Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Must there be a Zelda?

There is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FooF posted:

Must there be a Zelda?

There is.

mods?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey uhh

Having hardly engaged with any Zelda in the 90’s, how did we go from Ganon the pig villain to Ganondorf this redhead guy

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ganondorf was the doctor

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Hey uhh

Having hardly engaged with any Zelda in the 90’s, how did we go from Ganon the pig villain to Ganondorf this redhead guy

It happened in two Zelda games released in the 90s. A Link to the Past's backstory mentions a guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain, then Ocarina of Time was about that guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Hey uhh

iirc Ganon having a human form before he turned into a pig man was mentioned in ALttP. Ocarina of Time was the first game where they actually showed him as Ganondorf and he only turned into the giant pig in the final battle

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ganondorf is the scientist and the pig is technically Ganondorf’s Monster. “Ganon” is a nickname like Nessie or Satchmo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MokBa posted:

Ganondorf is the scientist and the pig is technically Ganondorf’s Monster. “Ganon” is a nickname like Nessie or Satchmo.

Why is it always "Frankenstein's monster", but never "Bram Stoker's Dracula"?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

I AM READY :goatsecx:

Anybody know about the pro hud (if it has one)

I hope so. It's so weird seeing BotW being played with the normal HUD. I know Link essentially has a smart phone, but with the full HUD it's like he's staring at the screen the entire time. No good!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

MokBa posted:

I also got my shipping notification today and it’s wild that my physical copy is just out there, in the world, existing, but not in my home.

Same, got mine off Amazon and my wife also ordered a bunch of stuff for our 4-month-old. So now every time I get an Amazon delivery email my heart skips a beat that maybe they accidentally delivered the game early just to find out it’s another baby nose sucker device or something.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I really wish the BotW HUD had options. I wouldn’t mind the mini-map being on now and then but the rest of it is way too much. Thankfully I have the whole map so memorized that I don’t really need any of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Anybody know about the pro hud (if it has one) and/or if there's a master mode? Gotta have my Zeldin Ring experience.

yes to pro hud, no to master mode

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

learned how to do a really easy duplication glitch today in BotW and im wondering if the main reason elemental arrows have been replaced with "Staple chu-jelly to an arrow" is because that was the only way they could fix the menu overload glitch

(i can't wait to see what kind of bullshit glitches we DO find in this game tho, lmao)

I am SO looking forward to Peco and Zelda Neko doing loving outrageous poo poo and posting it on Youtube

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

iirc Ganon having a human form before he turned into a pig man was mentioned in ALttP. Ocarina of Time was the first game where they actually showed him as Ganondorf and he only turned into the giant pig in the final battle
Ocarina of Time's story was meant to be the backstory elements mentioned in the manual of LTTP before they got all cute with the timeline and hosed it all up.

It was the events of the Imprisoning War.

Now everything's all weird and nothing matters anymore because they just randomly stuck most games in one of three separate timelines basically randomly and in ways that don't make any sense when you think about them for more than a few seconds.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
living in the timeline where link was stuck behind a door and had to peace out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my loving god hahaha

:eyepop:

Only two more nights to go, come on Zelda!!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Meanwhile, in Hyrule…

https://twitter.com/tsuyokichi7/status/1655954422198042625?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

and

https://twitter.com/simaubaka/status/1655917357494341633?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Ocarina of Time's story was meant to be the backstory elements mentioned in the manual of LTTP before they got all cute with the timeline and hosed it all up.

It was the events of the Imprisoning War.

Now everything's all weird and nothing matters anymore because they just randomly stuck most games in one of three separate timelines basically randomly and in ways that don't make any sense when you think about them for more than a few seconds.

Do you mean nothing matters as in "you don't like it and don't care about it and won't entertain it" or did the change invalidate something that mattered to you before?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gonna rescue the poo poo outta the zildo come friday

Absolutely!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
It's all sold out online here in Germany, going to have to try my luck in store on Friday. Thanks, last minute decisions!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Do you mean nothing matters as in "you don't like it and don't care about it and won't entertain it" or did the change invalidate something that mattered to you before?
I mean it kinda' two ways: it was more fun to me when the timeline mattered, but now that it doesn't, that also pretty much doesn't matter and we can just play the games and take them as they are.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:pray:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Wait...poo poo....forgot the bomb shop lady

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
my copy is in the mail :dance:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Even better

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah what the gently caress, why does west coast USA get it a full minute earlier than everyone else

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I knew he was a trained musician, but I never knew he was a conductor!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I mean it kinda' two ways: it was more fun to me when the timeline mattered, but now that it doesn't, that also pretty much doesn't matter and we can just play the games and take them as they are.

I'm not sure I agree with it not mattering now but I'm glad you've found peace

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Even better

That's based on what region eShop you bought it from, not where you actually reside right?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
West Coast, Best Coast

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm moving back east soon and two things I'll greatly miss: football early in the day, and 9pm game launches

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Anybody know about the pro hud (if it has one) and/or if there's a master mode? Gotta have my Zeldin Ring experience.

Pro hud same as botw, hides hearts now dynamically. Dunno about master mode, i would say its probably dlc again

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
The hidden heart hud is nice. Not surprised that master will most likely be DLC.

Hopefully it'll be more than just higher tier monsters and is actually more balanced this time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, master mode in BotW didn’t impress me. Giving monsters more health feels like tedium rather than a challenge.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, master mode in BotW didn’t impress me. Giving monsters more health feels like tedium rather than a challenge.

The first time I actually despised the weapon system was in master mode during trials of the master sword. Just resorted to throwing bombs around to conserve weapon HP and it was not fun.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
realized that i hadnt finished all of the quests in BotW, so i figured i should do that

I'm at 83/90 quests cleared
one of the quests i still need to do... is rushroom rush...

i have zero rushrooms :negative:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Does this game seriously still have weapon durability?

Like I'm reading this dumb article about how tears of the kingdom 'fixed' the durability problem from botw...

quote:

Because of this, durability will not simply be a source of frustration that drives players to conserve their weaponry and shields. Instead, every broken weapon will be an opportunity to try something different, to search the surrounding environment for new combinations with their own unique potential.

The fusion system sounds cool but I don't see how this fixes the durability issue in any way? Botw had a lot of different stuff you could switch too as well and I don't think that's why people hated the durability system.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If you haven’t made peace with durability in 2023 then just don’t play it, it’s not very difficult. It’s way past time to kick that rotting horse.