Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azathoth posted:

"The poison arrow trap releasing a puff of lavender and chamomile with the propellant was a nice touch, as was disguising the pit trap with an expensive illuskan-weave rug."

OK, the idea has been iterated on - the players join the Happy Dungeon Academy and are tasked with breaking into dungeons and testing and grading them for the mysterious Lyle.

They also all get issued red blazers they have to wear while on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

How's the bait going to work if taking the bait reveals the trap before its triggered? Any adventurers worth their salt would be rolling it up and stuffing it in their bag of holding, not walking on it

To say nothing of how those adventurers would be looking for hidden passages under every conspicuous rug anyway

Trying to pull or lift the rug triggers a second, even deadlier trap.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm. By what criteria do the players achieve success? How would they progress?

We need a gameplay loop.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can I find family background or extended background apps or kits for D&D somewhere? I come from Runequest and really like the extended way you roll family history and members.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tias posted:

Can I find family background or extended background apps or kits for D&D somewhere? I come from Runequest and really like the extended way you roll family history and members.

That’s in a section called “This Is Your Life” in Xanathar’s Guide to Everything.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh cool! Thanks.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Recently ran Wild Sheep Chase for a group of complete beginners; they enjoyed it and now they want another one-shot. Any recommendations of one-shots I could use?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Skyhorn Lighthouse is consistently rated pretty high. It's also free!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

Skyhorn Lighthouse is consistently rated pretty high. It's also free!

Seconded on this, I ran it a while back and it was a lot of fun, particularly for me, as it was my first time DMing.

Dungeon Meister
Apr 25, 2023

I'm thinking of making inspiration more powerful, so you can use it to change any die roll to a 20. Would this break the game?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
That's not game breaking but you need to be more judicious about handing out inspiration. Alternately, tell your players they can use inspiration to impart advantage or disadvantage on any d20 roll OR, if they wish, they can take a non-critical roll of 20 but the DM then gains one charge of imposing a non-critical roll of 1 at any time the DM chooses.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Destiny tokens are a good mechanic lol.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dungeon Meister posted:

I'm thinking of making inspiration more powerful, so you can use it to change any die roll to a 20. Would this break the game?
Questions like this make me realise how much 5e hates the idea of giving the PCs more than the tiniest bit of extra help with anything. It's all a +1 bonus here, a minor improvement every 5 levels there, and if you're not a caster then you can't have nice things (bye-bye, damage on a miss). Let them be big drat heroes! Give them a power that says "Once per encounter, you can choose to double your damage roll and really smack the poo poo out of an enemy"!

It's the continuation of 1e's "gently caress the players" mentality that brought us Ear Seekers, I suppose.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If you’re gonna make such a powerful token, give like 3 of them to each player and tell them “these will never come back, so use them wisely”. Then give out 1 extra at the end of a long campaign, after doing something insanely epic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Personally I wouldn't give out an auto-20 inspiration. Not so much for "balance" reasons as because I feel it would short circuit a lot of the game's tension and make me less likely to give out inspiration. Advantage is plenty powerful. I don't want my PC's automatically succeeding any more than I want them automatically failing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

An idea pops into my head without the rule books to check, but how many of the 'you can reroll a d20' features can be applied to divination wizards, specifically their weird banked roll thing?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Divination Wizards get three pre-rolled d20s every day at level 20. It's not game breaking. Bountiful Luck feat is a much stronger ability.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bobby Deluxe posted:

An idea pops into my head without the rule books to check, but how many of the 'you can reroll a d20' features can be applied to divination wizards, specifically their weird banked roll thing?

I don't think any of them can? The portent rolls aren't ability checks, saving throws, or attack rolls. I don't think any ability lets you reroll plain d20 rolls.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No I mean could you reroll the prerolls, and if so how many abilities would let you do that?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No I mean could you reroll the prerolls, and if so how many abilities would let you do that?

That's what I meant, I don't think anything lets you reroll the prerolls. "When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled", and e.g. Lucky says "Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20". IIRC other reroll abilities use similar phrasing too, only applying to (some subset of) attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. And the portent prerolls aren't any of those.

Zurreco posted:

Divination Wizards get three pre-rolled d20s every day at level 20. It's not game breaking. Bountiful Luck feat is a much stronger ability.

You mean Lucky, the one that gives you 3 rerolls a day? Bountiful luck is the halfling feat that lets you use your reaction to reroll a nat 1 rolled by an ally within 30 feet. It's nice of course but I wouldn't call it stronger than portent or lucky.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Staltran posted:

You mean Lucky, the one that gives you 3 rerolls a day? Bountiful luck is the halfling feat that lets you use your reaction to reroll a nat 1 rolled by an ally within 30 feet. It's nice of course but I wouldn't call it stronger than portent or lucky.

I think an unlimited amount of redos on nat 1s for the whole party l is way more powerful than 3 rerolls a day for one PC. Whenever I play a Halfling Bountiful Luck is a slam pick at 4.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
How many parties are rolling around at level 20?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would guess that after the level 12 lull there's a spike at 20 for groups who want to play with all the toys.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The highest level I GM for was 17. They started from level 1, so it was quite a journey

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My party is at 13, I'll probably end the campaign around 15 and do a time jump for a higher-level epilogue at 17. Running a level 20 game seems like a nightmare

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My last game had us end it at lv 16. Even with 4 martial characters our DM had a hard time throwing anything at us and us not taking it out pretty handily. I don't think he was feeling like throwing more things at us given that we already had 2 fighters resolving 6 attacks on the 1st round and generally 2 or 3 attacks from us the rest of the time

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Their last fight was a giant assault to an evil God temple. It was actually one of the first places they visited years before, when they were low level and it was completely abandoned. A bunch of powerful demons and undeads guarding the place, a lot of crazy high level spells flying around, a lot of anime monk poo poo and paladin super powerful Jedi knight smites... It was fun.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 11, 2023

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

change my name posted:

Running a level 20 game seems like a nightmare

I've had a blast every time I've run a campaign up to 20. The question stops being, "will the party overcome this challenge?" and becomes "by what ridiculous means will the party overcome this challenge?"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You can be a lot more recklessly self destructive at higher levels. I fondly remember a fighter in our campaign piledriving a beholder he was grappling into a fall at terminal velocity when it was injured enough for it to kill him and merely incapacitate the fighter

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Divination wizards are awesome because it doesn’t matter what the d20 portent roll ends up being. You can use high rolls to guarantee hits and low rolls to guarantee failed saves.

I’ve occasionally given a portent-like effect as a bonus to represent a vague glimpse of the future that isn’t clear until it happens. One player rolled a 20 at 2nd level at a shrine of Savras and saved the use of it for a killing blow against a dragon at 10th level. The party loved the critical hit and I loved the symbolism of an adventurer making sense of a personal prophecy.

Players sure do hate to use one-time magic!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The Divination Wizard in my group likes to use portents to speed up boring social encounters. It's win win.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zurreco posted:

The Divination Wizard in my group likes to use portents to speed up boring social encounters. It's win win.

I'm picturing them doing the Joseph Joestar "Next you'll say (blank) :smuggo:" "Yeah, well (blank)! Uuggghuaaa!? :stare:" thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
alright, the post you've all been waiting for. I watched the D&D movie, took notes on everything that stuck out to me, for wrong or good, and checked them afterwards (using 5e sources as much as possible) for accuracy. In total there were 30 bad lore things and 4 good deep cut lore things.

spoilers are for D&D: honor among thieves of course

-why are there horses in icewind dale
-lore check: "grand larceny and skullduggery" does that fit the waterdeep code of justice (no, per waterdeep: dragon heist)
-"the harpers faction"
-you don't need to say "thayan red wizards" the red wizards are of thay, period
-"no cleric can repair the damage from a red wizard's blade" what
-that is way too modern a pane of glass
-lore check: "korinn's keep" the harper stronghold (korin archipelago, yes, but new for movie)
-time stop doesn't work that way it should be a stasis field
-map projection on the title was a little bit off
-what the gently caress, enchanted paper advertising???
-why is there an open volcano in the middle of the North (probably supposed to be Mount Never, but it definitely doesn't look like that)
-"high sun games" aka NOON GAMES
-why does everything have fuckin gothic arches
-there's no such thing as a "professor" in the forgotten realms
-a person on faerun wouldn't be talking about being a god like that
-lore check: "ghelryn foehammer" & darksteel (character is from SKT)
-they're heading east from neverwinter along a plain IMPOSSIBLE
-"my five year old can do that magic" (no, see swords of eveningstar)
-coins are accurate (waterdhavian) but that's easy
-why is someone herding axe beaks?
-is this in teumanthaar? (no just a wood elf settlement in neverwinter wood called the emerald tavern)
-"caldwell and piradost" from waterdeep and baldur's gate (characters are new, existing families)
-why is it protected by a seal from mordenkainen
-WHY IS CASTLE NEVER ON A GIANT MOUNTAIN HILL
-why is the gate to neverwinter so fuckin EMPTY
-why is the elk tribe buried in fuckin coffins
-"in the Anauroch" pronounced anor-och ??? (this pronounciation is pretty all over the place so they get a pass)
-AN ELK TRIBE MEMBER WOULDN'T BE READING BOOKS
-lore check: "the fanged tome of lykanthus szar" (in fuckin Blackstaff, good reference although extremely out of place)
-lore check: harper sanctuary at mornbryn's shield? (new for movie)
-lore check: szass tam's spell to turn thay undead was called the "beckoning death" (new for movie)
-why is a paladin in the harpers anyway (no idea)
-lore check: entrance to dolblunde in the sword mountains/kryptgarden forest (not canon)
-who is xenk a paladin of with the "no resurrection" talk (script says triadic, not in final movie)
-why is dolblunde so lit up (it's likely not the real dolblunde)
-"the hanging city of dolblunde" bullshit (again not the real dolblunde)
-"hither-thither staff" that's a fuckin portal gun (lol)
-mulan sounds like an asian language not mesopotamian/ancient egyptian
-dolblunde is not under the sea of swords (again not dolblunde)
-azuth hosed with the sorcerer (no that's supposed to be elminster who they race swapped i guess, the casting/movie/novelization disagree with each other so this may be simon imagining his future self as elminster but it's weird)
-lore check: "aoth fezim" (yep, leader of the brotherhood of the griffon)
-why are the grey hands in the high sun tournament

tl;dr: everything about dolblunde is wrong to the point they maybe just took the name and put it on some random other deep gnome ruin. the geography of the North is incredibly wrong, despite it being the background to the title drop. they retconned a ton about Szass Tam turning Thay into undead.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arivia posted:

alright, the post you've all been waiting for. I watched the D&D movie, took notes on everything that stuck out to me, for wrong or good, and checked them afterwards (using 5e sources as much as possible) for accuracy. In total there were 30 bad lore things and 4 good deep cut lore things.

spoilers are for D&D: honor among thieves of course

-why are there horses in icewind dale
-lore check: "grand larceny and skullduggery" does that fit the waterdeep code of justice (no, per waterdeep: dragon heist)
-"the harpers faction"
-you don't need to say "thayan red wizards" the red wizards are of thay, period
-"no cleric can repair the damage from a red wizard's blade" what
-that is way too modern a pane of glass
-lore check: "korinn's keep" the harper stronghold (korin archipelago, yes, but new for movie)
-time stop doesn't work that way it should be a stasis field
-map projection on the title was a little bit off
-what the gently caress, enchanted paper advertising???
-why is there an open volcano in the middle of the North (probably supposed to be Mount Never, but it definitely doesn't look like that)
-"high sun games" aka NOON GAMES
-why does everything have fuckin gothic arches
-there's no such thing as a "professor" in the forgotten realms
-a person on faerun wouldn't be talking about being a god like that
-lore check: "ghelryn foehammer" & darksteel (character is from SKT)
-they're heading east from neverwinter along a plain IMPOSSIBLE
-"my five year old can do that magic" (no, see swords of eveningstar)
-coins are accurate (waterdhavian) but that's easy
-why is someone herding axe beaks?
-is this in teumanthaar? (no just a wood elf settlement in neverwinter wood called the emerald tavern)
-"caldwell and piradost" from waterdeep and baldur's gate (characters are new, existing families)
-why is it protected by a seal from mordenkainen
-WHY IS CASTLE NEVER ON A GIANT MOUNTAIN HILL
-why is the gate to neverwinter so fuckin EMPTY
-why is the elk tribe buried in fuckin coffins
-"in the Anauroch" pronounced anor-och ??? (this pronounciation is pretty all over the place so they get a pass)
-AN ELK TRIBE MEMBER WOULDN'T BE READING BOOKS
-lore check: "the fanged tome of lykanthus szar" (in fuckin Blackstaff, good reference although extremely out of place)
-lore check: harper sanctuary at mornbryn's shield? (new for movie)
-lore check: szass tam's spell to turn thay undead was called the "beckoning death" (new for movie)
-why is a paladin in the harpers anyway (no idea)
-lore check: entrance to dolblunde in the sword mountains/kryptgarden forest (not canon)
-who is xenk a paladin of with the "no resurrection" talk (script says triadic, not in final movie)
-why is dolblunde so lit up (it's likely not the real dolblunde)
-"the hanging city of dolblunde" bullshit (again not the real dolblunde)
-"hither-thither staff" that's a fuckin portal gun (lol)
-mulan sounds like an asian language not mesopotamian/ancient egyptian
-dolblunde is not under the sea of swords (again not dolblunde)
-azuth hosed with the sorcerer (no that's supposed to be elminster who they race swapped i guess, the casting/movie/novelization disagree with each other so this may be simon imagining his future self as elminster but it's weird)
-lore check: "aoth fezim" (yep, leader of the brotherhood of the griffon)
-why are the grey hands in the high sun tournament

tl;dr: everything about dolblunde is wrong to the point they maybe just took the name and put it on some random other deep gnome ruin. the geography of the North is incredibly wrong, despite it being the background to the title drop. they retconned a ton about Szass Tam turning Thay into undead.

Paladins don't need to follow a god in 5e, just an idea, and I believe and any class can join the Harpers.

also I can't believe you missed that the other arena team was the party from the 80s D&D cartoon

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Did you enjoy it though?

I thought it was surprisingly entertaining.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

imagine dungeons posted:

Did you enjoy it though?

I thought it was surprisingly entertaining.

Yes, I thought it was a good summer action flick and would recommend it to anyone who wants to watch one, or D&D players. There's nothing to be upset at except for deep FR lore nerds like myself.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
If the D&D movie is intended to evoke the feeling of actual D&D, then not taking FR lore seriously is a necessary feature.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The portal gun is canon, they added it in a pack of magic items to promote the film. I know that's cheating, but it does exist.

I think my favourite dumb idea in the lead up was the idea of them really leaning into tabletop tropes, like every vendor is played by the same guy doing different voices, or a party member dies and the next tavern they go to they recruit a guy played by the same actor.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 12, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The portal gun is canon, they added it in a pack of magic items to promote the film.

I know that's cheating, but it does exist.

yeah they did that with a bunch of them, i was just kinda like "that's a really bad name and also ow creatively bankrupt" (although they did some cool stuff with it later on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
What is everyone here doing for music and ambience during sessions? I usually have a player handle it, but I'm kinda interested in trying to do it myself. My experience so far has been that random D&D playlists on the internet stink. Reasons include tracks being dissonant from the alleged playlist theme, inconsistent volume, random pop or non-instrumental songs, and use of the Skyrim OST.