Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That sucks I think I got the bird week 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah there's several dungeon drop minions I'm missing but every time I contemplate farming them I just run off the game

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Re: difficulty they should at the very least make tankbusters in EX require cooldowns, the one in the newest EX is pathetic and i don’t think could even kill a healer

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firebert posted:

Re: difficulty they should at the very least make tankbusters in EX require cooldowns, the one in the newest EX is pathetic and i don’t think could even kill a healer

Confirmed. I lived the big fuckoff cleave TB as a sage. Had a crit shield but still handily took it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

the only dungeon i've done since the last MSQ patch is Dead Ends and i've got my trust runs at a pretty consistent 22 minutes as Reaper and i will get that loving bird one day

One day right? :smith:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'd argue that the tail end of Shadowbringers and onto Endwalker in general is already doing "make dungeon boss mechanics more engaging." Also remember than in addition to being for less sweaty players, dungeons have to reintroduce old mechanics that newer players have not actually seen due to bosses dying faster or being in old optional content. Those bored of savage raiding and eyeing ultimates are likely not able to tell from their lofty heights.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

One day right? :smith:

i can't give up hope... i must keep forging ahead...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

S.J. posted:

That sucks I think I got the bird week 1

I got it from my first run for the MSQ. Never realized how lucky I was until I saw people post about never getting it after dozens of runs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got it from my first run for the MSQ. Never realized how lucky I was until I saw people post about never getting it after dozens of runs.

Oh that hurts my soul

It just.wont.drop

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's weird that the latter couple minions are locked out of the marketboard. I don't think any other dungeon minion drops ever were.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

That one is kind of special so I get it. Also it's making skilled healers grit their teeth and queue for it which is a blessing to everyone else in there. At least when I'm in the healer seat I can unfuck things rather than watch helplessly as a dps while it all falls apart.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I'd argue that the tail end of Shadowbringers and onto Endwalker in general is already doing "make dungeon boss mechanics more engaging." Also remember than in addition to being for less sweaty players, dungeons have to reintroduce old mechanics that newer players have not actually seen due to bosses dying faster or being in old optional content. Those bored of savage raiding and eyeing ultimates are likely not able to tell from their lofty heights.

they've definitely put out some banger dungeon bosses more recently and i do appreciate it. i can tell because of how often i get dropped into forty minute in-progress runs :v:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Weirdly I feel like the later content is much easier than earlier stuff, I suppose depending on the jobs. Most classes don't really come online until level 70, and once they do have their toolkit everything is much more manageable from there.

There's a range from like the upper 50's to 70 where things can be a bit dicey just because the classes haven't unlocked all their skills. Leveling Astrologian right now, which I dislike, and part of it is that at level 50 I have exactly one oGCD heal.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like dungeon mechanics are more engaging and fun, but also easier because the game is better at making mechanics clear than it used to be. I still don't know what most of the bespoke floor symbols and icons mean in older content.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

Weirdly I feel like the later content is much easier than earlier stuff, I suppose depending on the jobs. Most classes don't really come online until level 70, and once they do have their toolkit everything is much more manageable from there.

There's a range from like the upper 50's to 70 where things can be a bit dicey just because the classes haven't unlocked all their skills. Leveling Astrologian right now, which I dislike, and part of it is that at level 50 I have exactly one oGCD heal.

yeah, the increase in mechanical difficulty (for some bosses, at least) is offset by the fact that healers and tanks are bursting at the seams with instant heals and mits now and it's complete overkill for any normal content

unavoidable damage is still used very sparingly so mostly you're just slamming all your resources into that one dps who makes it their mission to stand in every aoe they can reach

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 9, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While we're wish listing, I wish they'd pull some walls out and allow for mega pulls now and then. Pulling the entire set up until the first boss of Mt. Gulg, and then the big pull between 2nd and big chungus before the last boss. Most groups don't go for them, and I've never seen any pressure to go for them, but when they do and they work out it's art.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Actually scratch that. My wish is for dungeons to never have bosses that are just waves of weak trash ever again.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Actually scratch that. My wish is for dungeons to never have bosses that are just waves of weak trash ever again.

It's very annoying! We already have trash! We don't need extra-boring trash replacing a boss!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Amusingly, those seem like they're intended to encourage proper use of aoe in dungeons.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The next tier of Pandaemonium will only be endless waves of trash mobs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

Amusingly, those seem like they're intended to encourage proper use of aoe in dungeons.

Troia is definitely an aoe dungeon. I never get off so many lightnings anywhere else as I do in there, it feels great

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Sound like what you guys want is a survival mode type deep dungeon where instead of going down a bunch of levels you stay in place and fight increasingly large and varied numbers of mobs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's weird that the latter couple minions are locked out of the marketboard. I don't think any other dungeon minion drops ever were.

The Shoebill also requires suffering. Or rather it did- now it's in sacks from EO but you used to have to get it from Amaurot

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mikemil828 posted:

Sound like what you guys want is a survival mode type deep dungeon where instead of going down a bunch of levels you stay in place and fight increasingly large and varied numbers of mobs.

Honestly something like a time trial challenge mode would be cool. Just sending stronger and stronger stuff with the understanding that you'll eventually die, but with increasing rewards the longer you stay alive, maybe with a boss type fight every 10 or 15 minutes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

While we're wish listing, I wish they'd pull some walls out and allow for mega pulls now and then. Pulling the entire set up until the first boss of Mt. Gulg, and then the big pull between 2nd and big chungus before the last boss. Most groups don't go for them, and I've never seen any pressure to go for them, but when they do and they work out it's art.

I liked the Paglth'an (I think?) section where the wall between pack 1+2 and pack 3+4 has HP and you can opt to kill it quickly to do a 4-pack megapull.

It's also the section where I've gotten yelled at the most by tanks for rescuing them next to said wall if they decide to park themselves and their mobs far away from it for some reason.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
There's a few dungeons like that with destructible walls between pulls. It's neat, although I'm 100% fine with the current pacing myself.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

I liked the Paglth'an (I think?) section where the wall between pack 1+2 and pack 3+4 has HP and you can opt to kill it quickly to do a 4-pack megapull.

It's also the section where I've gotten yelled at the most by tanks for rescuing them next to said wall if they decide to park themselves and their mobs far away from it for some reason.

There are also two defenseless Amal'jaa on the other side of that wall who die if you don't break through it quickly, but you can save them :3:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Going forward, ALL new dungeons will have an Enrage mechanic on EVERY boss. If you don't kill the boss in time, the enrage explodes your computer.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

FuturePastNow posted:

healer LB3 is required on day one of every new alliance raid

Not always successful mind you. Wait I am thinking of a normal raid where it all went wrong.
p4 all but the healer were knocked into the death wall, Healer LB3 raised... at the deathwall so we died instantly again. It was hilarious

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Twibbit posted:

Not always successful mind you. Wait I am thinking of a normal raid where it all went wrong.
p4 all but the healer were knocked into the death wall, Healer LB3 raised... at the deathwall so we died instantly again. It was hilarious

Yeah, IIRC healer LB3 doesn't do the "bring the rezzed person to where the healer is" thing that regular rezzes do, so rez targets in the deathwall will just immediately die again

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Going forward, ALL new dungeons will have an Enrage mechanic on EVERY boss. If you don't kill the boss in time, the enrage explodes your computer.

replace every boss with deathgaze hollow

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Deathgaze Hollow but in walled arenas, so no ringouts, just really annoyed melee

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

IIRC Brina from the Antitower is now the only minion that isn't marketable and only drops from a pre-EW dungeon.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

was thinkin' 'bout this thread as i just ran the back half of the last dungeon without a tank at all, mob pulls and bosses both. the busters couldn't even kill a machinist, lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oneiros posted:

was thinkin' 'bout this thread as i just ran the back half of the last dungeon without a tank at all, mob pulls and bosses both. the busters couldn't even kill a machinist, lmao

Sounds like we need to nerf healers and DPS so tanks don't feel useless.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TBF MCH has a decent amount of mitigation for a DPS. As BLM, whenever I get tankbuster’d I go splat, Manaward or no Manaward. There’s just not any physical defense on caster gear.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

thankfully i'm dogshit at blm so the mch was taking most of the heat. i make enough of a mess of my rotation without autos interrupting my casts constantly :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

another 4 runs of dead ends and no bird

to live is to suffer

and to suffer is to grow stronger at doing my reaper rotation i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DPS mechanics are the general fight mechanics.
Tank mechanics are those plus tankbusters.
Healer mechanics are those plus other players.