Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I guess I missed that. :doh: As an apology, allow me to point you to this:

https://github.com/ilrathCXV/9x21-FMJ-HP-Ammo-GAMMA

SP11 (FMJ) and SP12 (HP) ammo for 9x21. The HP isn't quite as good as Hydroshock; 60 DMG, 15 AP vs Hydro's 69 DMG, 10 AP, but it still seems quite nice.

Its funny, my save a few months back I swore by the UMP45, but now I'm trying to use an SMG for anti mutant work and having a tough time tracking close in targets like (psuedo)dogs. I had an embarrassing moment where I emptied pretty much a whole 30 round magazine of 9x21 SP12 at a single dog running around my feet and failed to kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Hydrashock did get more recent nerfs in terms of overall damage and mutant damage multiplier so maybe you're noticing that difference. Even after the nerfs, it's still plenty effective for mutant and unarmored stalkers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

moot the hopple posted:

Hydrashock did get more recent nerfs in terms of overall damage and mutant damage multiplier so maybe you're noticing that difference. Even after the nerfs, it's still plenty effective for mutant and unarmored stalkers.

I was using the SR2M with the modded in HP ammo. :v:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was using the SR2M with the modded in HP ammo. :v:

Right, I'm just explaining that it's not just the HP in SMG that was doing the magic the few months ago when you were using the UMP45. It's the fact that Hydroshock ammo was way more powerful a few months ago AND it had additional flesh damage multiplier so it was particularly effective (both of these factors have been nerfed since then though). So it might be why you're experiencing whiplash now even though you're using a different SMG with HP ammo for mutants.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think early in the year hydroshock was ~95 damage to flesh. It was too good, but it certainly killed mutants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

.357 still does and sounds better doing it :v:

If I could get a LAM on the REX I would never use another gun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sitting in my base, finally decide to fix up that AK5-C I've been sitting on, maybe take it with me to Brain Scorcher. Finish swapping parts and cleaning it all up to 100%, start to walk over to the box I keep my horded magazines for lots of guns in when I see a comm message "I've just seen [player], in Jupter, at Checkpoint. I heard someone put a bounty on their head."

I think "oh cool, am I finally gonna get some hit squa-" and then gunfire errupts outside as Hip, standing guard outside engages with a quartette of Monolith soldiers. I rush out, SR-2M in hand, and help, hosing them down. I find a freaking AK5-C with an upgrade kit on one. If I had waited 5 minutes to fix that vanilla AK5C... :sigh:

I ended up tossing both rifles in a forgotten corner and consoling in a fresh version of the fancier AK5-C. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which game/mod are people mostly talking about?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Gamma mod pack for Anomaly.

Just did brain scorcher. An as unfun slog as I remember. How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just did brain scorcher. An as unfun slog as I remember. How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more.

It shows that you just went through the scorcher, yes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I do kind of wish that you weren’t railroaded into a massive confrontation with the Monolith after shutting the Brain Scorcher off. Like, by all means have a large contingent of troops show up, and have them posted up on the main route(s), but it would be cool to be able to slip through them if you’re sneaky or clever enough.

As it stands I think it’s literally impossible to stealth your way through even ten percent of that section. I suppose that might be because stealth was fundamentally broken in the base games, so why bother setting up an encounter that way. But it’s very linear, and the linear aspects of the STALKER games are probably my least favorite.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

aniviron posted:

It shows that you just went through the scorcher, yes.

I guess my brain is a bit burnt, or maybe phone autocorrect combined with being in the early am. That was supposed to be "However much ammo you think you need" lol.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more

Why yes I drink cases of vodka to cure radiation exposure, how we much am I you think you ask?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
A nice side effect of the added Taskboard is that you can now accept quests from companions directly from the PDA tab without having to like first dismiss them in order to see what missions they might have available and then re-recruiting them. I recruited an ecologist companion and he's periodically had quests for mutant parts I was already carrying around. I just did a rescue mission for him where the target was already in the area so all I had to do was rescue his buddy and then talk to my eco companion to turn it in, no backtracking necessary. It's been a nice and easy sideline of gaining faction rep.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arrath posted:

Why yes I drink cases of vodka to cure radiation exposure, how we much am I you think you ask?

Reminds me of that in game message from someone warning you to never mix Vodka and Psy-block.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I do kind of wish that you weren’t railroaded into a massive confrontation with the Monolith after shutting the Brain Scorcher off. Like, by all means have a large contingent of troops show up, and have them posted up on the main route(s), but it would be cool to be able to slip through them if you’re sneaky or clever enough.

As it stands I think it’s literally impossible to stealth your way through even ten percent of that section. I suppose that might be because stealth was fundamentally broken in the base games, so why bother setting up an encounter that way. But it’s very linear, and the linear aspects of the STALKER games are probably my least favorite.

I just completed the Brain Scorcher and weirdly there were no further Monolith reinforcements after I fought my way out of the facility. Normally in other playthroughs, the base would be repopulated and I'd have to do a running gun fight out of Radar. I did see one squad of like 4 Monolith on the road but that was it. I don't think I was particularly fast when completing the Brain Scorcher section this time, so I dunno if I maybe beat the clock before reinforcements showed up or if they changed things.

I also picked up expert tools in a random white stash in the Radar base so now I have ascended from my advanced tools status. You're all welcome to visit me in rich man's heaven :homebrew:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah, vortex anomaly in the tunnel under Yantar right before the pseudogiant. Cool, cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A couple of notes:

1. I had a trio of NPCs with me (a Freedom hostage that I rescued, and a recruited ecologist who came with a bonus ecologist) when I bumped into a "loner" in Jupiter who wanted to be led to Zaton. Easy money so I said yes, but then found out that the job was to lead five NPCs. I don't think I've ever seen a group that large before, so now I'm rolling eight dudes (or nine if I count myself) deep. It feels like a loving army.

2. I wish that some of the encampment areas had more lights. Lanterns, floodlights hooked up generators, torches, whatever. It's just weird how many settled areas are pitch black at night.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So I finally started playing this properly, and holy hell is the start rough when you set it to Hard/Survivalist. Learning most of the mechanics blind, I'm about 3 hours into the game before I learn that campfires slowly heal you. Finally saved up enough rubles from doing the Cordon's Tourist Safari, Mutant lair, Rescue our guy mission trifecta to buy the historic weapons kit repair the associated gubbins to bring my shiny new Remington 870 to 100%.

Oh my god, going from the sawn off over/under you start with to 6+1 shots at twice the effective range is a game changer. Also, slugs gently caress. I forgot how much damage a meatshot 12ga slug does in this game. I rolled into the Military checkpoint and parked my rear end upstairs after popping the guard on the RPK, and I ended up with so much random loot. Guy enters doorway, first shot staggers him, 2nd and 3rd follow up shots kill him. Even the dude in the Exo was down and out in 3 hits.

Got an SVD, AK 104, and the meme shotgun the Armsel Protecta "Aimpoint". The only shotgun with a reload time similar to most forms of black powder weaponry!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Me blasting off 12 shots in one go with the Armsel Protecta: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me single loading and winding up the drum for each shell afterwards: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

moot the hopple posted:

Me blasting off 12 shots in one go with the Armsel Protecta: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me single loading and winding up the drum for each shell afterwards: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

It really needs a faint 'blyat' about halfway through, to hammer home that your 12 shots just cost you about 45 seconds of your life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like that they accurately modeled the protecta because most of the time I think developers are under the impression that you can detatch the drum, when in actuality the mechanism is basically 1800's vintage.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

I stupidly chose to fix an Armsel Protecta over a Saiga "Nerd" because I thought the high magazine capacity would be more useful. As soon as I hit the R button on my way out the door, I 180'd directly back to my stash to replace it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The 12 rounds is very useful, it's basically just an extreme form of the long tube pump actions. I rarely switch away from an 870 because by the time i find something I want to switch to, I've gotten enough practice that I rarely need more rounds.

In some ways the high initial capacity is even safer than the magazine fed ones because if you have to swap out a magazine that's still bad if something's chasing you down, not having to do that can be preferable under some conditions.

The box magazine shotguns are the middle ground, basically, for a high end shotgun. With, I would argue, the chimera hunter on one side and the striker on the other.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I swore by the 870 in my first run, but after trying it, I really became a convert to the Carabiner MP-153. 6 capacity instead of the 8 of the 870 but semi-automatic fire. Also it sounds really neat with a silencer.

I could even see myself switching back to it from the RAPTR if I ever need to carry more medium sized magazines for my main gun.

[edit] If only I could mount a laser on the MP-153. And upgrade to an 8 round ammo tube.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 10, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This prompted me to hand the RAPTR over to Hip and pull the -153 back out to give it a run again, and I kept wonder why it was performing like poo poo against mutants during a trip through Jupiter+Zaton... then I realized I had been firing off most of my supply of precious AP Slugs against mutants. :cripes:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I swore by the 870 in my first run, but after trying it, I really became a convert to the Carabiner MP-153. 6 capacity instead of the 8 of the 870 but semi-automatic fire. Also it sounds really neat with a silencer.

I could even see myself switching back to it from the RAPTR if I ever need to carry more medium sized magazines for my main gun.

[edit] If only I could mount a laser on the MP-153. And upgrade to an 8 round ammo tube.

The Carabiner MP-153 really is a solid gun, and I appreciate the fact that it exists as an example where something with lower numbers can still be preferable to something with higher numbers.

The Mossberg M590 and Remington 870 are still both excellent bread-and-butter shotguns and (for me at least) have served as one of the earliest milestones in every single one of my playthroughs. There's a palpable shift in the gameplay once you get one of them into working order; a transition in the way fights can be approached with both mutants and other stalkers. For a long time I treated them as virtually indistinguishable from each other, but I suppose the fact that the 870 can accept a handful of holographic sights makes it a skosh preferable over the M590. I don't think there's a pair of guns I've fixed up more frequently than them.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has STALKER 2 mentioned anything about weapon customization? I doubt it will, but I'd love for it to have something similar to Escape from Tarkov where you can find individual components to add/swap on guns.

[edit] Also AP slugs apparently really tear up gun condition now :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 10, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The Carabiner MP-153 really is a solid gun, and I appreciate the fact that it exists as an example where something with lower numbers can still be preferable to something with higher numbers.

The Mossberg M590 and Remington 870 are still both excellent bread-and-butter shotguns and (for me at least) have served as one of the earliest milestones in every single one of my playthroughs. There's a palpable shift in the gameplay once you get one of them into working order; a transition in the way fights can be approached with both mutants and other stalkers. For a long time I treated them as virtually indistinguishable from each other, but I suppose the fact that the 870 can accept a handful of holographic sights makes it a skosh preferable over the M590. I don't think there's a pair of guns I've fixed up more frequently than them.

Oh, absolutely. It really opens up your options when you have more than two barrels worth of shot to fling down range at once.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I really want to like the Bizon in 762x25 except
A.) There's no actual AP ammo for it, just bad steel core
B.) I can't put it in the cool inventory slots
C.) I still haven't found the drat expert tool kit to even convert it

Wasted potential. By the time you are able to use it, it's far beyond its usable life

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It looks like they made the recipe books for the power armor PSU's available to purchase at all traders when you reach max supply level with them, not just ecologists now. All three are offered at once too so you don't have to depend on RNG if the one you want will show up in stock.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm loving the Carabiner too. Some time later I found and fixed up a Saiga which is a classic go-to gun for me in Stalker's various forms but I wound up going back to the 153.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
FYI the PSU that you can craft with the Battery artifact that passively recharges is now really good. I remember the charge rate pre-0.9 patch being really infinitesimal but the rate has now been drastically increased. I started at like 200ish charge and haven't needed to power up my PSU at all, and I sprint all the drat time whenever I'm moving about to put it in perspective. It looks like you can even charge over the listed capacity too since I'm currently sitting at ~360/300 charge. I'm probably going to stop carrying around a spare military battery unit at this rate.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorry for the kind of stupid question, but which of the three 'base' games do I need to have installed in order to go on to run Anomaly and then Gamma?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Sorry for the kind of stupid question, but which of the three 'base' games do I need to have installed in order to go on to run Anomaly and then Gamma?

Zero! It's completely stand-alone and free

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Zero! It's completely stand-alone and free

Huh. I kind of assumed it had to depend on the installed games for textures etc. I guess GSC considers that an active community playing STALKER games is nothing but a good thing for them.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Huh. I kind of assumed it had to depend on the installed games for textures etc. I guess GSC considers that an active community playing STALKER games is nothing but a good thing for them.

I was surprised myself! I downloaded the mod and all the packs from moddb, and fully expected the game to give me some kind of error message related to not actually having the core product after I'd followed all the install steps for anomaly and GAMMA, but nope. My understanding, which could very well be totally wrong, is that the version you're downloading from moddb is basically a remake on a different fork of the original engine

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah I felt the same. Especially after installing Tale of Two Wastelands for Fallout!

But STALKER really doesn't need any installed games to run with Anomaly or any of its sub mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Way back when the sandbox of the maps of all three games was first released, it did require the sandbox version to be installed in the OG Call of Pripyat folder. That was only for a very shallow "legal" requirement, is I recall correctly.