Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

karthun posted:

There is contention that gdp should only be a productive measure vs one that measures all aspects of our society. I lean on the side that thinks it should measure all aspects of our society and I don't think that we are even close to measuring that. Do you see where the "putting your thumb on the scale" statement is starting to get some hostility?

Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

But how does that square with companies making record profits? Obviously theyre not just offsetting inflation.

https://perfectunion.us/tyson-foods-price-gouging/

Last year Tyson Foods costs went up $1.5b, and their corresponding prices went up $2b.

Typically, raising prices for no reason doesn't necessarily mean an increase in profits, because raising prices has a high chance of causing a decline in sales. Not only do they face the risk of pricing consumers out of buying their product altogether, but even an industry titan like Tyson has competitors who are competing with them on pricing. If Tyson arbitrarily decides to sell chicken breasts for fifty bucks each, people will buy chicken breasts from other companies instead.

In fact, that seems to be more or less what's happening.Tyson just released their Q2 earnings report, and it's downright terrible, with falling sales and plunging operating margins everywhere. Their costs are continuing to rise, but their price hikes appear to have tanked consumer demand for their products. Instead of the solid profits they'd forecasted, they actually lost money in Q2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically, raising prices for no reason doesn't necessarily mean an increase in profits, because raising prices has a high chance of causing a decline in sales. Not only do they face the risk of pricing consumers out of buying their product altogether, but even an industry titan like Tyson has competitors who are competing with them on pricing. If Tyson arbitrarily decides to sell chicken breasts for fifty bucks each, people will buy chicken breasts from other companies instead.

In fact, that seems to be more or less what's happening.Tyson just released their Q2 earnings report, and it's downright terrible, with falling sales and plunging operating margins everywhere. Their costs are continuing to rise, but their price hikes appear to have tanked consumer demand for their products. Instead of the solid profits they'd forecasted, they actually lost money in Q2.

Ok but thats still an attempt at price gouging. It still worked out for them in the short term because they could hide behind the narrative of inflation forcing them to raise prices, as well as inelastic demand (people still gotta eat). My post was in response to the claim that companies raise their prices to counteract inflation, but its clearly more than just that.

See also brjurgis's post about how the language of economics kind of elides the fact that a lot of this is driven by human decisions, and not some invisible force of nature. I heard an interview with someone who had written a book about exactly this phenomenon, ill try to dig it up when i get off work.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gyges posted:

As much as DeSantis is a terrible candidate and horrible person, his main issue is that he's been dragging his feet officially jumping in the race. We're still more than far enough out where he could hypothetically make waves in the campaign. However his continued insistence on running without running is undermining his ability to give us a good 2012/16 improbable rise of a god awful candidate that no fiction writer or AI bot would try and sell.

Of course he's bleeding pledged sycophants and support when he's refused to declare despite having spent a few years building a campaign. Especially since it looks like he's putting it off for the twin inspirational virtues of being scared of daddy Trump, and orchestrating eternal public humiliation via Disney legal machinations.

He only just got the legislature to change the law that would have made him retire from being the governor even if he lost the federal election so he had to wait. It takes effect July first along with making it harder to vote for the first time in florida, and tougher for 3rd party groups to register voters.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-senate-passes-wide-ranging-changes-in-elections-laws-heres-who-could-be-impacted/3009623/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bugsy posted:

He only just got the legislature to change the law that would have made him retire from being the governor even if he lost the federal election so he had to wait. It takes effect July first along with making it harder to vote for the first time in florida, and tougher for 3rd party groups to register voters.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-senate-passes-wide-ranging-changes-in-elections-laws-heres-who-could-be-impacted/3009623/

The Florida Legislature is just this side of a rubber stamp for the Governor. He could have gotten that bill passed at any time in the last 5 years, but didn't. Hell, a large part of their enthusiasm in doing his bidding has been racking up favors for President/Presidential Candidate DeSantis.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Ok but thats still an attempt at price gouging. It still worked out for them in the short term because they could hide behind the narrative of inflation forcing them to raise prices, as well as inelastic demand (people still gotta eat). My post was in response to the claim that companies raise their prices to counteract inflation, but its clearly more than just that.

See also brjurgis's post about how the language of economics kind of elides the fact that a lot of this is driven by human decisions, and not some invisible force of nature. I heard an interview with someone who had written a book about exactly this phenomenon, ill try to dig it up when i get off work.

No one ever claimed the only reason companies raise prices is to counteract inflation. The claim wasn't even in that direction, it was that one of the ways companies deal with inflation is raising prices.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I don't think inflation adjustments are the kind of growth most people are talking about when they talk about "growth".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gyges posted:

The Florida Legislature is just this side of a rubber stamp for the Governor. He could have gotten that bill passed at any time in the last 5 years, but didn't. Hell, a large part of their enthusiasm in doing his bidding has been racking up favors for President/Presidential Candidate DeSantis.

Ehhh...I think the FL legislature is simultaneously getting sick of his poo poo. There have been at least a couple articles here, with quotes from legislators, basically saying that they're sick of doing DeSantis' bidding because it means ignoring actual problems that need to be dealt with. I'm sure it runs both ways, but the FL legislature is hardly a homogeneous group.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ehhh...I think the FL legislature is simultaneously getting sick of his poo poo. There have been at least a couple articles here, with quotes from legislators, basically saying that they're sick of doing DeSantis' bidding because it means ignoring actual problems that need to be dealt with. I'm sure it runs both ways, but the FL legislature is hardly a homogeneous group.

To be fair, most of the quotes from Florida legislators who are angry are upset about :

- DeSantis seeming like he has no strategy or an extremely bad strategy ("lose the first 12 primaries on purpose and then surge to victory with big winner take all states like New York and California.") and that means they won't have favors with a potential President to cash in on.

- Making them look like hypocrites/anti-business for getting in on "cancel culture" stuff with Disney.

- Making them drive to the statehouse for so many "emergency" legislative sessions.

Except for the Disney thing, almost all of them are fine with the rest of it. They are just getting moderately annoyed about working entirely around his schedule and for his benefit and not really the content.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- DeSantis seeming like he has no strategy or an extremely bad strategy ("lose the first 12 primaries on purpose and then surge to victory with big winner take all states like New York and California.") and that means they won't have favors with a potential President to cash in on.

Yeah, I'm guessing 99% of the complaining is this. They would have been perfectly happy to sell their constituents down the river for 4 years of preferential treatment from the DeSantis administration. But that's looking increasingly unlikely to actually happen, so they sold their constituents down the river for nothing and still have to deal with the hits to the state rep and business prospects and a pissed off megacorporation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As a Floridian I agree that is mostly correct

DeSantis is the ruler of this state so no Republican legislators are openly defying him for now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pew has an interesting series of studies and polls out about political demographics in the U.S.

The conclusion that the data points to is that education and age are now the primary polarizing demographics for voters.

Among all racial demographics (although, the effect is much much smaller for black voters), Democrats are now significantly outperforming among college educated voters and significantly underperforming among voters without a college degree.

Basically nothing seems to be reversing the trend either, which has big problems and benefits for both parties. It is making states with few college graduates and older populations like Ohio, Florida, and Iowa into solid red states and turning states with younger and more educated populations like Colorado, Virginia, New Mexico, and Georgia into bluer states.

Democratic outreach to lower education voters does not seem to be moving them in their direction among any racial group and Republican's can't seem to regain ground with the middle-class New England college educated voter who used to be part of the party's backbone.

No clue if this stuff will stick long-term, but the partisan gaps in age and education for all racial groups are the largest that have ever been recorded and seem to be overpowering other demographics like income and geographic area. The U.S. population seems to be becoming more "nationalized" and less regional.

For Asian-American voters, the parties are essentially tied among voters with only a high school degree. But, Democrats have an astounding +77 margin among young voters and +43 margin among voters with advanced degrees. At the same time, the white working class voters with no degree that were the base of the party in the 40's and 50's have almost completely flipped and become one of the strongest Republican demographics. There's a similar trend happening with Hispanic and Asian voters with a high school education or lower.

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1655738227938975744

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

McCarthy is (ever so slightly) edging from away from his demand that the White House and Senate pass the House bill to raise the debt ceiling and says he will raise the debt ceiling without being tied to a specific bill, but there has to be a "deal in principle" first. He says they need to have a deal by next week in order to meet the assumed deadline for default.

It's not a huge step back, but it is the first step back he has taken.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1655999215703662604

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

e: nm

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 9, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, noted. Could you address any of my other points please? Such as the question that others have asked you, for whom is continuous growth "perfectly sustainable"?

Continuous growth at the macroeconomic level is perfectly sustainable so long as the causes of continuous growth are sustained: population growth and technological advances. Continuous growth of individual companies is sustainable until they exhaust their market. See Meta.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The jury has reached a verdict in the Trump rape trial after about 4 hours of deliberations.

Verdict should be read within the hour.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

McCarthy is (ever so slightly) edging from away from his demand that the White House and Senate pass the House bill to raise the debt ceiling and says he will raise the debt ceiling without being tied to a specific bill, but there has to be a "deal in principle" first. He says they need to have a deal by next week in order to meet the assumed deadline for default.

It's not a huge step back, but it is the first step back he has taken.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1655999215703662604

So I'm guessing his bigger doners started making some sternly-worded phonecalls to his office and what they would figuratively do to his political aspirations if thr debt limit wasn't raised?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Randalor posted:

So I'm guessing his bigger doners started making some sternly-worded phonecalls to his office and what they would figuratively do to his political aspirations if thr debt limit wasn't raised?

Probably not just his biggest donors, but every major Republican donor except the truest of the true believers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Every business and finance leader in America. Nobody wants a default except the republicans so far gone they're living entirely outside reality

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
A mix of that and I bet some polling came back saying they'd get the blame.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Randalor posted:

Maybe, but McCarthy is also spineless so he's probably just repeating what the last person he spoked to told him. Hard to say if this will actually signal we're moving in a good direction or not.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Republican plan for some time now has been to make the country as ungovernable and nonfunctional as possible when they aren't in power. Politically, it hasn't been a failure for them, even if it hasn't been a success either.

It helps that Fox News is so assiduously dedicated to controlling the narrative.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Court is expected to reconvene and the jury read the verdict momentarily in the Trump rape case.

Also, the NYT has a brief explainer about what happens if the U.S. defaults and what the stock markets are doing:

The tl;dr is:

- Last time, in 2011, the U.S. didn't actually fully default, but they did pass the initial deadline and had the nation's credit rating downgraded. The stock market fell 10% in a single day and was down 16% within 3 days.

- All businesses and banks that rely on making payments via income from treasury bonds or who have invoices to the federal government would not receive their money.

The effects of that could vary dramatically. Some firms would be unable to make payments, some may be able to with extraordinary measures, and some would be able to float for a short amount of time.

- People would likely panic sell and try to get out of U.S. debt or treasuries all at once. This would likely collapse the U.S. bond market and fundamentally undermine the trust-based system where the U.S. acts as a guarantor of payment and store of value for countries, companies, and individuals all throughout the world.

Nobody knows exactly how fast or hard it would hit because there are so many factors, but it would range from immediately disastrous to moderately bad and get worse the longer it goes on. A lot of the damage would happen right away from crossing the Rubicon and people panicking. Currently, investors are assuming that they won't default, but also have no idea how to price in the chance of default and are just assuming everything will work out unless it doesn't.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1656007415333003264

quote:

How Wall Street Is Preparing for a Debt Ceiling Showdown

If the federal government defaults on its debt, the effects could be disastrous, threatening to undermine the role of the United States at the heart of global finance and tip its economy into recession. But after the government hit its debit limit and approaches the day when it runs out of cash to pay its bills, the stock market is showing no signs of panic. The S&P 500 is up more than 7 percent for the year.

That’s because in simple terms stock investors face a binary choice: Either lawmakers make a last-minute deal to raise the country’s borrowing limit, as in the past, or the nation reneges on its obligations, with potentially catastrophic consequences that are difficult for investors to comprehend, much less reflect in stock prices.

The precise day when the government would run out of cash, known as the X-date, is unknown, which also complicates trading decisions for investors. It could come as soon as June 1, according to recent comments from Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen.

“What you are seeing is a consensus view that we will not cross through the X-date,” said Ralph Axel, an interest rate strategist at Bank of America. “At the moment that remains a low probability event that is hard to price.”

But should the government run out of money, provided other workarounds fail, the effects of a debt default would hit an economy that is already on “recession’s front porch,” said Paul Christopher, head of global investment strategy at Wells Fargo Investment Institute.

“You are left with the question of will they default or won’t they?” Mr. Christopher said. “They have resolved this every time in the past, so that’s the best bet, but if they don’t then look out, it could be a very unpleasant surprise.”

President Biden will meet with Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Thursday to discuss the debt ceiling, with Republicans in the House pushing for major spending cuts as a condition for raising the debt limit. Mr. Biden has refused to link spending decisions to a debt ceiling increase.

The closest parallel to the current standoff is the brinkmanship over the debt ceiling in August 2011. In July, the S&P 500 traded near its high for that year. But by Friday, Aug. 5, when S&P downgraded the country’s credit rating, the index had dropped by over 10 percent. By the following Monday, the index had fallen more than 16 percent from its July peak.

Investors are aware of the risks of a repeat and, outside of the stock market, there are signs of caution creeping in. Already, investors have backed away from owning government debt that expires around the time the government is expected to run out of money.

Last week, the Treasury Department borrowed money for four weeks at an interest rate of almost 6 percent, well above what it has recently paid to borrow for much longer periods, reflecting investors’ unease over what might happen around the X-date.

The cost to protect against the government not paying its debts, using derivatives contracts called credit default swaps, has also shot higher, suggesting a rising probability of default.

Gold prices have risen more than 10 percent over the past two months, attributed in part to investors seeking out the safety of the precious metal, which is expected to retain its value through bouts of market turmoil. It’s hard to untangle some of this trading activity from broader worries about the economy, especially after the recent series of banking troubles, as many investors have already positioned their portfolios defensively.

Still, even stock investors have begun to hedge their bets, buying derivatives that pay out if there were a sudden fall in the stock market in the coming months.

Stuart Kaiser, an equity analyst at Citigroup, said that he has also fielded questions from investors about which parts of the stock market are most dependent on government funding, such as health care and defense stocks. Those companies could be left with unpaid invoices in the case of a default or face cuts to future funding as part of a negotiated deal in Washington.

“People are dusting off their 2011 playbook and sharpening their 2023 pencils,” he said.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

GlyphGryph posted:

The US birth rate is 1.64 and falling. We had had several years of growth of only like two tenths of a percent, and that growth was based *entirely* on immigration. Birth rates are falling worldwide, including in the countries we currently rely on to keep our own population stable. The same UN also projects that the US population is going to get steadily older, and thats not exactly a sustainable model for growth either.

So I have my doubts as to how accurate a prediction that is, and I wasn't able to find it myself to figure out where they think it was coming from so I'd appreciate you linking it. Even if its true though, the previous 30 years had 15% growth and the 30 before that had 28% growth - it's obvious the direction we're heading it and that population growth of the sort we've been building on is not a sustainable long term strategy for juicing the economy.

Edit: I couldn't find the UN projection, but CBO puts 30 population growth at 9% so that's close enough. It also bases that entirely on the assumption that we are going to increase our immigration rates which... well, we certainly could, and maybe capital will make sure it happens, but I wouldn't say that's a guarantee, and it's exactly the sort of "papering over" I was talking about. It also points to a steadily aging population and a massive increase in the percent of it that is retired, which aren't really in the same place economically and I do wonder how that will impact things.

There's a nice table in this wikipedia article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth

If by "currently papering over a decline" you mean the birth rate is below replacement and population growth is due to immigration, you are technically correct but I would be very careful about making any decisions on that basis.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jury verdict reached in Trump rape trial:

- Jury finds Trump did defame E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury finds Trump did sexually assault/commit battery against E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury says Trump did not rape E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury awards Carroll $5 million in damages.

Edit: News story just went up.

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/09/nyregion/trump-carroll-rape-trial-verdict?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Edit 2: Jury announced they have awarded her $5 million in damages.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 9, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jury verdict reached in Trump rape trial:

- Jury finds Trump did defame E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury finds Trump did sexually assault/commit battery against E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury says Trump did not rape E. Jean Carroll.

Edit: News story just went up.

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/09/nyregion/trump-carroll-rape-trial-verdict?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Next question of course will be how long Trump can drag this out on appeals once damages are decided.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NYT also reporting that all the verdicts were unanimous (both in finding him liable for defamation/sexual assault and rejecting the rape claim).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Feinstein is reportedly on her way back to D.C. tonight.

https://twitter.com/kwelkernbc/status/1656013000505978881

Trump also still scheduled to do his town hall event on CNN tomorrow.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Guess I never thought about it, but theres a legal definition for rape vs sexual assault. God I hate this world.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump confirms he will appeal the decision and decides to make a public statement (against the wishes of his lawyers).

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1656023624552259593

Old Surly posted:

Guess I never thought about it, but theres a legal definition for rape vs sexual assault. God I hate this world.

Most jurisdictions have a difference. It's usually fondling/groping/kissing vs. penetration/intercourse.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I wonder if Tacopina has him on daily/weekly invoicing, or is just planning on writing a bunch of this down as a cost of doing business to get his name in the press (and make him more prominent in right wing circles). Trump has burned so many lawyers in the past I'm surprised he's able to find even bad counsel at this point.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wonder if Tacopina has him on daily/weekly invoicing, or is just planning on writing a bunch of this down as a cost of doing business to get his name in the press (and make him more prominent in right wing circles). Trump has burned so many lawyers in the past I'm surprised he's able to find even bad counsel at this point.

If Tacopina has any sense, he was paid ahead of time. Otherwise, he's working pro bono.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Randalor posted:

This line of thinking seems to make sense but don't all the rich bloodsuckers love a depression? They get to buy everything for cheap.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Old Surly posted:

What the heck is the difference? Because until this exact moment I thought they were different names for the same thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What the heck is the difference? Because until this exact moment I thought they were different names for the same thing.

Most jurisdictions have a difference. It's usually fondling/groping/kissing vs. penetration/intercourse.

Functionally, it's similar to how Manslaughter and Murder often have different standards for being charged.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1656050429644673026

Charges have been fired under seal so we don't know what they are yet.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the logical conclusion is that it's for some kind of election related fraud what with all the lies, but i really hope it's something new that comes in completely from left field

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Piell posted:

Charges have been fired under seal so we don't know what they are yet.

But we have an idea!

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1656052130090819585?s=20

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, my point is that price gouging doesn't usually work. Consumers will respond to price increases by changing their buying behavior, and competitors will respond by taking the opportunity to undercut the gouger.

For price gouging to be effective, there has to be some force preventing those two things from happening, such as massive supply shortages or drastic demand spikes. That's why price gouging is generally brought up in the context of disasters.

And that's why writing off a price spike as "corporate greed" or "price gouging" is meaningless. Corporations are always* greedy and always* want to make as much money as they can, so unusual price increases have to have some extra cause beyond those two things.

* In a spherical frictionless market that behaves exactly like an economics textbook, anyway. But given that the incentive structures of capitalism generally favor that behavior, and that this discussion is generally focused on that behavior, I think it's fine to operate under that assumption for the purposes of this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, my point is that price gouging doesn't usually work. Consumers will respond to price increases by changing their buying behavior, and competitors will respond by taking the opportunity to undercut the gouger.

For price gouging to be effective, there has to be some force preventing those two things from happening, such as massive supply shortages or drastic demand spikes. That's why price gouging is generally brought up in the context of disasters.

Are you just ignoring the existence of cartels and price-fixing?