Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Here’s nasty cake done three ways

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Sorry why aren't you making this a combination donuttery / shooting range again?

Seems about as good as the rest of the half-baked fried ideas

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Here’s nasty cake done three ways

These really put the "do not" into donut.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Can we change the thread title to 'Will I take a photo with a normal orientation' ?

Because that's another thing that's not happening

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You did not believe in your donuts op

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like how it’s always one image per post.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sundae posted:

:thumbsup: for the compost bin.

Now I know it's a troll.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Rationale posted:

Here they are in the compost bin. Hope the worms forgive me!

What did they taste like? Did you at least get the flavors right?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Dude, they're supposed to be made with love, not existential angst and ennui.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Dude, they're supposed to be made with love, not existential angst and ennui.

Mixed dough arts (MDA) made with hate

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's using SA's file attachment option to avoid the imgur implosion probably, which is actually fine, but yeah hey Rationale, your phone may auto-rotate pics but whatever you're using to post them isn't doing that and they're all sideways which is a little bit annoying, although also legit props for not just posting endless photos of other people's donuts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Honestly actually making some donuts, even if they don't look good, is the biggest step forward shown in a while. You learn more from failures than successes anyway, and with donuts I'm assuming you want to fail a lot of different ways to figure out what you actually have to get right and where there is some wiggle room.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Donuts are not something you have to figure out from first principles. Any adult who can read and follow directions should be able to turn out acceptable donuts. He’s literally using boxed cake mix.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
You’re right I’m not capable time to give up.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rationale posted:

You’re right I’m not capable time to give up.

The first reasonable thing you've said in this thread

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

And it only took 9 months!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you have to believe in your donuts

fill the holes with your hopes and dreams

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah I’m a couple checks out from getting a few more things that should enable scale production of filled brioche.

18 pounds should make a dozen dozen two ounce buns. Want to focus on speed running that going forward but if you cry for hole pics you’ll get em

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Get your reps in now. The difference in speed and consistency after a month is night and day and you want to be doing as little of that while you’re open as possible. You can overestimate your labor by over 100% if you don’t know how long it’s going to take once you’re experienced.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Learning to make good food involves throwing away a lot of lovely food because you don’t want to beg someone to come back once youve learned because they will have already told their friends about t he retard making lovely donuts in a condemned building

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I got the tude now posted:

Learning to make good food involves throwing away a lot of lovely food because you don’t want to beg someone to come back once youve learned because they will have already told their friends about t he r-word making lovely donuts in a condemned building

Can't say that here friend, pretty sure you meant rationard anyway

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Thinking about parking a coffee trailer in the lot

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rationale posted:

Smokeless powdered donuts

:hmmyes:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

It was raining so I fried in a sea crate

what's your setup for measuring and regulating your oil temp? i'm assuming that the "three ways" you reference means three different temp/time combos, but the color suggests you're way off on all of them. depending on how sensitive your burner is it may not be able to allow for enough fine tuning. a fryer setup with an electrical element for your testing is probably best to make sure you have temp reliably locked in. probably worth it to get a consumer grade fryer to test recipes before buying an entire commercial fryer. based on your in-progress photo, you're probably crowding your pan. remember that cast iron is great for heat retention, but sucks rear end for heat conduction. if the donuts are in contact with the pan hot and cold spots could be causing uneven cooking

not a baker so can't really give much advice. take as extensive notes as possible, try to recognize commonalities between batches, try to keep changes to a minimum between batches so you can figure out what is doing what

Rationale posted:

Thinking about parking a coffee trailer in the lot

all the drawbacks of a compact kitchen and none of the benefits of mobile food service

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
how aggressive have you been with picking recipes? i feel like you should get decent before mass producing

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Rationale posted:

enable scale production

Yep the problem here is clearly not enough volume

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got the tude now posted:

Learning to make good food involves throwing away a lot of lovely food because you don’t want to beg someone to come back once youve learned because they will have already told their friends about t he retard making lovely donuts in a condemned building

please don't use demeaning language directed at other goons in BFC, offensive use of that particular r-word in this very thread is the reason admins had to find a mod for BFC in the first place. see discussion from around the time of my first posts in this thread, and also re-read the BFC rules. weird jokes that don't land about like, I dunno, breaking another goon's legs should probably be dialed back a bit too. this is a very grey forum, despite this thread's existence. everyone, please take this as a general reminder to all.

now, brief foray above aside, let's all keep this thread on track with posts about donuts and coffee and less about other random poo poo calibrated to annoy other posters (including rotated pics of throwing knives, take it to TFR)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m pretty sure the throwing knife was a metaphor for alternative dough choices tho

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It’s a donut knife can’t you see the hole

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

It’s a donut knife can’t you see the hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBqojLpAnI

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Big Taint posted:

Tude says reps and I’m inclined to agree.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

What if you excavate under the foundation of the donut shop and build a secret meth cooking lair like Breaking Bad? They would never catch you because it would be right under the cops nose (literally haha) the whole time. You can find the episodes where the Germans build the lair on YouTube probably, and just follow that.

Also I hear that the only thing Ohioans love more than $5 donuts is meth.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Buy off the right ones and you've got baked in security and a largely "cash" business. Vertical integration baby!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

What if you excavate under the foundation of the donut shop and build a secret meth cooking lair like Breaking Bad? They would never catch you because it would be right under the cops nose (literally haha) the whole time. You can find the episodes where the Germans build the lair on YouTube probably, and just follow that.

Also I hear that the only thing Ohioans love more than $5 donuts is meth.

Is this one of those business plans people keep talking about?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So is this Doobie 2.0 or what?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nah. Doobie actually sold some dogs. This is just donut-chat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

donut chaat could be good, get some masala on those holes

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Indian-inspired donuts, hell yeah. I mean, when you get right down to it, what is gulab jamun or a ladoo but a regionalized donut hole? :D And way better than a donut hole too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Subjunctive posted:

i don't live in an area where american indian frybread is much of a thing, but the few times i've had it have been kick rear end. the times i've seen it used as part of a savory dish have been more of a tex-mex style, but sub-continental indian flavors seem like they'd also be well suited

op, you should investigate this savory donut idea. somas chaat is probably the platonically ideal lunch, it's a good starting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

The emptiest of quotes