Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Why do the Baker's have a full fledged crematorium on thier property? Even before they got molded, that seems a bit extreme.

I'm playing 0 now with my boi Billy so 'crazy' is the only thing that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was wondering how Jack (whose only listed career is Retired Marine) even afforded a property that big but apparently he inherited it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Larryb posted:

I’m curious if the FPS Resident Evil games will continue or if RE9 will go back to the more traditional style (and possibly return the focus to some of the classic characters)

Also after the RE4 remake I kind of want an Ashley game now

I think based on the success of RE2, RE3 and REm4ke combined with the fact that they released a 3rd person version of V8age that they'll go back to 3rd person. Especially if Resi9ent EIXil is with known characters.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Medullah posted:

Especially if Resi9ent EIXil is with known characters.

Resident Evil QuIXote: Luis returns from the dead to finally get that smoke.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

builds basement in lousiana bayou
instantly taken over by mold

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

I’m curious if the FPS Resident Evil games will continue or if RE9 will go back to the more traditional style (and possibly return the focus to some of the classic characters)

Also after the RE4 remake I kind of want an Ashley game now

Considering they went back and added third person to Village I wouldn't be shocked if they just go back to all 3rd

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
3rd person is the best way

Thank you OG4 for paving that path

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why did they suddenly decide to switch to first person for a little while anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Why did they suddenly decide to switch to first person for a little while anyway?

They were going hard on VR. There was even a VR version of RE4 that looks fun as hell but was locked to some lovely overpriced helmet.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I thought it was because PT took off and Capcom wanted a slice of that pie

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Larryb posted:

When we decided on the direction of focusing on horror, we thought that having a first-person perspective would be the most effective way to fully immerse the player in the experience. By making the player the main character, we believe they'll be able to have a more personal connection to what's going on and experience survival horror like never before.

Also Capcom hadnt done a proper survival horror since uhhh.. Code Veronica so I can see the reasoning that first person would be effective for a horror game with realistic graphics

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
First person games do the exact opposite for me.

I want to role-play as a hero, not BE a hero.

RE7 was hard to get into because of that. And the silly characters being gone...

I don't mess with VR because of that.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If I wanted the sensation of having my hand cut off and stapled back on, it would be cheaper than VR helmet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, did 7 & 8 have any story connection to the previous games (I think one of the classic characters makes an appearance in Village but I could be remembering wrong)?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Chris. It's always Chris.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
8 also has some notes that talk about Mother Miranda and ol Oswald Spencer being good buddies and bonding over their love of viruses and weird molds

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, did 7 & 8 have any story connection to the previous games (I think one of the classic characters makes an appearance in Village but I could be remembering wrong)?

Chris is in both RE7 and RE8, and you play as him in one of RE7’s DLCs. There’s actually a ton of stuff tying them to the old games.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Chris is in both RE7 and RE8, and you play as him in one of RE7’s DLCs. There’s actually a ton of stuff tying them to the old games.

You also play as him in RE8 proper.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The villain of 8 is loosely connected to Spencer, according to a file you find.

Anyways I would consider 7 and 2make to be proper survival horror even if they lack the fixed camera angles.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I personally got freaked out (I can't really say scared) by RE7 more than any other RE game. The mood and atmosphere is great.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Capcom was right. The first person perspective amplified the horror of 7 a ton.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
7 would have been good as a stand alone game. It's fun to play.

The Resident Evil branding just seems tacked on at the end.

Remember that it's called Resident Evil because Biohazard is (was?) a band and there were copywrite issues

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Having seen Biohazard, the games are better

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Treecko posted:

7 would have been good as a stand alone game. It's fun to play.

The Resident Evil branding just seems tacked on at the end.

Remember that it's called Resident Evil because Biohazard is (was?) a band and there were copywrite issues

I did kind of like that English version of the game used the Japanese name as a subtitle though (and I think vice versa)

Also they should bring Wesker back to life somehow (wouldn’t be the first time after all)

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought it was because PT took off and Capcom wanted a slice of that pie

Still in awe at Konami's sheer boneheadedness. PT was so mind-blowingly influential, as just a demo, and they were like, naaaah who really wants a game like that

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Larryb posted:

I did kind of like that English version of the game used the Japanese name as a subtitle though (and I think vice versa)

Also they should bring Wesker back to life somehow (wouldn’t be the first time after all)

Are we sure he even died? All he did was fall in an active volcano and get shot in the face by two RPGs.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Kojima went nuts, better pull it all down and forget it exists

A Konami expert wrote this, probably

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's gotta be some Wesker clones running around yet, even aside from that!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even if they're done with FPS REs for now, it was a really good way to fresh up the series for a bit. It works really well to make environments feel small and claustrophobic too. That's part of why it hit a little harder on 7 than 8, it just suited the setting perfectly.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's gotta be some Wesker clones running around yet, even aside from that!
They've already established a way for Wesker to come back in Rev2 and RE6. RE6 gives us a clone body for Wesker, Rev2 a personality copy. They could just claim that the one who died in 5 was actually just some poor rear end in a top hat who was altered to look like and behave like Wesker, the real one operating behind the scenes since the end of Code Veronica. And since 5, even more secretly, now that everyone believes him dead. RE6-8 is actually him manipulating things behind the scenes so any potential god-complex rivals get taken off the board.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Chris punched a boulder onto Wesker

That's enough for me

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What does everyone think of Code Veronica?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Cv rules because Alfred Ashford's laugh still echoes on my brain.

'MwahahEhahaha Clair Redfeid'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it depends entirely on how nostalgic you are

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What does everyone think of Code Veronica?

It's a pretty good classic RE, but far from the best. It loses some atmosphere by going full 3D and the post-Matrix edgy action stuff was a net negative for the series, but I like it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Whan I said it ruled, I mean it's boring and repetitive

Classic RE staples

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My partner and I are nearing the end of RE3 in our journey through the series, and we're planning on watching CV next. Mostly because I don't own the game and it looks very unfun to play. Same reason I'm skipping 5 and 6.

I'm glad I've gotten to experience these games again. RE3's a weird one in this style, since it's way more of an action game, but I still enjoy it. It's probably my second favorite of these games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think Code Veronica is the game I know the absolute least about, I don't think I've even watched a playthrough. I'll have to see if I can find a good one to grab me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Momomo posted:

My partner and I are nearing the end of RE3 in our journey through the series, and we're planning on watching CV next. Mostly because I don't own the game and it looks very unfun to play. Same reason I'm skipping 5 and 6.

I'm glad I've gotten to experience these games again. RE3's a weird one in this style, since it's way more of an action game, but I still enjoy it. It's probably my second favorite of these games.

Honestly if you've got a partner that wants to play too I'd play through RE5. Most of people's complaints about that game are tied to terrible partner AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I played CV on the Dreamcast

You're in a prison with zombies around d the corner

The cutscenes are hilarious, Veronica is a pain to beat