Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Today I have learned that the Viz app subscription is different from the Shonen Jump app subscription? Still cheap, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

saw a new manga on the web app called 'handsome must die'. incredibly bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mother's Basement did a thing on Seven Deadly Sins, a show that like him I binged when it first came out and enjoyed the first season well enough before promptly forgetting about it and... good heavens.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Man that's a harsh title coming from him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Seven Deadly Sins is a very meathead battle series but the manga is much better than the anime since it got a poorly staffed/scheduled mess of an adaptation

The art in the manga is really good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ConanThe3rd posted:

US/CAN only. Its not quite the sawdust in the mouth Kodansha's offering is but its not far off it.

Have they launched their app yet? Is it good?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Seven Deadly Sins the anime basically got the reverse streaming effect, where it was regularly recommended by the Netflix Algorithm and people would click after watching idk One Punch Man and see the outrageously poo poo final season. So to a lot of zoomers it became "the worst anime ever"

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not yet, but it's almost certainly going to be in the garbage purchase coins/limited chapters per day style that some other services use.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Not yet, but it's almost certainly going to be in the garbage purchase coins/limited chapters per day style that some other services use.

Shame. Viz's "3 bucks a month to read a hundred chapters a day" is about perfect.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

I don't get why everyone just doesn't copy Viz(I get it why) poo poo like Comikey makes keeping up with series a pain if you miss out on their arbitrary window. Hate that I dropped Kengan because of it.

Kinda related to SDS is Kongou Banchou a good read?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I don't get why everyone just doesn't copy Viz(I get it why) poo poo like Comikey makes keeping up with series a pain if you miss out on their arbitrary window. Hate that I dropped Kengan because of it.

If you like the same kinda insane action yes

newershadow
May 18, 2014

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

The K Manga apps are scheduled to be released tomorrow - you can see their listings on both Google Play and the Apple Store. The images do show some sort of daily points system, which isn't great for catching up but maybe it's enough if you're just trying to catch simulpubs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Absolutely. I wish there were better quality scans but Kongou Banchou absolutely loving rules a lot and honestly I wish it got a sequel instead of 7DS.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did anyone else lose their continue reading section after updating the viz app? I can't find it anywhere on there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I first read Kongou Banchou because of this thread (or an earlier incarnation) and I far prefer it to seven deadly sins.

SDS to my mind peaked very early with Meliodas catching and throwing back a spear over like 3 miles.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the first anime season of SDS was really good, and especially the early parts. It got pretty bad quickly after that though

except for escanor

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Best Kongou Banchou moment was when the party were running a gauntlet of 1x1 fights and Hikyou Banchou (AKA Midriff Batman) was set up against a dude with a Kabuki gimmick that looked extremely powerful but he had to forfeit because Hikyou poisoned him with laxative food a day earlier and forced Kabuki guy to go to the bathroom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kongou banchou goes hard but at no point is the story even slightly coherent.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Kongou Banchou rules. Shark Banchou was my fave, he’s even got the outfit!

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Kingtheninja posted:

Did anyone else lose their continue reading section after updating the viz app? I can't find it anywhere on there.

Apparently when they launched the new Viz subscription, they also added a new Shonen Jump app that you have to download and sign into separately to get that back, for Jump/Jump+ series only.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

the first anime season of SDS was really good, and especially the early parts. It got pretty bad quickly after that though

except for escanor

Escanor continually carried the story on his back and humbled an entire family line in the process. I do enjoy the sequel series about the four horsemen but it took a while to really get it's legs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hooooly poo poo the Viz app just added an insane smount of new series

Like just looking it over...

Magi

I recommend reading Magi to people who haven't. It has a really neat atmosphere/feel to it that I found far more compelling than most fantasy shounen stuff. Can't exactly explain why I liked it as much as I did, but it's at least worth trying out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I remember really liking Magi, but I fell off around when they went to the magic school and faced off with dumbledore and scharezade`s... clone?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I remember really liking Magi, but I fell off around when they went to the magic school and faced off with dumbledore and scharezade`s... clone?
Wow that was exactly when I lost interest too, I went back and finished it but there's a lot I don't remember. It's an ok series but it has that shounen thing where characters introduced early on become world-historically important because they stick around in the narrative and it feels wrong. Alibaba going from being a guy to the most special human in the world just doesn't suit him imo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Magi deserved more recognition, even though I do think its second half is significantly weaker than the first half. And it's pretty clear (to me, anyway) that there was a lot of friction between the the author and the magazine near the end - hence why both her series there just kinda abruptly end and she immediately goes to work for a different publication.
She can't seem to catch a break. She's apparently suffering from health issues that have made her resort to monthly chapters of her current series, Orient. And now that's apparently going to be ending soon. I didn't read much of it because it wasn't really grabbing me with its characters and world like Magi did. What's worse is that the anime didn't receive nearly the same amount of care as Magi's, so I couldn't even make it past one episode of that. Still, it's a bummer to see her apparently going through a rough time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I started to lose interest in Magi after The Alma Torran flashback which was a slog when reading weekly and firmly pushed the stakes into crazy territory. I also just stopped liking Sinbad as a character but the story kept him front and center That aside, Magi had some incredibly good worldbuilding, characters, art, and story for a good chunk of it's run. Ohtaka really did create a believable world of magic and myths and the core examination of politics and the qualities of those who would be king was really well done. Alibaba was a fantastically flawed character and Aladdin's own struggles during the magic school arc were two incredibly strong character arcs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That section didn't bother me because it ends pretty abruptly; in hindsight I think it's a strong part of the story.

The late end-game stuff is much weaker IMO, but I think it still holds up better than the endings of most long-running shounen series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I think the ending arc of magi got a real bad pacing to it that slowed down at parts and rushed others. I also wanted to see more of the epilogue as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

except for escanor

An interesting bit of historical trivia?

If memory serves, the first season of Seven Deadly Sins got the highest ever average ratings of any show in the Nichigo timeslot.

The followup half-season got the lowest average ratings of any show in the timeslot's original run.

Some of it was just the general decline for ratings in general, but it is a nice microcosm of the arc of Seven Deadly Sins in terms of popularity.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Magi's final arc is a mess of interesting ideas that aren't fully explored, as well as a cool roadmap that it ends up not following. I'd love to see a more refined version of it from an alternate timeline, but what can you do. Still a shame that Morgiana gets unceremoniously sidelined, but that's the being-a-woman-in-shonen problem. The wedding was very sweet, though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the best part of season 1 of sds was that it had a man with a mission op

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That bit where the main cast blew up the setting's version of the Tower of London by having, in effect, two sayians having a frat bro-off (inadvertently weaponising the power of friendship) was funny too.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 10, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

That bit where the main cast blew up the setting's version of the Tower of London by having, in effect, two sayians having a frat bro-off (inadvertently weaponising the power of friendship) was funny too.
"This ancient seal was designed to hold back TEN terrible dragons" :smug: "There is no escape"

*Most intense back slapping and arm wrestling match ensues*

"Impossible!!!!"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

the best part of season 1 of sds was that it had a man with a mission op

The best part to me was realizing that at no point up until the climax were the SDS ever taking any of this seriously. I thought it was pretty funny at least.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Released today and it is, indeed, absolute dogshit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Just copy Viz drat it :negative:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently it has a lot of censorship too

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Just checked it out today out of curiosity to see just how bad it was.

You get 1 free chapter per series per day, 2 if you're willing to watch ads, and after that gotta use 69 (nice) hard currency points to unlock chaps. Live-updating series only let you use tickets on the first half of the series, the second half you gotta buy each ch - and the most recent couple chapters cost 99p instead of 69p.

The cheapest non-limited way to buy points is 515p for $4.99 USD, so for the price of subscribing to both the Viz and Shonen Jump apps for a month, you unlock at most 7 chapters lmao.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Apparently it has a lot of censorship too

On a related note it is weird how many of the new Viz series just have totally uncensored T&A considering they banned entire series from the app for that prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

On a related note it is weird how many of the new Viz series just have totally uncensored T&A considering they banned entire series from the app for that prior.

https://twitter.com/G0ffThew/status/1656107697497071616?s=20