Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Unless I'm missing something the holding of the bag is just the charities getting a donation that is worth a lot less than what the person donating gets to write off not them actually being bagholders so this sounds more like bog standard legal tax fraud via charitable donations vs anything particularly insidious.

How is donating it to charity any different than selling for a loss and writing off that loss? Other than selling it makes a couple of pennies a share.

Or is this some case where the shares are not publicly traded, so you need some way to offload the shares? And no one else is going to take essentially valueless shares off your hands for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/nikkibarnesfl/status/1655934756700430336?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eClA

Don’t know if it’s legit or just videos recorded during the weekend but if it’s real… oooo boy

They'll try to use prison labor before they budge

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Orvin posted:

How is donating it to charity any different than selling for a loss and writing off that loss? Other than selling it makes a couple of pennies a share.

Or is this some case where the shares are not publicly traded, so you need some way to offload the shares? And no one else is going to take essentially valueless shares off your hands for free.

I dunno I'm not wealthy enough to do anything other than the standard deduction. Your idea makes sense though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nothus posted:

it's fun to see how many state prisons in florida are surrounded by farms

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

“Try?” They already do lol.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Paradoxish posted:

A family friend's son works construction in Florida and based on what he was saying yesterday I'm thinking these videos are mostly or all legitimate. His boss already told him to expect layoffs because, uh, I guess when faced with a sudden massive labor shortage the right thing to do is fire more people?

edit- admittedly, white people losing their jobs because you did a racism too hard is very, very funny

So "A Day without a Mexican" finally happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJcfhxMkrQ

Just watching the trailer reminds me it's due a rewatch. LOL at "Jose... Mothership!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nothus posted:

Lol they already do and if it could meet demand they'd have done this years ago.

Real talk, doomers: do I need to go pull out cash and stock up on canned goods? I'm obviously already good on beans.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

Writing off losses has a limit which is probably going to be very small compared to anyone "investing in startups." $50,000+ for a fart tracking app that is going bankrupt next month

Charitable donations are a different write off with a much higher limit and apparently if you can just make up an imaginary value for your startup investments then it would be stupid to not do that. Instead of losing $50,000 on the fart app and being able to get $3,000 back you'd get $25,000+

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Lol they already do and if it could meet demand they'd have done this years ago.

Real talk, doomers: do I need to go pull out cash and stock up on canned goods? I'm obviously already good on beans.

yes l, but in like, 5 years when the climate starts to collapse past the point that any government can do anything about it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

nothing the same thing their doing now climate will have its way in florida

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

inshallah

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mycomancy posted:

once again: if you are relying on cash and beans to survive, youll get another month after the rest of society collapses tops.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

anime was right posted:

once again: if you are relying on cash and beans to survive, youll get another month after the rest of society collapses tops.

I'll take it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

In the event of a total meltdown the thing you want to stock up on is friends and social networks which is a problem for most goons

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

In the event of a total meltdown the thing you want to stock up on is friends and social networks which is a problem for most goons

I know like four people and they are all online

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

or useful, basic non-computer skills, which again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Get sailing and fishing lessons. During a collapse get to a marina and steal a boat. Not joking.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the finanseer

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
based ron stopping the exploitation of undocumented unprotected laborers, ron desantis, thank you 🙏

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

sadly its the one good part, Miami, that’ll go first

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Writing off losses has a limit which is probably going to be very small compared to anyone "investing in startups." $50,000+ for a fart tracking app that is going bankrupt next month

Charitable donations are a different write off with a much higher limit and apparently if you can just make up an imaginary value for your startup investments then it would be stupid to not do that. Instead of losing $50,000 on the fart app and being able to get $3,000 back you'd get $25,000+

the tweet claims you can get back more than your initial investment which to me implies it’s either you bought shares at a discount to the last funding round but your writeoff is based on the funding round,

OR some kind of leveraged buyout type situation where the company itself holds a lot of debt that paid for half the value of the shares during the funding and investors pocket the difference and then leave the charity with the debt laden startup

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Maed posted:

sadly its the one good part, Miami, that’ll go first

that honor goes to the keys not that i consider the keys any good prob then miami yeah

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Good point, I'm glad there's a surplus of friends and social networks out there.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

mint that fuckin coin

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

FOIA the treasury for the platinum coin designs and let's see those glomar responses (assuming they respond before june, lol)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

white people losing their jobs because you did a racism too hard is very, very funny

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FYI, this is blatantly wrong advice - (i) you'd need to get a Fair Market Value of the shares when donated not weeks/months ago when it was higher and (ii) you'd need to get a qualified appraisal of the shares (which would cost money) to get the Fair Market Value from (i) or else the IRS can automatically disallow the entire deduction. In fact, the IRS has started a campaign to audit noncash charitable contributions of non-cash assets given the stringent rules since it's free money for them if you don't follow the requirements.

In other words: yes, Angel Investor goobers, please do what the Twitter moron says to do! :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There was some occasional talk in this thread about how businesses are now largely trying to abandon poor people and target the top 10% income bracket because that's where the money it. I was telling my mother about this earlier today, does anyone have articles on this topic handy that I can forward to her? Google is even more useless than usual on this subject.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Before the like 6% year over year inflation we had the items, aside from healthcare and housing, that had highest inflation were luxury items. Good place to start.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was some occasional talk in this thread about how businesses are now largely trying to abandon poor people and target the top 10% income bracket because that's where the money it. I was telling my mother about this earlier today, does anyone have articles on this topic handy that I can forward to her? Google is even more useless than usual on this subject.

The word that you're looking for might be "premiumization".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/04/business/economy/premium-prices-inflation.html

https://www.theiwsr.com/premiumisation-surged-during-covid-will-it-continue/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was a Washington post article from 2020 or 2021 that talked about how economists believe the economy will be fine if the bottom 40% is abandoned. I can't find it at the moment. I remember Heather Long tweeting it out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/nikkibarnesfl/status/1655934756700430336?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eClA

Don’t know if it’s legit or just videos recorded during the weekend but if it’s real… oooo boy

pretty amazing footage

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Visit your local car dealership. Ford doesn't even make sedans anymore for the most part.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sanlav posted:

There's no victim when you evade taxes. None at all I say as our underfunded government cannibalizes itself rather than enforce tax law.

Lol the Federal government isn't underfunded, it makes its own money. Federal taxes are just a way to control inflation.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lol the Federal government isn't underfunded, it makes its own money. Federal taxes are just a way to control inflation.

and the rich don't pay it 🌝

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How new emote just dropped: :twitter:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Mr Hootington posted:

There was a Washington post article from 2020 or 2021 that talked about how economists believe the economy will be fine if the bottom 40% is abandoned. I can't find it at the moment. I remember Heather Long tweeting it out.

thread titty

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

owns