Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 6-7, 1950)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 29-30, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Laughed pretty hard at this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

fondue posted:

April has an eye patch?

No but I think it’d be funny if the characters got more and more off model every time FOOB was rebooted/“updated” for the current decade.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ellie gives a great dramatic sigh as April pours orange juice into her cybernetics again

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I lost track of the phantom for a bit. Did he die die or was he having dream inception?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RandomPauI posted:

I lost track of the phantom for a bit. Did he die die or was he having dream inception?

He hasn't died yet, he's freed the violent unstable person, and is now freeing every other (non-criminal) person in the prison in a desperate bid for this to change things enough that he won't get owned and turned into a corncob by destiny.

A reminder, the violent unstable person still has a grenade launcher, last we saw them.

Also, Phantoms wife has read the prophecy and when/if he gets home he is in so much trouble :mmmhmm:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RandomPauI posted:

he snuck into the prison and sprung savarna, got her all the way outside and almost managed to beat guran by sneaking savarna out quietly from a different entrance than prophesied, but savarna got her hands on a rotary grenade launcher and incinerated a guard tower, so phantom decided if were gonna leave loud in a hail of gunfire its gonna be a lot louder with a lot more gunfire, and is now in the process of breaking the entire prison* out of hellhole human rights violation prison, aided by his wife who got her hands on, read, and equally said gently caress that prophecy and sent their personal army of pygmy hunters qua assassins as support

*except for his political enemies, who will be staying in hellhole human rights violation prison

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

That boat looks absurdly big.

And Mary, cruises have a habit of turning out badly in your world!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

davidspackage posted:

That boat looks absurdly big.

And Mary, cruises have a habit of turning out badly in your world!

Jeff is secretly a Russian oligarch in disguise and that's his megayacht.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

Finally, FOOB will explain how April got her eyepatch.

(ANOTHER strip where the toddler is just left alone? If you hate April so much Lynn, you didn’t have to invent her. )

Didn't April get into the chemicals under the sink the last time she was left alone? I get she's supposed to be the wish fulfillment kid for the author, but it still makes me feel weirdly nervous.

I like how they all but said that the rabbits wouldn't do poo poo to help if Rudy hadn't been an ex-easter bunny.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I know the English term is camera surveillance, but the original Finnish (once again) can either mean "the police are doing enhanced surveillance by camera" or "the police are doing enhanced monitoring on cameras" and I'm not sure if "camera surveillance" would have both meanings. Maybe it would?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 12, 1916)

Little Nemo(April 8, 1906)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 03, 1957)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/1-3/47

Back in the day, even Archie was using suicide as a punchline.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I know the English term is camera surveillance, but the original Finnish (once again) can either mean "the police are doing enhanced surveillance by camera" or "the police are doing enhanced monitoring on cameras" and I'm not sure if "camera surveillance" would have both meanings. Maybe it would?

This feels like the Finnish equivalent of the American joke where a sign that says "speed enforced by aircraft" has an Apache gunship just visible over the horizon. Non-lethal, but sufficiently derisive and belligerent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Congrats on the big week, Vargo!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/9/03

Brenda Starr 12/11-13/50

Smokey Stover 7/25/54

Everyday Movies 5/25/36

"It's Harry on the phone. He and Bill want to come over this evening and play bridge. Shall I put them off and hope someone calls who wants to take us out?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/9-11/41

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Welcome to PIG WEEK. Except it's going to be PIG WEEK for the next two weeks.

That is one happy & cute pig.

Pluggers

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

It really is true what they say, Dethany * is the worst character in the strip, except for all the other characters

*from 'On the Fastrack'!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Never seen an 8x10 chessboard before.

Slylock Fox

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

That character's design cracks me up every time I see it. Just absolute dogshit

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Got some crossovers with Overboard and Dustin today

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
that Pinocchio is legit terrifying.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I agree also that Patina's "goth" look is absolute dogshit though I get mad seeing it exist lol

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Also lol at "three people at a beach? the only explanation is wedding."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 7, 1935)

Peanuts (May 12, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 9, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

If I didn't get around to mentioning it yet, Sutra was a Bobby London addition to the cast. As Olive's cousin, she was presented as a study in contrasts, to put it politely.

Out Our Way (October 2-4, 1941)

Meanwhile, from the "nothing to do with OOW except being part of the same world" department, one of those occasional reminders that the present didn't come out of a vacuum.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 10, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "7 - Jucika is Late"

Fonok is "Boss."

"8 - Jucika and the Minicar"

Newspaper is "Minicar in fashion." She's so commanding. :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Welcome to PIG WEEK. Except it's going to be PIG WEEK for the next two weeks.

That is one happy & cute pig.

Awwww!

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, from the "nothing to do with OOW except being part of the same world" department, one of those occasional reminders that the present didn't come out of a vacuum.

Goddamn, what a story :(

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

davidspackage posted:

"We'll decide what to hold her on later." Holy poo poo gently caress the police

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves
As mentioned yesterday, six missing strips, so you have to imagine what happened. It's pretty easy though, since Into is now taking the loggers to the wedding and the big guy is already there to tell Tukkipokki that they are coming.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

davidspackage posted:

Medenmath posted:

"We'll decide what to hold her on later." Holy poo poo gently caress the police

Can't speak for Orlando's whole life, but this incident, at least, ends better than you'd expect for '41.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New comic;
Oisann (translates into whoops) by Marius Stene

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

I thought the bouquet was a ham.

As for that final one without the exact age of the “young girls” it’s a little nebulous. I do realize women not married yet would be described as girls in general. He sounds like a bit of a predator.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No other way to interpret this than Ed being so buttmad at the idea of buying organic (how "woke") that he'd rather just not buy fresh fruit at all.

Also, I like the ongoing Sally Forth story lines where adults are loving everything up and kids/teens are having to deal with the fallout. Given climate change, this is not at all a stretch of the imagination.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Countless = lukematon (singular)/lukemattomat (plural), literally "without count" or possibly even "that haven't been counted"
Lukea = to include in a count
Luku = count/number
Luku = chapter/reading
Lukea = to read
Lukematon = One who hasn't read
Minulla on ollut lukemattomia naisia = I've had countless women
Minulla on ollut lukemattomia naisia = I've had women who don't read

I'm pretty sure this connection between "to read" and "to count" isn't accidental; this is mostly a hunch, but it feels like there could be an etymological link of "lukea" referring to both counting and reading via being used to refer to e.g. going through numbered lists such as legal texts.

ANSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery