Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Which light cones to pick at the end of the battle pass when I max it and unlock all at once will be the longest choice process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Saw this as a thread on reddit and thought it was a fun discussion so I'll ask here:

What's your music of choice to use for the Express?

So far mine is absolutely Space Walk. Such a chill vibe.

I'm a big fan of this one. Kinda feels like something that could have been on the Sleeping Dogs soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-MDo1PmIC0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the name of the main theme because I like that one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Meowywitch posted:

Of course I keep losing World 4 until I start stacking Hunt again and then bewm

e: what battle pass Light Cone is the best one? I'm miss choice paralysis over here

My votes goes to the Erudition LC if only by virtue of all the other Erudition LC options being pretty terrible.

That said there's a few standouts in the BP batch.

Great

Today is Another Peaceful Day (Erudition): Unconditional damage buff that affects every part of a character's kit. All the other Erudition cones impose conditions (ie get kills) or only affect a single aspect of a kit (ie Ultimate DMG).

Warmth Shortens Cold Nights (Abundance): HP% will help scale healing and then there's extra bonus healing just for the user acting. Other options may be preferred for Energy Generation reasons but this is still a great LC.

Carve the Moon, Weave the Clouds (Harmony): Lots of free buffs just for the user existing and doing things in battle. All three possible buffs are handy and will be a great boost regardless of party comp. Those of you from Genshin: Yes this is basically the Widsith.

Good

Return to Darkness (The Hunt): The ability to remove 1 buff on a crit could be fantastic but I feel like this feature right now will be niche. If we start getting encounters where crazy buffs are more common this could gain more value. Swordplay will give you better damage potential out of your Hunt characters.

This is Me! (Preservation): Bonus damage on Ultimate based on a % of the character's DEF can help Fire MC or March contribute damage while they do their thing. Completely useless for Gepard.

We Will Meet Again (Nihility): Free extra damage on attack or skill. I'm not very versed on Nihility characters to be honest so I don't know how much damage they will contribute and how much to value this as a result. Originally had this a tier down but decided to move it up since it occupies a similar role to This is Me! which I put here. Rsolution Shines as Pearls of Sweat is a better LC regardless, though that one you have to luck into.

Okay

Nowhere to Run (Destruction): In general ATK% boosts are less valuable than DMG% boosts and the self-healing is neat but mostly pointless since you will never care about that in overworld exploring and it's not gonna sustain a character on its own in a boss fight with adds.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 9, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cleared SU3, the slowpoke that I am, and it checks out that Remembrance can solve most problems, it just takes FIVE HUNDRED loving HOURS to whittle down that dumb catboy, and even longer to take down the mid-boss. Got the achievement for taking down Gepard with Serval though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm TB lvl 39 and I've done all the quests that I know of and have literally nothing in my quest log.

Is there a guide somewhere to finding the "hidden" quests that anyone would recommend? Or do I just need to tough it out and either burn resources or wait for energy regen to get me up to 40 so I can ascend people and do the harder content.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Substandard posted:

I'm TB lvl 39 and I've done all the quests that I know of and have literally nothing in my quest log.

Is there a guide somewhere to finding the "hidden" quests that anyone would recommend? Or do I just need to tough it out and either burn resources or wait for energy regen to get me up to 40 so I can ascend people and do the harder content.

Hidden quests generally don't even give Trailblaze EXP anyway. So yes, you'll need to burn fuel if you want to rush to 40.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I got the 5 star Himeko light cone. I'm guessing it's sort of an intentional safe bet to pair lightcones with their respective characters? I happen to have a Himeko on my team.

Also is there a reason to rush the TB level? Or is it just people really eager to reach endgame?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

are we able to get the song that plays in Serval's character trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HdjmUIuSY

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Revitalized posted:

I got the 5 star Himeko light cone. I'm guessing it's sort of an intentional safe bet to pair lightcones with their respective characters? I happen to have a Himeko on my team.

Also is there a reason to rush the TB level? Or is it just people really eager to reach endgame?

Personally, I just want to be able to level up to 60 so I can do the last couple Simulation Worlds and be able to get 5* relics.

Also I've got my main characters maxed out at 50 with their traces capped so it's something to do. I could probably just collect trace materials and wait it out naturally over the next couple days, but I'm very impatient so I'll probably burn through a bunch of fuel.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Switched Bailu for Natasha at the of SU5 for Kafka and it was a breeze. Finished her with a 13k Svarog crit, heh. I need to try other blessings than elation, but powering up Clara is so drat effective.

I still have the main story to finish as well as a bunch of other smaller things. I figure I'll be quite close to the soft pity for Seele (lost the first 50/50) by the time she rotates so I might throw a few bucks down to secure her if I haven't got lucky by then. Big single target dps is what I am missing most right now. Plus, that would be put me at 6 maxed characters (7 if I brought up March) and the means to do the 2 team fights that I've now unlocked.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

servals ult bark should be "you can fight it.....or let it rock" instead of "rock with it". huge fail

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

space china has a lot of puzzle types that are good at making you feel smart even though the solution is actually really simple

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

GateOfD posted:

space china has a lot of puzzle types that are good at making you feel smart even though the solution is actually really simple

glad I am not the only one that thought so

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
it is funny how the cubes look all intimidating and then they all take 1-2 moves to solve

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Managed to beat World 4 with FireMC/Natasha/Serval/Sampo. The first few runs got curbstomped by a Stormcaller most of the way through but luckily it didn't appear this time. Svarog was a chump compared to that thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My votes goes to the Erudition LC if only by virtue of all the other Erudition LC options being pretty terrible.

That said there's a few standouts in the BP batch.

Great

Today is Another Peaceful Day (Erudition): Unconditional damage buff that affects every part of a character's kit. All the other Erudition cones impose conditions (ie get kills) or only affect a single aspect of a kit (ie Ultimate DMG).

Warmth Shortens Cold Nights (Abundance): HP% will help scale healing and then there's extra bonus healing just for the user acting. Other options may be preferred for Energy Generation reasons but this is still a great LC.

Carve the Moon, Weave the Clouds (Harmony): Lots of free buffs just for the user existing and doing things in battle. All three possible buffs are handy and will be a great boost regardless of party comp. Those of you from Genshin: Yes this is basically the Widsith.

Good

Return to Darkness (The Hunt): The ability to remove 1 buff on a crit could be fantastic but I feel like this feature right now will be niche. If we start getting encounters where crazy buffs are more common this could gain more value. Swordplay will give you better damage potential out of your Hunt characters.

This is Me! (Preservation): Bonus damage on Ultimate based on a % of the character's DEF can help Fire MC or March contribute damage while they do their thing. Completely useless for Gepard.

We Will Meet Again (Nihility): Free extra damage on attack or skill. I'm not very versed on Nihility characters to be honest so I don't know how much damage they will contribute and how much to value this as a result. Originally had this a tier down but decided to move it up since it occupies a similar role to This is Me! which I put here. Rsolution Shines as Pearls of Sweat is a better LC regardless, though that one you have to luck into.

Okay

Nowhere to Run (Destruction): In general ATK% boosts are less valuable than DMG% boosts and the self-healing is neat but mostly pointless since you will never care about that in overworld exploring and it's not gonna sustain a character on its own in a boss fight with adds.

I generally agree with this. I'd swap abundance and preservation, but yeah. I also picked erudition because all other options are universally awful if they aren't 5* and even then Himekos is so conditional I could see a refined Peaceful Day coming out on top.

I rate preservation over abundance here because Post-Op Conversation is so strong. One stop shop for all your healer needs. Highest base hp for a 4*, boosts ult healing which is the best way to heal because it doesn't cost a skill point, and gets your ult back faster.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got to the world 5 SU boss with my ragtag group of level 50s, but between not having an imaginary person at all or wind person leveled up (making Sushang my only person who can break her) and being underleveled I don't think I have the DPS to pull it off until I get to Trailblazer 40 / level 60 on my people.

I did retool my trailblazer with a bunch more defense oriented relics and got her over 1500 defense and she seems to do roughly the same midling damage but the shields and survivability are much better and I can at least see why people like it now.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the puzzle i had the most trouble was the rotating clock ones to align the arrow. didn't really pay attention how many clicks each one moved when i got to the one that moved two at a time, just randomly pressed a few times and solved it by luck shortly.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Having one of those days in which the game detects that I have no follow-up-capable characters on my team, and therefore it is right to offer me Elation blessing after Elation blessing at every opportunity.

(TECHNICALLY, the "Ultimates count as follow-ups" blessing would make that viable... but that one coming up is a longshot.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've seen some people mention AoE stuff not being as good, but it seems like most bosses have adds and it's often pretty nice to be able to hit them as well. While I like Sushang, I sometimes find myself missing the phys MC's "hit adjacent enemies" Skill since it's useful for breaking shields. Why is it that AoE still ends up not being considered as useful?

Araganzar posted:

Forget about 5*, I can't seem to get my 4* roster filled out, and this is with the welkin and the $15 and $30 packs:

I'm also missing Tingyun and (I think) Sampo as well.

Revitalized posted:

That at least seems to be the case for the Bailu one; the "convert healing output to damage" thing seems specifically designed for Bailu's bouncing healing skill that does a high amount of raw healing (versus Natasha who does a DoT, and I'm guessing that the total DoT healing doesn't count towards outgoing healing when she uses her skill).

I have a hard time noticing the extra damage, though. The damage numbers pop up so fast that I don't know which one is from the Bailu skill, and most of my characters do multi-hit attacks (like Sushang or Welt). It's not clear from the description whether it does damage in the element of the LC holder (so electric in this case) or whether it does damage in the element of the character attacking and triggering it. I'd assume the latter just because I don't think I'm seeing lightning damage accompanying everyone's attacks after doing a Bailu heal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ytlaya posted:

I've seen some people mention AoE stuff not being as good, but it seems like most bosses have adds and it's often pretty nice to be able to hit them as well. While I like Sushang, I sometimes find myself missing the phys MC's "hit adjacent enemies" Skill since it's useful for breaking shields. Why is it that AoE still ends up not being considered as useful?

I'm also missing Tingyun and (I think) Sampo as well.

That at least seems to be the case for the Bailu one; the "convert healing output to damage" thing seems specifically designed for Bailu's bouncing healing skill that does a high amount of raw healing (versus Natasha who does a DoT, and I'm guessing that the total DoT healing doesn't count towards outgoing healing when she uses her skill).

I have a hard time noticing the extra damage, though. The damage numbers pop up so fast that I don't know which one is from the Bailu skill, and most of my characters do multi-hit attacks (like Sushang or Welt). It's not clear from the description whether it does damage in the element of the LC holder (so electric in this case) or whether it does damage in the element of the character attacking and triggering it. I'd assume the latter just because I don't think I'm seeing lightning damage accompanying everyone's attacks after doing a Bailu heal.

Adds start having serious amounts of hp to where the minor splash damage erudition characters do doesn't have much value. When instead of chunking and deleting something that'd take any other hunt char but Seele multiple turns to take out it, it only does like 10% hp, a second hunt char would've been more useful. As well there are plenty of times where you're doing multiple turns just vs a boss and the damage loss is pretty significant vs just hyper carry team or double dps.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I accidentally used a ticket on the light cone warp instead of the character one and got the featured 5 star card. I am very lucky, and yet I am upset.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GateOfD posted:

the puzzle i had the most trouble was the rotating clock ones to align the arrow. didn't really pay attention how many clicks each one moved when i got to the one that moved two at a time, just randomly pressed a few times and solved it by luck shortly.

I feel like there are two kinds of rotation clock puzzle:

1) The kind where you can just solve each ring in order: totally trivial
2) The kind where you can't because every setting affects two rings: I just press things at random until it works

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Took three tries on World 4 between last week and yesterday. Stepped into World 5 expecting to lose, so I just ran Destruction since I was missing more of those blessings. Ended up clearing in one shot! Very cool, if a little harrowing in the last phase.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

personally I don't agree that AoE is not useful because it definitely is, I've been using serval a lot and she does a lot of work (tho she is arguably the best erudition unit currently and mine is E3). BUT part of the problem is its a lot harder for aoe to be as useful as single target - very often in fights with multiple units they have different resists, and most aoe skills only hit adjacent units so hitting multiple weaknesses with 1 person is rare. and obviously their single target damage vs bosses is going to be much lower so once adds are out of the picture they are significantly worse than a 2nd dps or a harmony buffer. Some bosses do benefit from frequent AOE but for quite a few, multiple ST units will perform better.

anyway the game is definitely designed for you to be raising more than just 1 team so there's definitely room to have some AOE units, but they're optional - you ALWAYS want a strong single target damager on your team, plus a healer and probably a tank... theres not a lot of room to play with

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do characters with skills like Welt's or Asta's (that hit multiple times against random enemies) factor into that? Those are sorta-AoE but also get all their damage stacked on a single enemy if it's the only one left.

Vitamean posted:

Stepped into World 5 expecting to lose, so I just ran Destruction since I was missing more of those blessings. Ended up clearing in one shot! Very cool, if a little harrowing in the last phase.

This is part of why I was surprised when I beat World 4 on the first go; I was just picking up blessings I didn't already have (on the assumption that I wouldn't finish the run), and a lot were pretty worthless for my run.

I got kind of lucky with curios, though (and had more freedom in choosing them since I haven't chosen very many so far). At one point I did an event that got rid of two random curios and replaced them with others, and it gave me a "makes destructible field items show up more often and give more rewards" curio and a "damage goes up for each field item destroyed" one (which probably helped make up for my team against the boss being super low on DPS - my Fire MC's Ult was actually doing respectable damage, probably thanks to that).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 9, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Going back to some of the character relationship stuff being discussed earlier it is kind of funny that what styles itself the Shipping wiki appears to be all Mihoyo content on the trending tab and lists Kiana and Mei as a "God Couple" which is technically accurate but lol at such a specific category existing. Again Shipping Wiki not specifically Mihoyo Shipping Wiki. :lol:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tingyun is the 4* I'm still missing here. In terms of 5*s, I got Clara as my original guaranteed, and picked up Bailu and Seele on Seele's banner - Bailu at or just shy of pity, and Seele on an extremely lucky very next 10-pull. I got up to 80 pulls last night on the standard banner before pulling a 5*, and it was the LC "But the Battle isn't Over"... which really isn't terribly useful for my main team. Drawing it did make me look at Asta more though, so she's currently next in line for getting her level maxed (main team + common rotations are at 50, everyone else is 40 currently).

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lord Koth posted:

Tingyun is the 4* I'm still missing here. In terms of 5*s, I got Clara as my original guaranteed, and picked up Bailu and Seele on Seele's banner - Bailu at or just shy of pity, and Seele on an extremely lucky very next 10-pull. I got up to 80 pulls last night on the standard banner before pulling a 5*, and it was the LC "But the Battle isn't Over"... which really isn't terribly useful for my main team. Drawing it did make me look at Asta more though, so she's currently next in line for getting her level maxed (main team + common rotations are at 50, everyone else is 40 currently).

Same here, no Tingyun. My Hook is at E4, Natasha and Serval at E2, Herta and Arlan at E2 but unused, Qingque, Sampo and Pela at E1, the rest just one copy.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

How do characters with skills like Welt's or Asta's (that hit multiple times against random enemies) factor into that? Those are sorta-AoE but also get all their damage stacked on a single enemy if it's the only one left.

Welt mostly just hits like two targets hard or one target really hard. Asta is interesting in that she Breaks a single target fast but really wants a bunch of adds for her Atk Buff so she is either boosting the team or just shredding a boss. Kind of an oddball in that she is one of the only supports that really wants to match the Boss Weakness, Tingyun for example can do damage but her ability to break is basically nonexistant.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Aw yeah, finally got through the hump that is World 3. :toot:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm kinda proud of my self for getting to phase 3 of world 3 on my first go at it, despite being capped to level 40 and having really only Sushang wearing relics that have been upgraded at all

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'd probably feel better about Erudition if the skill point economy wasn't so choked.

Both hunt and erudition units are tuned where if they're not ramming their skill button every single turn they're functionally a wasted slot because their normal attacks loving suck rear end even traced out, and they're not providing any other utility, so this means that most of your skill points are being spent on your damage doing their job and that doesn't leave a ton of spare change for the rest of your party to spend, and that spare change has to be split between necessary heals/buffs/debuffs/extra damage.

If it was actually efficient to bring both a hunt DPS to handle the boss and an erudition DPS to handle the adds, the class would feel more attractive, but as it is you're probably better just bringing another utility unit to buff your hunt more to kill the adds that way because of the other utility the extra support will bring. There's also the whole argument that it's better to have a hunt unit vaporize one add and then the other than having an erudition unit chip all the adds down at the same time because adds do 100% of their damage until they die.

Jing Yuan might sidestep these issues just because of his kit allowing him to do strong single target damage so he can slot into the hypercarry role a lot better than the existing erudition units.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

abundance good imo.

Went with the Path of Resonance skills that remove debuffs, and causes abundance to automatically trigger in the action order and it nullified the entire last 2 phases of the Kafka fight. Plus your team is just constantly buffed the gently caress out if you get the "gain x buff on heal" traits. Natasha was a bit redundant in the last third of the SU but her ULT was a good Oh poo poo button whenever Kafka would decide to do two AOEs in a row.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I had kind of expected Sim World 6 to end with Cocolia going into her Mother of Deception form instead of just a soft-enrage style version of her regular fight. I think re-purposed and harder versions of fights with new mechanics like FFXIV does with some of it's bosses is exactly what one of my buddies wanted to see out of this game and probably Genshin too. Like I remember Genshin once had a totally different much more aggressive version of the Oceanid fight with different lines and attack phases, but they never seemed to really do anything particularly like that again.

Kind of not surprising that the hardest challenge bosses so far in this game are elite monsters, followed by mechs, followed by the handsome blond dude, followed by a powerful humanoid sized robot, and then at the very apex, the dangerous women. I mean that's how power tiers generally seem to work out in Honkai Impact 3rd (except for Kevin maybe), so it's very typical Mihoyo. Curious to see if this pattern follows into whatever the next phase of things are or not though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have a bone to pick with Scott

As in, his bones.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kale posted:

I had kind of expected Sim World 6 to end with Cocolia going into her Mother of Deception form instead of just a soft-enrage style version of her regular fight. I think re-purposed and harder versions of fights with new mechanics like FFXIV does with some of it's bosses is exactly what one of my buddies wanted to see out of this game and probably Genshin too. Like I remember Genshin once had a totally different much more aggressive version of the Oceanid fight with different lines and attack phases, but they never seemed to really do anything particularly like that again.

Kind of not surprising that the hardest challenge bosses so far in this game are elite monsters, followed by mechs, followed by the handsome blond dude, followed by a powerful humanoid sized robot, and then at the very apex, the dangerous women. I mean that's how power tiers generally seem to work out in Honkai Impact 3rd (except for Kevin maybe), so it's very typical Mihoyo. Curious to see if this pattern follows into whatever the next phase of things are or not though.

Cocolia ice queen form is a weekly boss so they can't repurpose that for SU.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the thing about why some might think erudition isn't as valuable as it can be is because in most elite and boss fights, if you kill the adds, the boss will keep respawning them regardless. Usually after a full turn, and sometimes just killing the main elite ends the fight altogether. If your not in a position where you have to mitigate damage closely, its just easier to do damage to the elite or boss since they can have quite the hp pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

There's a few encounters where the adds are way more important though such as Bronya having Weakness Lock until you take out her guards or the big frog blob thing that likes to spawn adds that it'll eat a turn or two later for buffs. There's also Gepard where using AoE makes shredding through his shield faster since it's a giant shared shield. If they wanna give Erudition more value just designing more encounters like those would be a good way.