Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Ooooh, I want to help! I'll put the gun to Elon's head while he tries to read Grimes' DMs. I think Elon has one on his nightstand we can use.

Wasn't that just a preorder toy from some videogame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Remember when twitter circles was supposed to be private but were showing up in everyone's feed?

Encrypted DMs gonna be the same thing lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DMing myself goatse just in case

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1656058701839491074?s=20

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Wasn't that just a preorder toy from some videogame?
Yeah, it's not going to do the needful.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
elon bought twitter so he could have a safe space to air his terrible views because he was too much of a coward to do so otherwise

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

what does "DM reply to any message in the thread" mean?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Slotducks posted:

what does "DM reply to any message in the thread" mean?

I'm guessing he means it will be like Discord, where you can click on a prior message to quote it as part of your reply.

But it's Elon so it's probably going to catch on fire somehow.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

About 8 years ago I tried to get my uncle to stop using Yahoo after that massive data breach scandal and gave up halfway through migrating everything to Google. Sometimes the horse just will not drink the loving water even when they're dying of thirst.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who was the employee who was tapped to administer this firearm-related "acid test"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

it's the loving dog again

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Note: The gun is the fake gun Elon had on his nightstand

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

ashpanash posted:

Note: The gun is the fake gun Elon had on his nightstand

Are you sure you aren't living the same day over and over again?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:tinfoil: Honestly I've felt like Leon literally bought Twitter to see Grimes DMs, so this seems like very circumstantial confirmation to me :tinfoil:

Was anyone worried about Leon reading their DMs before he tweeted that?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

koshmar posted:

Elon's out there boosting conspiracy theories and giving Tucker a new soapbox.

Meanwhile the FBI has to produce videos like this

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1655965045237350401?s=20

I like how the moral of this story is that the cops don't enter until you subdue the shooter, so good luck.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

About 8 years ago I tried to get my uncle to stop using Yahoo after that massive data breach scandal and gave up halfway through migrating everything to Google. Sometimes the horse just will not drink the loving water even when they're dying of thirst.
I wonder if at some point the adaptability just fails. My dad was a very competent computer toucher back in the day (DOS user, cut teeth on pre-Word pre-Excel word processors and spreadsheet programs, avid flight simulator enthusiast) and these days he's technologically useless and can't even keep his passwords straight.

It concerns me for my own future.

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how the moral of this story is that the cops don't enter until you subdue the shooter, so good luck.

Honestly I'm a bit shocked to see this kind of honesty.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Haha, they also imply that if you're fleeing and you don't show your hands the cops will definitely shoot you.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm guessing he means it will be like Discord, where you can click on a prior message to quote it as part of your reply.

But it's Elon so it's probably going to catch on fire somehow.

So basically the spam filled Twitter DMs are gonna finally do what iMessage, Instagram, WhatsApp, and pretty much every other messaging app has been doing for ages now! Elon just never stops innovating. Wow. Can’t wait to see the crypto bots threading their spam messages from now on

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jelly posted:

Haha, they also imply that if you're fleeing and you don't show your hands the cops will definitely shoot you.

I'm not sure about this. Empirical evidence so far suggests that cops are much happier shooting unarmed people than armed people.
Perhaps you should keep your hand under your jacket to imply that you might have a gun?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure about this. Empirical evidence so far suggests that cops are much happier shooting unarmed people than armed people.
Perhaps you should keep your hand under your jacket to imply that you might have a gun?

Solid advice. Just make sure to do it in a relatively high per capita income area so that when your surviving family members sue the city, they can get a sweet payout.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

It's clear that while Musk had his own, inchoate existing bigotries before, he's also maybe the most prominent case of someone being radicalized by the algorithm. And in record time too. He's gone from banning Alex Jones for spreading conspiracy theories about dead kids to engaging in them himself. He's also now mainlining Stormfront propaganda, which he didn't before.

This is all because the far right are the only ones telling him he's brilliant now and he's in a feedback loop of positive engagement and polarization with them.

I think I'm getting rid of my Twitter account, I was using it to lurk but I feel gross even being there.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

an acid test means that you can verify that it works...

what he's saying doesn't even make any sense. how do you even prove a negative? "i can't see your dms. because if a gunmen had a gun pointed at my head. i couldn't tell him" doesn't prove anything. it just means you made something up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Darchangel posted:

On another note, just because it's cathartic (I know they'll never actually see or read my posts - I'm not Blue) I've been calling Elon and the other idiots all sorts of names in replies, and not once has Twitter given me the "are you sure you want to say this" warning. I don't know if it's broken, or it's just given up on trying to keep me from saying bad words. The other day it was doing it for pretty mild swears. Now it's silent when I'm telling him to go gently caress himself.

Isn't that the warning that says something along the lines of "most people aren't tweeting like this" which implies that now most people are tweeting for Elon to go gently caress himself raw.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think he means the acid test of if the encryption works. which is, like, yeah that would be a good feature of the system: to work at the minimum expected level.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I say we hold a gun to his head and just see what happens

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I guess what he's going for is "theoretically I, Elon Musk, root user on Twitter, could read anybody's DMs if I wanted to. Only my inherent goodness and forbearance prevents me from doing so. But if you hold a gun to my head and tell me you'll shoot me unless I read someone's DMs, then I have motivation to break any of my personal boundaries and only the new encryption that you've put in will stop me."

Which is like ... okay but we all know they're not going to pull the trigger if they've put in good enough encryption to prevent you from reading Grimes' DMs, and they're not exactly motivated by "wanting to kill you" as the carrot for making a good encryption algo. I THINK

It's insane however you read it, it veers close to coherence but flies apart under its own centrifugal force

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

His bff is definitely one of the baddies
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status...ingawful.com%2F

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway until Elon bought Twitter it would never have occurred to me in one hundred billion years to imagine that Twitter DMs were NOT encrypted.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
nah Musk like Donnie thinks acid is like the actual physical liquid acid.

its like when Clinton used BitBleach.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I'm too stupid to understand what catturd even means with that gif freezing comment

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

He is dumping the current unencrypted dm archive onto a USB stick at this exact moment

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jelly posted:

I'm too stupid to understand what catturd even means with that gif freezing comment

This is what the gif looks like normally

He says that by screenshotting it at that specific moment it loses ~critical context~ and makes him look like he's saying something bad like "nazis are good :D" instead of what he intended which was "nazis are good ;-*"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

nah Musk like Donnie thinks acid is like the actual physical liquid acid.

its like when Clinton used BitBleach.

Isn't that where 'acid test' comes from? Testing metal-presented-as-gold by dripping acid on it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

"I wasn't posting a smiling picture about being called a nazi, I was posting a winking and smiling gif of being a nazi. It loses all context when you only have one frame!"

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
They're really embracing this post-modernism thing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

WTF is this syphilitic boomer rear end Florida man trying to even say?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Good news for me, I don't feel stupid for misunderstanding that. Thanks as usual, team.

Escape From Noise posted:

WTF is this syphilitic boomer rear end Florida man trying to even say?

Thank you as well.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

an acid test means that you can verify that it works...

what he's saying doesn't even make any sense. how do you even prove a negative? "i can't see your dms. because if a gunmen had a gun pointed at my head. i couldn't tell him" doesn't prove anything. it just means you made something up.

excellent critique, sir!

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
an acid test is when you invite the wrong azelia banks over and have to hide in your bedroom tripping balls and committing sec violations

Angela Merkle Tree fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Okay fine I can type in the backdoor password to get in, but the gun test is still true because holding the gun didn't enable access automatically :elon:"