Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dogen posted:

There’s a perk which increases combat xp gain, highly recommend (though I’m doing all the tears, the traversal ones are cool when you get your muscle memory down)

I got that perk early and never took it off. I just beat the game and got very close to filling the entire skill tree, though I still have a couple collectibles to find, still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you do enough exploring and side content you'll have more than enough points. I finished the game with a ton of unused skill points.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hey I didn't realize that Scott Lawrence was back as Vader these games. I thought that Matt Sloan had been the go-to JEJ impersonator ever since Force Unleashed. That's cool, Lawrence has been doing Vader since the 90s and I always thought he was excellent.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m fairly sure Tython was where Grogu called Luke

Yeah it showed up in Mando season 2 -- would be a cool place to flesh out more in Jedi 3 though

Finally rolled credits, really excited to see where this series goes next. IMO they should advance the timeline another five years or so -- there's a lot of story potential there with Cal not only wrestling with his own inner darkness, but also how much of the Jedi tradition is worth keeping when it comes to training Kata as his own apprentice and how to square the conflicting needs to resist the Empire but also keep Tanalorr and the Hidden Path safe.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Great game! Really improved on pretty much every aspect of Fallen Order that felt lacking or frustrating. Put in about 35 hours and luckily I didn't encounter too many technical issues playing through it on PS5 in performance mode. Ended up going through most of the game with the blaster stance once I got it, which I was pretty surprised about - it didn't seem all that exciting at first but I really liked the versatility to use that for most fights and then going to single blade when I needed to pile up some damage. Looking forward to NG+ where I'll go dual wield/crossguard

Good
- Cal felt much better to control - faster, more agile and responsive. Traversal was more fun too with the dash and grapple
- Combat was quite a bit less frustrating than in FO. I replayed that game a month or so ago and still got annoyed with most fights and parrying never felt right, but it felt more consistent this time around and usually when I got hosed up I deserved it
- Retaining all of your abilities from the first game. Thank gently caress you could double jump right from the start
- Loved all the cosmetic options for Cal. It was great that they leaned into letting you make him look as ridiculous as possible if you wanted and giving homage to some classic SW looks. I switched up his look every mission and it never got old playing dress-up with Cal
- Some really great set pieces, the highlights being the two major ones in Jedha. The end of the temple section with Merrin was totally breathtaking and then later on wrecking poo poo as Cere was great. When Vader showed up at first I wasn't feeling it but he ended up being a really (appropriately) challenging fight so I'll allow it
- Good enemy variety. Battle droids are hilarious and also satisfying to tear apart
- That Star Wars music, babyee
- The map in general was much better and useful and I liked being able to get upgrades to show you the missing collectibles
- Pyloon's Saloon - recruiting new characters to add to the saloon and the conversations you could have with them was nice

Mixed
- The story was fine - not as engaging as FO but I did like how they wove the High Republic into the game. Dagan was kind of cool and I do like when you get to fight your nemesis more than once but the final fight with him was fairly anti-climactic. Another poster mentioned this but I also thought that Dagan used his hallucination power to pose as Bode, which I think that would have been a better twist but oh well. The Bode boss fights were fun at least
- The two major planets were mostly just rocky deserts? I know Koboh had some variety but I kept expecting a new destination that would be quite different. The majority of the environments in the game were arid areas or metallic bases. Coruscant ruled though - more of that next time please!
- Rewards were definitely improved but still far too many random weapon components and paints
- As nice as the stance options were not being able to switch between all of them on the fly is kind of a headscratcher

Bad
- Creature fights still suck rear end (plus most of these critters are just minding their own business and don't need a maniac with a lightsaber slicing them up for no real reason :( )
- Gardening??
- Pretty much everyone emptying out of Pyloon's after the story is done is really a bummer. They make such a big deal out of the star destroyer being above Koboh that I wonder if it's a setup for a DLC or the sequel but man it really gives a melancholy vibe to the post-game stuff

Looking forward to the sequel to finish out Cal's story. He's not the most exciting protagonist ever but he's at least likeable and the supporting cast is great. It's actually quite impressive how fast they turned this game around considering modern game development cycles and they succesfully addressed most of the negative parts of FO. This is a team that really does seem to love Star Wars with all of the little extra story/lore tidbits they put into these games and I think they capture the swashbuckling feel of the universe quite well. If they keep going with Cal's dalliance with the dark side that could lead to some interesting story possibilities

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 10, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What are you supposed to do against the Hammer guys? When fighting them isn't a stuttering mess, I can't seem to find any way to dodge their AOE slam since radius is large enough to still hit after two evades away, and jumping.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

PageMaster posted:

What are you supposed to do against the Hammer guys? When fighting them isn't a stuttering mess, I can't seem to find any way to dodge their AOE slam since radius is large enough to still hit after two evades away, and jumping.

Jump -> air dash worked for me. Usually. It's a bigass radius

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

how is gardening a negative, you get to plant pretty flowers just for the sake of having a pretty garden

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PageMaster posted:

Dodging behind them is a pretty consistent way of avoiding their unblockables.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dodge behind them for the slam. It's the safest spot.

Parrying their 3 hit combo where they smack you with the haft and then do the two big, spinning swings seems to be a guaranteed stagger.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PageMaster posted:

I dash past them, not back or to the side. I think you can also use force push to counter it from memory but obviously way higher risk.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man at a certain point in the game enemies just become entirely unthreatening (playing on master). Also I’ve really settled into double bladed for defense and crowd control and double sabers to just go ham on small groups or single targets. I barely remember I have force powers half the time but if something annoys me I will super slam the poo poo out of it.

Also I’ve really gotten into abusing the poo poo out of confusion (especially for multiple large animal battles), which is one of the number one things that make the game easier then fallen order.

JBP posted:

I dash past them, not back or to the side. I think you can also use force push to counter it from memory but obviously way higher risk.

Dashing past is a pro strategy that works in a lot of situations

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 10, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

el oso posted:

- Pretty much everyone emptying out of Pyloon's after the story is done is really a bummer. They make such a big deal out of the star destroyer being above Koboh that I wonder if it's a setup for a DLC or the sequel but man it really gives a melancholy vibe to the post-game stuff

Dare I say the tired old saw, "This is the Empire Strikes Back of the series."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

how is gardening a negative, you get to plant pretty flowers just for the sake of having a pretty garden

I want more gardening, and this time house decoration in the next game. And also to be able to date Turgle.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
No, gardening is bad. Dating Turlgle is very very good but gardening is bad

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Give Turgle the garden. Let chaos rule

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I want Turgle to conquer a planet in the name of the Almighty Tallest, is what I want

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To really let us know that Playtime Is Over, they should begin the next game with Turgle getting ruthlessly murked by Emperor Palpatine himself. Just have Palpatine show up and blast Turgle with force lightning, engaging Cal and setting him on a course towards revenge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

To really let us know that Playtime Is Over, they should begin the next game with Turgle getting ruthlessly murked by Emperor Palpatine himself. Just have Palpatine show up and blast Turgle with force lightning, engaging Cal and setting him on a course towards revenge.

I would actually accept this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unironically would like a reason to shout "Turgle!! NOOOOooo" at my TV.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really hope they don't kill Cal in game three. The character has earned his survival and Star Wars is ultimately a fairy tale - you are supposed to get a happy ending.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Alchenar posted:

I really hope they don't kill Cal in game three. The character has earned his survival and Star Wars is ultimately a fairy tale - you are supposed to get a happy ending.

Tell that to the rebels in Rogue One.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-A New Hope timeline is all about making everything hurt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In the final game Vader and the emperor face Cal to fight him but they realise it's impossible to win, so they promise not to start any poo poo from now on. In a fiendish trick they seal him on Tanalorr where he grows more powerful for thousands of years.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Just rolled credits. Final boss was kind of a let down after Vader

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Had a good lol at Vader, Lord of Cinder

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Final boss and Darth Vader were both cool but Rayvis was the boss fight peak of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nevermind got names mixed up

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Boss spoilers: the Vader fight itself was good but holy gently caress I could not care less about him anymore. He is so beyond overused at this point and his story is finished, just come up with some other bad guy, jesus

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sentinel Red posted:

I do wish there had been more planets though, it could have done with at least a couple more. Or maybe that’s just me being greedy having enjoyed it so much.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that there are quite a few small planets on the holomap that you never get to see. Maybe they're for DLC, unless they're just decoration to taunt us?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ephex posted:

Tell that to the rebels in Rogue One.

Nah their whole arc was a bunch of broken people choosing to throw their lives away for a chance to make the world a better place. Cal starts off broken and hiding and over two games has been accumulating a personality and reasons to live after the fall of the Jedi. They *can* be complete hacks and rip off The Last of Us but that's not really the story they've been telling.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Nah their whole arc was a bunch of broken people choosing to throw their lives away for a chance to make the world a better place. Cal starts off broken and hiding and over two games has been accumulating a personality and reasons to live after the fall of the Jedi. They *can* be complete hacks and rip off The Last of Us but that's not really the story they've been telling.

The multiple squads of soldiers and ship crews that volunteered for the mission too?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope everyone dies but Cal

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

JBP posted:

I hope everyone dies but Turgle

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kesper North posted:

I want Turgle to conquer a planet in the name of the Almighty Tallest, is what I want

So long as he gets a quirky droid sidekick

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

I hope everyone dies, especially Turgle

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://imgur.com/a/0JImHpa

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Finished the bounty questline -- OOC I get why Fett would be ok with letting Cal go, I don't think narratively there's a way for them to fight and satisfyingly have both of them make it out alive.

But Cal's gotta be the number one or two most wanted being in the entire galaxy! Fett could basically set his own price and make out like a king even if he was couldn't take him warm.

I'd bet Cal would kick his rear end like nobody's rear end has been kicked before though -- at this point he's cut through two inquisitors, a couple rogue Dark Jedi, an entire legion of stormtroopers and a couple dozen other bounty hunters at least, there's just no loving chance Fett doesn't get completely dog-walked.

Would still be a fun boss fight though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cal and Merrin should retire to the hidden planet and make lots of super Force babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
drat that reyvis fight was a bit underwhelming

i was really expecting it to go for three or four phases but instead he just kind of gave up after two

disappointing!