Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oh cool. I never played that one. I’m hoping that TOTK ends up having one of the doofus hornbills from that game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh man I posted in the wrong thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Wow, wasn't expecting TOTK to be a strand game.

People have been jeering me out of taverns and amphitheatres for years when I bring up how Death Stranding is one of the best BotWlikes, but I think after TotK they'll all be jeering me back inside to shower me with jeerful validation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

his name is bowser you say

He's also a former EA executive, so he has the right attitude, too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wasn't just talking about piracy either. They are going all over youtube and twitch and randomly DMCA'ing pretty much everyone showing gameplay videos and talking over them just to gently caress with people playing the game early. It's completely unnecessary. This is the same mean spirited poo poo they did to people who modded BoTW.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

But Gary Bowser wasn’t just a guy who pirated some video games. He was a professional software pirate who made a living by pirating video games and assisting others in doing so (in exchange for money). He’s not loving Robin Hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

mcmagic posted:

I wasn't just talking about piracy either. They are going all over youtube and twitch and randomly DMCA'ing pretty much everyone showing gameplay videos and talking over them just to gently caress with people playing the game early. It's completely unnecessary. This is the same mean spirited poo poo they did to people who modded BoTW.

Good. That’s what DMCA is designed to do. I’m not crying for anyone who got a strongly worded letter on a law firm letterhead because they just couldn’t wait three days to post their TotK content.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Does the switch have other ways to upload images that aren’t tweets? Might have to bring back my homie Worst Link to poo poo up the thread.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't give a flip about people playing early--have a blast. It's the social gaddang media about playing early that irks me, temporarily. I'm "old man yelling at cloud"ing about having to mess with my youtube algorithm so it stops trying to show me spoilers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Finished the Tarrey Town quest and I can't get over how Rhondson keeps telling you I'm settling but that's okay I guess

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Metapod posted:

Finished the Tarrey Town quest and I can't get over how Rhondson keeps telling you I'm settling but that's okay I guess

Has he married yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Does the switch have other ways to upload images that aren’t tweets? Might have to bring back my homie Worst Link to poo poo up the thread.

You can have the Switch send your phone the screenshots then you can send them to whatever host you want. It's an option where the Switch creates an ad-hoc wifi channel that you connect your phone to. It's janky but that's the easiest way without some kind of 3rd party hardware as far as I know.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Metapod posted:

I prefer to think of it as paying off a story line from as far back as OoT

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So reviews are dropping tomorrow right?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You can have the Switch send your phone the screenshots then you can send them to whatever host you want. It's an option where the Switch creates an ad-hoc wifi channel that you connect your phone to. It's janky but that's the easiest way without some kind of 3rd party hardware as far as I know.

Oh that’s not bad. My phone doesn’t have any space so that’s not gonna work for now but useful for reference

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They pulled the modded BoTW thing because it had gone from mod to 'a guy paying people to mod.' Every time this happens it is because real money gets involved.

Like it isn't defending corporations to say it is loving dumb to pay people to do that. It is 100% the poo poo that draws lawyers and moral and ethical rightness doesn't protect you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 9, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is it dumb or a problem?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Why is it dumb or a problem?

Because shockingly companies have a vested interest in people not being paid to modify their products and will do everything they can to stop it.

I am not talking about ethics here. I don't have to think something is wrong to point out that you shouldn't draw attention to yourself. Steal all the poo poo you want from Wal-Mart but don't blow an air horn while doing it.

You want to do a mod? Awesome! Don't make a big announcement about doing a mod on your heavily viewed Youtube channel. Make a throwaway account if you are thay desperate for kudos. Release the poo poo suddenly so it can proliferate before DMCA slaps. Be smart about it. Don't be obvious and shockedpikachuface when the same thing keeps happening.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Frankston posted:

yeah, probably. gonna guess a 6am PDT embargo lift

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ImpAtom posted:

Because shockingly companies have a vested interest in people not being paid to modify their products and will do everything they can to stop it.

You’re also a huge John Deere stan too, huh?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frankston posted:

I thought it was 24 hours before release, so 9pm Pacific tomorrow at the earliest?

Who knows for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Loucks posted:

You’re also a huge John Deere stan too, huh?

I am not sure how to make it more clear that stating something does not mean I agree with it.

Like for fucks sake saying 'Don't touch fire' doesn't mean I am in support of fire burning you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

Every time this happens it is because real money gets involved.

This is straight up untrue by the way. They pull free fan mods all the time

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RatHat posted:

Nintendo has also recently struck down a ton of YouTube videos that fall well within their guidelines.
Like someone doing a normal Speedrun of BOTW has had Nintendo go after them.

They are not some morally superior mega corporation.
They suck poo poo but happen to make some of the best games on the planet and generally treat their employees well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inzombiac posted:

Nintendo has also recently struck down a ton of YouTube videos that fall well within their guidelines.
Like someone doing a normal Speedrun of BOTW has had Nintendo go after them.

They are not some morally superior mega corporation.
They suck poo poo but happen to make some of the best games on the planet and generally treat their employees well.

so basically these modders' biggest mistake is not working for Nintendo in the first place.

I'm gonna get a job in their customer support center and really start crankin out modding tools

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

I'd be curious to see examples because every big name one I've encountered has been:

A) They are profiting off it in some way (Like the 3D Chrono Trigger guys who wanted it to show off their software)

B) Company involved has a competing product in the pipelines (FF Type 0 and AM2R being examples here as well as Melee's online play mof)

C) Literally a lie/made up as an excuse to stop working on a project (because of drama or lack of interest) like that Crimson Echoes thing.

I am not saying it never happens because corporations suck and if you told me they killed someone who made Super Hornio Bros I'd believe it, but I will say all the high profile stuff I recall has some kind of profit motive attached.

Shinjobi posted:

so basically these modders' biggest mistake is not working for Nintendo in the first place.

I'm gonna get a job in their customer support center and really start crankin out modding tools

Literally just don't make it public until it is done. Get it onto the internet beforehand instead of announcing it in advance and then playing roulette. You are not selling a product. You don't need to hype it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 9, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Personally I wouldn't pirate stuff anymore but it doesn't bother me when others do it. But, it also doesn't bother me if someone gets busted for it. I mean look, you gotta know what you're doing.

For instance - I realized that, when I downloaded a torrent with 34 Neil Young albums, Neil himself might show up at my house with a credit card reader and demand payment in his shakey voice.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

there's some DYKG video about the dozen or so mario fangames that were taken down compared to the thousands that exist and I remember them all being mostly justified in one of those ways

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am not talking about ethics here. I don't have to think something is wrong to point out that you shouldn't draw attention to yourself. Steal all the poo poo you want from Wal-Mart but don't blow an air horn while doing it.

You want to do a mod? Awesome! Don't make a big announcement about doing a mod on your heavily viewed Youtube channel. Make a throwaway account if you are thay desperate for kudos. Release the poo poo suddenly so it can proliferate before DMCA slaps. Be smart about it. Don't be obvious and shockedpikachuface when the same thing keeps happening.

Yeah I don't get this attitude or characterization why its such a chip on some people's shoulders and it comes up constantly anytime something annoying happens wrt to a company being lovely. I don't think anyone is "shocked" but that doesn't mean they like it or just don't remark on it because cynicism tells them it's a predictive retaliation from a company.

And to what end is the complaint... That you don't want to read about people reacting to something, but do want people to know how you feel about their reaction anyway?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Frankston posted:

reviews aren't needed since it's going to sell gangbusters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nintendo issuing takedowns for :filez: is to be expected but them going after random youtubers for poo poo like modding BoTW to replace all the koroks with waluigi or whatever is pretty dumb

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am behind the times. So if I modify a game I bought and put footage of it on youtube, that's illegal? What's the illegal part? Modding it or putting it on youtube?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Augus posted:

nintendo issuing takedowns for :filez: is to be expected but them going after random youtubers for poo poo like modding BoTW to replace all the koroks with waluigi or whatever is pretty dumb

Right, the big issue I have is that they cast such a huge net that a bunch of people got their channels hit for regular gameplay of BOTW.

I get that they felt like they needed to take action but their efforts were severe and scattershot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think all mods for Switch games are illegal by default, because the only way is through cracking the Switch (probably violates some kind of fair use policy) or emulation (piracy). I don't think it's illegal to mod a game by itself, but a lot of developers don't seem to make a distinction between modding and piracy, maybe because modding requires knowledge of a game's files that leads to piracy.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I agree with Nintendo, being a YouTuber should be illegal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Right, the big issue I have is that they cast such a huge net that a bunch of people got their channels hit for regular gameplay of BOTW.

I get that they felt like they needed to take action but their efforts were severe and scattershot.

I thought it was just Crowpoint, who has been using emulators for a lot of his vids and has some super obvious things thar got caught in the multiplayer mod thing?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I too have betrayed Nintendo. My brother and I owned almost every NES Wisdom Tree game. Spiritual Warfare is actually much more demonic and violent than Zelda.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They pulled the modded BoTW thing because it had gone from mod to 'a guy paying people to mod.' Every time this happens it is because real money gets involved.

Like it isn't defending corporations to say it is loving dumb to pay people to do that. It is 100% the poo poo that draws lawyers and moral and ethical rightness doesn't protect you.

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Personally I wouldn't pirate stuff anymore but it doesn't bother me when others do it. But, it also doesn't bother me if someone gets busted for it. I mean look, you gotta know what you're doing.

For instance - I realized that, when I downloaded a torrent with 34 Neil Young albums, Neil himself might show up at my house with a credit card reader and demand payment in his shakey voice.

🎵 old man, look at my warez 🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Oh that’s not bad. My phone doesn’t have any space so that’s not gonna work for now but useful for reference
the easiest way is to just plug your switch into the computer and copy them via usb cable. i do it every couple months when i've somehow accumulated several gigabytes worth of stupid 30 second clips