Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ericht: A Fallen Legend
Guel: A Rival Living a Lie
Prospera: A Visionary Robbed of Her Future
ChuChu: A Sniper Deprived of Her Turds
Nika: A Technocrat Who Stands Her Ground
El4n/El5n: A Youth Who Curses His Fate
Belmeria: A Wise Woman Denied her Homeland
Suletta: A Ghost Without a Past
Sophie and Norea: Those Who Don't Exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

I feel that while The Blessing is good and the lyrics are neat, Slash is a better OP song, even though both OPs are decidedly rather mid visually.

RedBirthmark is the GOAT though. Holy poo poo is it a good ending.

Eh, I'm just not a fan of how Slash just ends mid-note. And The Blessing's visuals have a lot more dynamicism in how characters move, while Slash has a lot of times where people just stand around doing nothing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

Ericht: A Fallen Legend
Guel: A Rival Living a Lie
Prospera: A Visionary Robbed of Her Future
ChuChu: A Sniper Deprived of Her Turds
Nika: A Technocrat Who Stands Her Ground
El4n/El5n: A Youth Who Curses His Fate
Belmeria: A Wise Woman Denied her Homeland
Suletta: A Ghost Without a Past
Sophie and Norea: Those Who Don't Exist

Bel is way closer to Huey, a brilliant scientist who makes valid points about the failings of others but also is a loathsome little poo poo themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

amigolupus posted:

Eh, I'm just not a fan of how Slash just ends mid-note. And The Blessing's visuals have a lot more dynamicism in how characters move, while Slash has a lot of times where people just stand around doing nothing.

Agreed. I just think that Slash is tonally a better fit for the show overall than The Blessing. At the end of the day theyre still just fairly routine pop singles. OPs also have to do a lot to impress me visually and I don't think either OP has been particularly standout in that regard. It's your usual cast lineup stuff with some nice bits of animation here and there and whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Bel is way closer to Huey, a brilliant scientist who makes valid points about the failings of others but also is a loathsome little poo poo themselves.

Oh absolutely but I was taking the red band trailer quotes and Huey's tag tagline was a perfect fit for Nika.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh absolutely but I was taking the red band trailer quotes and Huey's tag tagline was a perfect fit for Nika.

Nika has not once stood her ground.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Nika has not once stood her ground.

Perhaps not physically but it's hard to stand with a boot on your face.

She made it quite clear during her talk with Sabina that she's not about to change her mindset.

Besides, it's not like Huey ever stands his ground, no matter what his tagline says

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 9, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

amigolupus posted:

it's all that angst

yuri and regular

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/k3flick/status/1655436803330158593

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1656050041868681216?t=uO5WSb_glf87bMHbtgXRzA&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Eri might have been doing it unconsciously but it could also be the Llfrith protecting its new friend.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/osawa841/status/1655574244338683905?s=20

Still not ruling out this exact scenario

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ravenndei628/status/1655777202770939905?s=46&t=hYF4DBv-yILl3j4LNUsZwg

I find it darkly hilarious that people are referring to the events of Episode 17 as “The Divorce”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've missed the point of that conversation then. Miorine was probing Suletta to see how deep that conditioning ran, if there was any hope at all of finding something Suletta would balk at doing for even a moment, and it was obvious trying to convince Suletta was a waste of time by that last question.

I perfectly understood the conversation, I just still think it's wildly out of character for Miorine.

Suletta's mistake in S1 that got Miorine so angry at her in the first place was drawing incorrect conclusions from hints and assumptions rather than directly asking about problems. She looked at Miorine and Earth House's behavior and made an assumption that everyone actually completely hated her and didn't need her around without ever going to anyone and directly asking "hey uh do you guys hate me???", and Miorine verbally rips her apart about it.

In this situation, Miorine makes an assumption about Suletta based on some leading questions and innuendos, and then instead of directly questioning Suletta about those assumptions(as in "Suletta, I'm seriously worried that your mom might be a bad influence on you and we need to talk about it"), decides to make some sweeping decisions that will permanently alter Suletta's life without ever actually directly consulting Suletta about it. This is doubly egregious because Miorine's biggest struggle in life was trying to break out of being a powerless puppet who had authority figures making all the decisions about her life for her, and Suletta is the one who allowed her to break out of that shell in the first place.

If the writing goal here was to make Miorine look like a complete hypocrite I think they succeeded with flying colors, but I don't know if that was necessarily intended. It's a level of shittiness even beyond the obviously intended "Miorine is trying to be the bad guy to Harry and the Hendersons Suletta".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 10, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/cinapinna/status/1656056764205260802?t=N807UkT6gYLF0C24-s09Lw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goddammit I haven't seen the Binky Arthur meme template in a while.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Missed the best part

https://twitter.com/cinapinna/status/1656056959232081924?s=46&t=hYF4DBv-yILl3j4LNUsZwg

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Kanos posted:

I perfectly understood the conversation, I just still think it's wildly out of character for Miorine.

Suletta's mistake in S1 that got Miorine so angry at her in the first place was drawing incorrect conclusions from hints and assumptions rather than directly asking about problems. She looked at Miorine and Earth House's behavior and made an assumption that everyone actually completely hated her and didn't need her around without ever going to anyone and directly asking "hey uh do you guys hate me???", and Miorine verbally rips her apart about it.

In this situation, Miorine makes an assumption about Suletta based on some leading questions and innuendos, and then instead of directly questioning Suletta about those assumptions(as in "Suletta, I'm seriously worried that your mom might be a bad influence on you and we need to talk about it"), decides to make some sweeping decisions that will permanently alter Suletta's life without ever actually directly consulting Suletta about it. This is doubly egregious because Miorine's biggest struggle in life was trying to break out of being a powerless puppet who had authority figures making all the decisions about her life for her, and Suletta is the one who allowed her to break out of that shell in the first place.

If the writing goal here was to make Miorine look like a complete hypocrite I think they succeeded with flying colors, but I don't know if that was necessarily intended. It's a level of shittiness even beyond the obviously intended "Miorine is trying to be the bad guy to Harry and the Hendersons Suletta".

Miorine ended that conversation in the greenhouse because a) She basically already had all the answers she was going to get and b) she was incredibly afraid of the next logical question, which is kind of the point. Miorine is afraid and is acting based on that fear. A fear not of Suletta but for her and the future. So Miorine casts herself as the villain, and she models herself as the biggest villain in her life, her father.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's telling that Miorine cut off Suletta when asking her if she'd give up on Aerial. Suletta told her in the greenhouse how bad she felt after killing the man and almost had Miorine with her until she went down the "mother knows best!" route again. On some level Suletta does know that her answers to Miorine's questions are upsetting because she tries to apologize for the greenhouse comments. Then Miorine asks her if she'd give up Aerial. Suletta is about to answer that she wouldn't because Aerial is family.

Here is where I think there is a break between a true feeling Suletta possesses and what Miorine might only see as Prospera's hand. Suletta spent years alone with only Aerial as her companion while Prospera was out on business trips. The relationship that Suletta has with Aerial is something Suletta made on her own, rather than something Prospera engineered (though she did foster it to her own ends, of course).

Miorine's fault in this episode comes from not knowing where Suletta's true feelings begin and what was implanted in her by Prospera. So when Suletta says she wouldn't abandon Aerial, she's not hearing Suletta's genuine connection with her sister, she's only hearing Prospera tell her "you think Suletta will give up Aerial so easily?" To Miorine it just sounds like another manipulation from Prospera. And so she doesn't hear Suletta out or try to understand her reasoning. It's all Prospera, no further investigation needed.

Miorine doesn't know where the person she loves starts and ends, all she can see are the strings, real and imagined. And she'd rather cut them all at once instead of going through piece by piece always wondering which thoughts are Suletta and which are Prospera. She doesn't have the time to deprogram Suletta in a safe and healthy way, Shaddiq's fuckery and Prospera's threats have put everyone on a short timetable where the only options are a small catastrophe or a really really big catastrophe.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 10, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hellbore posted:

Miorine ended that conversation in the greenhouse because a) She basically already had all the answers she was going to get and b) she was incredibly afraid of the next logical question, which is kind of the point. Miorine is afraid and is acting based on that fear. A fear not of Suletta but for her and the future. So Miorine casts herself as the villain, and she models herself as the biggest villain in her life, her father.

I have no issue with her ultimately making the terrible decision that she does - I want to be clear, I think it's a perfectly valid narrative direction for the show to go into and I don't have a beef with that - so much as I think it's weird for her character that she didn't even really make a desperate attempt to do anything but the terrible decision.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She was totally rushed into that decision. She thinks she doesn't have the time to fix suletta delicately when the plot is moving so fast, so she weighed her options and made a bad choice for good reasons, presumably with some contingency plan backing it up based on what she knows. It's not out of character for her, she just got outplayed by Prospera.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
The confrontation between Mio and Prospera at the end of Ep.16 is important here, because that's where Prospera heavily implies that her revenge timetable is getting short and if Miorine doesn't become the Group President and complete Quiet Zero with her, she'll be forced to use more drastic methods. So in Miorine's mind there's no time left to untangle Suletta, getting her out of harms way (i.e. Prospera and the corporate conflict) has to be done now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it's really sad that suletta was questioning her mom's decision and had been reflecting on killing someone and clearly had some trauma about it during the school attack. miorine absolutely had the space to potentially turn suletta around on it, but she never even tried, because she avoided her bride outside of a few brief moments that seemed to confirm that suletta wasn't having an internal conflict about these things (because yeah she's not going to present herself that way to miorine in the precious few moments miorine gives them together).

~just two people failing to understand each other in a gundam show~

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just watched the first season of this (and looked back in the thread at when it was airing).

As someone who just watched it all at once, Elan 4 had a way bigger impact on me than anything else, including the finale post-credits scene. That was just extremely sad, especially how no one even notices. And not only do they not notice, but Elan 5 comes in and acts like a huge rear end in a top hat; it's like if you secretly died and some clone of you took your place and started being lovely to everyone (I mean, I guess this is literally what happened so the simile is unnecessary).

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Prospera implicitly threatens to continue harming Suletta unless Miorine does this exact thing tomorrow while also continually guilt tripping her and pressing basically every emotional button she has. I feel like there's a bizarre number of people seeing Miorine as a dumbass who's trusting a supervillain for no reason and not a kid who's being emotionally blackmailed by an abuser because she wants to save her girlfriend

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She can be blackmailed and still be a dumbass. Not that she's trusting Prospera, but that her methods are so nuclear that the consequential fallout will be worse than Miorine thinks.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

She can be blackmailed and still be a dumbass. Not that she's trusting Prospera, but that her methods are so nuclear that the consequential fallout will be worse than Miorine thinks.

I don't think that in Miorine mind, the consequences can be worse than what she thinks, since she clearly fears for Suletta's safety if she is a part of Prospera's revenge. Miorine's clearly afraid and panicking and grabbed the first lifeline that was thrown, since she was out of options. Which is of course exactly Prospera's plan, ever since Delling was taken out of commission and Quiet Zero was threatened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitznBurst posted:

Prospera implicitly threatens to continue harming Suletta unless Miorine does this exact thing tomorrow while also continually guilt tripping her and pressing basically every emotional button she has. I feel like there's a bizarre number of people seeing Miorine as a dumbass who's trusting a supervillain for no reason and not a kid who's being emotionally blackmailed by an abuser because she wants to save her girlfriend

What's the worst part is Prospera's turned everyone on themselves and just walked out the door because she (probably) has no further need for any of them or Asticassia anymore.

Also I'd reckon the Schwarzette Gundam will be Prospera's. Watch that big sword be a tuning fork or wand or something to conduct/control Quiet Zero, akin to the antenna rigs on the back of the Lfriths.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Prospera comes out flying the Schwarzette and casually drops that Nortrette is the AI just to gently caress with Miorine and Delling further.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

BlitznBurst posted:

Prospera's demands are:
1. Miorine becomes president
2. Miorine uses the presidency to complete quiet zero
3. Suletta participates in 1 more duel

This hard sever (or even suletta losing) are 100% miorine original

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Prospera's demands are:
1. Miorine becomes president
2. Miorine uses the presidency to complete quiet zero
3. Suletta participates in 1 more duel

This hard sever (or even suletta losing) are 100% miorine original

The sever comes from Prospera essentially telling Mio that if she wants Suletta out, she needs to come in. So to keep her out she goes for the throw rocks until they hate you approach, which as we know never results in them coming back, maybe in some kind of heroic moment, with tearful heartfelt apologies, etc. Never happened in any media ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why did Prospera show up at Earth House in #16, anyway?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Suletta made them sound nice. :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meowywitch posted:

She came back to Asticassia on the same shuttle as Miorine because she needed one more duel and because she wanted to keep tabs on Miorine/gently caress with people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

To cause problems on purpose

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

To get up in Miorine's grill to secure continued support for Quiet Zero, and also presumably to set up the very situation we're all arguing about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is this recap on Sunday gonna work? Will it get an episode number or is it just an interview/podcast thing?

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

How is this recap on Sunday gonna work? Will it get an episode number or is it just an interview/podcast thing?

Probably just a clip show with some narration overlayed. That's how the clip show between 6 and 7 last season went. I don't think they've announced anything like the cast interview though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hellbore posted:

Probably just a clip show with some narration overlayed. That's how the clip show between 6 and 7 last season went. I don't think they've announced anything like the cast interview though.

Did that season 1 clipshow ever air outside of Japan?

Also I'm reassessing my thought that Aerial and Rebuild are separate machines. The trailer footage that showed Suletta in a different pilot suit hopping into the OG Aerial made me think they were separate but now with Aerial stripped of Eri I've got a different thought.

Without Eri inside the Gundam the Llfrith AI is the SYS 2.0 rather than the Eri-fied SYS E.S. Aerial the Gundam might be non-functional when Jeturk engineers start inspecting it. Maybe without Eri the Llfrith AI refuses to cooperate, so in order to figure out what makes it tick they downgrade Aerial from the rebuild back to the original form, hoping some factory reset might help them work out the kinks. And then it'll only be when Suletta hops back inside the Season 1 Aerial that it activates again because Llfrith recognizes Suletta being like Eri and accepts her as a pilot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Did that season 1 clipshow ever air outside of Japan?

I don't think it did actually.

We actually might be getting a special radio show on the 14th though. Instead of Ichinose (Suletta) and Lynn (Miorine), it will be Azakami (Guel), Otsuka (Lauda) and Hirose (Petra).