Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn...jobs-2023-5?amp

They've just out and said what I had inferred from their behavior.

The last dance is here, and the whole reason they did so much stupid poo poo on AI, particularly apocalyptic levels fines in copyright abuse is because they know the party is winding down and need the one weird trick to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Doesn't matter how little meat there actually is in current AI. kids love it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

I strongly disagree. Reddit is the only ‘good’ (for lack of a better term) public information megasite. which is damning and faint praise at the same time. like I said, when it immolates, so goes along with it 95% of search engines utility of adding +Reddit Boolean operator to actually at least maybe real information

this is true, the only place to find legit fleshlight reviews anymore

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

it's a dark future where my internet searches are all appended with "reddit" and i have to sort through epic guys posting about "the wife" to find information

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it's fun to see how many state prisons in florida are surrounded by farms

i should read A Scanner Darkly.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

How new emote just dropped: :twitter:

nice

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I bet starting next week we are gonna start seeing way more articles in the media like "what exactly would happen during a default?" and "here's what to know about a US default" as our betters start preparing the zeitgeist for it to happen

they're already trotting out the SENIORS WON'T GET THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY & THE VA WILL TURN AWAY VETS IN NEED OF MEDICAL CARE scares as they did in prior iterations in 2011, 2012 & 2013.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Dolash posted:

They'll float the idea of a default and all the damage it'll do to help the public accept when the Democrats are "forced" to cut any and all spending they did in the last two years that might've accidentally helped anyone, plus a little extra, because they're just so gosh darn responsible and if you don't like it then remember to VOTE in 2024!

The only negotiation is how many layers they need to obscure what they're doing, like agreeing to a temporary debt-ceiling raise to bring the deadline up to the budget and then do the negotiated cuts there so they can present "refusing to negotiate over the debt ceiling" as a win. I don't even think they'll take no for an answer this time, like when the Freedom Caucus disrupted Obama's grand bargain.

:hai:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if Biden cave on the debt likhit what is the point of the budget

he can’t cave

I mean I’m giving him free advice here !

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
He'll just have to get creative. Can't run the military without dollars, so invoke the Defense Production Act to produce more dollars.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Called it before & I'm calling it again: biden & dems will agree to a new austerity commission that makes recs to congress & can't be amended before voting.

70 senators voted for such a commission a couple years ago.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Their grocery delivery service has been changing along these lines for years.

When it debuted you could get free 2 hour delivery on orders over $35. It was called "Prime Now" and you could get almost anything from monitors to paper towels to clothes or cleaning supplies. I managed to break a monitor and replace it with a weekly grocery order in less than 90 minutes. Extremely convenient.

Last year they eliminated Prime Now and went to Amazon Fresh which is a more expensive limited selection and mostly grocery based 2 hour delivery that had $5 delivery costs and longer waits.

I just checked and fresh delivery is $10. If you spend $50 it becomes $7. At $100 it becomes $4. Only at $150 does it qualify for free delivery. Also the prices are now worse than grocery stores with zero deals so there is no reason to pay $9.50 for a 12 pack of soda when most stores have them buy 1 get 1 free at that price.

Getting even worse than that is probably a sign of significant issues on Amazon's part after they've already made the service so lovely there isn't incentive to even use it.

Amazon Fresh is not new. I was using it back when it first started in 2007 when there was no order minimum, they were competitive with grocery stores, they covered any sales tax for taxable poo poo, they carried a bunch of stuff you couldn't get elsewhere, and delivery (in a big, reusable plastic tub that they picked back up later) was free with scheduled one-hour windows. 2007 Amazon Fresh was great, but it was obvious it wasn't going to last because it was so much better than grocery stores.

And, well, it didn't last. It's basically gotten steadily shittier for the last 16 years (like pretty much everything Amazon-related) as they've increased prices and decreased utility.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Called it before & I'm calling it again: biden & dems will agree to a new austerity commission that makes recs to congress & can't be amended before voting.

yup

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kreeblah posted:

Amazon Fresh is not new. I was using it back when it first started in 2007 when there was no order minimum, they were competitive with grocery stores, they covered any sales tax for taxable poo poo, they carried a bunch of stuff you couldn't get elsewhere, and delivery (in a big, reusable plastic tub that they picked back up later) was free with scheduled one-hour windows. 2007 Amazon Fresh was great, but it was obvious it wasn't going to last because it was so much better than grocery stores.

And, well, it didn't last. It's basically gotten steadily shittier for the last 16 years (like pretty much everything Amazon-related) as they've increased prices and decreased utility.

In 2007 it was an absolute loving loss for the company. It was a pet project for the execs in seattle to get direct delivery to their houses. The nice thing though is that if you were an employee at that time they would just let you pick up bags of groceries from the lobby of all the buildings in downtown.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no chance of a "meet cute" with delivery grocery so i shant partake. ableist? sure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the pichai 60 minutes interview is hilarious because they never ask him "what if society doesn't want this poo poo" lol

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

Social Media is like the absolute best textbook for Lacanianism. it fits so loving well it's almost painful.

if anyone needs a primer on lacan, these 2 about the Imaginary and the Real are short, accessible, and digestible. it makes social media make so much more sense, coupled with an marx perspective on capitalism.

if you like lacan, and Marx, and Marx with your Lacan and Lacan with your Marx - I'm gonna havta recommend 'The Capitalist Unconscious', by Samo Tomsic.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

if you don’t like it, you should have voted harder when you were younger!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1655999463394091011?t=jH3d4j6luJ9L9v-y6cQ9sg&s=19

Not that everyone here didn't call it sooner but still very lols

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm just a little surprised they weren't leveraging some gig platform like Amazon's mechanical turk.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Tasks like labeling and verification are harder than they seem if you want usable results, so my guess is they couldn't get what they needed that way. All the big tech companies that have "AI" driving their products have armies of these contractors making minimum wage or a little better doing amazingly tedious but not-quite-unskilled labor. There are whole companies out there providing these services to Google, Microsoft, etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

No my promised AI of the future!

(Crosses legs protectively)

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Smythe posted:

no chance of a "meet cute" with delivery grocery so i shant partake. ableist? sure.

no chance of a "meet cute" with you partaking in anything

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Osv18 posted:

if you like lacan, and Marx, and Marx with your Lacan and Lacan with your Marx - I'm gonna havta recommend 'The Capitalist Unconscious', by Samo Tomsic.

interesting, ok I put it on my kindle. ty

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Tasks like labeling and verification are harder than they seem if you want usable results, so my guess is they couldn't get what they needed that way. All the big tech companies that have "AI" driving their products have armies of these contractors making minimum wage or a little better doing amazingly tedious but not-quite-unskilled labor. There are whole companies out there providing these services to Google, Microsoft, etc.

AI data sifting is the new call center

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

FlapYoJacks posted:

How new emote just dropped: :twitter:

i get it!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Get sailing and fishing lessons. During a collapse get to a marina and steal a boat. Not joking.

Cool now I'm dying on a boat rather than on land

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Get sailing and fishing lessons. During a collapse get to a marina and steal a boat. Not joking.

You'll just die of mercury poisoning instead of being eaten by cannibals. I guess that's still better.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, nah. Building a broadly functional thing with massively exploited labor from the global south is not the Theranos thing. Kind of the opposite.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Lmao, nah. Building a broadly functional thing with massively exploited labor from the global south is not the Theranos thing. Kind of the opposite.

I would question that the "artificial intelligence" is "broadly functional" if it has to be propped up with "massively exploited labor from the global south"

like, when Theranos was getting prodded for blood test results, they'd just use commercially-available blood testing machines to do it - it didn't work because they were feeding microfluidic amounts of blood test into a machine that expected a normal draw, but as long as the machine spat out a non-failed result, that was what the patient got, and they were made to believe it was valid

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would question that the "artificial intelligence" is "broadly functional" if it has to be propped up with "massively exploited labor from the global south"

like, when Theranos was getting prodded for blood test results, they'd just use commercially-available blood testing machines to do it - it didn't work because they were feeding microfluidic amounts of blood test into a machine that expected a normal draw, but as long as the machine spat out a non-failed result, that was what the patient got, and they were made to believe it was valid

It's not propped up. The training was done using exploited labor in the global south, I don't think we have any reason to believe it's doing mechanical Turk poo poo when you feed in a prompt and it puts out plausible sounding responses.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
another difference is that with GPT, the breathless hype isn't really coming from OpenAI themselves (who are pretty upfront about what it is and can do), but from lamprey-like grifters latching on to it as the next thing that can be used to extract money from VC/dumb corporate types.

but yes the dominant structures that exist for labelling in machine learning/deep learning suck poo poo; they're absolutely loving workers over from both ends

i was doing some work on a smallish machine learning model for what i thought was a fairly left-leaning organization, and we needed a few thousand labels pretty quickly (quicker than our tiny team could do). i was like "i mean there's always amazon mechanical turk but haha there's no way we'd get ethics approval for that, right?" and i just got blank stares like "huh? no we already have funding, it's fine" (we didn't end up using mechanical turk).

people just have no idea about the realities of how this poo poo is put together. they think it's either computer magicks or fake news. it's a land of contrasts i guess.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

smug jeebus posted:

You'll just die of mercury poisoning instead of being eaten by cannibals. I guess that's still better.

you can have cannibalism on a boat

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mola Yam posted:

another difference is that with GPT, the breathless hype isn't really coming from OpenAI themselves (who are pretty upfront about what it is and can do)

I would disagree after that bullshite agi paper.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ooops all labor

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that's going to happen in a lot of places, then the West too, last.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i knew the IMF was involved from the headline alone

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry citizen, your insect pellet and synthetic plant burger meat ration has been reduced to 500 calories a day until workforce productivity metrics improve.

DING GoogleAppleHPBlackrock personal assistant alert:

Rent will be deducted for your eco-habi-pod module in 72 hours. Please make sure your balance is sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You will own nothing and you will be happy. I consider this the original masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEUzKTt7j0