Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Had a moment of "is Ed Davey one of the centrist Labour no-names?" for a second. Good brand recognition for the leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Another Orange Book psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Had a moment of "is Ed Davey one of the centrist Labour no-names?" for a second. Good brand recognition for the leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Haha, I had the exact same thing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1656279679878266880

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

"I love nature but" is to environmentalism like "I love women :pervert:" is to feminism.
:hmmyes:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.thenational.scot/news/23512712.nazi-flag-display-buckie-coronation-event-sparks-apology/

quote:

The swastika flag was draped over a table which displayed a German army helmet and other memorabilia at events at Buckie Fishermen's Hall over the weekend.

The hall hosted a “blast from the past” event on the day of the King’s coronation – May 6, followed by a party on Monday May 8.

It's a literal red flag, bigger than anything else in the display including any of the union jacks. I mean, maybe just some guy who is just super into memorabilia and isn't actually a Nazi but come on, how would someone not think about how it looks and raise a polite suggestion when he was laying out the flag?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Celebrating the King's great uncle and Harry's parties.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23512712.nazi-flag-display-buckie-coronation-event-sparks-apology/

It's a literal red flag, bigger than anything else in the display including any of the union jacks. I mean, maybe just some guy who is just super into memorabilia and isn't actually a Nazi but come on, how would someone not think about how it looks and raise a polite suggestion when he was laying out the flag?

I'm a moron so out of curiosity went through the old BNP membership leaks & I can't find any Squires in Moray on there. But then you don't have to be a BNP member to be a nazi

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Siri -show me a superb example of unconscious racism in the media

https://twitter.com/i_ammukhtar/status/1656258746157260802?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

I can't remember if I posted it here but I was in a lift with Ed Davey last week and didn't realise who he was until I saw his face on the news several hours later.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I can't remember if I posted it here but I was in a lift with Ed Davey last week and didn't realise who he was until I saw his face on the news several hours later.

It's not face blindness either; I'd see him and be like "huh, looks like a fatter Ed Balls" and think nothing more of it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Whenever I hear the name its hugh bonneville's face that comes to mind.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

There's always more and it's always worse with Taki the Nazi.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wow, a nazi, charged with sex crimes? That's a first.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Turns out it is a Spectator sport.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

jesus christ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
just zero awareness of what an ever more massive oval office she's making of herself as each second passes

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

crispix posted:

jesus christ

My thoughts exactly. Particularly over the constant train of "oh we'd better gloss over this".

You know what might have been an idea? Inform yourself before loving recording.

Edit: Actually have a bit more of a rant. I take issue with the term "unconscious" racism, which I don't think is fair. I read that as accidental or unintentional, which are distinct from reckless. She didn't give a poo poo.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 10, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This should be part of mandatory diversity watching for all public roles, as well as teachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
extremely bleak lol at Labour:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1655983044157661184?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1656198335919734785?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

This should be part of mandatory diversity watching for all public roles, as well as teachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

True, but don't be too hard on those making an effort (not the woman in the earlier video who was enjoying herself messing it up).

There are sounds in foreign languages which the British ear - especially an older one - cannot hear the difference, and vice versa. EG some foreigners can't hear the difference between say "beach" and "bitch". And stress patterns can make a huge difference - just ask the 'crazy foreigner' (ie me) getting pitying looks waiting hours for a bus in the boiling midday heat to go to the main Ramses train station, wondering where this Zees place all the buses seemed to be going was, but nothing to Ramses. (We say RAMzeez, they say rmZEEs).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've got an Irish name and people get it wrong probably 80% of the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got an Irish name and people get it wrong probably 80% of the time.

Oh don’t even get me started on how often that happened. I’m not even particularly fond of my name either and once considered changing it.

Then I just kept it out of laziness and spite.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Finnish Air Force museum.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I cannot WAIT to see this smug piece of poo poo get taken down

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/10/piers-morgan-knew-of-phone-hacking-when-at-the-mirror-high-court-hears-prince-harry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mine's welsh and I can't pronounce it the welsh way so get both english people who can't spell it and welsh people who correct my pronunciation.

Wasn't he just threatening some guy with legal action because he said he was a phone hacker lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Mine's welsh and I can't pronounce it the welsh way so get both english people who can't spell it and welsh people who correct my pronunciation.

Wear your Star Wars name with pride, however you pronounce it is how it's pronounced

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

When I was watching the clip I initially thought it was a bit unfair of Dr. Mos-Shogbamimu because some people could have names that come from languages with different pronunciation rules than English. But on a second watching Dr. Mos-Shogbamimu does say "sound it out phonetically" which I think is all Ms. Neesom needed.

When I was younger I used to laugh at English people trying to say things in Welsh but as I grew older I realised that it's hardly someone fault if they can't instantly say something correctly in a language that doesn't follow their own rules.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TeltheTrekkie/status/1656276613682585602?t=7luj4vuZ1drZaXIx_AF7Dw&s=19

Keir Starmer is such a piece of poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

When I was watching the clip I initially thought it was a bit unfair of Dr. Mos-Shogbamimu because some people could have names that come from languages with different pronunciation rules than English. But on a second watching Dr. Mos-Shogbamimu does say "sound it out phonetically" which I think is all Ms. Neesom needed.

When I was younger I used to laugh at English people trying to say things in Welsh but as I grew older I realised that it's hardly someone fault if they can't instantly say something correctly in a language that doesn't follow their own rules.

It does also have sounds that don't exist in english and which I think probably need formal instruction on how to make them with your mouth, and also has sounds that do exist in english but welsh transcribes them entirely differently.

Although I suppose that last one is also true of english generally given that it has a bunch of spellings for the same sound even internally. But that is one of the reasons why english is a bad language.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 10, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

his sister was like the heat coming off the back of an old tv

I legally got my first name changed to something with only two letters and people still muck it up

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It does also have sounds that don't exist in english and which I think probably need formal instruction on how to make them with your mouth, and also has sounds that do exist in english but welsh transcribes them entirely differently.

Although I suppose that last one is also true of english generally given that it has a bunch of spellings for the same sound even internally. But that is one of the reasons why english is a bad language.

If your name has the "ll" letter in it then you're hosed straight away and, I think, would need some sort of formal instruction. I've always hated the way Americans pronounce Llewellyn, they say "lou-ellen" which is so wrong it physically hurts my ears. Though I suppose as Failed Imagineer said if that's the way you've always pronounced your name than that's your name.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bessantj posted:

If your name has the "ll" letter in it then you're hosed straight

challenge accepted

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tesseraction posted:

challenge accepted

Now I want to see "Welsh names but phonetically read by an Argentinian"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OwlFancier posted:

Haha I have a Welsh first name to go with my Irish surname. My mum made my dad drop his original first choice (Geraint) because they knew they would be moving to England. So went with a Welsh name English people know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjwgt1kRqEU

Mega Comrade posted:

Haha I have a Welsh first name to go with my Irish surname. My mum made my dad drop his original first choice (Geraint) because they knew they would be moving to England. So went with a Welsh name English people know.

Should have moved up here and you could have been Geraint of Riverside.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i would love to see morgan eat poo poo but i think he's too slippery

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Now I want to see "Welsh names but phonetically read by an Argentinian"

That is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

challenge accepted

Never knew "Ellen" was such a hard name to pronounce.

(just kidding)