Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Requiring a ticket c n also be a great labor-saving technique. I frequently get lab managers coming to me with an idea, we talk it over, hash out requirements and basically define a small project. Then I ask them to put in a ticket so we can schedule the work. Easily half the time I never hear about it again and I can get back to the forums in peace.

my fav thing is when someone calls and i give them something to try that might or might not work and ask them to open a ticket if it doesn't. they almost never do the ticket. did my suggestion work, or did they simply stop giving a poo poo? i don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Wibla posted:

Migrating an 8 year old Cisco ASA to a new Palo Alto on a critical network over the weekend might lead to some issues. Who knew.

we are switching some stuff to palo alto and getting rid of citrix for our production tools. i can copy and paste again!

things pissing me off, clients demanding 3 tier architecture on a cloud application when we provide 2 tier.

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 26, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's my one-tier application diagram

:nsa:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

Here's my one-tier application diagram

:goatsecx:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I was forced to make a diagram of a WSUS server updating one other server. It's the most shameful thing I've ever done.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It amazes me that WSUS has managed to stick around as long as it has whilst being ignored and neglected by Microsoft seemingly forever.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
“But I have LAMP working on my laptop just fine? Why can’t we just buy a single beefy server for production?”

I celebrate that the laptop ISN’T production.

[Regarding single tier architecture chat above]

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 27, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It amazes me that WSUS has managed to stick around as long as it has whilst being ignored and neglected by Microsoft seemingly forever.

I’m amazed people use it because imo it’s a giant piece of poop that has rightfully been ignored

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It is absolute horseshit but not everyone made the licensing leap to get to Intune or whatever they use these days for updates and patch management. I've been out of the world for so long now though I dont even know what the latest/greatest is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It is absolute horseshit but not everyone made the licensing leap to get to Intune or whatever they use these days for updates and patch management. I've been out of the world for so long now though I dont even know what the latest/greatest is.

windows update for business is "free"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

windows update for business is "free"

And if you have boatloads of cash you can use autopatch.

(I have never used autopatch because our clients do not have boatloads of cash.)

edit: autopatch not update

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They just released an integration pack for it.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/public-preview-of-unified-update-platform-on-premises/ba-p/3659708

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Is KB4023057 loving up a ton of computers for anybody else? A ton of our company's clients are reporting that their Windows workstations are boot-looping after patches last night and it's ruining my morning.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t know what it is but it sure hosed my stupid laptop up

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

Is KB4023057 loving up a ton of computers for anybody else? A ton of our company's clients are reporting that their Windows workstations are boot-looping after patches last night and it's ruining my morning.

Nevermind, I think I maybe found it what our problem is:

Seems like the computers now have two OSes in the boot list that are now fighting each other or some poo poo. IDK, it's just a huge clusterfuck and now I'm probably gonna have to go onsite a whole bunch today. Goddamn it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MiniFoo posted:

Nevermind, I think I maybe found it what our problem is:

Seems like the computers now have two OSes in the boot list that are now fighting each other or some poo poo. IDK, it's just a huge clusterfuck and now I'm probably gonna have to go onsite a whole bunch today. Goddamn it.

I got a patch a couple days ago that destroyed the bootloader on my Windows 11 instance. Everything else was intact.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.gadgetany.com/news/microsoft-discontinues-keyboard-mouse-and-webcam-products-under-surface-brand/

No more microsoft branded mouse and keyboards, kinda mad, i have been using them for as long as i can remember since they are built like tanks. I have keyboards that no longer have markings but still work as the moment it was purchased and mouse that melted every rubber but are as precise as new. I dread having to get GAMER stuff to avoid biodegradable stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most peripherals are complete poo poo-tier devices so losing one of about three options is Not Good. They'd only just launched a bunch of new products as well.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm off today after 11 days on and see I have an email from my boss angrily wanting to know why I did X and who told me I could do X.

I've never done X in my life and have never even heard of X.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.gadgetany.com/news/microsoft-discontinues-keyboard-mouse-and-webcam-products-under-surface-brand/

No more microsoft branded mouse and keyboards, kinda mad, i have been using them for as long as i can remember since they are built like tanks. I have keyboards that no longer have markings but still work as the moment it was purchased and mouse that melted every rubber but are as precise as new. I dread having to get GAMER stuff to avoid biodegradable stuff.

They don't have a ton of buttons but Microsoft makes the best mice in the business, and their ergonomic keyboard is one of the few good options. This is a huge bummer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yay email from chase saying my email address was changed and I can't log into my account. The password was a long randomly generated one, so either they were owned (it's possible - there's a 20+ minute wait on the sapphire reserve line, which I've never seen before), someone at customer service was phished, or my keepass or Google vaults were owned (I doubt it).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

KillHour posted:

Yay email from chase saying my email address was changed and I can't log into my account. The password was a long randomly generated one, so either they were owned (it's possible - there's a 20+ minute wait on the sapphire reserve line, which I've never seen before), someone at customer service was phished, or my keepass or Google vaults were owned (I doubt it).

Are you sure the email was actually from Chase? Did you go to the bank website through a link in that email, or navigate to it independently?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, they called the line at 9PM last night and had them change the phone number and email address on file so they could do a password reset. They then did a points transfer to Air Canada. Fuckers.

ponzicar posted:

Are you sure the email was actually from Chase? Did you go to the bank website through a link in that email, or navigate to it independently?

It was definitely from chase. There were no links in the email, just an advisory to check my account.

The fraud person said they had the last 4 of my credit card and my CVV code, so they're sending me a new card. Wonder how they got it.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

KillHour posted:

Yeah, they called the line at 9PM last night and had them change the phone number and email address on file so they could do a password reset. They then did a points transfer to Air Canada. Fuckers.

It was definitely from chase. There were no links in the email, just an advisory to check my account.

The fraud person said they had the last 4 of my credit card and my CVV code, so they're sending me a new card. Wonder how they got it.

oh thats annoying. no one bought anything on your card right?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Why are we retaining two full copies of the previous design of this site in CMS? The last redesign was in 2017. This is on top of a bunch of pages that should not be in there for other reasons.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's an interesting time for sas dates: for the month of April this year the number of days since Jan 1 1960 is such that April 20th is '23120', April 27th is '23127' etc so that raw sas dates look really close at a glance to a (downshifted by a couple of months) yymdd format, and I've already seen one oopsie where someone ran a program as at a triggerdate that they got from a log of a previous run and thought it was a date in January.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RoboBoogie posted:

oh thats annoying. no one bought anything on your card right?

No, but they issued me a new one just in case.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The supervisor of the supervisor of this program asked me to take a look at the ipads of some front line staff; like for some reason there was hesitancy from my CEO to want to connect these to an MDM so they're basically personal devices with the sys admin who proceeded me's apple ID signed into them. Well now they need updates because they can't sign into Outlook anymore. This supervisor of their supervisor is very busy with some legit important poo poo so I'm not going to try to talk them through signing in a different media account or whatever and just say yeah, I'll look at them during my in-office time, and ask them when they have a chance to drop them off with my supervisor who very kindly does most of the legwork for me these days.

They drop them off with him at 3:30 PM on Friday.

Monday morning at noon I get an email from that staff, "CAN WE GO PICK THESE UP?" Like even if I worked in the office still, I'm not staying late on a Friday to work an iOS device and it's definitely not the priority Monday morning even if I didn't have a fairly substantial thing to tackle like I did. So I say, "sorry if the expectation was set otherwise but I generally work in office Tuesday evenings, I will take a look at them then."

Of course, no chargers. So I'm now charging them with phone chargers. I don't even have two lightning cables anymore because they've all been stolen from my office, just one that I hid, and one in my bag that belongs to me. After 3 hours one was at 15% the other was at 11% so yeah. Now I have to find out what level of problem this is going to be and if I'm going to have to go in tomorrow evening too and hope they're charged or if I can just do this next week.

I mean it's pretty clear they actually haven't been used for quite some time but doubt that will make a difference.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

So, one of my ISPs has been having intermittent packet loss/disconnects for the past month or so. Net eng told me they don't have any monitoring (???) and rely on "pockets of customer complaints" to identify issues. Also they would have to send someone to physically plug in to the gateway, enable logging, return later to gather the logs, and then n additional times to attempt to fix it?

I've never had a company be so casual about specifics before, but I've also never had such a seemingly simple issue take so long to get resolved. Especially when it's just fiber to the building then copper to me. There's 42 customers in this building, so I'm assuming its two 40G links to what nmap says is a C7200. snmp v3 seems to be enabled from the inside. I've shown them traceroute of the loss happening on the outside of the gateway. They wouldn't even get the eng to call me until they wasted a tech's time to come out and test the ports. It's going to be wild if it took them this long to gather the proof they need to file a ticket with the upstream provider.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

So, one of my ISPs has been having intermittent packet loss/disconnects for the past month or so. Net eng told me they don't have any monitoring (???) and rely on "pockets of customer complaints" to identify issues. Also they would have to send someone to physically plug in to the gateway, enable logging, return later to gather the logs, and then n additional times to attempt to fix it?

I've never had a company be so casual about specifics before, but I've also never had such a seemingly simple issue take so long to get resolved. Especially when it's just fiber to the building then copper to me. There's 42 customers in this building, so I'm assuming its two 40G links to what nmap says is a C7200. snmp v3 seems to be enabled from the inside. I've shown them traceroute of the loss happening on the outside of the gateway. They wouldn't even get the eng to call me until they wasted a tech's time to come out and test the ports. It's going to be wild if it took them this long to gather the proof they need to file a ticket with the upstream provider.

theyre probably not counting it as downtime if they can still ping the router

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

RoboBoogie posted:

theyre probably not counting it as downtime if they can still ping the router

Yeah we figured as much... I've been making sure they can't do that when it starts. It always comes back when I do this, but it never happens faster than ~2m40s, so I think all they can do is restart it.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Breetai posted:

It's an interesting time for sas dates: for the month of April this year the number of days since Jan 1 1960 is such that April 20th is '23120', April 27th is '23127' etc so that raw sas dates look really close at a glance to a (downshifted by a couple of months) yymdd format, and I've already seen one oopsie where someone ran a program as at a triggerdate that they got from a log of a previous run and thought it was a date in January.

what the gently caress is this loving poo poo. everyone knows the epoch started on jan 1 1970

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what the gently caress is this loving poo poo. everyone knows the epoch started on jan 1 1970

sas is older than the unix epoch

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 4, 2023

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

It wouldn't be a standard if mission critical software blithely ignored it in favor of their own homebrew standard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There should be a new piece of software come along that represents all its times by counting down the seconds to 2060, just to keep the next generation on their toes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gmail flagged an email that I sent to myself as spam.

I get half a dozen of those "You've won a Yeti cooler!" and McAfee bill impersonation scam emails a day in my inbox, but this one goes to the spam folder. What a great product.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sirotan posted:

Gmail flagged an email that I sent to myself as spam.

I get half a dozen of those "You've won a Yeti cooler!" and McAfee bill impersonation scam emails a day in my inbox, but this one goes to the spam folder. What a great product.

What does that say about the quality of your emails?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

rafikki posted:

:negative:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thanks Ants posted:

There should be a new piece of software come along that represents all its times by counting down the seconds to 2060, just to keep the next generation on their toes.

Just make it a signed integer, and no problemo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

rafikki posted:

:drat: