Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

It... it's the premier league. It's sort of big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

lmao

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-prize-money-how-27602760

quote:

The most lucrative league in the world is back and all 20 clubs are guaranteed to earn huge windfalls before a ball is even kicked.

For the eventual Premier League champions a prize pot of more than £160m is on offer but even the relegated teams will bank north of £100m.

The league has not made prize money public since halfway through the previous decade but the breakdown is known and that means estimates can easily be calculated.

In 2022/23 the broadcast pot will grow again from about £2.5bn last season, meaning an increase on last season’s figures.

All 20 clubs receive an equal base payment from TV rights, which was worth about £84m last season, with clubs then banking additional amounts depending on how often they are selected for domestic TV.

quote:

2021/22 Prize money

1 Manchester City £161.3m,
2 Liverpool £159.8m,
3 Tottenham £152.1m,
4 Chelsea £151.7m,
5 Arsenal £151.6m,
6 Man United £150.2m,
7 West Ham £142.1m,
8 Leicester £134m,
9 Newcastle £131.5m,
10 Brighton £130.6m,
11 Wolves £128.2m,
12 Crystal Palace £124.3m,
13 Aston Villa £123.3m,
14 Brentford £121m,
15 Everton £120.4m,
16 Leeds £116.1m,
17 Southampton £113.3m,
18 Burnley £106.1m,
19 Watford £104.6m,
20 Norwich £100.3m.
This doesn't include ticket sales, merchandise, sponsorships or prize money available from other competitions (like the FA Cup).

Manchester United (which is publicly traded) announced revenues of $207 million in just Q1 2023.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sheri posted:

Soccer is a big sport in England and Europe.
And I think the premier league is the one with the most money in it in all of Europe iirc. I think there are over 220 teams in England in all their league tiers.

"Manchester City's revenue in the 2021/22 season amounted to 731 million euros, representing an increase of 13 percent on the previous year. The club's total revenue was more than any other football club worldwide"

And while that's obviously the most, that's just the revenue one team in one of the leagues in England.

Man City's revenue is higher than any MLB or NBA team.

The top 5 highest earning teams among all MLB, NBA and premier league teams would only include the Golden State Warriors.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair I think it’s totally possible the character is paid only a modest salary given that he literally has no experience and also the club doesn’t seem like it’s run very professionally. The wealth question is probably the least of this show’s problems right now.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Vegetable posted:

To be fair I think it’s totally possible the character is paid only a modest salary given that he literally has no experience and also the club doesn’t seem like it’s run very professionally. The wealth question is probably the least of this show’s problems right now.

Rupert does seem like someone who would make an incredibly lowball offer and convince Nate its amazing (also Nate at the time was probably more into it for the fame/revenge than the money). That said, still probably an amount to buy out his lease and move somewhere upscale.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sheri posted:

Nate's apartment doesn't bother me. He was probably on a lease so he's just riding out his lease. I wouldn't spring for a giant or fancy place either if I didn't know how my job was going to go and could be fired on a whim.

Even beyond like job security, buying a house (and then like, furnishing it, moving all your poo poo, etc) is a big deal and takes up your time. Nate is a bachelor who just got this insane job, he might be more comfortable staying in his current place while adjusting to the added workload and pressure, then once he settles in a bit more he can make those decisions, probably in the offseason.

Related, I found out in another thread awhile back that MTV Cribs was largely faked for a similar reason: a lot of the people who appeared there were young artists who had hit it big relatively recently and were doing a ton of touring and traveling, they didn't necessarily have the time or need to get a fuckoff huge mansion. A ton of the houses shown were pre-selected and rented out to the show to give the appearance of a life of luxury for these young stars. Redman famously outed them by showing off his one bedroom Staten Island house where he was letting his cousin sleep on the floor (and this was after he had a certified platinum album):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKT9_1KXQ

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

The top 5 highest earning teams among all MLB, NBA and premier league teams would only include the Golden State Warriors.

I am not an expert in this but earning teams is probably not the best way to look at how popular a league is? Like all North American pro-sports league pool a lot of their money together? Value of the team is probably a better metric?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

There is public data about how much premiere league managers make but Ted and Nate are loaded.

Also Nate doesn't seem like the kind of character who gives a poo poo about his apartment he wants power and acts out of spite not for his own money. I can't believe they're trying to redeem him just let a character be a piece of poo poo. His spitting thing is so offputting - I can't get past it to like his character ever again.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, like 90% of the characters (including all the “main” ones) are easily multi-millionaires.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Before the one player was shown to be gay, his character before that was basically "has a very expensive car he suck at driving with"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrantWD posted:

Okay, and I ask this in full ignorance: where does the money come from? Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much. Is it just from like, television syndication and stuff like that for the league itself? Does the Premier League get much play outside of Britain?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do people not call cigarettes fags anymore in the UK?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not sure what to even say about this episode.

I felt that the Colin plot was leading up to something like this for a while, but I didn't expect it to take up an entire episode, or to feel so weirdly contrived

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Okay, and I ask this in full ignorance: where does the money come from? Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much. Is it just from like, television syndication and stuff like that for the league itself? Does the Premier League get much play outside of Britain?

lol

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, great. If it's so LOL-worthy, just answer the damned question. I want to know how the finances of it work too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s global TV money, sponsorship money and shirt sales

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How does it get bigger than American sports teams in far more populous areas with more teams competing for that same space, though? That's what really raises my eyebrow. Did I misunderstand that part?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I'm going to assume you are asking this in good faith and as such will try to answer in good faith. But if it is a bit...well, then, you got me I guess.

The Premier League - and most European soccer leagues - is structured very differently from the way American leagues are. There's no salary cap, no "draft", no redistribution of revenue the way the NFL, MLB, et al handle it. Teams in the NFL are francises of the NFL, essentially subsidiaries under a larger corporate infrastructure. But no such infrastructure exists in the EPL. Every team is its own individual entity, and all revenue from ticket sales, tv rights, buying and selling players, and whatever else, is revenue for that team.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the nitty-gritty of team ownership, which is honestly such a big can of worms that it's near impossible to go into it in a single post. But the TL:DR version is that a lot of these teams have literally billions of dollars being pumped into them, sometimes even by state governments (Newcastle, for example, is quite literally owned by the Saudi government).

As for the last sentence in your post...I mean, come on. Does it get much play outside of Britain? Buddy, it's the most televised sports league in the world.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

How does it get bigger than American sports teams in far more populous areas with more teams competing for that same space, though? That's what really raises my eyebrow. Did I misunderstand that part?
No one outside the US watches American football. Football is more popular than basketball around the world. I don’t understand what you’re confused about.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

As for the last sentence in your post...I mean, come on. Does it get much play outside of Britain? Buddy, it's the most televised sports league in the world.

Really dude? Try to put a little more thought into this next time. Not everyone is a football nut that just knows this stuff. I was honestly curious about the answer as well.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Honestly, even that is news to me haha. I don't think you understand how little the average American knows about how football works around the globe. Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Phenotype posted:

Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

I’m American so I’m likely wrong but teams can get promoted and relegated in soccer, where in American sports, teams don’t really face similar levels of consequence for sucking. In fact in some cases it’s advantageous to tank the last bit of a season to ensure a better draft position next year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why do people listen to Coldplay when they have rock bands from their own city and country?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Honestly, even that is news to me haha. I don't think you understand how little the average American knows about how football works around the globe. Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

Hah, I am American, for what it’s worth, but I suppose it’s a fair point. I’ve been watching this silly sport and league for 15 years at this point, so perhaps I’ve forgotten what it’s like to be truly ignorant of it.

To answer your question, though: yes, most people have their own local teams to care about (hell, even America has the MLS). But even so, if you’re a fan of the sport - or any sport, really - you want to watch the best of the best, and the best of the best for soccer play in Europe. Not exclusively in England, mind you, though a lot of them do. And given soccer is the most popular sport globally, it means the EPL (among other European leagues) has a potential global reach far beyond what the NFL does, since American football really isn’t widely played or watched outside of American and, I guess, Canada.

The NBA is probably the closest American equivalent to the EPL, in that basketball is a hugely popular sport globally and attracts the best of the best talent from around the globe.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 10, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vegetable posted:

Why do people listen to Coldplay when they have rock bands from their own city and country?

Unironically good question. Also the option of listening to silence too, and yet they still do it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I am utterly flabbergasted that an episode that focused on a few characters and how their struggles were affecting the soccer match they were competing in was so much better than most of the rest of the season!

Beginning to wonder if this is a Scrubs Season 8 situation, where there was an A-team and B-team of writers and we started to notice that the second episode every night was wildly better than the first.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i cant believe someone wouldnt know anything about soccer or the EPL.

and Ted hate tea, too???

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"That's what the lady on the American Office says" got a chuckle out if me.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Tweak posted:

i cant believe someone wouldnt know anything about soccer or the EPL.

We're all Ted Lasso now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much.

Most of this has been comprehensively answered already but it's worth noting that supporting a club in the UK isn't entirely down to geography. While plenty of people support their local club (so North London is divided up between Tottenham and Arsenal, Manchester between City and United etc), many, many more people support clubs for other reasons. Usually it's inherited from family, or because they just find them the most entertaining to watch. Or because they're winning.

The UK is small enough that you could feasibly support just about any major team and travel to see their home matches every fortnight if you really wanted to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still had some after-school special vibes but overall a much stronger episode than last week

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Probably a better comparison than money and the like, but one you can still put into numbers, is that that stadium they keep showing where West Ham plays and Nate is coaching has slightly more seating capacity than Soldier Field in Chicago.

The Bears have, admittedly, the smallest stadium in the NFL, but it is still on that scale.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

In Australia, Melbourne has a population of 5 million people and there are 9 Melbourne based teams in the AFL which is half the entire league and it's still the fourth highest attended sports league in the entire world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phenotype posted:

tv money, same as the nfl

there are like 300000 people who live in cincinatti or kansas city. where does their nfl money come from? the premier league is like the most popular sports league in the world.

i don't mean this from a doxxing point of view but where do you live that the premier league has 0 presence?

lmao at jamie's face trying to figure out where ted is going with his halftime speech

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 10, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it would probably be a fair guess to say that for well over half of Americans, the first time they've ever heard the term "Premier League" in their lives will have been on Ted Lasso.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

I am utterly flabbergasted that an episode that focused on a few characters and how their struggles were affecting the soccer match they were competing in was so much better than most of the rest of the season!

Beginning to wonder if this is a Scrubs Season 8 situation, where there was an A-team and B-team of writers and we started to notice that the second episode every night was wildly better than the first.

Agreed, I thought this episode was quite good, especially after the mess that was last week’s.

Wee Bairns posted:

"That's what the lady on the American Office says" got a chuckle out if me.

Lol I didn’t get this at the time but seeing it in writing had me go, “Ahhhhhh okay.”

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

hexwren posted:

Probably a better comparison than money and the like, but one you can still put into numbers, is that that stadium they keep showing where West Ham plays and Nate is coaching has slightly more seating capacity than Soldier Field in Chicago.

The Bears have, admittedly, the smallest stadium in the NFL, but it is still on that scale.

Another “put into numbers” way of looking at it is social media presence. The most followed NFL team on Twitter is the Patriots, with 4.6 mil. The most followed team in England is Manchester United, with 35 mil. Even West Ham United (who are a big team, though perhaps not the title-chasing behemoth they are presented as in Ted) has a Twitter following of 2.6 mil, which is still more than most NFL teams.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, football games are hard to get to. There are 17 games per season, only half of those at home. There are 38 premier league games per season, and then there are also the other league teams who are also likely within easy traveling range. In most US cities, if you don't actually have an NFL team in the city, you're looking at a pretty long travel time to see the games. Stadiums are relatively equivalent in size. It's a lot easier to buy tickets to a game or two of the premier league just because there are so many more of them. It's genuinely way easier to get into watching in-person football than it is the NFL, and their fan bases are comparatively larger. Also, imo, American football is a game practically designed for watching from home on TV compared to football.

The similar league comparison you are looking for might be to think of the premier league as like the NFL if American football was the most popular sport in the world and every other league in the pipeline was like the US college football experience, which has more similar levels of accessibility.

Another “put into numbers” way of looking at it is social media presence. The most followed NFL team on Twitter is the Patriots, with 4.6 mil. The most followed team in England is Manchester United, with 35 mil. Even West Ham United (who are a big team, though perhaps not the title-chasing behemoth they are presented as in Ted) has a Twitter following of 2.6 mil, which is still more than most NFL teams.
I always wonder what the fans and management of West Ham think of themselves being cast as the villains of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I grew up as a baseball kid and the 162-game season is much more what feels "natural" to me. They happen almost every day, and going to a game is a casual day out for city dwellers. One loss isn't so bad, a 10-game losing streak is where you start getting antsy. Football always seemed ludicrous to me: 16 games? That's it? And like the whole world comes screeching to a halt when it's time for a game