Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I didn't follow the case super closely, but pretty much everything that was shown from Trump's deposition was just about the worst possible thing you could say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It helps when one side refuses to put up a defense.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He's 100% not going to give a gently caress and do whatever he wants irt evidence and social media and I doubt he will suffer any consequences for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cr0y posted:

He's 100% not going to give a gently caress and do whatever he wants irt evidence and social media and I doubt he will suffer any consequences for it.

His takeaway will be "I was acquitted of rape. She was lying about the rape. They want me to be a rapist but I'm not folks I'm not they're all liars."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It helps when one side refuses to put up a defense.

And be completely unlikeable, and refuse to even show up at the same time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Also, someone needs to create an image of Biden holding a newspaper with the headline stating TRUMP GUILTY!, just like the photo of Truman holding the paper stating DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

His takeaway will be "I was acquitted of rape. She was lying about the rape. They want me to be a rapist but I'm not folks I'm not they're all liars."

100% this. I'm already hearing his stupid voice in my head saying it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This smells like a juror trade off. A compromise if you will. We know these things happen.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mdemone posted:

This smells like a juror trade off. A compromise if you will. We know these things happen.

Does it? If the jury was unanimous on agreeing allegations A, B, and C were true, but split on allegation D, wouldn't that look exactly like this? Assuming they spent hours arguing with the (one?) holdout about the last allegation and eventually decided they'd never change their mind?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Edit: whoops wrong thread

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 9, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1656050429644673026

Charges have been fired under seal so we don't know what they are yet.

His campaign finances seem like the kind of thing you give to an intern they’re so full of fraud.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This is bullshit!

The Deep State is just mad that Santos won 3 Nobel Prizes, 14 Olympic gold medals, and was the first man on the moon.

Since Santos was apparently trying to out-crime the Trump family, I'm baffled why he ran for office, since the only reason I can come up with is that he assumed because no one looked into his background during the campaign, no one would ever look into it if he actually won.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 9, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fuschia tude posted:

Does it? If the jury was unanimous on agreeing allegations A, B, and C were true, but split on allegation D, wouldn't that look exactly like this? Assuming they spent hours arguing with the (one?) holdout about the last allegation and eventually decided they'd never change their mind?

The compromise I (with no evidence) was thinking of was "well, I don't want to call that rape, but I'm willing to call it sexual abuse".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I didn't follow the case super closely, but pretty much everything that was shown from Trump's deposition was just about the worst possible thing you could say.

Right. Like "I would never rape her because she's not my type"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Trump will never pay a dime of that and somehow that's going to be just fine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Bible posted:

Trump will never pay a dime of that and somehow that's going to be just fine.

:rolleyes:

Can we stop this poo poo now?

"Trump will never face charges."
Trump gets charged.

"Trump will never be convicted."
Trump gets convicted.

Trump has been fined numerous times and has paid up. There is absolutely no basis to think this court judgment will be ignored by everyone involved, least of all Jean Carroll.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Can we stop this poo poo now?

"Trump will never face charges."
Trump gets charged.

Trump gets convicted.

Trump has been fined numerous times and has paid up. There is absolutely no basis to think this court judgment will be ignored by everyone involved, least of all Jean Carroll.

I'll be happy to be wrong.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bible posted:

I'll be happy to be wrong.

Post user combo BREAKER

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heh, I mean, 5 million is not even a slap on the wrist. More like a winking nudge in the ribs, but 2 different justice systems, what else is new.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The compromise I (with no evidence) was thinking of was "well, I don't want to call that rape, but I'm willing to call it sexual abuse".

There is a legal definition of rape in the jurisdiction that the jurors should have been informed of. It's a question of "was there vaginal penetration?" or whatever, not "what am I willing to call rape?" In theory, at least.

Edit: In a more general sense, the definition of rape is a legal question decided by the judge. The jury only decides factual questions, ie: did X happen or did Y happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

C.

Trump gets convicted.

This is not a criminal conviction. It is a civil judgment. There's a very big difference between the two. He has not been convicted at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I believe he cannot be criminally convicted for this because of the statute of limitations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Say what you want about Trump but he certainly has conviction

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This is not a criminal conviction. It is a civil judgment. There's a very big difference between the two. He has not been convicted at all.

What happens in a civil case when you just don't pay the judgement? I'm not being snarky, I just remember awhile back, when I was a kid, my deadbeat dad never paid child support as ordered, and even when he was ordered to in court, he just didn't, and nothing ever happened to him. No garnishments, no asset seizures, absolutely nothing, he was just allowed to decide to not pay. My mother complained to the courts several times and they were just like :shrug:.

This was in Texas, which is kind of infamous for this sort of thing, so maybe my case is exceptional.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It varies, but generally speaking, the winning party can go to court and get a lien against property the lower owns, plus collection costs.

If you have no property to force the sale of via lien, then *shrug* no blood from a stone.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It varies, but generally speaking, the winning party can go to court and get a lien against property the lower owns, plus collection costs.

If you have no property to force the sale of via lien, then *shrug* no blood from a stone.

That's probably it, then. He didn't own poo poo.

He had a job and a paycheck, but maybe they won't garnish for child support, I have no clue.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

The Bible posted:

What happens in a civil case when you just don't pay the judgement? I'm not being snarky, I just remember awhile back, when I was a kid, my deadbeat dad never paid child support as ordered, and even when he was ordered to in court, he just didn't, and nothing ever happened to him. No garnishments, no asset seizures, absolutely nothing, he was just allowed to decide to not pay. My mother complained to the courts several times and they were just like :shrug:.

This was in Texas, which is kind of infamous for this sort of thing, so maybe my case is exceptional.

Collecting child support is hit-or-miss anywhere you go.

In a normal civil case you could get any of a few different types of writ to go after wages or to seize and sell property. You could also go for contempt sanctions.

Edit: beaten, sorta.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Maybe they didn't think that he was endowed enough to penetrate her while they were standing up given the whole toad thing. So sexual assault but not rape*.

*as defined by whatever statute that was used.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Skex posted:

Maybe they didn't think that he was endowed enough to penetrate her while they were standing up given the whole toad thing. So sexual assault but not rape*.

*as defined by whatever statute that was used.

She reportedly testified that she couldn't tell whether it was his dick or a finger penetrating her, and so that could be it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JohnCompany posted:

She reportedly testified that she couldn't tell whether it was his dick or a finger penetrating her, and so that could be it.

Lmao

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't fully think through the context of what you were lmao'ing, but let's all be a bit careful here.

But, yes, we have been told explicitly that Trump has a small dick and it looks like Toad from Mario Kart. lmao

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

JohnCompany posted:

Sad to say, this is probably the only way this trial could actually hurt trump’s election chances.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Adhemar posted:

Sad to say, this is probably the only way this trial could actually hurt trump’s election chances.

Doubt it. A big gun is a lot like a big truck, compensation-wise. He's going to have a lot of mockers who secretly sympathize with him.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The CNN Trump Town Hall went as well as could be expected.
Spouts racist poo poo like people in Chinatown dont speak English and calls Kaitlan Collins a nasty person.
Rupars feed has clips of other parts of it.
Its a lot of speaking without actually saying anything.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656465794526584833

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OgNar posted:

The CNN Trump Town Hall went as well as could be expected.
Spouts racist poo poo like people in Chinatown dont speak English and calls Kaitlan Collins a nasty person.
Rupars feed has clips of other parts of it.
Its a lot of speaking without actually saying anything.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656465794526584833

Isn't one of the main things that Trump is repeating the remarks that were found to be liable on Tuesday.
Like regardless of his intention to appeal, by repeating those remarks it's essentially another case of Defamation and should in theory result in another hefty fine. With the proviso that CNN could be liable for broadcasting this, knowing that he was likely to say it on air.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

OgNar posted:

Spouts racist poo poo like people in Chinatown dont speak English

These enclaves do exist, although Trump assuredly meant this in the most racist way possible. I don't know about elsewhere, but the Bay Area has a sizable population of Chinese immigrants and even Chinese-Americans who speak little or no English. I've done business with them through interpreters and intermediaries, and a friend made his entire (quite lucrative) livelihood out of tutoring their kids - but only because he'd lived in China for several years and was fluent in the language, married a Chinese national, and had other folks in that community who would vouch for him.

Insular immigrant communities that actively resist being assimilated into the wider culture have been a thing pretty much forever, and America has a long history of them. This spooks the hell out of some people, and those people tend to vote Republican.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kestral posted:

Insular immigrant communities that actively resist being assimilated into the wider culture have been a thing pretty much forever, and America has a long history of them.

Starting from the Europeans!

*that meme of muscular hands grasping eachother with European immigrants to United States and smallpox*

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Question IRL posted:

Isn't one of the main things that Trump is repeating the remarks that were found to be liable on Tuesday.
Like regardless of his intention to appeal, by repeating those remarks it's essentially another case of Defamation and should in theory result in another hefty fine. With the proviso that CNN could be liable for broadcasting this, knowing that he was likely to say it on air.

It's an interesting problem. Because on the one hand, yeah, this is exactly what Fox did that led to Dominion's suit: invite guests on who would predictably make defamatory statements and then ask them questions to elicit those statements. On the other hand, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with a liability regime that didn't allow direct broadcasting of the words of a leading presidential candidate.

Would need to think long and hard about the lines to draw, because it can't just be "anyone running for President" given all the crazies, but it's not not a problem.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

It's an interesting problem. Because on the one hand, yeah, this is exactly what Fox did that led to Dominion's suit: invite guests on who would predictably make defamatory statements and then ask them questions to elicit those statements. On the other hand, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with a liability regime that didn't allow direct broadcasting of the words of a leading presidential candidate.

Would need to think long and hard about the lines to draw, because it can't just be "anyone running for President" given all the crazies, but it's not not a problem.

How about we just let the crimes matter and not care if it's a presidential candidate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Yeah we should just hold everyone to the same standards, regardless of how much Republicans worship them