Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You thought this was the Succession thread too?!

edit: :xd: snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't think Magic can really fail. I think you need something to take the throne. Magic sits on a throne built from the bodies of failed pretenders.

Next up: Lorcana. Will the House of Mouse finally unseat Garfield's juggernaut?

I've heard a few people say they quit Magic to play Lorcana, though I doubt it will detrhone MTG, because of it's legacy, just with how long it's been around and how many players it has. I do hope Lorcana does well, and I'm looking foreword to it coming out. (I've been even making decks and I've played a game).

w00tmonger posted:

I was really hoping lcgs etc overtook ccg's, but the community angle is always going to be really difficult to overcome vs magic/pokemon/etc.

Same. They were a thing for maybe a decade (if even that) and now their really not, besides the rebirth of Netrunner. (it looks like FF still publishes a few, but I havn't seen any of them actually being played or really talked about online., or packs sold in stores)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I think the only LCGs that FFG are actively publishing and working on right now are Arkham, Marvel, and LotR, which are all cooperative. As far as I know, their LCG division got downsized in the general gutting of the company by Asmodee along with everything else, and they've completely abandoned competitive card games in favor of the few cooperative ones they have left.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Even with the IP I think Lorcana is at best a splash in the pan because it's being published by Ravensburger...

Even Asmodee FFG couldn't make it happen with their Star Wars CCG (Destiny), and that one had crazy demand and an actual aftermarket for singles, etc.

Edit: :lol: the timing. They're giving it another go

https://starwarsunlimited.com/articles/press-release

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 9, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Even with the IP I think Lorcana is at best a splash in the pan because it's being published by Ravensburger...

Even Asmodee FFG couldn't make it happen with their Star Wars CCG (Destiny), and that one had crazy demand and an actual aftermarket for singles, etc.

Edit: :lol: the timing. They're giving it another go

https://starwarsunlimited.com/articles/press-release

FFG has really turned into the Google of board game product.

"Hmm... a new chat app Star Wars game from Google FFG? How long until it's canceled?"

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The problem with Destiny at least in my area was that after the initial release, there was just no product for months. I was working in a FLGS at the time and we just couldn't get anything.

People thought the game was cool and wanted to start it, but there wasn't anything to buy, and everyone just said 'gently caress it, you've got Magic boosters right?'.

From what we could see either they just massively underestimated the demand for the game or there must have been some kind of significant supply chain fuckup.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was both IIRC. The dice screen printing process hurt their turn around time when demand surged and they never recovered. The game had some massively broken stuff in from the first set too, but was otherwise a nest system that could have gone for years with a better distribution model.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

evenworse username posted:

From what we could see either they just massively underestimated the demand for the game or there must have been some kind of significant supply chain fuckup.

More than anything else, this is what I expect to kill Lorcana. For their sake, hopefully Ravensburger understands what they're in for.

If people want to talk about Lorcana or... whatever the gently caress this new thing is from Fantasy Flight, then I highly suggest visiting Railing Kill's awesome Fringe/Dead CCG thread. It is the pro-est click in Trad Games.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Arivia posted:

it's easy to tell if troops are good or evil, just look at their alignment entry

This is what Paizo wants to hide from you :prepop:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That probably won't be enough. Domestic matters a hell of a lore more than international and it didn't even match its budgest domestically. Which is a shame, it's a very watchable movie.

It was the best Hugh Grant I've seen in a good while

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't think Magic can really fail. I think you need something to take the throne. Magic sits on a throne built from the bodies of failed pretenders.

Next up: Lorcana. Will the House of Mouse finally unseat Garfield's juggernaut?

Edit: this almost made me create a false memory of a 90s Garfield TCG

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 10, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lorcana is basically a terminally boring copy of the Vs Systems games of the early 2000s. It's not "bad", per se, but it's incredibly safe and shallow. A lot of "vanilla" creatures. It also leans into the "I can only do things on my own turn" space.

It's clearly designed to be simple and quickly portable to digital. It's very much "a game for children and adults who have season passes to the theme parks".

It's going to grind Ravensberger to paste, but a competitor to the MtG/YGO/Pokemon trifecta, it is not.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dexo posted:

The only thing that *might* be notable is like if Mercer and co's new system can get any sort of traction. Which if they are able to like get streamers and others playing it, might I guess put a small dent in D&D's footprint, but even then lmao.

S3 is pretty clearly designed to permit a rules-change and possibly a revamp of the deities, but WotC has at least until they wrap that campaign, which I’d guess is less than halfway through. If the system they’re releasing is going to be their new system, I wonder about the timing.

I could be wrong and Mercer could be planning to change systems mid-campaign, but that’s non-trivial to do.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Best cardgame ive played In ages is still keyforge and I really hope it makes a comeback post covid.

Richard Garfield "deck builder" where the decks are randomly enerated by a computer before theyre even packaged and you aren't allowed to modify them.

Reaaaaly cool discovery process trying out a new deck. Because you can't modify the deck it lets them make some really busted rear end cards that you couldn't get away with with a traditional deck builder

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So it’s a deck builder where you can’t build your deck and where money can completely buy wins because decks aren’t balanced with one another?

Can’t imagine why it isn’t more popular.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kalman posted:

So it’s a deck builder where you can’t build your deck and where money can completely buy wins because decks aren’t balanced with one another?

Because FFG lost the deck generating algorithm and sold it off because that was cheaper than remaking it. There was even a rumor that it was ransomware or sabotage by someone inside the company. Not joking. :lol:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Keyforge is the only CCG in existence to have to go on hiatus because the algorthim they used to make the random decks broke.

e; lmao I didn't know they sold it off afterwards, incredible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, to the former head of Asmodee/founder of FFG Christian Petersen for his new venture.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kalman posted:

I bought a dozen or so decks to play with my wife and it ends up working weirdly enough. nothings perfectly balanced, but balanced enough to make it more about finding what a deck does well

the format for local store's was more or less buying a deck for the night for $10 which is super reasonable vs showing up with a $500 net-deck like magic

Didn't know about the algorithm issue, that's nuts/amazing

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Back in like 2018, FFG was my favorite game company with a whole slew of awesome stuff: the Star Wars LCG and RPG, Game of Thrones, all their Warhammer stuff, X Wing, just loads of cool games with really high production value that weren't actively trying to scam you with booster packs. Their acquisition and subsequent looting by Asmodee is, in my opinion, one of the great TG industry tragedies of the last decade.

Most of those games are dead now: some of them have been given to other Asmodee companies to suffer a slow demise while others were just abandoned. FFG/Asmodee lost the Warhammer license, which might be entirely due to GW, but it did rob us of the chance to see Dark Heresy Genesys or any expansions to the Warhammer Quest ACG. Edge has been saying they're working on new Star Wars RPG material for like 3 years now with nothing but a couple of reprints to show for it.

FFG was doing some really cool and innovative stuff with incredible production value and now they're a hollow shell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

the format for local store's was more or less buying a deck for the night for $10 which is super reasonable vs showing up with a $500 net-deck like magic

You can also draft Magic instead of paying a zillion for a constructed format where you need to buy expensive cards to be competitive. Drafting is a really good format!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I didn't stick with it but playing weekly Draft magic at a shop right at the start of a new block is a pretty solid way to get into the game as well as build up a fun enough 'kitchen table' deck to play against your friends who also are building decks the same way.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FishFood posted:

Back in like 2018, FFG was my favorite game company with a whole slew of awesome stuff: the Star Wars LCG and RPG, Game of Thrones, all their Warhammer stuff, X Wing, just loads of cool games with really high production value that weren't actively trying to scam you with booster packs. Their acquisition and subsequent looting by Asmodee is, in my opinion, one of the great TG industry tragedies of the last decade.

Most of those games are dead now: some of them have been given to other Asmodee companies to suffer a slow demise while others were just abandoned. FFG/Asmodee lost the Warhammer license, which might be entirely due to GW, but it did rob us of the chance to see Dark Heresy Genesys or any expansions to the Warhammer Quest ACG. Edge has been saying they're working on new Star Wars RPG material for like 3 years now with nothing but a couple of reprints to show for it.

FFG was doing some really cool and innovative stuff with incredible production value and now they're a hollow shell.

A slight correction: FFG and Asmodee merged in 2014 and a lot of their golden era happened after the merger. What destroyed FFG was Asmodee getting bought by a private equity firm in, as you said, 2018.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
FFG's stuff, especially the LotR LCG and X-Wing, is what got me back into TTG after leaving it behind in the early 2000s because it was accessible and not nearly as predatory as a lot of other stuff out there. It's a real shame it's gone the way it has and that no one has stepped into their shoes. I held out hope for a long time that they might produce a LotR LCG 2.0 but that looks incredibly unlikely now...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh don't worry we're gonna get a new LOTR game, all right

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1655875618993590272

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kalman posted:

Honestly the biggest problem is how long it took for some of those games to end. I've heard of longer but we did a 90 minute game and haven't played since. Cool idea, I like the idea of building something being the goal instead of killing your opponent etc, but christ 90 minutes for a 1v1 card game no

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The best recent deckbuilder is Marvel Snap, if any of you haven't tried it check it out, it's an extremely clever design.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I could see Star Wars Unlimited taking off, assuming FFG keeps up with demand. The dice were a huge turnoff for a lot of people with Destiny.

I agree with Marvel Snap being awesome though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Marvel snap is a real toilet mobile game. It's not even in a deckbuilder genre. It's closest analogy is an extremely watered-down hearthstone-alike, which given its origin, is unsurprising.

Spire-likes and autobattlers are the natural evolution of digital deckbuilder, and there's at least a dozen interesting variants of the former and a lot of charred remains littered around the HSBG/TFT throne of the latter.

In terms of traditional deckbuilders, there's been an infinite number of lazy licensed products in the last few years; I can't remember the last even remotely interesting one came out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Megazver posted:

The best recent deckbuilder is Marvel Snap, if any of you haven't tried it check it out, it's an extremely clever design.

I thought you constructed your deck outside of the match itself in Snap? A deckbuilding game has you constructing the deck during the game itself; if you have pre-game construction then it's deck construction.

Yeah, it's very silly

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh, yes, my bad. You are absolutely correct.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azran posted:

I thought you constructed your deck outside of the match itself in Snap? A deckbuilding game has you constructing the deck during the game itself; if you have pre-game construction then it's deck construction.

Yeah that is true, though since it's digital lots of cards and locations have effects that do affect your deck by adding cards etc. But it's still deck construction rather than Dominion-style deckbuilding. I'm still a bit surprised that a decade after Dominion we're still having a little trouble with those terms, but it just shows that more people should play board games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/leylinepress/status/1656412595698409475?t=VGgWwy-Af90fH-DlqEA7iQ&s=19

Warning: lots of grog in the replies (though some others are supportive)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Unsurprisingly, the grogs have bought themselves a lot of blue checkmarks.

Lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling virtue signaling SHUT THE gently caress UP

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I admit I do find the idea of removing their credits to be somewhat distasteful. Not only because I think even shitheads deserve labor rights but also because it feels like burying responsibility. You hired and paid them for their work; you don’t make amends for that by hiding it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They are real old grogs if they are still saying “virtue signaling” instead of “woke”. That’s the old timey way of snarling at people they think are a threat to their treats.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bar Crow posted:

They are real old grogs if they are still saying “virtue signaling” instead of “woke”. That’s the old timey way of snarling at people they think are a threat to their treats.
Nah. Real old grogs would throw around accusations of "white knighting".

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FMguru posted:

Nah. Real old grogs would throw around accusations of "white knighting".

Real old grogs would use terms like "bleeding heart liberal."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/leylinepress/status/1656412595698409475?t=VGgWwy-Af90fH-DlqEA7iQ&s=19

Warning: lots of grog in the replies (though some others are supportive)

This is by far my favorite tweet though, because I cannot tell if this person is serious or not:

https://twitter.com/CGApologist/status/1656672397972615170

quote:

see, but dude ate nazi bread. like the nazis were occupying his village, and he accepted nazi bread in exchange for fixing the bridge so nazi tanks could cross it.
Now that the Soviet army is back in his village, he deserves zero bread & should starve.
(not a perfect analogy)

Cessna posted:

Real old grogs would use terms like "bleeding heart liberal."

REAL old Grogs would use terms like "Vive l’Empereur!"

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 11, 2023

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

admanb posted:

I admit I do find the idea of removing their credits to be somewhat distasteful. Not only because I think even shitheads deserve labor rights but also because it feels like burying responsibility. You hired and paid them for their work; you don’t make amends for that by hiding it.

Leaving the name on means every other name on the book has tainted associations they have to deal with, though. I think the company is trying to do right by their other freelancers, even if it means they're gonna take some hits for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does it? Are they going to lose work because someone goes through their credits and notices that they freelanced on a book where another freelancer was a shithead? That just seems unlikely to me. Is everyone credited alongside e.g. Erik Mona getting flak for it?

(I don't think they should remove credits, since he did substantial work--like, it's not the same situation as removing Swami Nisarg from an "additional consulting" credit. But I don't have very strong feelings about it either way.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 11, 2023