Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

If you bring blood pudding, do you have to retire from chess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm a big fan of the King's Indian, but the Scandinavian opening is totally unplayable in this format

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AARD VARKMAN posted:

bringing my secret weapon to the world championship: a vintage bag of sun chips

Hahaha

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've reached the point where more of my games are starting to be decided by one of us missing a tactic vs one of us just outright hanging a piece for free, and it's starting to feel like a very different game. Like, the pieces are still hanging, but now they're hidden behind tactics. For instance, here's a Rapid game I punted twice in 4 moves.

Their 1. Qe3 was wrong, and I knew it and I spent 90 seconds before settling on 1. ... Bf4, thinking it was going to win me the exchange. But I didn't follow either important move past their first response because ... Qxe3, fxe3 hangs their Knight and my move doesn't win the exchange, it lets them have Nf5 attacking back. So

1. ... Bf4
2. Nf5 Bxe3
3. Nxh6+

And do I see Bxh3 up a piece for a pawn? I do not. I'm so concerned with not doubling my pawns I snap off Rxh6 in 6 seconds and lose down a pawn 25 moves later.

I know they say these are exactly the kinds of mistakes you WANT to make, the ones where you think for 90 seconds and still get it wrong. It's just wild (neat? proof of growth?) that I've gone from total slop to whatever level of play this is (like, 1400 on lichess) since January. Time to take 2 weeks off of Blitz for puzzles, I suppose.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 5, 2023

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Huxley posted:

And do I see Bxh3 up a piece for a pawn? I do not.

The bishop’s ability to move backwards is often overlooked to players’ detriment.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

The bishop’s ability to move backwards is often overlooked to players’ detriment.

When I'm on the computer and not under time pressure, I'll sometimes start every move by drawing lines from every bishop on the board to the edges, just because I've blundered so many times in this exact way. I've gotten better about it, for sure. I've mostly stopped losing Rooks in the corners to discovered attacks. Mostly. Hard game, long road.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I've been doing a lot of puzzles lately instead of playing games to just recognize situations and it really helps with identifying this stuff. I would've forced the queen exchange early and just grabbed the free knight and be up 3 points easy peasy. Of course, it is a lot easier when you haven't already set your mind on a plan of attack. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I kept trying to find a mate for white from the position before that shown queen move. Something like a queen sac on b7 to tempt the rook off the back 8 rank and then a rook checkmate, but the bishop is guarding the f8 square and can block. If this were a blitz game and I was white I'd have wasted a full minute looking for a mate that's not there. And then blundered my queen with some dumb loving move immediately afterward.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Huxley posted:

I've reached the point where more of my games are starting to be decided by one of us missing a tactic vs one of us just outright hanging a piece for free, and it's starting to feel like a very different game. Like, the pieces are still hanging, but now they're hidden behind tactics. For instance, here's a Rapid game I punted twice in 4 moves.

Their 1. Qe3 was wrong, and I knew it and I spent 90 seconds before settling on 1. ... Bf4, thinking it was going to win me the exchange. But I didn't follow either important move past their first response because ... Qxe3, fxe3 hangs their Knight and my move doesn't win the exchange, it lets them have Nf5 attacking back. So

1. ... Bf4
2. Nf5 Bxe3
3. Nxh6+

And do I see Bxh3 up a piece for a pawn? I do not. I'm so concerned with not doubling my pawns I snap off Rxh6 in 6 seconds and lose down a pawn 25 moves later.

I know they say these are exactly the kinds of mistakes you WANT to make, the ones where you think for 90 seconds and still get it wrong. It's just wild (neat? proof of growth?) that I've gone from total slop to whatever level of play this is (like, 1400 on lichess) since January. Time to take 2 weeks off of Blitz for puzzles, I suppose.

i don’t follow your logic as to why you didn’t just play Qxe3. they basically have to capture back with their pawn and then your bishop picks up their knight. what am i missing?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fart simpson posted:

i don’t follow your logic as to why you didn’t just play Qxe3. they basically have to capture back with their pawn and then your bishop picks up their knight. what am i missing?

You are missing a man who over thought his position, which was the point of the post

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh ok i thought he was trying to explain why Qxe3 didn’t work

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

Admittedly, this is wrong-headed, but it was the thought process of a 900-1000 ELO player.

"OK, so bishop chops the knight gives up a good piece for a medium one and doesn't give me an attack follow-up. Plus it opens up their Rook. Meh.

Queen takes queen, pawn takes back and that also opens the Rook but also gives them a partner for the isolated d pawn.

Bishop f4 chases off the queen and I win the exchange if he plays Qe1, the rook if he runs the wrong way, and maybe both if they blunder Rxc1."

So I missed that the pawn retaking the Queen also hung the Knight, and I missed they had an attack back on my Queen after Bf4, and I missed the bishop back to h6.

In fact, the computer says Bf4 was only a quarter pawn worse than Qxe3 but only if I see Bxh6 in the second screenshot.

Plenty of opportunities for me to learn.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Huxley posted:

Admittedly, this is wrong-headed, but it was the thought process of a 900-1000 ELO player.

"OK, so bishop chops the knight gives up a good piece for a medium one and doesn't give me an attack follow-up. Plus it opens up their Rook. Meh.

Queen takes queen, pawn takes back and that also opens the Rook but also gives them a partner for the isolated d pawn.

Bishop f4 chases off the queen and I win the exchange if he plays Qe1, the rook if he runs the wrong way, and maybe both if they blunder Rxc1."

So I missed that the pawn retaking the Queen also hung the Knight, and I missed they had an attack back on my Queen after Bf4, and I missed the bishop back to h6.

In fact, the computer says Bf4 was only a quarter pawn worse than Qxe3 but only if I see Bxh6 in the second screenshot.

Plenty of opportunities for me to learn.

oh ok yeah i see what you mean

also this is a good example of why you can’t really trust computer evals blindly. Qxe3 might only be 0.25 computer points better but the follow up move to hold that advantage is insanely easier to find, so for you it’s a much much better move

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The c2 pawn in this situation is what I've heard called an 'overworked' piece. There's a saying that if one piece is defending two things at once it isn't really defending anything. Whenever you have two pieces defended by the same piece and nothing else there is very often tactics afoot, it's a good thing to be looking for all the time in any position.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This ones neat

https://lichess.org/training/dNpgT

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

"ah yes, you can't trade rooks yet because it allows the king to get too close to the pawn, but I have seen that because I am very intelligent"
*guesses Rd2*
...Rd2 2. Ke1 is pretty obvious in retrospect :sweatdrop:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Dawning Horror posted:

...Rd2 2. Ke1 is pretty obvious in retrospect :sweatdrop:

After ...Rd2 White can still just capture the rook and win. 2. Ke1 would let Black squeeze out a draw.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Redmark posted:

After ...Rd2 White can still just capture the rook and win. 2. Ke1 would let Black squeeze out a draw.

After ...Rd2, if White takes the rook, Black gets a queen. If white goes 2. Ke1, Black replies with c2 to kill White's rook but keep its own.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chamale posted:

After ...Rd2, if White takes the rook, Black gets a queen. If white goes 2. Ke1, Black replies with c2 to kill White's rook but keep its own.

after ...rd2 2. rxd2 cxd2 3. ke2 stops black from queening

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnoHito posted:

after ...rd2 2. rxd2 cxd2 3. ke2 stops black from queening

Sorry, I got it backwards, I meant to say that ...rb2 is the winning move. The board orientation from Black's perspective messed me up.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sataere posted:

I've been doing a lot of puzzles lately instead of playing games to just recognize situations and it really helps with identifying this stuff. I would've forced the queen exchange early and just grabbed the free knight and be up 3 points easy peasy. Of course, it is a lot easier when you haven't already set your mind on a plan of attack. :v:

This right here. When I review my games I pretty often catch myself missing the, sometimes obvious in hindsight, best move because I get too set on my idea versus analyzing the board state at that moment.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
had a game with an opposite side king attack i actually felt good about

black played e2, white to play and win

one of those positions where i'm sitting there telling myself i have to be winning since my attack is a hair faster, but having to calculate very hard to prove it. normally i feel like i let the pressure get to me and blunder the advantage (and in a position this delicate, the game), but i was actually able to grind it out this time

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

one of those positions where i'm sitting there telling myself i have to be winning since my attack is a hair faster, but having to calculate very hard to prove it. normally i feel like i let the pressure get to me and blunder the advantage (and in a position this delicate, the game), but i was actually able to grind it out this time

I feel like a lot of the time, my instincts are good on the next move because that is what I thought it was, but I couldn't find the second move after that. And in true chess fashion, once I saw it, it was so loving obvious.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Wow, it does not seem like mate should be that much work from that position, and yet. Like you'd think after double check with two queens and two rooks in the attack it has to be over.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fisting by many posted:

Wow, it does not seem like mate should be that much work from that position, and yet. Like you'd think after double check with two queens and two rooks in the attack it has to be over.

thats what i assume too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres a puzzle that lichess made from one of my real games. i was white (and i ended up winning the game) but black has a move to win here that my opponent missed. can u find it?

https://lichess.org/training/Q4qvH

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

fart simpson posted:

heres a puzzle that lichess made from one of my real games. i was white (and i ended up winning the game) but black has a move to win here that my opponent missed. can u find it?

https://lichess.org/training/Q4qvH

I don't have much in the way of chess skills but I do recognize this endgame!

...Kh4 to cover the pawn all the way to promotion.

This might be the one endgame tactic I can actually employ.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yep! my opponent went bishop to d1 and then tried pushing his pawn but it didnt work anymore and then i flagged him on time in a drawn position

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I will never attempt to solve a puzzle with that theme I'm sorry.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I will never attempt to solve a puzzle with that theme I'm sorry.

He linked to the puzzle on lichess, tbf

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mortal posted:

He linked to the puzzle on lichess, tbf

I use the same theme on lichess.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fisting by many posted:

yeah, it's why i willingly went into this sequence even though i had major back rank issues, like there are so many pieces in the attack that there should be a checkmate there. i choose this position to share because this is where i realized i had miscalculated from a distance. i saw 31. rh8+, kf7 32. g8=q+, but i mixed up where the rook would be and thought this was a double check that prevented the king from retreating along the 7th rank. sitting down and figuring out if i could keep checking on every move after both ...ke7 and ...rxg8 had me sweating

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

nice

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Broke new ground in Averbakh theory today. Here's the game:

[Round "8"]
[WhiteElo "2082"]
[BlackElo "2338"]
[ECO "A56"]

{Before the round starts we are informed the power might go out at some point. My opponent is 15 minutes late.} 1.c4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.e4 c5 4.d5 {I had planned to play the fianchetto KID but here transition to the Averbakh plan.} 4...d6 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Be2 O-O 7.Bg5 h6 8.Be3 e6 9.dxe6 {The power goes out. After 40 minutes we agree to a draw.} 1/2-1/2

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That opening was played by Boris Gelfand against a young Ding Liren in Paris at the Alekhine Memorial Tournament 2013, but they continued Bxe6 instead of power outage. Why did I look this up I don't know I think its to avoid doing my job at work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i liked this puzzle:
https://lichess.org/training/9sdNR

black to move and win

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

No wonder the queen looks so happy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i liked this puzzle:
https://lichess.org/training/9sdNR

black to move and win

That is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Here's one from one of my games this tournament.

Black to move. Evaluate Bxe2.