Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

LMAO at the idea of 60-80 year old Boomers finding anything on Twitter, and double LOL at the idea of Tucker on Twitter having even a fraction of the reach he had on the TeeVee

I know that the vast majority of the replies will be alt right bullshit, and anything that isn't will probably be moderated away very quickly, but it brings me great pleasure that at least some boomers are going to find him on twitter and end up seeing the goatman or worse when they stumble into the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

Does the felony apply to those that hired them knowingly?

(don't @ me it's a rhetorical question)

No just the worker. Employers get escalating fines, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1656244160620527621?t=9lhhJ4XlSdco0nd4puZCig&s=19

Is it really an ambush if their client is wholly incapable of not spewing whatever comes out of his mouth?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

No just the worker. Employers get escalating fines, though.

How much do we want to bet that the fines do not offset the cost savings of hiring them in the first place?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Was this the thread where we also talked about how in Florida they'll deny workers comp to undocumented workers injured on the job on the grounds that signing up with falsified ID is fraud on the workman's comp system?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Wire fraud, unemployment fraud, money laundering, and lying to Congress:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1656288177949233160?t=Rh4iwCF3vXJi-9W_tUZfFA&s=19

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

Wire fraud, unemployment fraud, money laundering, and lying to Congress:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1656288177949233160?t=Rh4iwCF3vXJi-9W_tUZfFA&s=19

how the gently caress is it ONLY thirteen though? this the latino crime goblin! and im not even sure about the latino part neither!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheWeedNumber posted:

how the gently caress is it ONLY thirteen though? this the latino crime goblin! and im not even sure about the latino part neither!

This is really no way to treat a two-time Grammy award winner and former President of the United States

quote:

seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, one count of theft of public funds, and two counts of making materially false statements to the House of Representatives.

Feds say Santos received $24k in covid unemployment payments in 2020 even though he had a job.

As charged in the indictment, the defendant’s alleged behavior continued during his second run for Congress when he pocketed campaign contributions and used that money to pay down personal debts and buy designer clothing.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/congressman-george-santos-charged-fraud-money-laundering-theft-public-funds-and-false

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
When I saw the indictment headlines I had actually forgotten who George Santos was. It's been a helluva year.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheWeedNumber posted:

He's actually just a bunch of felonies in a trench coat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/wesleylowery/status/1656294919793721344?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
How long before McCarthy claims it's a homophobic witch hunt?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

When I saw the indictment headlines I had actually forgotten who George Santos was. It's been a helluva year.

Yeah, that happens to most Heisman trophy winners that don't make it in the pros.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How long before McCarthy claims it's a homophobic witch hunt?

Nah, McCarthy has basically underbussed Santos with never-ending no comments and there are handfuls of GOP Reps openly saying he should resign already. He's only still in Congress because McCarthy wouldn't get that vote back, or not until the next special election. On conviction, the co-founder of Facebook will be gone.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

He got dinged for plagiarizing parts of Roots, too. :negative:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1656285311616405506?t=_f0XrryhYnXot7_0I4jZGQ&s=19

Best healthcare system in the world, baby

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

He got dinged for plagiarizing parts of Roots, too. :negative:
And also making poo poo up. A decent podcast on Haley and Roots: https://slate.com/podcasts/one-year/s1/1977/e6/alex-haleys-roots

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Best healthcare system in the world, baby

It was basically impossible to figure out if my denervation surgery last year was going to be covered or not. Hyper-rare surgery with miscellaneous billing codes, multiple back/forths in MyChart between the hospital and the insurance company, and none of it processing quickly. This state drops the loving hammer on insurers, so mine knew better than to contest anything, but lol that they have to keep a file on it with full voice records and everything if they want to gently caress around.

I still remember the days of pre-ACA "pre-existing condition, lol you're hosed" decisions and the insurers would absolutely love to go back to that system if they got the chance.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Don't forget the million-dollar lifetime cap! This is essential in ensuring unexpected developments do not lock in a loss for shareholders.

That sounds like a lot but if you or someone you love wins the rare chronic or congential condition lottery, that poo poo gets used real fast

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A fun bit of comedy here is that there's an immigration bill pending in the House along these lines. There have been lots of squabbles in the GOP over how tight the language should be on e-verify (because of this stuff), if cartels should be labelled as terrorist organizations (oopsie now we just strengthened asylum claims), and what else should be in the bill.

The vote was going to be today. Then Santos got arrested and McCarthy delayed the vote as he might not have the votes anymore :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

A fun bit of comedy here is that there's an immigration bill pending in the House along these lines. There have been lots of squabbles in the GOP over how tight the language should be on e-verify (because of this stuff), if cartels should be labelled as terrorist organizations (oopsie now we just strengthened asylum claims), and what else should be in the bill.

The vote was going to be today. Then Santos got arrested and McCarthy delayed the vote as he might not have the votes anymore :v:
Like all dumb loving things in this world that are hamstrung by even dumber fascist fuckheads in charge, the idea of E-verify is awesome and it should be used to bust people's balls HARDCORE but it should be owners and employers not the workers getting hosed with a rusty cactus. We *could* make things better by using the system against people other than workers but welp nope gotta make everything lovely for everyone everywhere.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Edit: wrong thread.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 10, 2023

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

I don't see the issue with this E verify "problem".

All of those AMERICAN CITIZENS that had their jobs STOLEN by those pesky ILLEGALS are now able to find a great paying job and work.

Wasn't that the plan?!?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ASAPI posted:

I don't see the issue with this E verify "problem".

All of those AMERICAN CITIZENS that had their jobs STOLEN by those pesky ILLEGALS are now able to find a great paying job and work.

Wasn't that the plan?!?

I support making anyone who voted for Trump this last go round pull 12 hour shifts in the cranberry bogs for under minimum wage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kazinsal posted:

I support making anyone who voted for Trump this last go round pull 12 hour shifts in the cranberry bogs for under minimum wage.

If it was good enough work for my tio Pedro it's good enough for those pendejos.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For a good long while there was a tacit agreement between state governments and illegal immigrants - the state governments don't heavily push e-verify and in exchange, the migrant workers / farm owners don't cover the statehouse steps in rotten produce that couldn't be picked. That's starting to break down because Republican primary voters won't accept the racism dial pegged at 10. Gerrymandered state districts make it so that politicians only lose when some other dude claims he can make the dial go to 17 and the previous guy's promise of 13 by the next election just won't do.

Solution's the same as it's been forever - some type of permanent status for those here, border clampdown for those that aren't, and a dramatically revamped immigration process. But Republicans have essentially turned on *legal* immigration once Donnie gave them their 10.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Isn't border clampdown still a red herring because the majority of undocumented immigration is things like overstaying visas and not sneaking through the desert?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soylent Pudding posted:

Isn't border clampdown still a red herring because the majority of undocumented immigration is things like overstaying visas and not sneaking through the desert?

Of course! That entire side is a fish factory. But a big, beautiful wall is probably the cost of getting their votes and fixing the stuff actually wrong. They just want their big, beautiful wall without any of the other stuff, which is why the mid-Obama immigration filibuster was the last decent shot at fixing things.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soylent Pudding posted:

Most people emigrate via plane, legally or not; flying is just how most travel is done these days.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've heard that also (and believe the statement).

I would like to see what kinds of jobs those overstayed visa people fill. It seems to me (and I admit I don't have data to back this up) that the construction/agriculture jobs are highly seasonal, which would imply that those immigrants migrate back and forth across the border depending on time of year/job.

For whatever reason, even though we know we need these people, we make it difficult to get here and do this work. It would be cheaper for everyone if we streamlined the process to get them in country legally, let them do their work/get paid, and then let them go back home and/or offer them a pathway to citizenship. It would protect the workers, allow us to not have fruit rotting on the vine, build our homes/store, and generate more tax revenue (possibly much more if we don't have to spend so much on the border).

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

I would like to see what kinds of jobs those overstayed visa people fill. It seems to me (and I admit I don't have data to back this up) that the construction/agriculture jobs are highly seasonal, which would imply that those immigrants migrate back and forth across the border depending on time of year/job.

For whatever reason, even though we know we need these people, we make it difficult to get here and do this work. It would be cheaper for everyone if we streamlined the process to get them in country legally, let them do their work/get paid, and then let them go back home and/or offer them a pathway to citizenship. It would protect the workers, allow us to not have fruit rotting on the vine, build our homes/store, and generate more tax revenue (possibly much more if we don't have to spend so much on the border).

Like so many things this is the obvious, humane, and empirically better solution but we can't do it because of the American voter.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also massive anti-labor efforts by the Lobbies®

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

I heard somewhere that the difficulty of crossing back was what lead to a bunch staying. I don't know the legal mechanics involved but it seems like it probably would be better if the border was actually more porous, not less

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/garygrumbach/status/1656374066960388100?s=46

Jesus, the Emperor looked healthier in Rise of Skywalker than she does here now.

Also, she missed another vote today.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There is something deeply wrong with people who put themselves through this in their elderly years. Find a loving hobby and retire already.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

ASAPI posted:

Those that overstay generally are domestic help / cleaners or kitchen staff / dishwashers.

Otherwise they move to areas with long growing seasons like Florida where a crop can have two cycles in a year.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tiny Timbs posted:

There is something deeply wrong with people who put themselves through this in their elderly years. Find a loving hobby and retire already.

The Senate is her hobby.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Her entire life has been centered around the jealous accumulation of power. It's foolish to expect her to change at her advanced age.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
To quote Terry Pratchett, she looks like she's not just on death's door, she's well inside the foyer, taking off her coat and commenting on the decor.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

I heard somewhere that the difficulty of crossing back was what lead to a bunch staying. I don't know the legal mechanics involved but it seems like it probably would be better if the border was actually more porous, not less

...PBS has recently aired La Frontera, an interesting series hosted by Pati Jinich. The amazingly functional trans-border communities that exist on the US/Mexico border from San Diego to Brownsville are a model for what many US urban areas will inevitably become...richly multi-cultural economies that thrive in their diversity. Tens of thousands of people commute DAILY across the border, and stunning amounts of truck commerce goes back and forth as well. Even cattle flow almost freely across the border. Immigration reform is unarguably needed, but The Wall is not only stupid...it's just absurdly loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Two minutes into this and :smugdon: is immediately off the rails with all the greatest hits.

Aaron Rupar is suffering through it if you don't want to:
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656441717665538051