Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FishMcCool posted:

Sinh is my favourite dragon in the series. It's just a cool fight with a good balance of air vs ground making it feel like you're actually fighting a dragon and not a giant lizard, the arena is super scenic, and Sinh itself looks awesome with that spear still in. The giant drake in the sanctum is just a bad fight though.

Regarding wedges, can't remember if there's one missing or if the last one is behind Fume Knight, but it shouldn't be a big deal at any rate unless you've already been overzealous. There are plenty of statues that are just a minor inconvenience and that you can just ignore, such as the one at the top of the tower for example.

What giant drake in the sanctum are you talking about? Do you mean the ancient dragon in the dragon shrine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rode this lift in Hamburg and i was too traumatized by dark souls to dare riding it around the top or bottom, was convinced I'd get squashed or something
https://youtu.be/EXFMQ5sRgo0

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

What giant drake in the sanctum are you talking about? Do you mean the ancient dragon in the dragon shrine?

Yeah, sorry, the giant fake dragon above the eyrie, its shrine indeed, not sanctum.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just got wrecked by an invader in the narrow passage before the ruin sentinels. They were wearing the butterfly set and used corrosive urns and now all my poo poo is broken. Lol good one.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I completely forgot how hosed up the DLC is in this game. I've finished the game twice before but the second time I skipped the DLC entirely, and now just going through the first section of Sunken King I remember why I did that. Definitely doesn't help that I played a sorcerer this time but now I recall that even as a heavily armored mace wielder it was a slog my first time through.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

I completely forgot how hosed up the DLC is in this game. I've finished the game twice before but the second time I skipped the DLC entirely, and now just going through the first section of Sunken King I remember why I did that. Definitely doesn't help that I played a sorcerer this time but now I recall that even as a heavily armored mace wielder it was a slog my first time through.

The DLC are incredibly good I love them.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I love the DLC level design and some of the bosses are great but the massive jump in difficulty compared to the final parts of the base game is pretty nuts, especially with how the regular mobs scale so abruptly. I guess the DLC in other From games are similar, although I recall Artorias of the Abyss being pretty fairly balanced for a character at the end of DS1.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Adam Bowen posted:

I love the DLC level design and some of the bosses are great but the massive jump in difficulty compared to the final parts of the base game is pretty nuts, especially with how the regular mobs scale so abruptly. I guess the DLC in other From games are similar, although I recall Artorias of the Abyss being pretty fairly balanced for a character at the end of DS1.

Kind of depends on the character. The DS1 DLC is full of bosses with high defenses who will poo poo all over you if you rely on split damage, which was otherwise the best in base DS1, like it had been the power option in DeS. The bosses and enemies also skew faster than a lot of the base game so mid-blocking and mid-rolling characters were disadvantaged as well, whereas naked guys ninja flipping around with +15 great scythe, or greatshield tanks or wizards or whatever did comparatively well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The regular dudes in all three DLCs are incredibly weak to backstabs. You can beat most of the traversal parts (outside of the Iron King big boys) with an unupgraded dagger.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Running past enemies like a madman is a viable strategy too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in ds2 just make sure you have enough space between you and the enemies chasing you before committing to the fog wall. you do NOT get a quick exit in this one

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
One of my all time favorite souls memories will be kicking some dude in the back as he tried to escape to fight the blue smelter demon

The poor sap right around 2:40 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tG_lZr7bk&t=160s

Invading the dlc co-op areas was delightfully sadistic

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 8, 2023

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I never got the previous thread title but im very happy with this one. god bless

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

I never got the previous thread title but im very happy with this one. god bless

It was a reference to Nashandra, Elana, Nadalia, and Alsanna, the fragments of Manus and wives of the old kings.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I see, ty

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
(at the drangleic ha-ha hut) You're just sitting there ruling a kingdom, minding your own business, and bam! Some broad from Albuquerque's got your knights, your kingdom, and your pride!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

(at the drangleic ha-ha hut) You're just sitting there ruling a kingdom, minding your own business, and bam! Some broad from Albuquerque's got your knights, your kingdom, and your pride!

Wives, amirite?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Ok so that's done (took 3 free hits with the MLGS at the start and 29 Dark Orbs), feels like a skipped a huge part of Brume Tower though, I never found more than the six wedges you get at the start. Thankfully I had four left when I got to Fume Knight. The fight itself wasn't as bad, just a lot of patience and single attacks followed by backwards-left strafing to bait out an attack.
The NPC summons were a mean joke, papier-mâché wizzard died in only a handful of hits, and caestus lady did single digit damage per hit, just cruel.

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vendrick: Take my wife.... please...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

christmas boots posted:

Vendrick: Take my wife.... please...

Vendrick:I get no respect, no respect at all. Last week my robe caught fire and a curse bearer tried to put it out with an axe!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Drangleic is boomer purgatory apparently

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Orv posted:

Drangleic is boomer purgatory apparently

The final boss of Dark Souls 2

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Smelter demon?? I ‘ardly know ‘er demon!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

heard u like girls posted:

is this a Lucatille joke?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

is this a Lucatille joke?

Who?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpSoGZa3Hrw

Majula is the best hub imo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I prefer the overall concept of Firelink Shrine in DS1, with its "wayward travelers meeting at a shared refuge" and "secretly connected to your ultimate goal all along" aspects. (Which now that I think about it are both directly coped from DeS.) But the actual execution is so-so for various reasons.

In that sense, I wish Majula could be a bit cozier and more communal than it is, but its sights and sounds are otherwise unmatched.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

The NPC summons were a mean joke, papier-mâché wizzard died in only a handful of hits, and caestus lady did single digit damage per hit, just cruel.

Fume Knight is a boss where imho, even if you're struggling, you're better off solo. The NPCs are really so-so and not worth the massive increase in HP the boss gets due to their mere presence.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Fume Knight is a boss where imho, even if you're struggling, you're better off solo. The NPCs are really so-so and not worth the massive increase in HP the boss gets due to their mere presence.
Usually I summon any NPC that has a sign up for bosses because why not, but for Fume it was indeed easier without them. Seeing those 7-9 damage rolls from caestus lady was infuriating.

Hot take: DS2 has the best jumping out of all the Soulsbornes. It's an actual jump, you can get some sick air in Majula.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Another reason why Elden ring is dark souls ii 2

Grats on beating fume knight btw!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

giZm posted:

Hot take: DS2 has the best jumping out of all the Soulsbornes.

It really does

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite part about the jumping is it makes the approach to the colosseum a breeze, you can just sprint past all the enemies, across the bridge, then jump to the ledge on the right at the end of the bridge and wait for everyone to walk away and or die. Optionally you can snipe the invader npc from there too

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Grats on beating fume knight btw!
There was no achievement though, this victory feels incomplete.

My favorite part about the jumping is it makes the approach to the colosseum a breeze, you can just sprint past all the enemies, across the bridge, then jump to the ledge on the right at the end of the bridge and wait for everyone to walk away and or die. Optionally you can snipe the invader npc from there too
100% works every time pro strat right here.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

giZm posted:

Hot take: DS2 has the best jumping out of all the Soulsbornes. It's an actual jump, you can get some sick air in Majula.
I would agree, but it's inconsistent and sometimes DS2 decides no actually you just get a tiny hop instead. And I prefer a lovely but consistent jump to a good jump that decides to throw you in a pit once in a while.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Can’t go back to the Souls sprint-only jump now. Sekiro and Elden Ring have completely ruined it for me

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What Sekiro ruined for me was the dodge button. In Sekiro you dodge into sprint so it becomes a really effective zoning tool.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Grabbed the Eye of the Priestess, so of course the first thing I did was go back to Shaded Woods for some good old fashioned ghost geno cleansi peace keeping mission. After enough peace was kept it was back to Frozen Eleum Loyce to put down an illegally imported exotic pet, which was a full success and I didn't even die once nope there were no cheap deaths due to impressively weird hit boxes and untelegraphed leaping attacks across the whole screen, none at all.

Wasn't the ice wind supposed to stop after Aava was killed? What am I missing?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

giZm posted:

Go past Aava and into the cathedral and you'll be able to progress after that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

giZm posted:

Grabbed the Eye of the Priestess, so of course the first thing I did was go back to Shaded Woods for some good old fashioned ghost geno cleansi peace keeping mission. After enough peace was kept it was back to Frozen Eleum Loyce to put down an illegally imported exotic pet, which was a full success and I didn't even die once nope there were no cheap deaths due to impressively weird hit boxes and untelegraphed leaping attacks across the whole screen, none at all.

Go upstairs from the arena to the cathedral and talk to the NPC inside, she’ll turn it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Got it, thanks. The area really opened up now, lots of new stuff to find, I'm enjoying this DLC so far.

But what's with the fake white phantom with the greatlance? Troll character?