Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Truly the most agricultural sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No, but that's because they are beers, not because they have alcohol.

Cider is the obviously superior fermented low-abv beverage.
Huh? My favorite brand is 5.7 ABV and plain ol' Angry Orchard is 5%.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Truly the most agricultural sport

yeah the big story isn't called field of dreams for no reason

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh? My favorite brand is 5.7 ABV and plain ol' Angry Orchard is 5%.

I think his point is that both beer and cider are low ABV drinks, and he (correctly*) names cider as the better of the two.

* - only applies to actual proper ciders, not the sugary poo poo sold widely in stores.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Proper cider (scrumpy)is extremely high % I thought

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

My preferred scrumpy is Old Rosie, which is around 7% - high if you're drinking it by the pint, but not ridiculous. Most of the reason for cider's reputation is that unlike most beers it actually tastes nice, so there's no incentive to stop drinking it - especially if it's served cold on a warm summer day.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zachack posted:

Is chaw still a thing in MLB? From my casual watching of giants games my impression is that everyone is packing in sunflower seeds and spraying the husks everywhere.

Chewing Tobacco has been banned in the Minors for a decade, there's no reason to ban it at the MLB level because the players coming up aren't using it.

Hilariously, almost 100% of NFL players use it specifically and only during training camps, when they're working 15+ hour days of strenuous activity because coffee makes you piss (and takes you off the field) and smoking is bad for your lungs and everything else shows up in a piss test, so the only stimulant left is chewing tobacco.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Sean posted:

This.

And a fundamental aspect of (most) IPAs is that they're bitter.

The same is true of goons, really.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Alctel posted:

Proper cider (scrumpy)is extremely high % I thought

From talking to my local brewery, it’s easier to get it to a higher % as well (iirc), and there’s different licenses for it vs brewing beer because of that. It’s on a wine license.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think his point is that both beer and cider are low ABV drinks, and he (correctly*) names cider as the better of the two.

* - only applies to actual proper ciders, not the sugary poo poo sold widely in stores.
Ah. I grew up in an era where the state next to mine allowed you to drink 4.0ABV at 18, everything else at 21. So that's my benchmark for low ABV.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone know why my boss' Imac is refusing a password that I KNOW works? Because I can log into thru Safari and see the device(s) he has. WHole thing started because Apple wants his phone and his CPU to embrace 2 step verification and we entered the code(s) but now his work Mac says the PW is incorrect. It's not incorrect. His phone and the Apple website accept it. We didn't change anything.

Apple used to be really good at ease of use and not having to be a big tech person to use their products but I swear to god they're god awful anymore with this stuff. I've been using Apple and Mac for 30 years now in my professional work, so I'm more than familiar with them, and now I'm looking at having to reset his password for like the 3rd time in the last year if I can't get it to work because these devices aren't playing nice.

It worked fine until we finally clicked on the two step verification message that I couldn't make go away. Also, there's no way to turn it OFF anywhere on the Apple site or really change any security settings. He doesn't need it or want it and only has the Mac and the phone.

The Adobe Creative Cloud he pays for likes to pull this poo poo on occasion too. Asking me to log in when I AM logged in but still can;t work on any jobs until I figure out a workaround.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’ve run into a similar issue on Windows and the problem turned out to be IT policy requiring Intune to be installed to make sure any machine with access was being kept up to date. The error message was just a generic authentication failure, of course, nothing you could use to diagnose the actual problem. It could be something similar here, some extra security measure in the enterprise version that came in at the same time as the 2-factor authentication. If you’re a large company then talk to IT, if you are IT then good luck.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
There was a recent-ish update where my Mini now has a separate login password from my Apple ID password, when it used to be just the latter.

So I made them the same password. :-/

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

In today's reminder that mainstream science journalism always has been and always will be poo poo: AI poses existential threat and risk to health of millions, experts warn (Guardian). This entire article is based off a single five-author journal paper (here). This fact is alluded to once, in the sentence "health professionals from the UK, US, Australia, Costa Rica and Malaysia writing in the journal BMJ Global Health". People from five different countries sounds much more impressive than five people, after all!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Guardian has been a trashy rag for a long time

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

In today's reminder that mainstream science journalism always has been and always will be poo poo: AI poses existential threat and risk to health of millions, experts warn (Guardian). This entire article is based off a single five-author journal paper (here). This fact is alluded to once, in the sentence "health professionals from the UK, US, Australia, Costa Rica and Malaysia writing in the journal BMJ Global Health". People from five different countries sounds much more impressive than five people, after all!

It's also based on warnings from "a coalition of health experts, independent factcheckers, and medical charities", in the form of an open letter "signed by institutions including the British Heart Foundation, Royal College of GPs, and Full Fact".

While The Guardian is slightly exaggerating it, as is usually the case with science coverage, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the article itself, which is mostly composed of quotes from the journal paper and letter.

I don't see too much obviously wrong with the journal paper either. The "existential threat" part is barely mentioned at all, to the point where I suspect it was thrown in as an afterthought. Instead, the paper focuses almost entirely on real issues with real technologies being developed and deployed right now, to the point where I'd say it's somewhat overusing the term "AI" because it fails to draw a clear distinction between the algorithmically-driven tools of the 2010s and the machine-learning stuff being deployed currently.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pumpinglemma posted:

I’ve run into a similar issue on Windows and the problem turned out to be IT policy requiring Intune to be installed to make sure any machine with access was being kept up to date. The error message was just a generic authentication failure, of course, nothing you could use to diagnose the actual problem. It could be something similar here, some extra security measure in the enterprise version that came in at the same time as the 2-factor authentication. If you’re a large company then talk to IT, if you are IT then good luck.

Researching it, it looks like it's another one of those endless things where I have to trouble shoot and trick the system into knocking this poo poo off. Reset this, delete that, clear this cache, delete PRAM, update some other thing, etc. And for whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn OFF two step now that it's implemented and loving things up.

I really don't want to reset the password again because even that is a hassle and causes all sorts of inconvenience and headaches for the guy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of tech nightmares, I'm trying to move from Chrome at home, but man Firefox is slow and a system hog, particularly when it comes to loading videos or youtube. Firefox also lacks a very good chrome feature I use like all the time, the right click translate button. Firefox has addons for it but compared to the built in chrome functionality they all suck.

Chrome can translate the page without affecting it's functionality, the firefox plugins can't and often break the page.

I tend to visit a lot of pages in languages I don't speak, or speak well so chromes google translate feature is real difficult to live without. It's just so.. well designed, it just works.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I recall people saying that Google intentionally slows down youtube on Firefox, but I don't know if that's just a conspiracy theory.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’ve had some minor annoyances with edge, but it’s been far better than either chrome or firefox for the last year or so. i’ve used it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Edge started alright. Sadly Microsoft have decided you must use bing now though and really forcing it down your throat.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, that was my biggest annoyance—that stupid blue button. but that’s only cosmetic, and i haven’t had to deal with bing since.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mega Comrade posted:

Edge started alright. Sadly Microsoft have decided you must use bing now though and really forcing it down your throat.

you can just turn it off, the options page shouldn't scare you

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Firefox owns, I've been using it for several years. Containers, temporary tabs, browser fingerprinting resist, and a dedication to privacy all rule. A website loading a second slower is worth it to me. Chrome is the real tech nightmare.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

starkebn posted:

you can just turn it off, the options page shouldn't scare you

Ahh added it in to remove it finally?
It was something you couldn't turn off when it first got added.

withoutclass posted:

Firefox owns, I've been using it for several years. Containers, temporary tabs, browser fingerprinting resist, and a dedication to privacy all rule. A website loading a second slower is worth it to me. Chrome is the real tech nightmare.

Yeah personally I find Firefox to be the best for features. My computer is pretty high end so if it is sightly slower for video, I've never noticed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

I recall people saying that Google intentionally slows down youtube on Firefox, but I don't know if that's just a conspiracy theory.

Youtube runs better on Firefox than Chrome for me (and I can block out ads better in Firefox).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Clarste posted:

I think firefox is the only browser that shunts the video decode into a separate managed process, because the source code for it is closed source and they permit no such thing in their main process. This probably has a performance impact. I don't think google gives a poo poo about firefox users.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I like Firefox but yeah sometimes I open a youtube tab and I have to just do something else for a while. Not every time, just sometimes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's also based on warnings from "a coalition of health experts, independent factcheckers, and medical charities", in the form of an open letter "signed by institutions including the British Heart Foundation, Royal College of GPs, and Full Fact".

While The Guardian is slightly exaggerating it, as is usually the case with science coverage, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the article itself, which is mostly composed of quotes from the journal paper and letter.

I don't see too much obviously wrong with the journal paper either. The "existential threat" part is barely mentioned at all, to the point where I suspect it was thrown in as an afterthought. Instead, the paper focuses almost entirely on real issues with real technologies being developed and deployed right now, to the point where I'd say it's somewhat overusing the term "AI" because it fails to draw a clear distinction between the algorithmically-driven tools of the 2010s and the machine-learning stuff being deployed currently.
The open letter doesn’t actually mention AI at all as far as I can tell and is purely about health misinformation, but the article is written to encourage any inattentive reader to conflate it with the journal paper. The journal paper itself is probably perfectly sensible - the journal is a reputable one and AI as it exists now is a serious danger - but it’s not the same thing as a vast globe-spanning coalition of healthcare professionals calling for AI regulation, which is what the article is doing its best to imply without ever technically saying.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm not in love with Firefox, but it allows plugins to block advertiser trackers, which Google is planning to forbid in Chrome.

Have you always wanted to store your wine in the cloud? Underground Cellars has the solution for you.

Well, had, actually.

quote:

Underground Cellar, the innovative wine reseller that suddenly ceased operations in late April after attracting customers with a game-like wine-collecting experience, owes roughly $25 million dollars worth of wine and other debts to creditors, according to bankruptcy filings.

On May 1, the San Francisco company filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy with the District of Delaware, where it was incorporated, to end business operations and liquidate its assets. The bankruptcy documents list more than 37,000 unsecured claims, largely for purchased wine that customers haven’t received.

As the bankruptcy case proceeds, Underground Cellar’s thousands of customers, investors and suppliers are left wondering what went wrong at a company that seemed poised for huge success, with $13.5 million in funding, according to Crunchbase, and $20 million in reported revenue last year. Now, there are conflicting accounts of the company’s leadership structure, an allegation of fraud and questions over who rightfully owns the many wines supposedly housed in Underground Cellar’s Napa warehouse.
A defining feature of Underground Cellar’s platform was that it offered to store customers’ purchased wines for them in a virtual “CloudCellar” until they were ready to have them shipped from the company’s climate-controlled physical storage location. But now, no one with wine in the CloudCellar can access it.

“It’s just horrifying. Everybody is feeling robbed,” said Gregg Thatcher, an Underground Cellar user and administrator of a Facebook group with over 400 fellow customers. Thatcher is owed a little over $1,000; many other customers are owed tens of thousands of dollars worth of wine. “People built up these vast collections and they don’t know what they’re going to do. It’s a tremendous loss for them,” Thatcher said. One person Thatcher spoke with claims to have spent $200,000 on wine he can’t access.

Some customers questioned whether their wines actually exist. But a former Underground Cellar warehouse employee who spoke with The Chronicle said the Napa warehouse has over 500,000 bottles stored, and that before the shutdown, it was shipping 200-300 cases of wine a week. (The Chronicle has verified the worker’s employment with Underground Cellar, but is granting them anonymity in accordance with its policy on anonymous sources).

But there was still a shortfall, according to the bankruptcy filing, which shows that customers ordered $2.7 million worth of wine that never made it to the warehouse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not in love with Firefox, but it allows plugins to block advertiser trackers, which Google is planning to forbid in Chrome.

Basically why I moved to Firefox, but it has it's frustrating limits. The translate thing one is probably the biggest one for me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Chrome is literally designed to make it easier to sell and serve ads.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Basically why I moved to Firefox, but it has it's frustrating limits. The translate thing one is probably the biggest one for me.

That's the biggest thing I miss from Chrome. Their translation functions were so, so good compared to Firefox and I spend probably 10-25% of my internet time on non-English websites. Still made the switch to Firefox anyway, but I miss that. :(

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

firefoxstuff

Have you always wanted to store your wine in the cloud? Underground Cellars has the solution for you.

Well, had, actually.

so techbros reinvented the wheel but worse, but this time rented storage for Veblen goods/commodities/consumables?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

so techbros reinvented the wheel but worse, but this time rented storage for Veblen goods/commodities/consumables?

Yup! BTW, a couple of years back, thousands of bottles of wine, including winemakers' "libraries" (bottles from all their vintages, for comparison) were lost when a customer set fire to another company's warehouse in order to hide his wine forgery.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've been using Edge almost since it was released and it's pretty flawless. I tried to switch to Firefox a month ago but it was missing some functionality I preferred in Edge, so now I'm back to all Edge. I think the legacy of Internet Explorer stink is stopping a lot of people from trying it, but I don't know what's wrong with it other than Microsoft being one of the big bads.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

starkebn posted:

I've been using Edge almost since it was released and it's pretty flawless. I tried to switch to Firefox a month ago but it was missing some functionality I preferred in Edge, so now I'm back to all Edge. I think the legacy of Internet Explorer stink is stopping a lot of people from trying it, but I don't know what's wrong with it other than Microsoft being one of the big bads.

How many plugins are there? Without 1Password, Paprika, and uBlock Origin, I'm not interested.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm on edge and 1password and ublock are working just fine for me.

not sure what the plugin paprika is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How many plugins are there? Without 1Password, Paprika, and uBlock Origin, I'm not interested.

it's a chromium browser, every chrome plugin works as far as I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Been noticing adds for Chrome lately.

Is their dominance slipping due to Bing related reasons or something?