Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm excited for a season with a higher proportion of older and bigger queens, but I also have very little rooting interest in any of the queens listed. Except La La Ri, who I am sure will give us some excellent lip syncs.

They really do need to slow down the pace of All Stars seasons, but between this season and the all winners season, we're gonna have a few loaded All Stars with the queens from S13, 14 and 15 coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This cast reads like a simulator generated it. I can't imagine most of them in the same room. I do appreciate the deep cuts though, it'll be interesting to see what power creeped drag people like Jessica Wild and Kasha Davis do now.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Shneak posted:

...it'll be interesting to see what power creeped drag people like Jessica Wild and Kasha Davis do now.

This has been sitting here for like 12 hours so I'm just going to ask: what does this mean?

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Gollom posted:

This has been sitting here for like 12 hours so I'm just going to ask: what does this mean?

Power creep is when the characters introduced at the start of a franchise who were the strongest at the time are less powerful compared to characters introduced later because each new generation of characters is made to be stronger than the previous generation.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerCreep

In Drag Race, queens from earlier seasons entered the competition with less elaborate packages than queens who go on the show today.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Drag Race Sverige: So the ending was well-deserved for the winner, Admira Thunderpussy, although Fontana REALLY gave her a run for her money at the last moment there. The final looks for the rest of the queens gave me two thoughts. One: We really missed out on more looks from Santana Sexmachine. Her final look was so polished and nice! Two: Antonina Nutshell follows her trend of crappy couture by giving very RPDR S1 realness with her mismatched mall clothing and Claire's jewelry.

Drag Race España: As a filthy American, I don't usually watch Eurovision, but I think I'm definitely going to after this episode. It really got me hyped up for it! And never before have I seen the odds so stacked against a team. DANG, all the lovely dancers in one team? Not to mention the only good dancer taken down by details (no pantyhose = problems)? I knew they were bottom; it was obvious. I'm glad Vania Vainilla stayed on. Her personality is like a ray of sunshine and I look forward to seeing what she can do more than Chuchi in any case.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 23, 2023

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgIY1XdO8M

This is cute :) A little documentary series about Alaska's DQOTY pageant 2022.

If anyone is attending 2023, let me know - I'll be there :neckbeard:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

As of writing, the first Eurovision Semi-Finals is two weeks and 35 minutes away. (I will also be there live :woop:)

And Drag Race Espana did an entire episode devoted to it, including a performance of Chanel's amazing performance of Slo-Mo from last year. They also had to do her dance break choreo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuxYxHVoTTY&t=3276s

I'll need to rewatch the queens' performances in full later tonight.

The guest judge was their entrant from 2009, a song/performance that I love and was way underscored IMHO. So I loved hearing that again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
While most of the music isn't for me, some friends got me into Eurovision a few years ago and it is admittedly a lot of fun. And I love saying, "DOUZE POINTS."

Shame the American version was so weird. Didn't Macy Gray compete?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

While most of the music isn't for me, some friends got me into Eurovision a few years ago and it is admittedly a lot of fun. And I love saying, "DOUZE POINTS."

the music being often terrible is sort of the north star of Eurovision. then once in a while one of those terrible songs starts living in your head rent free and before you know it you're hooked

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Eurovision talk? Any excuse to post this (it even has a bit of voguing!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_dWvTCdDQ4

Ukraine's 2021 song unironically loving SLAPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-dxzp6Jvs

Just realized this post contains both Russian and Ukrainian acts, ha. Last I checked, Little Big (or at least the lead dude) are anti-Putin and left Russia because of it.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

If Go_A's performance lasted 30 more seconds I think I would have exploded in glitter it was that good.

On topic: I know that UK will use this year's entry as a LSFYL at some point, but I'm eagerly awaiting one of the franchises to use Austria's song because it's a bop and :allears::dance::allears::dance::allears::dance::allears:

(e: I'm not posting videos from this year for people who want to go in unspoiled.)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

More on-topic of Eurovision: During the second Semis this is going to be one of the performances during the voting:

quote:

Also in the interval, a performance called Be Who You Wanna Be celebrates how Eurovision is a place for everyone – no matter who you are. Three extraordinary drag performers lead into a jaw-dropping routine of high-end pop performances along with a troupe of eclectic dancers.

No news on who the drag performers will be yet. I assume The Viv is a lock; she's already in the BBC's trailer for the event. Tia and/or Lawrence feel like they could be there too.

I believe their rehearsals will be soon so I expect the list of queens will leak out at some point. We'll definitely know by the dress rehearsals of that show.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

A new twist for AS 8:

https://www.out.com/gay-tv-shows/drag-race-all-stars-8-twist

The first-ever Fame Games will be an opportunity for the eliminated queens on All Stars 8 to win a cash prize of $50,000 at the end of the competition. Here’s how it works: each week, the eliminated queens will get the chance to show their runway looks and ask the fans to vote for them. In the end, the viewers will get to vote on which eliminated contestant will be crowned the “Queen of the Fame Games.”

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Drimble Wedge posted:

A new twist for AS 8:

https://www.out.com/gay-tv-shows/drag-race-all-stars-8-twist

The first-ever Fame Games will be an opportunity for the eliminated queens on All Stars 8 to win a cash prize of $50,000 at the end of the competition. Here’s how it works: each week, the eliminated queens will get the chance to show their runway looks and ask the fans to vote for them. In the end, the viewers will get to vote on which eliminated contestant will be crowned the “Queen of the Fame Games.”

Penny Tration is taking it all

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Drimble Wedge posted:

A new twist for AS 8:

Here’s how it works: each week, the eliminated queens will get the chance to show their runway looks

I could not care less about the other bits, but :hellyeah: to that part!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1653052447013699584

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
That's quite the lineup. Will watch, no matter how stupid it is.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Drag Race España: I gotta say, this last episode (4) was so fun! Horror movies and drag queens just GO together, ask Hurricane Bianca. I really liked the director; he was nice, but gave clear instructions and corrections when needed. So much better than any other drag race iteration. The looks were astounding.

I have clear favorites now. Pitita, Pakita, Vania Vainilla, and Pink Chadora, may you last as long as possible, please and thank you.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Tonight on Eurovision, famous Club 96 visitor Rita Ora performs!

(I know her name, but not many of her songs, so the words "British Person Rita Ora" kept echoing thru my head during the performance lol)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i only started espana s3 today but its so good. why did i even wait

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

Tonight on Eurovision, famous Club 96 visitor Rita Ora performs!

(I know her name, but not many of her songs, so the words "British Person Rita Ora" kept echoing thru my head during the performance lol)

You and Drag Race España convinced this stupid American to watch Eurovision 2023 live. It's SO good!

EDIT: Saw the acts and my favorites were Queen of Kings, Unicorn, My Sister's Crown, and Cha Cha Cha. I'm too cheap to pay to vote though. :gbsmith:

2nd EDIT: As for results, gently caress YEAH all my picks made it in! :asoiaf:

Still have no clue how Croatia made it. The performance was campy and solid, but the song itself... yeesh.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yes, hello, is this Bob the Drag Queen, PEABODY AWARD WINNER?!

And Eureka and Shangela were there too.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Pan Dulce posted:

You and Drag Race España convinced this stupid American to watch Eurovision 2023 live. It's SO good!

EDIT: Saw the acts and my favorites were Queen of Kings, Unicorn, My Sister's Crown, and Cha Cha Cha. I'm too cheap to pay to vote though. :gbsmith:

2nd EDIT: As for results, gently caress YEAH all my picks made it in! :asoiaf:

Still have no clue how Croatia made it. The performance was campy and solid, but the song itself... yeesh.

There's a long history of songs like Croatia making it in, plus they removed the Jury Vote from the Semis this year to avoid any gatekeeping and I think it paid off.

I'm going to the stadium the next two nights, I'll know which Drag Queens are performing on the interval soon.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

First fifteen minutes of AS8 is up on YouTube.

Eurovision update: Semis 2 is definitely the queer night. As for the drag queens performing I didn't recognize them but they did great. I expect they went with West End level talent instead of Ru Girls which is honestly the right decision.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

First fifteen minutes of AS8 is up on YouTube.

I watched it today. I just wish for a couple of things after All Stars 7. They should have gone with a theme. Either Second Chances for people who made it to the final 5, or early boots. This is an odd mix of both. I guess given the spoilers that the rumor is Kandy Muse and La La Ri are the final 2, it's a mix of both. I just wish All Stars 7 was the rules going forward, I hate "classic" All Stars rules.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Make everyone angry and bring back season one AS rules

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Every week, two lipsync assassins will lipsync, and the winner will choose which of the safe queens will form the jury that will vote on which of the bottom queens is eliminated.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Every queen is given a copy of Roberts Rules at the start and at the end there can only be queen left. Everything else is up to them

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I’m trying to decide if I want to pay to watch AS8 or not. I like Heidi, LaLa and Mrs. Kasha Davis but I really do not enjoy Jimbo,Kandy Muse or Jaymes and the rest are just meh to me.
If I didn’t have to pay some sort of streaming service I would definitely watch it but I’m not sure if I’m excited enough about this group of queens to do that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bookish posted:

I’m trying to decide if I want to pay to watch AS8 or not. I like Heidi, LaLa and Mrs. Kasha Davis but I really do not enjoy Jimbo,Kandy Muse or Jaymes and the rest are just meh to me.
If I didn’t have to pay some sort of streaming service I would definitely watch it but I’m not sure if I’m excited enough about this group of queens to do that.

The other two I can get, but this is straight-up blasphemy! :colbert:

I love her 'drag voice' but can totally get people finding it irritating.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1656694600088649730

Also, Jessica Wild in the preview *to Naysha* "The twist is that you're here"

We are so blessed to have a resurgence of older queens

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
First two episodes leaked (Canada Prime Video did an oopsie) so watch out for spoilers I guess.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I just saw the fifteen acts for this part of Eurovision 2023. Overall, I liked more of the acts. I wouldn't mind it any passed except Cyprus; he sang SUCH a tepid, boring song.

EDIT (with results): Ugh. Cyprus made it. Waste of a placement.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 11, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Poe
Poe
Poe poe poe

e: Welcome to the pain of Eurovision eliminations. I'M STILL MAD ABOUT CAKE TO BAKE BEING SNUBBED AAAAA

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 11, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

AS8 Ep 1 & 2 thoughts:

Episode 1 felt a little rocky, challenge-wise. I wasn't a big fan of choosing to start the season with girl groups. The talent show is always a great opportunity for each queen to showcase their forte. That said, everyone did a serviceable job, but no real stand-outs for me, good or bad. I couldn't stop staring at Kahanna's body, though, so the win felt deserved. I feel bad for Monica since first out on this season is extra sad, as most didn't get far and no one really has meme queen status like nearly every previous AS Porkchop.

Episode 2, I felt like the season was starting to hit its stride. It was a really fun challenge with high production values, and almost everyone did great. I did kind of disagree with the judging (Kasha should've won and wasn't even in the top), but ~~Jimbo~~ had an excellent runway and it was a gag when Pangina walked out to kick her rear end in a lip sync again. I hope this challenge (along with the promo theme) is a sign of things to come that the challenges are themed after the entertainment industry.

Also, 2 for 2 on great lip syncs. The LSA's are not holding back.

Something did feel off about the pacing in episode 1, and it wasn't until Untucked that I realized why. All of the deliberations (as well as the Fame Game runways) are done in Untucked, so it's definitely a must-watch. Not that you should skip it and miss out on Heidi confessionals, among other things. Oh, and Pangina mentioning how her damaging Thai-Canadian relations is on Wikipedia made me cackle.

Finally, I do really like the Fame Game twist and how it allows the eliminated queens to do full walks with their runway package in an official capacity. I hope this is something they make a regular feature, knowing how much work and money the queens put into their outfits.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So they released the first two episodes already? Or are these the leaks?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

So they released the first two episodes already? Or are these the leaks?

out tonight!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This may be a region-locked thing (US only?), but Paramount+ put up the first full episode on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGTenWgXNDQ

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Well guess I'm watching at least one episode of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Well, put me down as glad the queens who left did so. I know it's sad being out early, especially if you didn't get much time on your season or your season was so long ago some people never even saw it, but I didn't really get the feeling that those queens invested as much into their All-Stars looks and they either couldn't dance or couldn't act and you need those as an ALL-STAR drag queen. Plus, I wanted Kahanna Montrese to stay, considering I saw her in Vegas and she's brilliant, plus her looks are AMAZING.