Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Any time I see Lynx, I think of the line "So smelling like an industrial accident in a Lynx factory and looking like the world's shittest boyband, we hit the town" from the Inbetweeners. Like a reflex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The "Ted's son was actually the bully" plot also seems weirdly out of place in this season.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just about everything has been weirdly out of place.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

bobjr posted:

The "Ted's son was actually the bully" plot also seems weirdly out of place in this season.

I actually completely forgot this happened. The child actor is so terrible my brain is just blocking anything connected to his character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bobjr posted:

I actually forgot about that. They did... nothing at all with it did they? We don't really know what happened or why, and it's not come up between them.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

stev posted:

I actually forgot about that. They did... nothing at all with it did they? We don't really know what happened or why, and it's not come up between them.

They handwashed it away via a phone call, Henry realized he hosed up and apologized to the kid via a rap I think, before Ted could even talk to him about it.

Just a MacGuffin to get/keep on the "Ted realizes he's missing his kid" plot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

stev posted:

Very briefly in the last episode Ted asked something like “how about you and <boy name>? You getting along all right?”

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Neo Rasa posted:

And despite the hosed upness of the Dr. starting that relationship with his ex so soon after working with them, I was stunned that it's shown as something he just needs to move on with and forget about?

I thought that was fine, because there's really nothing else to be done at that point. Even in the worst case where that doctor was sabotaging Ted's relationship in order to date his wife, that bell has already been rung, and there's nothing Ted can do that won't be perceived by his ex-wife and possibly his son as the efforts of a jealous ex. Seems like it makes more sense just to let it go rather than let it make him angry all the time.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

bobjr posted:

That moment should have sparked an existential question that should have been raised meaningfully in season 2 which is - what the gently caress is Ted still doing in London?

His kid clearly desperately needs a parental figure who wasn't loving the couple's therapist, and yet he's still in London. In season 1 it's super consistent - he cares about his family but he goes to London to try a big new challenge because his wife needs space, yes it's a bit of an overcorrection but that's part of Ted's character. Why is he still there if he cares so much?

The show tries to have it both ways. It is utterly inconsistent for Ted to both care deeply for his son and want to be there for him and for him to be in London coaching his football team. If he was a good father he would have gone back to the US immediately and taken literally any $20 million contract every college team would have thrown at him. If he doesn't want to leave his team then have that be a conversation - hey Beard I love coaching but my kid needs me, maybe he decides his ambition to coach and do good in London outweighs his kid, but make him own that decision and feel the consequences of it. We never see him give his now utterly voluntary absenteeism in his son's life a second's consideration, even as his son is acting up in school and turning into a bully, meaning the only conclusion we can draw is that Ted is a lovely father.

I know the show can't actually have Ted move back home, but it also can't have it both ways. If you want Ted to stay in London you can't just let him off the hook, you have to have have him confront the effect his career is having on his family, instead the show just ignores it. It even lets Ted off the hook completely at the end of this episode for stalking his ex wife and even pushing his kid into the middle of it by pumping him for information. Just messed up behavior but at the end of the episode the show is practically winking at us that Ted's in some random Rom-Com where Michelle isn't happy and Henry doesn't care about Jake and so all of Ted's meddling and insecurity has no repercussions.

edit: very excited for Jamie to learn the "pass the ball" lesson for the 4th time next episode.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 8, 2023

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

EvilHawk posted:

This was also the very first episode (as far as I know) that Liverpool were officially included as part of the show (the logo is in the background at the start). I'm fairly convinced we're the team that was removed to allow for AFC Richmond in-universe (Liverpool aren't in any of the league tables shown) so yay! We exist!

I remember it being a big deal that for season 3 they had gotten the actual Premier League license, so that they could use the real stadiums, players, logos and other likenesses. I'm sure that would have been useful for a show about football. For Ted Lasso it's barely even noticeable.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Why spend time filming soccer bits when you can film the same couple making out for the 4th time in an episode?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Not enough money for soccer game green screens when you've got Beatles songs to buy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah all I could think about during the Beatles song is how loving expensive it must have been. This is really some penny wise pound foolish poo poo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Yeah all I could think about during the Beatles song is how loving expensive it must have been. This is really some penny wise pound foolish poo poo.

Yes but as Americans we all know The Beatles are the only British band to exist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it not cheaper to have the characters sing the song rather than play the studio recording?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think making the song a part of the plot (i.e. characters discussing and/or singing the lyrics) actually costs more than if it were just playing as is in the background.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The hey jude thing was dumb, as have been many scenes this season.

I mentioned to a friend that I was saddened at the lack of football and football related plot this season and got told off because "the show was never about football" :mad:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

All I could think of was the American Dad episode where Roger and Steve get into a spin off and they realize it's low budget so there's no way they can afford a Beatles song, so they start "Heyyyyyy..." and it smash-cuts to them back home

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought that Ted’s son being a bully was going to have him question if he needs to go home, which is where I originally thought the season would end with, but the idea hasn’t come up at all. Even as a coach Roy and Beard seem to do all the day to day stuff now, with Ted still not aware of basic concepts like offsides.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

All I could think of was the American Dad episode where Roger and Steve get into a spin off and they realize it's low budget so there's no way they can afford a Beatles song, so they start "Heyyyyyy..." and it smash-cuts to them back home

Or Bennan Lee Mulligan singing Hey Jude to get bleeped in Game Changer.

But yes, I miss when this was Major League: The Series: But Football

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

esperantinc posted:

They handwashed it away via a phone call, Henry realized he hosed up and apologized to the kid via a rap I think, before Ted could even talk to him about it.

Just a MacGuffin to get/keep on the "Ted realizes he's missing his kid" plot.

I think it's more for laying groundwork that the kid is suffering with his situation, similar to using Hey Jude this episode. It's to establish a pressing need for Ted to leave England and go back to America.

And yeah the locker room talks are always so awkward but at least it's a step above the infantilization from the first two seasons.

"They're just kids playing a game, let's support them." Seems fine until you think about these are professional athletes in their mid to early 20s being paid large amounts to do a job. The attitude towards them wasn't far from throwing up your hands and saying 'boys will be boys!'

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 8, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I've been forgiving of the show thus-far but the expanded budget and episode length has been squandered on some genuine nonsense: the Keeley storyline feels like a pointless holding pattern till she gets back with one of her exes, they seemingly responded to complaints about Rebecca's problematic relationship in season 2 by giving her a an even more cliche "searching for the right man and a baby" storyline, they apparently don't really know what to do with Nate while he waits around to have a redemption arc but need to give him an appropriate amount of screentime for a character of his importance, and having double the episode length and even less soccer seems like a crime.

If you had the exact same story lines with the exact same amount of soccer done in 30-ish minute episodes I think the season would feel a lot better, more compact and breezier, I'd probably be more forgiving of a lot of the plot effectively happening "off screen" between games. Instead with hour long episodes they seem to just be killing time, it's way more apparent that Ted is apparently standing around doing nothing while his team gets a worse and worse record and his kid struggles with his parents separation and his dad being away, and we spend a bunch of time on characters who have effectively exited the main plot entirely (seriously, I love Keeley but whytf am I watching a spin off about her for 20% of the length of every episode).

I am still going to limit my complaints and hope they pull out of the tailspin for the last few episodes to close out the series. If they continue the show as kind of a spin-off without Ted and tighten things back up I may give it a shot but it would also be a good jumping off point. If they continue the show and Ted stays I will probably give up on the show entirely, its grim enough right now without them trying to keep its bloated corpse alive for more seasons.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think it's more for laying groundwork that the kid is suffering with his situation, similar to using Hey Jude this episode. It's to establish a pressing need for Ted to leave England and go back to America.

This last episode would have been a really good opportunity to pound that point home, while the characters were temporarily all in the same place :shrug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Keeley just feels like the kind of character (or person!) who cannot be alone in the same room as someone slightly confident without thinking they are in love or thinking they must kiss at the slightest sign of attention.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baronash posted:

I thought that was fine, because there's really nothing else to be done at that point. Even in the worst case where that doctor was sabotaging Ted's relationship in order to date his wife, that bell has already been rung, and there's nothing Ted can do that won't be perceived by his ex-wife and possibly his son as the efforts of a jealous ex. Seems like it makes more sense just to let it go rather than let it make him angry all the time.

This is true but (I guess this is more about the pacing of the show than what's happening) but it felt super abrupt like he finds out and then isn't even really allowed to be unhappy about that (even though it's heavily implied that this guy was like using their therapy/patient connection build a relationship with her at the time)? I'm not saying it should be like a dumbass win her back storyline just it felt so brought up and gone relative to how much we learned in succession.

I'm starting to agree with an earlier poster that it was better when Ted's past/general life in the US was learned about in snippets we could fill in the blanks with. Because now it's like, does he want to go home and be around his kid or not. Clearly he prefers sticking with this team to raising his kid, but the show doesn't really deal with that like how the bullying thing just sort of went away immediately because the kid fixed it himself, etc.

fullroundaction posted:

This last episode would have been a really good opportunity to pound that point home, while the characters were temporarily all in the same place :shrug:

I think the show is relatively light in general and just showing that the kid isn't super attached to therapist guy at the end and them even mentioning him being bullying was the most they felt they could do in that respect.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
also, as a premier league manager who got his team promoted the season after they got relegated, he has to be making millions, right?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

For sure and if he wanted to he could write his own check at any NCAA team in the US and has no excuse for being absent from his son's life to the point the kid is becoming a bully.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scott Forstall posted:

also, as a premier league manager who got his team promoted the season after they got relegated, he has to be making millions, right?

The show really doesn't like to dwell on the fact that pretty much every character is absurdly wealthy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah in particular from the beginning Keely's apartment struck me as probably a wee bit above her pay grade.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah in particular from the beginning Keely's apartment struck me as probably a wee bit above her pay grade.

Conversely, when they showed Nate's apartment in this most recent episode, I was like...there's no way a dude making millions of pounds a year coaching an established London Premier League team is living in a 1-bedroom shoebox.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Tbf he just got that job after switching from waterboy. I would've thought rupert would put him up if anything.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I'm mostly fine with both: they've established Keeley is a somewhat well-known model who dates celebrities so she probably has a lot of sponsorship deals or whatever.

OTOH Nate was a kit man in season 1 and only recently came into income. And he's not really the kind of guy to go out and immediately start spending money; Rupert had to give him a car to get him to stop driving a shitbox. He's definitely someone who would take all his money and just put it in a savings account to save for retirement.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That doesn't seem to out off place, the whole blow up between him and Ted was kicked off around him not really knowing how to spend money on himself and asking Keeley for help.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I think if we were still a few weeks or even a month into the season (the football season, not the tv show season), I'd probably agree with you folks. But at this point, it's probably been about six or seven months, so I would expect him to have moved up by now. But even as I'm typing this, I'm remembering that Jose Mourinho lived out of a hotel during his entire stint at Man U, so maybe it's not that unrealistic after all.

Also, for the record, Keely's house never bugged me. She's a model and semi-celeb who dates/dated footballers, so I've pegged her as pretty wealthy from episode 1.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

bobjr posted:

Even as a coach Roy and Beard seem to do all the day to day stuff now, with Ted still not aware of basic concepts like offsides.

This is another annoying thing that comes with them being so apparently uninterested in any of the football storylines. Ted's in his third year now, isn't he? He's spent three years coaching a major league football team (and apparently making millions for it?) and he still hasn't bothered to learn a single thing about his job? If he literally doesn't know what offsides is, then he's completely incompetent, or at least as uninterested in football as the writers are.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

This is another annoying thing that comes with them being so apparently uninterested in any of the football storylines. Ted's in his third year now, isn't he? He's spent three years coaching a major league football team (and apparently making millions for it?) and he still hasn't bothered to learn a single thing about his job? If he literally doesn't know what offsides is, then he's completely incompetent, or at least as uninterested in football as the writers are.

Soccer is a big sport in England and Europe.
And I think the premier league is the one with the most money in it in all of Europe iirc. I think there are over 220 teams in England in all their league tiers.

"Manchester City's revenue in the 2021/22 season amounted to 731 million euros, representing an increase of 13 percent on the previous year. The club's total revenue was more than any other football club worldwide"

And while that's obviously the most, that's just the revenue one team in one of the leagues in England.

sheri fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

koolkal posted:

I'm mostly fine with both: they've established Keeley is a somewhat well-known model who dates celebrities so she probably has a lot of sponsorship deals or whatever.
Seems more “influencer”-level to me.

And I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the Richmond they talk about is supposed to be the area on the Thames on the west edge of London?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Conversely, when they showed Nate's apartment in this most recent episode, I was like...there's no way a dude making millions of pounds a year coaching an established London Premier League team is living in a 1-bedroom shoebox.

Yup. Even if he were the worst paid manager in the league, he would still be incredibly rich, and he has been making a ridiculous amount of money for many months now.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

The Premier League is the 4th richest sporting league in the world, behind only the NFL, MLB, and NBA. So yeah, these teams have that kind of money.

e: Some other lists put it 5th, with Indian Premier League (cricket) in 4th. Either way, it's obscenely wealthy.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A quick Google tells me that one of the lower paid managers has an income of 1.5 million pounds.

Nate's apartment doesn't bother me. He was probably on a lease so he's just riding out his lease. I wouldn't spring for a giant or fancy place either if I didn't know how my job was going to go and could be fired on a whim.