Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Resdfru posted:

Anybody run tailscale in docker? I don't have it in front of me but I do have the key or whatever in a volume I think. Something I found online when trying to fix this. Anyway, everytike the container starts up it can't auth to tailscale. Maybe someone here has a fix that isn't just run it on the OS.

I do, yeah. I'm not sure I understood if you're having issues with maintaining authentication state, or trouble authenticating in the first place, but for the former it's important to persist /var/lib/tailscale. If you have an auth key you should be able to pass it via the TS_AUTHKEY environment variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Keito posted:

I do, yeah. I'm not sure I understood if you're having issues with maintaining authentication state, or trouble authenticating in the first place, but for the former it's important to persist /var/lib/tailscale. If you have an auth key you should be able to pass it via the TS_AUTHKEY environment variable.

Thanks Keito, I was about to reply to say "I'm doing both of those things!" I pulled up my docker compose to make sure and I have the authkey env var in there but I never actually put the authkey in the compose file or passed it in via docker env

:ughh:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a recommendation for a self-hosted web-based RSS/Atom reader? There are soooooo many to choose from.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I've been using tt-rss since forever and have always been happy. Wouldn't be shocked if there are new and fancyer alternatives though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use freshrss with Reeder on my MacBook/iPhone. You can also easily access it from the webgui if you'd like.

It looks like this:

I've heard miniflux is good if you don't care about webgui access.

edit: Apparently tt-rss is a one-man operation and he's a bit of a jerk about change requests

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2023

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Corb3t posted:

I use freshrss with Reeder on my MacBook/iPhone. You can also easily access it from the webgui if you'd like.

It looks like this:

I've heard miniflux is good if you don't care about webgui access.

edit: Apparently tt-rss is a one-man operation and he's a bit of a jerk about change requests

The author of TT-RSS is an 11/10 rear end in a top hat, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find another alternative I like. I use the filtering rules extensively along with some plugins to inline articles into the reader even if they've got "read more" links, remove articles with keywords I don't care about, etc.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been playing around with zipline in conjunction with the ShareX app & browser extension, it's pretty nice so far. Though it's missing the ability to generate bbcode so hopefully I can find some time to submit a PR. Some video previews would also be nice

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

The author of TT-RSS is an 11/10 rear end in a top hat, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find another alternative I like. I use the filtering rules extensively along with some plugins to inline articles into the reader even if they've got "read more" links, remove articles with keywords I don't care about, etc.

I tried out a few of the self-hosted RSS reader options but the newsblur webapp and mobile app work so darn well, and none of the self-hosted options I've come across has been compelling enough to make a switch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

I'm not sure what your exact needs are, but FreshRSS has extensions support, including stuff like RSS-Bridge, Readable, and Embedded YouTube and such.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 9, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They’re not super useful for the most part imo, at least the official ones. If there is a “read more” FRSS version I don’t know about I’d love to hear about it.

This said between the web interface and Reeder on my Mac stuff it’s about perfect.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

They’re not super useful for the most part imo, at least the official ones. If there is a “read more” FRSS version I don’t know about I’d love to hear about it.

This said between the web interface and Reeder on my Mac stuff it’s about perfect.

Would something like mercury parser work?

Edit:

This blog says FreshRSS can create queries that automatically star articles with keywords like TT-RSS, and this blog talks about some strategies around getting full articles in FreshRSS.

Not sure if it helps or if it's worth the hassle, but there's bound to be some FOSS evangelists who might prefer FreshRSS over TT-RSS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I got mercury parser working in docker on my unraid server with FreshRSS. Not sure if it's better than TT-RSS + Plugins, but it seems like a nice enough addition. I also went ahead and added a bunch of other extensions (I hadn't messed with them before).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 9, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Thanks for the suggestions, gonna try out FreshRSS.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This week I got my first home server/NAS build up and running on unraid. The main function (Plex) is working well, so now I’m exploring other possible uses.

One of these is a nanny cam for our dogs, with the ability to peek in from our phones while we’re not at home. Security is obviously critical here, as this would be a camera and microphone inside our living room. I don’t even know where to start to look for the pieces that will make this possible. There are of course off the shelf options which host on Amazon or some other corporation’s servers but per the spirit of this thread I want to host it myself.

Anyone here done this before and have recommendations? Or maybe there’s no sufficiently secure way to do this at all?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

bawfuls posted:

This week I got my first home server/NAS build up and running on unraid. The main function (Plex) is working well, so now I’m exploring other possible uses.

One of these is a nanny cam for our dogs, with the ability to peek in from our phones while we’re not at home. Security is obviously critical here, as this would be a camera and microphone inside our living room. I don’t even know where to start to look for the pieces that will make this possible. There are of course off the shelf options which host on Amazon or some other corporation’s servers but per the spirit of this thread I want to host it myself.

Anyone here done this before and have recommendations? Or maybe there’s no sufficiently secure way to do this at all?

Not sure about the hardware side, but in terms of being able to securely see the camera feed assuming it's being fed to the server, Unraid has Wireguard built into it which makes it easy to set up a VPN link from your server to your mobile devices so you can get to any app without needing to expose any ports. Or you can install Tailscale which uses the same tech but eliminates the need for any Public IP updates (though this means it's a semi-cloud service). So as long as you can find a camera that can be fully locally hosted you can definitely do this securely.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

Or you can install Tailscale which uses the same tech but eliminates the need for any Public IP updates (though this means it's a semi-cloud service).
Sounds encouraging, can you expand on this? Not sure I understand the distinction here.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Haven't used Wireguard but I assume since its all you you'll have to know what your public IP is at home, or have a dynamic dns address or something?

Tailscale recently updated their pricing so the free plan is pretty useful for most use cases. https://tailscale.com/blog/pricing-v3/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bawfuls posted:

One other thing you can do to add a bit more security/peace of mind, is hook the camera up to a smart outlet, and set up said smart outlet to turn off when you’re at home. Essentially, the camera is only powered up when there’s nobody around but the dogs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Chevy Slyme posted:

One other thing you can do to add a bit more security/peace of mind, is hook the camera up to a smart outlet, and set up said smart outlet to turn off when you’re at home. Essentially, the camera is only powered up when there’s nobody around but the dogs.

It would be a bummer for an incident to occur when you're at home and the cameras are off though, and you don't end up with any footage of it.

There can be funny things that happen too while you're at home that are fun to save a clip of.

Blue Iris + IPTV cameras seems to be a popular option. Securely syncing off-site to something like backblaze would be helpful as well, depending on the type of incident you are hoping to capture on video, like if your NAS is stolen.

I went the Ubiquiti Protect route with their cameras, with off-site backups via unifi-protect-backup. Probably more expensive than the alternative, but they do have a pretty slick web & mobile interface for the cameras. I use an 8TB SSD for local video storage which holds about 22 days of footage from 9x 1080p cameras and 1x 4K camera and scrubbing through videos is lightning fast

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
So I'll use my setup as an example, I have Wireguard set to point to a web domain I own and use Cloudflare to handle DNS. So in Cloudflare I have an A Record that points to my public IP address so traffic gets routed to the right place. Occasionally my ISP will change my public IP and that A Record needs to get updated with the new IP (in the app store is a containerized script called Cloudflare ddns to do this automatically for me). If you don't have a domain you can configure Wireguard directly with your Public IP but you have to update every device's config when that IP changes.

Tailscale basically handles all that DNS stuff for you, so their app is Wireguard plus a service that calls out to Tailscale's servers occasionally with your public IP so that if your IP changes it gets updated automatically at their end. It means setup is super simple but it also means that if Tailscale goes down you'll lose connection because the traffic basically routes through them.

I actually also have Tailscale implemented on my PiKVM as a backup, it is fantastically simple to set up.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just because of how I have it configured but Wireguard lets me connect and then have regular access to my home network, Tailscale is device to device.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use wireguard since I already needed to setup ddns for my other services like nextcloud anyway.

The ddns is super simple to setup, though I guess that image hasn't been updated in 2 years so that worries me a bit.

https://hub.docker.com/r/oznu/cloudflare-ddns/

edit: use this one instead. It's actually maintained
https://github.com/favonia/cloudflare-ddns

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 9, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I thought I saw in a spaceinvaderone video that there’s a way to do the wireguard setup, and have the IP updated automatically when it changes, without your own domain, by using duck dns. But maybe I misunderstood what he was explaining there?

For now I’m not interested in off site backups of the camera feeds as this is just dog monitoring while we’re out of the house for a few hours at a time. Down the road if we decide to add exterior security cameras I could see the benefit of off site backups there.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 9, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

bawfuls posted:

I thought I saw in a spaceinvaderone video that there’s a way to do the wireguard setup, and have the IP updated automatically when it changes, without your own domain, by using duck dns. But maybe I misunderstood what he was explaining there?
Yeah, it's essentially the same process but you're using DuckDNS for the domain and DNS handling vs something like Cloudflare.

bawfuls posted:

For now I’m not interested in off site backups of the camera feeds as this is just dog monitoring while we’re out of the house for a few hours at a time. Down the road if we decide to add exterior security cameras I could see the benefit of off site backups there.
To clarify, I'm not using it for another system that's doing off-site backups (though that's definitely a valid use case), I use it as a backup VPN to Wireguard in case my main server is down for some reason.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If you're self hosting anything you should just get a domain and set up let's encrypt with traefik or whatever reverse proxy you like and save yourself a bunch of time and annoyance with cert issues.

https://major.io/2021/08/16/wildcard-letsencrypt-certificates-traefik-cloudflare/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Aware posted:

Check the nginx logs to confirm it's seeing requests would be my starting point. Thisll either point you back towards your network as an issue or your nginx/container setup.

This turned out to be great advice, thank you!

Not this time, DNS! It was NAT and I just can’t have ports forwarding properly because of this stupid ISP.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Scruff McGruff posted:

Also, I'm not sure if this is just because of how I have it configured but Wireguard lets me connect and then have regular access to my home network, Tailscale is device to device.

You can do the same thing with Tailscale if you have a pihole set up. Their documentation assumes you’re running it on a Raspberry Pi but it works on anything that can run the software. I have it set up this way so I can access my home network remotely without having to run Tailscale on every machine.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1114/pi-hole/

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

You can do the same thing with Tailscale if you have a pihole set up. Their documentation assumes you’re running it on a Raspberry Pi but it works on anything that can run the software. I have it set up this way so I can access my home network remotely without having to run Tailscale on every machine.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1114/pi-hole/

Good to know! I sort of assumed this was possible since, again, Tailscale uses Wireguard, but I haven't poked around enough in it to really understand what it can do. I did the "install from the CLI and it just works" and declared that good enough since really the purpose it to get me into the PiKVM so I can then get my Unraid server back online with it's Wireguard, lol.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Scruff McGruff posted:

Good to know! I sort of assumed this was possible since, again, Tailscale uses Wireguard, but I haven't poked around enough in it to really understand what it can do. I did the "install from the CLI and it just works" and declared that good enough since really the purpose it to get me into the PiKVM so I can then get my Unraid server back online with it's Wireguard, lol.

If you don't need to use an internal DNS but just route traffic to your LAN you can setup a subnet router. That's how I have my network setup.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I have wireguard setup, but have failed to be able to access my DNS (by adguard home) through it so far. Everything else works, but this part just bugs me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hogofwar posted:

I have wireguard setup, but have failed to be able to access my DNS (by adguard home) through it so far. Everything else works, but this part just bugs me.

Are you using docker/podman? If so what does your run/compose/systemd entry look like to start the container?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I run the tailscale plugin on my OPNsense firewall/router and can get into the home network via subnet that way. Works good so far but just need to figure out how to tell tailscale to not turn itself on when its back on the home network.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

This turned out to be great advice, thank you!

Not this time, DNS! It was NAT and I just can’t have ports forwarding properly because of this stupid ISP.

Ah you might want to look at Cloudflared tunnelling then which would get around CGNAT depending on what you're trying to serve.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you using docker/podman? If so what does your run/compose/systemd entry look like to start the container?

I am using Docker to run both wireguard and adguard home. Both are pretty standard setups and I haven't done any network magic (mostly because I don't know what config would fix the issue)

Adguard Home is just running the container (adguard/adguardhome) with the proper ports open. I can access it fine on the local network as long as I am not connecting through wireguard.

For wireguard I am using https://github.com/perara/wg-manager but I will probably change it to wg-easy. Basically running the compose that is in there.

Edit: I switched to wg-easy and it is so much better. It also has a guide for use with pihole that I followed (modifying for adguard home) and it seems to be working! https://github.com/WeeJeWel/wg-easy/wiki/Using-WireGuard-Easy-with-Pi-Hole

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 12, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Corb3t posted:

I got mercury parser working in docker on my unraid server with FreshRSS. Not sure if it's better than TT-RSS + Plugins, but it seems like a nice enough addition. I also went ahead and added a bunch of other extensions (I hadn't messed with them before).

I forgot about the thread so forgive me being late to the party. That's pretty neat and I'll have to check it out. Most of the places I pull from right just kind of dump everything into the feed....object? so I usually don't have to click through but it might be fun to tinker with it.

On a related note, since we're using RSS in the year of our lord 2023, does anyone have some blogs they're fond of? I'm always looking for another source to pull from.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a slightly related note I'd love to know if anyone has found a good replacement for longform.org since it shut it's doors.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone with recommendations for VPN solution similar to tailscale? Tailscale is pretty great except you can't specify the IP address for each individual devices.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

lostleaf posted:

Anyone with recommendations for VPN solution similar to tailscale? Tailscale is pretty great except you can't specify the IP address for each individual devices.

Why do you need/want to manually choose IP addresses?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just use wireguard directly?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Keito posted:

Why do you need/want to manually choose IP addresses?

I mainly use tailscale for access to the nas on my network. I normally assign something really simple ip for access like 10.0.0.5. The ip assigned by tailscale is pretty random.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

I mainly use tailscale for access to the nas on my network. I normally assign something really simple ip for access like 10.0.0.5. The ip assigned by tailscale is pretty random.

Does your use case here mean you can’t type the machine name in instead of the ip address?

Like I don’t know my nas’s ip because on everything I use to interact with it, I’m on tailscale, and it’s just called “nas”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

tuyop posted:

Does your use case here mean you can’t type the machine name in instead of the ip address?

Like I don’t know my nas’s ip because on everything I use to interact with it, I’m on tailscale, and it’s just called “nas”.

Unfortunately not, the nas is just a regular windows 10 pc and I'm trying to access the network share from android. It's not a huge deal but I was hoping for something like tailscale. Tailscale was pretty cool. Everything was up and running within 5 minutes. I already have a caddy reverse proxy setup for jellyfin. I suppose it's not a huge deal to just forward some extra ports so wireguard will work.