically just take sumatriptan a handful of times a year.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sub-Zero Wins

Emgality

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

coldpudding posted:

Is that like styrofoam I'm seeing under that stucco?

And when sytrofoam's too expensive, pack it with trash

To be fair, China's not the only place to scrimp on materials when they think people won't notice.

But even Australia's lovely developers balk at some of the poo poo we've seen come out of China.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 10, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Harry_Potato posted:

As long as the drain is plastic the kids probably won't die. Way to save the few feet of wire that would be needed to route this better.

Routing live wires horizontally anywhere except in floor/ceiling space is an accident waiting to happen, even if it's not behind a load of copper water pipes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I think the outer sheath in that NM is torn right behind the copper pipe

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Routing live wires horizontally anywhere except in floor/ceiling space is an accident waiting to happen, even if it's not behind a load of copper water pipes.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean - You're saying for example, a string of outlets should be fed by a wire going up to the ceiling and then dropping back down for every outlet?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slugworth posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - You're saying for example, a string of outlets should be fed by a wire going up to the ceiling and then dropping back down for every outlet?

No, you could wire a three-way junction above or below every outlet such that each outlet is fed by a line rising or dropping and the load line travels to the next junction.

I dunno if this is to code but IANAE.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mycomancy posted:

No, you could wire a three-way junction above or below every outlet such that each outlet is fed by a line rising or dropping and the load line travels to the next junction.

Yeah this is what I was always told because then you know that the live is going to be vertically up/down from the socket if you need to put anything into the wall. If the wires are run in whatever the gently caress directions then you can't do that, doubly so if it's a large run between two sockets.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mycomancy posted:

Where would the junctions be made? They need to be in accessible boxes, so a blank plate on the ceiling above every outlet?

I am also not an electrician, so I genuinely might be misunderstanding, but this feels like a lot of extra work and materials versus just using stud plates to protect horizontal wire runs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Where would the junctions be made? They need to be in accessible boxes, so a blank plate on the ceiling above every outlet?

I am also not an electrician, so I genuinely might be misunderstanding, but this feels like a lot of extra work and materials versus just using stud plates to protect horizontal wire runs.

An air-bag and seatbelt in an automobile are a lot of extra work and materials versus just not crashing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mycomancy posted:

No, that's not how wiring is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah, same way you run water pipes. If it's always vertically above or below the outlet, you have to be a real doofus to hit a pipe by accident.