Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So how are you guys in MV powering your MV machines? I'll be using light fuel then eventually disel when I get that part of the process setup. Do I just put generators near my machine line and a 64/128/256 tank near by that I keep topped off? Can I have my power further away from my machines now? And do generators that use fuel have to be covered from rain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The electric one that pops up its own UI? You can just wave that sucker in the air and it works.

No I didn't realize there was an electric one separate, so I ended up cheating in a UHV regular one back in steam age.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

So how are you guys in MV powering your MV machines? I'll be using light fuel then eventually disel when I get that part of the process setup. Do I just put generators near my machine line and a 64/128/256 tank near by that I keep topped off? Can I have my power further away from my machines now? And do generators that use fuel have to be covered from rain?

You don't need to be nearly as aggressive with banking fuel when you're using oil derivative fuels. The energy density for even light fuel is 600 times more than steam. This means that not only is the 16,000mB internal buffer (in LV) is more than enough for most cases, but the issue with fluid flow that steam has is essentially nonexistent. Plus, as you tech up you can make pipes out of better materials (such as Potin, which is basically made with waste products.)

Once you have moved off of steam to a more energy dense fuel, the typical "wiring" scenario is to actually move fuel in pipes and have the generators as close to what they're powering as possible. The fuel pipe is effectively a zero-line-loss "wire" in this scenario. This pattern will serve you until EV/IV, when you start centralizing power around your Lapotronic Super Capacitor and the dumbfire EV+ generators that require redstone control and being able to read a central energy buffer to function optimally.

Generators contain electricity, so they must be sheltered from rain.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

quick tip for those entering mv- regular-rear end clay in the extruder makes pipes that have pretty decent throughput! it's an extremely cheap way to move things like diesel around your base. just keep in mind it can't do gases.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yep, as a note 80k diesel (16k generator storage and a stack of cells) is 38.4 million EU(before generator efficiency loss), which will last over 4 hours continuous use at MV, or 17+ hours in an LV machine. You can certainly get by without hooking your generators into your fuel storage system, but it doesn't hurt to use tanks. HV generators burn fuel a lot faster so you'll want to either use super tanks or link directly to your fuel production/storage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started dong some math on building the infinite storage disk for refined and oh lol this is going to be a thing.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

GetDunked posted:

Nomi is The Good One

What are the main differences between nomi and GTNH? Only thing I know about GTNH is that they seem to actively hate the thought of players having fun without taking painfully long steps to get there, and I know nothing about nomifactory

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I started dong some math on building the infinite storage disk for refined and oh lol this is going to be a thing.

Is that the one that requires antimatter or singularities? :allears: I noped out hard on that one, I made the second-largest storage disk in the modpack I was in and said "i will never hope to fill this disk, let alone the other disks I already installed, I'm good."

Holyshoot posted:

Like other people said, Pipe Fuel Not Power. It's easier to move fuel to your workstations and put a generator there than it is to wire up long runs of cable to different machines. You'll only be able to run 2, maaaaaybe 3 machines at the same time, anyway, unless you're trying to swap out literally every LV machine with its MV equivalent, which I don't recommend.

If there's a machine that has a 120EU/t recipe you're going to be using all the time, give it its own turbine, and put that turbine directly against the machine. If you can fit a couple together, minimize the wiring. I have 1 cable on 1 turbine that I'm currently switching machines on for the fiddly manual-made stuff for one-off recipes.

Don't feel like you have to replace every LV machine immediately. An LV bending machine will make Vanadiumsteel plates just as good as an MV bending machine will, if its under 32EU/t then it's worth keeping around, and LV turbines are more fuel efficient anyway.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

What are the main differences between nomi and GTNH? Only thing I know about GTNH is that they seem to actively hate the thought of players having fun without taking painfully long steps to get there, and I know nothing about nomifactory

Nomifactory is balanced around peaceful/non-combat while also offering early-ish infinite resource production through deep-mob-learning and more advanced resources later through mining rockets. Overall it's just a much more chill GT experience that's more singularly focused on building up a mass-production factory. Has much less overall content than GTNH, obviously, and also doesn't have the same megastructures but if you just want a more factorio-minecraft hybrid it's very good. You also gain access to QoL like AE2 much, much earlier.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Umbreon posted:

GTNH slams your dick in a door repeatedly, forever.

Nomifactory lets you slam your own dick in a door repeatedly, forever.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Another thing that may influence your decision is that GTNH is a 1.7.10 modpack whereas Nomi/Omni is 1.12, if there are other mods you want to use alongside it. (although that isn't to say that it's old or undeveloped, the GTNH team has and continues to do great work on keeping its mods up to date). GTCE is 1.12 as well I think although I haven't tried that one myself

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gregtech will make you take three weeks to build a setup of dozens of blocks to accomplish the same thing that one block and 30 minutes would solve in a different modpack. That'll either be the most frustrating thing in the world or, if your brain is wired up weird, you'll feel like king poo poo of gently caress mountain.

I assume Nomifactory is a happy medium between the two?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
GTNH is weird in that it's 1.7.10 but they've made it work with Java 17, but Nomi is 1.12.2 and only supports Java 8.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bawk posted:

gregtech will make you take three weeks to build a setup of dozens of blocks to accomplish the same thing that one block and 30 minutes would solve in a different modpack. That'll either be the most frustrating thing in the world or, if your brain is wired up weird, you'll feel like king poo poo of gently caress mountain.

I assume Nomifactory is a happy medium between the two?

Nomifactory is pretty close to GTNH but with much easier resource gathering and generation and takes out some of the more annoying poo poo like lossy cables for everything that force you to generate power as close as possible to power consumers. It still has the very long production chains and complex recipes that make GTNH fun.

There are still lossy cables but there are also superconductors that are fairly cheap and conversion from RF to EU is free so you can use energy conduits to move power around then use energy converters to convert from RF to EU wherever you want to put the machines.

It also removes the infernal mobs.

Also they've added other types of easy power generation for early and mid game.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 9, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Does Nomifactory CEU edition have all the extra machines GTNH does? I really want to play with the extra complexity but I also enjoy playing on Peaceful and if you need mobs to progress in the game that's unfortunate.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does Create have a method to trigger redstone off of a belt's contents or loaded/empty status?

I have babby's first cobble generator -> millstone -> gravel washer for iron nugget generation, but the single cobble drill overloads the millstone and spills loose cobble all over my floor. I want to wire the millstone feed belt to a clutch on the drill to turn it off/on automatically.

God only knows when I'll tech up to assemblers and crushing wheels, so stopgap solution it is. I also have no idea what to do with the 'waste' flint this setup generates.

E: Classic 'ask and then you find the answer'. The Content Observer. I kept looking for belt doodads.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2023

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Shipon posted:

Does Nomifactory CEU edition have all the extra machines GTNH does? I really want to play with the extra complexity but I also enjoy playing on Peaceful and if you need mobs to progress in the game that's unfortunate.

You don't need mobs to progress GTNH except wither stars but if you hate minecraft combat just cheat em in. There's a way to produce them but it requires you to have one first so it's totally fine to cheat in one and then use the production method for the rest. I'm also not 100% sure how galacticraft handles peaceful mode given the boss-based progression but you can also cheat in rocket schematics and be done with it. (if you feel bad about cheats you could enforce that you have to find a nether fortress to cheat in the nether star and you have to find the galacticraft dungeons to cheat in the schematics)

Oh and you'd also want a lot of ender pearls but given the expected method of acquisition is jamming a regenerating infernal enderman into a smeltery to infinitely harvest his ender blood into pearls, you could also cheat in a creative upgrade on an ender pearl drawer and call it the same thing.

But yeah, the complexity is the main draw of GTNH. Not that Nomifactory is at all casual, they're two sides of the same coin and you gotta be a little crazy to enjoy either.

Arrath posted:

Does Create have a method to trigger redstone off of a belt's contents or loaded/empty status?

I have babby's first cobble generator -> millstone -> gravel washer for iron nugget generation, but the single cobble drill overloads the millstone and spills loose cobble all over my floor. I want to wire the millstone feed belt to a clutch on the drill to turn it off/on automatically.

God only knows when I'll tech up to assemblers and crushing wheels, so stopgap solution it is. I also have no idea what to do with the 'waste' flint this setup generates.

Speed up your millstone? Slow down the belt that leads into it? Probably easier than trying to rig an on/off switch. Or just push the cobble into a chest above a chute that leads into the millstone so you're not direct-feeding the millstone from the cobblegen?

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shipon posted:

I believe it has most if not all of them. Nomi GTCEu Port is a much better experience than GTNH if you want to play on peaceful.

I'm playing GTNH on peaceful and I keep tweaking the config to make it less of a PITA and I realized I'm just slowly reinventing Nomifactory.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Speed up your millstone? Slow down the belt that leads into it? Probably easier than trying to rig an on/off switch. Or just push the cobble into a chest above a chute that leads into the millstone so you're not direct-feeding the millstone from the cobblegen?

Sadly its all a bunch of compromises. I like the sleek-ish look of my machine at the moment, and changing gear ratios to speed up the millstone would make it ugly as hell, or require rejiggering a few bits and adding a basement portion to secret away a set of big cogs. Adding a chest to buffer the cobble before the millstone would just delay the problem, it would fill eventually and lead to cobble covering my floor again. Same with slowing the belt, that'll just make it start spewing cobble even earlier. Turns out, once I figured out what the Content Observer was called, redstoning it up was pretty easy.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Also, I believe nomifactory gives you empty cities you can set your base up in, so you don't have to deal with making a base either.

Edit: Whats an easy way to get some move speed on my boots? Get lucky with enchanting? I got a pair of speed 2 boots but they eventually broke and disappeared because I didn't have the levels to repair them. I am bad at minecraft and enchanting.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 10, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Despite having broken into HV, I'm in the process of reorganizing my base. I consolidated my LV setup to about half its footprint by slightly expanding part of it while also removing LV machines I really haven't been using in a while. Those machines aren't getting recycled though, they're probably going to be reused in smaller setups for dedicated processes where applicable. I also took the time to double my EBF multiblock, sharing walls and coils where possible. No clue how I'd upgrade it to a 4x one though, there's so many inputs to account for on the lowest level of it. It'd cost more raw materials, but I might eventually just make a second 2x EBF somewhere else.

The HV Chem Reactor unlocks Eyes of Ender, so I detoured for a little while

My next big goal is making a Cleanroom. I think I know where I want to put it, but I still need to make a bunch of materials for it, and I should really set up proper polyethylene and tandem PVC production lines before doing so.

Holyshoot posted:

Edit: Whats an easy way to get some move speed on my boots? Get lucky with enchanting? I got a pair of speed 2 boots but they eventually broke and disappeared because I didn't have the levels to repair them. I am bad at minecraft and enchanting.

The Haste enchantment on boots lets you walk faster. I found a pair randomly enchanted with Haste III and it was really nice.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Holyshoot posted:

Also, I believe nomifactory gives you empty cities you can set your base up in, so you don't have to deal with making a base either.

Yeah, you can either change your world gen to lost cities and start out that way or make an item to go there from the standard overworld. The cities are nice and full of loot including ender swords with teleport built in that are easy to find. However, the large multistory buildings are kind of a trap for your base if you're like me and prefer to build vertically and end up stacking several hundred machines, conduits and AE2 system in a single chunk.

The other downside to Lost Cities is it's pretty much all cities and that gets old after a bit. There are some natural areas but the biggest one I've found was maybe 8x8 chunks and was weird:

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 10, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Had a fun one this morning where I ended last night by setting up some additional bees with a babee in their hives hoping for a few offspring. Jumped in the server this morning to find babee works. Almost too well. There was a drat swarm of crystalline and diamond bees all over the base. So my little morning sessions turned into a cleanup session.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had a fun one this morning where I ended last night by setting up some additional bees with a babee in their hives hoping for a few offspring. Jumped in the server this morning to find babee works. Almost too well. There was a drat swarm of crystalline and diamond bees all over the base. So my little morning sessions turned into a cleanup session.

I did that once and left it AFKing from 10 or 11 PM to 6 PM the next day. :shepface: 15x15x15 glass bee box filled to the brim

E: they should probably make it so bees can fill up empty hives with new bees but once there are no valid homes for bees they stop spawning so we don't end up with hundreds of homeless bees cluttering up an area

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 10, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been ignoring my armor and weapons all this time so I’m about to dip my toes in Apotheosis and maaaaaan this is a lot. I should just maybe make some allthemodium armor, enchant it, and call it a day. The bosses that constantly spawn in The End and The Other are owning me something fierce so I need some serious upgrading I just don’t know which wat to go.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IIRC you should be able to just craft some different bookshelves to boost your different enchanting bars, I think getting some dragons breath will let you craft end-level bookcases that max it all out pretty far. I never touched a lot of the extra stuff in the pack, I would just throw a piece of gear on an enchanting table with the higher tier bookcases and the random rolls would always give pretty good results. Put an anvil and grindstone nearby to reroll useless enchants and and combine some of the better ones, just as long as you have a mob farm that gathers XP you can avoid custom tailoring stuff. Level 85 enchants go pretty hard

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

To add on to that, you can crush apotheosis gear and gems to get materials that let you put Apotheosis affixes on other gear, so you can do things like make Allthemodium armor, slap level 100 enchants on it, and then slap Apotheosis affixes on it too, to make it stupid powerful.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Make an Enchantment Library and you can produce a book with every single enchant you want on your item so there's no anvil cost.

You can extract enchantments from the loot you find exploring the world using e.g. an Industrial Foregoing Enchantment Extractor and throw those books into your Enchantment Library.

Be careful if your modpack gives you loot Enchantment Books at a higher level than you can produce naturally, if you put those books into your Enchantment Library it'll properly store the point value of that enchantment but you won't be able to extract a book at that level.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 10, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So here was my attempt at an almost closed loop system of making iron chloride III so I could learn setups like this. The only issue is I couldn't figure out how to get the iron chloride III out. How would I adjust this? I am doing chlorine tank on the left into chemical reactor with hydrogen cells and chlorine as the fluid which sends the hydrochloric acid to the right that is an LV tank that flows into another chemical reactor and the empty cells to the same chemical reactor below it which get turned into hydrogen cells with the byproduct being iron chloride III. Here is my setup. The iron dust is the only manual input that goes into the bottom chemical reactor being sucked in by a conveyor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

So here was my attempt at an almost closed loop system of making iron chloride III so I could learn setups like this. The only issue is I couldn't figure out how to get the iron chloride III out. How would I adjust this? I am doing chlorine tank on the left into chemical reactor with hydrogen cells and chlorine as the fluid which sends the hydrochloric acid to the right that is an LV tank that flows into another chemical reactor and the empty cells to the same chemical reactor below it which get turned into hydrogen cells with the byproduct being iron chloride III. Here is my setup. The iron dust is the only manual input that goes into the bottom chemical reactor being sucked in by a conveyor.

For Iron Chloride III in single blocks, what you want to do is point the auto-outputs of the two chemical reactors towards each other, use a screwdriver to allow input from the output side, and auto-output items. Choose the HCl and Iron Chloride III recipes that output cells. This way, the cells just bounce back and forth between the two chemical reactors forever with a closed loop of hydrogen. Use pump covers ("electric pump") to insert chlorine on the first reactor and extract Iron Chloride III from the second. No pipes required.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For Iron Chloride III in single blocks, what you want to do is point the auto-outputs of the two chemical reactors towards each other, use a screwdriver to allow input from the output side, and auto-output items. Choose the HCl and Iron Chloride III recipes that output cells. This way, the cells just bounce back and forth between the two chemical reactors forever with a closed loop of hydrogen. Use pump covers ("electric pump") to insert chlorine on the first reactor and extract Iron Chloride III from the second. No pipes required.

Auto-outputs being the orange square side of the machine?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Auto-outputs being the orange square side of the machine?

Depends on your texture pack but yeah, the small square side that you can adjust with a wrench.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh poo poo I didn't realize screwdriver allowed you to access an option to input from the output side! I can consolidate a few processes now, like my solar grade silicon one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Now they just need to let me hook up a cover to the machine face itself so I can put power/items/liquids on that side too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I really wish there was a combined items/fluids pipe or some kind. Though admittedly I've only looked into GT pipes so maybe there is such a thing in another mod. I've seen the quadruple and nonuple fluid pipes though haven't really figured out how I'd use them in anything so far. Maybe that'll change once I build a large chemical reactor.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
It's loving wild how high your durability can jump in your tools when you swap into some of the EBF material. My hammer now has 60,000 durability when it had 4.5k originally. My pickaxe is around 20k. Now I guess I'll never need to repair. Sad part is I'm probably going to use these tools far less then I would have earlier game.

Does the EBF stop trying if it voids a craft due to lack of power or does it void that one then try again when it has enough juice? Came back to what seemed like less than what I put in, but I could be wrong because the way my power to it is setup it'd have to be a blood moon into a rain while I'm offline for me to completely lose all power to it. Oh well, either way I'm at over 1k aluminum but was just curious how it works exactly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Does the EBF stop trying if it voids a craft due to lack of power or does it void that one then try again when it has enough juice? Came back to what seemed like less than what I put in, but I could be wrong because the way my power to it is setup it'd have to be a blood moon into a rain while I'm offline for me to completely lose all power to it. Oh well, either way I'm at over 1k aluminum but was just curious how it works exactly.

I think it shuts off, so you can go troubleshoot and fix it before it voids all the inputs

Also :tviv: I think this is the part where you handily overtake how far along I am in MV. I just made my second big batch of aluminium thanks to Kanthal Coils and I made a cool 256.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FPzero posted:

Yeah I really wish there was a combined items/fluids pipe or some kind. Though admittedly I've only looked into GT pipes so maybe there is such a thing in another mod. I've seen the quadruple and nonuple fluid pipes though haven't really figured out how I'd use them in anything so far. Maybe that'll change once I build a large chemical reactor.

EnderIO conduits work that way, you can run items, fluid, power and me network all together in any combination of those and input and extract from all of them (except ME, that's just a straight ME connection) on a single face of a machine.

EnderIO is one of my favorite mods, the conduits are amazing.

Both GTNH & Nomi have EnderIO, though it's available/viable much earlier in Nomifactory.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

I think it shuts off, so you can go troubleshoot and fix it before it voids all the inputs

Also :tviv: I think this is the part where you handily overtake how far along I am in MV. I just made my second big batch of aluminium thanks to Kanthal Coils and I made a cool 256.

Eh I think your infrastructure is better then mine. I have no passive farms setup really outside of light fuel and refueling my coke ovens that make charcoal blocks for steel. I have about 330 hours played with actual play where I wasn't afk in game (running a server) at 290 hours probably. I feel like I take forever to get through the tiers because I get distracted by stuff a lot. I had over 1000 steel ingots before I hit LV proper. Also recently the GF has been going out mining while I tinker in the factory since she doesn't care for all the machine stuff. Here is my LV & MV progression.

Edit: I misread and thought you said I overtook how far along you are. I'm sure I'll still be behind because I spend more time planning how I want stuff set out then I do actually implementing it.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

By default, if a multiblock runs out of power, it will void whatever inputs it was trying to process, then shut itself off. Restarting the multiblock requires you to physically visit the machine and coerce it with a soft mallet to start again.

You can attach a Machine Controller cover to a multiblock to override this. With a machine controller cover, a power underrun will cause the multiblock to enter a voiding loop, continually mulching inputs every tick until power is restored. Use of the safe mode toggle in the cover's UI restores the previous functionality, except you need to reconfigure the cover on event of a power underrun instead of the typical soft mallet violence strategy. (The machine controller is mostly for enabling redstone control of machines.)

RandomBlue posted:

EnderIO conduits work that way, you can run items, fluid, power and me network all together in any combination of those and input and extract from all of them (except ME, that's just a straight ME connection) on a single face of a machine.

EnderIO is one of my favorite mods, the conduits are amazing.

Both GTNH & Nomi have EnderIO, though it's available/viable much earlier in Nomifactory.

There's no IC2 or GT power conduit, but otherwise, yeah. Conduits are pretty convenient and easy to use.

That being said, in GTNH, it's pretty important to be sparing with conduit use once you have access to AE2. Early game it won't matter, but conduits always perform more poorly than an equivalent AE2 system, unless you deliberately try to make a garbage AE2 setup. (Think strobing a toggle bus or something; don't ever do that.) Fortunately, since most GTNH processes move to multiblocks around the same time, the lack of compact wiring/piping isn't as big a deal since you have individual blocks handling individual machine inputs and outputs. Also, there are hatches and buses that hook up directly to AE2; no such ender IO option exists.