Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Help fund new animation!

https://twitter.com/charliepgavin/status/1653842622052700164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Helluva is letting me do color as well, which THANK gently caress. I'm a perfectly capable colorist but you tend to get pigeonholed real fast when the majority of your portfolio is in one department.

There's a huge lapse in production work right now from all the layoffs earlier in the year. Almost everyone I know has been either looking for work or freelancing. I do, however, keep hearing that folks are expecting jobs to start appearing again in June/July. No idea why, just multiple sources saying.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

There's a huge lapse in production work right now from all the layoffs earlier in the year. Almost everyone I know has been either looking for work or freelancing. I do, however, keep hearing that folks are expecting jobs to start appearing again in June/July. No idea why, just multiple sources saying.

They might be ballparking when the writer's strike will end since that obviously affects a lot of shows. But other than that I dunno either, seems weird.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

They might be ballparking when the writer's strike will end since that obviously affects a lot of shows. But other than that I dunno either, seems weird.

Animation writers apparently aren't covered under the WGA umbrella and have their own smaller, much less powerful union. It's why Disney keeps getting away with murder when it comes to abusing their animated show staffs. So they're not on strike with the rest of the WGA right now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TwoPair posted:

This was my initial guess, but I then dismissed it because I thought the 2007 writer's strike lasted like, 6-8 months. Turns out I was misremembering! So yeah, probably projecting a timeframe based on the 2007 one.

E: TAG isn't directly effected, but I'm getting slammed with solidarity notices, strike meeting locations, and there was an emergency TAG Zoom meeting last week about it that I... slept through.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 9, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

Helluva is letting me do color as well, which THANK gently caress. I'm a perfectly capable colorist but you tend to get pigeonholed real fast when the majority of your portfolio is in one department.

I'm glad to hear that they're letting you branch out

I know it probably won't be for another year but I can't wait for you to point out all the scenes you worked on :kimchi:

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Anyone else watching Fired on Mars on HBO Max?
Stumbled onto it randomly and it's pretty good.
Show seems to be set a few years in the future and Elon Musk started a Google Campus on Mars.
The main character, Jeff, gets a job there, only to get fired a few months later, with no way really to get back home he's pretty much stuck doing grunt work and odd jobs.
It feels really similar to Severance to me.
Wasn't expecting much from the show and was pleasantly surprised that it was decent.

Trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuoFRg2fWM

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The only way Elon's getting anything to Mars is the shrapnel from an exploded rocket.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Neeksy posted:

The only way Elon's getting anything to Mars is the shrapnel from an exploded rocket.

Just to be clear it's making fun of the guy not celebrating him.
It's not actually Elon, it's this gross looking dude who's a stand in for Elon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Helluva Boss is finally doing subtitles.

And putting them into all the old episodes as they're able.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm so excited :supaburn:

Vivzie also hinted at some big news soon. Wonder if it might have anything to do Hazbin?

i am guessing a hazibin trailer. also apperently their is drama going on about or some poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Helluva Boss is finally doing subtitles.

And putting them into all the old episodes as they're able.

good. took them long enough.

nine-gear crow posted:

Animation writers apparently aren't covered under the WGA umbrella and have their own smaller, much less powerful union. It's why Disney keeps getting away with murder when it comes to abusing their animated show staffs. So they're not on strike with the rest of the WGA right now.

they also are stuck partly because animation is a LOOONG process and projects take years just getting off the ground. so your kinda stuck. people like viv and zack and other manage to breakthrough, they are usually working on like 5 projects at once. so they arnt totaly hosed if one falls through.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TwoDayLife posted:

Just to be clear it's making fun of the guy not celebrating him.
It's not actually Elon, it's this gross looking dude who's a stand in for Elon.

It's insane that in such sort a time we've gone from entertainment media fellating Musk as a Modern Edison to making him the de-facto villain of society.

There was a mention of him early in Star Trek Discovery as a 'great man' in 2017 and in only 5 short years he's become the running joke for rich lovely tech rear end in a top hat.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Unicorn's animation/character design is so odd to me. Not in a bad way per se, but just weird. You have goth betty boop, Popeye/Frankie from The Goon, and anime Legolas beboping around with special guest appearances from one of the Dover Boys and totally not the zombie dinosaur from that one episode of Primal.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

pentyne posted:

It's insane that in such sort a time we've gone from entertainment media fellating Musk as a Modern Edison to making him the de-facto villain of society.

There was a mention of him early in Star Trek Discovery as a 'great man' in 2017 and in only 5 short years he's become the running joke for rich lovely tech rear end in a top hat.

That doesn't matter. He thrives on attention of any kind. You don't gently caress with Elon by making him a villain, you gently caress with him and all these other stupid whiny rich morons by completely ignoring that they exist. Starve them of attention and QUIT PUTTING THEM IN loving TV SHOWS AND MOVIES, EVEN AS PARODY!!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mycomancy posted:

That doesn't matter. He thrives on attention of any kind. You don't gently caress with Elon by making him a villain, you gently caress with him and all these other stupid whiny rich morons by completely ignoring that they exist. Starve them of attention and QUIT PUTTING THEM IN loving TV SHOWS AND MOVIES, EVEN AS PARODY!!

I dunno him getting mad caused him to purchase twitter and lose a bunch of money.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno him getting mad caused him to purchase twitter and lose a bunch of money.

Yeah Elon is not like Trump he is obviously bothered by negative attention (based on how every Twitter update is motivated to try and prevent Twitter users from making fun of him) and it's very funny

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycot posted:

Yeah Elon is not like Trump he is obviously bothered by negative attention (based on how every Twitter update is motivated to try and prevent Twitter users from making fun of him) and it's very funny

Alright, point granted! He is a thin-skinned little bitch isn't he?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

Unicorn's animation/character design is so odd to me. Not in a bad way per se, but just weird. You have goth betty boop, Popeye/Frankie from The Goon, and anime Legolas beboping around with special guest appearances from one of the Dover Boys and totally not the zombie dinosaur from that one episode of Primal.

So it's like PG13 or R rated version of Gumball?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Jeff Bezos just went to space last year and Richard Brandon’s stumbling Virgin Galactic finally started offering space flights. A rich tech guy trying to go to Mars isn’t a reference to Musk, all of them are getting into rockets now.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pentyne posted:

Ahem, it was "a madcap hybrid of Thomas Edison, P.T. Barnum, Andrew Carnegie and Watchmen’s Doctor Manhattan."

the degree of boot licking cannot be understated

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's been a trope for awhile, one of the seasons of Futureman has a get to Mars bad guy (his Mars plan is pretty hilarious but no way to get into it without ruing the season long joke). Every season of that show is a different time travel trope its great. Rough start but really finda itself (not animated so let's not linger)

I'd love an animated incompetent time travelers. Rick and Morty kind of hit that at first but they lean too hard into Rick is a God now (along with other problems but I had plot issues before that)

Yes dimensions hopping is fine but hosed up futures is really what I want.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pixaal posted:

I'd love an animated incompetent time travelers. Rick and Morty kind of hit that at first but they lean too hard into Rick is a God now (along with other problems but I had plot issues before that)

Yes dimensions hopping is fine but hosed up futures is really what I want.

yeah, like dimension hopping ciaphas cain/ nicer version of flashman type who is kinda of a well meaning coward(or at least imposter syndrom) jack of all trades and hops around various weird multiversus inadvertently helping people. or you could make them a chaotic good star lord type. idk. just someone who isn't a constant cynicle dickhead. i think they have finally done better with rick and stuff but idk, he gets old, morty is more likable as hosed up as he is.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Richard Horvitz manages to make all his voices still sound distinct even though they're all basically just his one voice.

Nikumatic posted:

Yeah, like Patrick Warburton. Their delivery is impeccable and makes it a moot point that they're not men of a thousand voices.

H Jon Benjamin, Kirsten Schaal and Katie Micucci have gotta be up there too. Can we get another toon for Wendie Malick to flex her chords in now that Owl House is done.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Pachylad posted:

H Jon Benjamin, Kirsten Schaal and Katie Micucci have gotta be up there too. Can we get another toon for Wendie Malick to flex her chords in now that Owl House is done.

Yeesssss. All of this!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am guessing a hazibin trailer. also apperently their is drama going on about or some poo poo.

There is always drama going on :nallears: The Sally Mae stuff is especially weird because it just came off as an animator upset that her character didn't get used

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

[[

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hazbin/Helluva Boss are the sort of stuff that attracts all sorts of drama. What’s the latest?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

The only

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

[url=][/url]

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

[

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You good?

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeesssss. All of this!!

There is always drama going on :nallears: The Sally Mae stuff is especially weird because it just came off as an animator upset that her character didn't get used

The Sally Mae drama is nothing, especially considering the voice actor for Sally Mae has come out and said she loves the character and is fully on Viv's side. This seems to be one or two disgruntled former animators, and frankly it seems like whatever issues they had was on their end because every other animator that works there or had worked there always comes out in support of Viv. From what it seems like, it looks like this person designed a different trans character, it ended up as a background character and they went with Sally Mae instead and I think the person feels slighted by that. That's just my guess though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm… not surprised there's production drama.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

You good?

The Sally Mae drama is nothing, especially considering the voice actor for Sally Mae has come out and said she loves the character and is fully on Viv's side. This seems to be one or two disgruntled former animators, and frankly it seems like whatever issues they had was on their end because every other animator that works there or had worked there always comes out in support of Viv. From what it seems like, it looks like this person designed a different trans character, it ended up as a background character and they went with Sally Mae instead and I think the person feels slighted by that. That's just my guess though.

It's hard to really comment on a lot of that because I just don't actually know what goes on behind the scenes and it feels like every little thing that comes out gets lumped in with the people who already hate the show/vivzie. people are allowed to not like shows or people but they've turned it in to their entire brand.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

It's hard to really comment on a lot of that because I just don't actually know what goes on behind the scenes and it feels like every little thing that comes out gets lumped in with the people who already hate the show/vivzie. people are allowed to not like shows or people but they've turned it in to their entire brand.

I'm always hearing there's some drama going on but when I look it up it's almost always some nitpicky bullshit and I can't imagine how exhausting that has to get. Like for Christsakes she hasn't even put out the next episode yet can we calm down for maybe five minutes?

Moving on tho, Unicorn warriors be looking pretty dang clean I must say.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flopsy posted:

I'm always hearing there's some drama going on but when I look it up it's almost always some nitpicky bullshit and I can't imagine how exhausting that has to get. Like for Christsakes she hasn't even put out the next episode yet can we calm down for maybe five minutes?

Yeah, with the last episode there was that video somebodies did trying to make its treatment of Millie a problem because... reasons?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pachylad posted:

I'm disappointed Clancy Brown is not on this list. :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

Clancy Brown has 2 voices, regular Clancy Brown and Mr. Krabs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Keith David probably should be too. At most he just pitches his voice a little higher for smaller roles but who cares? It's Keith David.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dawgstar posted:

Keith David probably should be too. At most he just pitches his voice a little higher for smaller roles but who cares? It's Keith David.

That man has the world's most fuckable voice.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

mycot posted:

Clancy Brown has 2 voices, regular Clancy Brown and Mr. Krabs.

He also has THE KURGAN! Which is just loud Clancy Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeesssss. All of this!!

Macaluso posted:

You good?

yeah the erin frost stuff comes off as high maintainece person who tried a job they wernt ready for and it never clicked and they kinda held a grudge.