Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

giogadi posted:

I’ve never heard of anyone actually liking BOTW except on this forum

Tell us more about your social isolation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Has anyone played Pathway?

Pathway is a strategy adventure game from Germany-based developers Robotality, featuring turn-based combat and unique story encounters. Explore temples, tombs and the desert wilderness in a grand pulp adventure!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I finally saw someone off SA saying botw is bad

quote:

Nintendo for example, is a 52 BILLION dollar corp who took 6 years to make BoTW (A jumped up mobile game if we're honest) and 6 more to make ToTK despite having the engine, ai, assets, enemies, world, etc all already built from BoTW, clocking ToTK in at arguably 12 years of total development for a single player game that runs on (outdated) mobile phone level hardware.

It's a believer defending Star Citizen

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fuckin' Nintendo, 52 billion dollar company taking 12 years to release a single game, done nothing otherwise in the meantime.

To be fair to that guy, Star Citizen is currently being developed faster than DNF - an accomplishment!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

big black turnout posted:

I finally saw someone off SA saying botw is bad

It's a believer defending Star Citizen

Why'd you remove the link to the post?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

Fuckin' Nintendo, 52 billion dollar company taking 12 years to release a single game, done nothing otherwise in the meantime.

To be fair to that guy, Star Citizen is currently being developed faster than DNF - an accomplishment!

Duke Nukem Forever was fourteen (14) years, but did get released. Star Citizen is twelve (12) years in and hasn't even hit "not a piece of poo poo buggy pre-alpha demo". Like, it's not even close to the quality Duke Nukem Forever was released in. Let that sink in.

In two more years it will have eclipsed DNF's development time, and be no closer to completion.

And well, I just think that's loving hilarious.

PS: BotW took twelve (12) years to make? Put it back in, it isn't done lmao gotem

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

Duke Nukem Forever was fourteen (14) years, but did get released. Star Citizen is twelve (12) years in and hasn't even hit "not a piece of poo poo buggy pre-alpha demo". Like, it's not even close to the quality Duke Nukem Forever was released in. Let that sink in.

In two more years it will have eclipsed DNF's development time, and be no closer to completion.

PS: BotW took twelve (12) years to make? Put it back in, it isn't done lmao gotem

:lol: DNF cost somewhere around ~25m to develop across its 14 years. Star Citizen is well over the 100m mark and had wayyy less to show for it. FOUR TIMES AS MUCH MONEY AS DUKE NUKE FOREVER. FOUR TIMES

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

QuarkJets posted:

Popular does not mean good, fuckin reality TV is popular but everyone who watches it knows that it's trash

I think of it more like junk food than just trash, I think that's a stronger analogy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: DNF cost somewhere around ~25m to develop across its 14 years. Star Citizen is well over the 100m mark and had wayyy less to show for it. FOUR TIMES AS MUCH MONEY AS DUKE NUKE FOREVER. FOUR TIMES

It’s actually like 500 million

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well I have 2 more personal business days that don't roll over and about a month left to use them so I'm gonna play some Zelda the day it comes out.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

syntaxfunction posted:

569,079,416 dollars to be precise :allears:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

... over half a billion dollars. Am I reading this right? I can't be. How the hell have they scammed people this badly?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's hard to wrap your mind around. I wonder what it is like working there. Perpetually developing a game that will never come out. It's Synecdoche, New York come to life in video game development.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FoolyCharged posted:

... over half a billion dollars. Am I reading this right? I can't be. How the hell have they scammed people this badly?

Half a billion sounds like a lot but not when you take into account the sports cars and cocaine they need for dev.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

They make a hell of a jpeg

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if there's ever crunch time when you're making something that will just never exist.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's crunch all the way down.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

abigserve posted:

I think botw is bad if you've got aging gamer brain where you work out what the entire game is going to be within the first 8 hrs then have no desire to play the rest of it. lots of games are like that imo and it's why there are no good ones

Yeah I played a decent amount, did two of the four boss/god whatever things, a fair amount of exploring, then reached terminal boredom and walked away. It's definitely one of those games that shows you everything it has to offer well before you would ever finish it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Literally A Person posted:

Half a billion sounds like a lot but not when you take into account the sports cars and cocaine they need for dev.

Yeah, I did a bunch of lines today. Wait, you meant the coding kind? We don't do that here.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

Better question is... why are they allowed to?

Edit: Seriously. This is loving dumb.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

itry posted:

Capitalism, probably.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

itry posted:

Their victims are morons who insist they aren't getting scammed

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
everything is a scam

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Star citizen selling jegs to morons is still 100x more ethical (and less profitable) than EA selling all the p2w lootbox card pack bullshit they do in fifa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Star Citizen gets broke brained people to pay thousands for spaceship Jpegs, but what about the presumedly many people who just thought they were funding a normal game back in 2012 and thought they's have a full featured game by 2014. How has that not resulted in a class action lawsuit? There's gotta be a non insignificant amount of people who a pissed they are still waiting a decade later?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

Star Citizen gets broke brained people to pay thousands for spaceship Jpegs, but what about the presumedly many people who just thought they were funding a normal game back in 2012 and thought they's have a full featured game by 2014. How has that not resulted in a class action lawsuit? There's gotta be a non insignificant amount of people who a pissed they are still waiting a decade later?

I really have to believe the proportion of non-true believers is actually p low

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Actually here's a question related to that - are gaming Kickstarters still a thing (obviously they are still a thing), to the same level they were 10 years ago?

Has there been enough colossal failures that you don't see as many kickstarters anymore? Are people fed up?

Am I just old and disconnected compared to ten years ago so I just dont see as many kickstarters?

Could anyone please write me an essay about the current state of kickstarting games vs ten years ago?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Eh, they could sue, but most already got a refund when they missed a deadline. I think that was a thing, anyway. Otherwise, it's the usual early access bullshit issue where as long as they aren't provably not making a game, as opposed to half assedly making a game and taking their sweet time, they are meeting the contractual obligation of making the game that they will provide at some point in the future in exchange for having their development funded.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Capital Letdown posted:

Actually here's a question related to that - are gaming Kickstarters still a thing (obviously they are still a thing), to the same level they were 10 years ago?

Has there been enough colossal failures that you don't see as many kickstarters anymore? Are people fed up?

Am I just old and disconnected compared to ten years ago so I just dont see as many kickstarters?

Could anyone please write me an essay about the current state of kickstarting games vs ten years ago?

I think most of that poo poo just moved to steam when valve built in support for early access. It's still every bit the scam it's always been, but at least they have to have some portion of the product to sell before charging for it now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Capital Letdown posted:

You're old.

Plenty of decent to good games get kickstarted.

Star Citizen is a special case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

I really have to believe the proportion of non-true believers is actually p low

I guess the people like me, who just initially thought "oh that sounds cool" mostly just didn't kickstart it and figured they'd buy it when it actually came out.

Capital Letdown posted:

I haven't kept up with it at all so maybe someone else has a better answer, but the last time I checked it seemed like it had turned into less of an outlet for people to dump millions of dollars on some "visionaries" idea and more of a way for mostly finished indie games to do some pre sales. I think a lot of that market has been replaced by early access.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
There is? was? also the "we need a publisher but we need to prove interest please give us money to show them" angle

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
name one good videogame, just one. its literally impossible

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

dsf posted:

Trog

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dsf posted:

no

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dsf posted:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

dsf posted:

Solar Jetman for the Nintendo Entertainment System

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

dsf posted:

Excitebike for NES

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

dsf posted: