Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah I always heard shoes, beds, chairs, and tires.

Not like buy the most expensive tires, but maintain and replace when needed because a crash is more expensive than a new set of tires.

I’d personally throw glasses on that list if you wear them all day. The difference at the end of the day between light and heavy frames is nuts, to say nothing of just being able to see right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Spending money for quality shoes, chairs and beds was drilled into me early on by a former boss, and she was 100% right that it will drastically improve your quality of life in the long run.

I recall this advice as "things that go between you and the ground": shoes, tires and mattresses

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’d personally throw glasses on that list if you wear them all day. The difference at the end of the day between light and heavy frames is nuts, to say nothing of just being able to see right.

i have a stupid asian nose so not having glasses slip when i'm even a tad sweaty is very important.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just want to point out that the sheet evangelist is a mf who like ten pages ago had a single set of sheets, rarely did laundry, and had 15k worth of steam purchases

Yes, but even a broken clock is right twice a day because:

Enos Cabell posted:

Spending money for quality shoes, chairs and beds was drilled into me early on by a former boss, and she was 100% right that it will drastically improve your quality of life in the long run.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

My sleep is poo poo as it is, so I am completely on board with putting a good chunk of change into my bed situation to shore it up wherever I can. The Costco thread talked about this recently too. We bought a latex mattress from Sleep EZ almost a decade ago for about $2400 (king size) and it's loving amazing. I also buy the expensive sheets (Riley percale) and lightweight down alternative comforter, and the single piece memory foam pillow from Costco.

Downside is that my sleep is extra poo poo in any other bed, and I travel a decent amount for work.

Edit: oh and I made sure to buy the most comfortable steel toe boots I could, for work, now that I can afford them. Work would only pay for the cheapest ones but mine feel like I'm wearing regular shoes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's pretty neat how you can go online and order 4-5 pairs of decent glasses for 100-150bux or so, cheap enough that if one or two don't fit/work right you can just donate them and move on with your life. It's nice knowing i have a handful of backup pairs that seem to work as well as the far more expensive pair my insurance paid for. Having backup glasses is very GWL.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Orvin posted:

Isn’t a lot of the shipped mattress stuff SV investor subsidized? Like how much longer can that go on, just shipping the drat thing to your door has to be most of the out of pocket cost.

Costco does it, and their queen was like 900? With shipping iirc. 60 lbs in like a 5'x2'x2' box. Real nice mattress with none of the bullshit. Don't think it's a loss leader in any way, the material science has just immensely improved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep a backup set of glasses in your car, I've broken a set while traveling and had to drive back to the hotel with the wreckage duct taped to my face. You'll only do that once.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Midjack posted:

Keep a backup set of glasses in your car, I've broken a set while traveling and had to drive back to the hotel with the wreckage duct taped to my face. You'll only do that once.
Yeah. The glove compartment of your car is the best place for your spare set of glasses. If you don't have (or can't afford) a spare set of glasses, just put your previous pair (with its old prescription) in there.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Desert Bus posted:

It's pretty neat how you can go online and order 4-5 pairs of decent glasses for 100-150bux or so
Tell me you're not old enough for progressives without telling me you're not old enough for progressives.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

Yeah. The glove compartment of your car is the best place for your spare set of glasses. If you don't have (or can't afford) a spare set of glasses, just put your previous pair (with its old prescription) in there.

My two backups are my two newest old ones! My scrip seems to have stabilized for now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree you want quality sheets, but that isn’t the same as expensive sheets. The best classic percale I’ve found, the same wonderful crispy stuff my grandma used to have, is Target organic cotton sheets. Which are $55 for a full-bed set. Classic cotton percale isn’t inherently expensive, it’s not a difficult weave or high thread count or made out of unusual materials. Most of the price is just bonkers markup.

Another factor is that I think lately people have heard that the magic word “percale” is good but they don’t actually like classic percale (not drapey, not shiny, too wrinkly, not thin and fine!!), so manufacturers have been calling things percale even though they don’t have the traditional characteristics. Love to devalue meaning for this quarter’s sales

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Admiralty Flag posted:

Tell me you're not old enough for progressives without telling me you're not old enough for progressives.

I’m on to you and your sneaky communist glasses. Bifocals or nothing!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

Yes, but even a broken clock is right twice a day because:

The zealotry of the newly converted has no peers is all I’m saying.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Protip for contacts: get your eyes to somehow need the exact same prescription and fit and not have to worry about R/L!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

TaintedBalance posted:

Costco does it, and their queen was like 900? With shipping iirc. 60 lbs in like a 5'x2'x2' box. Real nice mattress with none of the bullshit. Don't think it's a loss leader in any way, the material science has just immensely improved.

I can believe $900 shipped is a reasonable, sustainable price for a mattress. $150 (or whatever crazy low number is being thrown around) really isn’t. Especially with those 100 day free returns, no questions asked.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Looking back, LASIK was probably the best money I've ever spent. I've been without glasses for almost 20 years now, it's awesome.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nocheez posted:

Looking back, LASIK was probably the best money I've ever spent. I've been without glasses for almost 20 years now, it's awesome.

Seriously, I had LASIK 15 years ago, it was $3500 (no interest financing for 36 months). $100 a month wasn't an insurmountable cost to never have to worry.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone I know that had LASIK in the past has had to start wearing readers after 10 years or so and some have had to start wearing glasses again. Some have started getting halos around lights at night. One guy had serious issues for at least 2 weeks in one of his eyes following the procedure. Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I legit can't get Lasik. The last time I asked my eye doctor looked at my chart and laughed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cacafuego posted:

Everyone I know that had LASIK in the past has had to start wearing readers after 10 years or so and some have had to start wearing glasses again. Some have started getting halos around lights at night. One guy had serious issues for at least 2 weeks in one of his eyes following the procedure. Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

LASIK doesn't do anything for presbyopia, which is caused by aging of the lens and its loss of elasticity and not by a misshaped lens, so as you age and develop it you're still going to need readers.

Readers are way less of a pain in the rear end then corrective lenses for myopia.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had LASIK 25 years ago, and while I have to wear readers occasionally now so does everyone else in my age group. It's been the best medical decision I've ever made. doesn't hurt that I got both eyes done for $300 when it was still covered by insurance

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nocheez posted:

Great to hear, I had it done two years ago and the only time I need reading glasses is when it's tiny text in the dark. And with what quality bifocals cost, I'll have the cost recouped within roughly 10 years.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
+1 for LASIK (actually PRK in my case). Yea, I'll probably need glasses again sometime when I'm older but starting from 20/20 again is way better than my previous prescription. No more not seeing the clock in the morning, losing a contact during sports, sleeping with contacts in, traveling or especially camping with that stuff. Will do it again if I'm still eligible if my vision gets significantly worse.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Everyone I know that had LASIK in the past has had to start wearing readers after 10 years or so and some have had to start wearing glasses again. Some have started getting halos around lights at night.

This is me. I kinda wish I had not done it, but don't feel like it was a huge mistake or anything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

I’m on to you and your sneaky communist glasses. Bifocals or nothing!
Bifocal is old hat, panfocal is the new hotness.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I have something vaguely BWM related. My boss and I used to work with this woman, "Susan" who recently retired. Susan seemed to have a lot of problems with interpersonal problems at work, so we were both glad when she left. Apparently when she was still working here, Susan told my boss how much money she had saved up for retirement which made my boss upset. It's been a few months, but in a discussion about having Susan volunteer at one of our events, my boss said, "Maybe Susan is too busy counting up all of her money!"

Clearly my boss feels insecure about her own retirement savings. I don't know if Susan comes from generational wealth or anything, but she and her husband seemed pretty frugal to me from what little I knew of them. On the other hand, my boss says that she loves to enjoy herself and take trips to Hawaii every year. My boss and her husband both worked in the non-profit sector for their careers but I really feel like they had opportunities to save but didn't.

I do think it was a little rude of Susan to bring up her money at work but my boss is overreacting to that. What do you all think?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Things not looking great for "The Bitcoin Mayor" in Miami.

The FTX arena is gone, the new HQ for Blockchain.com fell through, and the city council has started trying to rein in the Mayor on his crypto deals, end the funding for research on allowing residents to pay property taxes in crypto, and investing city funds in crypto.

The Mayor is still taking his salary in bitcoin and is now cold-calling venture capital companies to try and convince them to move to Miami and help save his initiative to make it the "Crypto Capital of the World."

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1656293537414094849

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 10, 2023

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL @ Florida getting the government it deserves.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Lemon Trees posted:

I do think it was a little rude of Susan to bring up her money at work but my boss is overreacting to that. What do you all think?

Depends if it was prompted or not. I've definitely had people ask me money questions and get upset at the answer. If Susan was just going "Look at what I have" then she sucks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You have no idea how much your boss, her husband, or Susan have saved or otherwise have. Susan was being weird telling her boss about her savings, and your boss is probably making fun of that weirdness more than whatever the number was.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think that Susan knew exactly what she was doing and is currently enjoying The Best Revenge.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lemon Trees posted:

I have something vaguely BWM related. My boss and I used to work with this woman, "Susan" who recently retired. Susan seemed to have a lot of problems with interpersonal problems at work, so we were both glad when she left. Apparently when she was still working here, Susan told my boss how much money she had saved up for retirement which made my boss upset. It's been a few months, but in a discussion about having Susan volunteer at one of our events, my boss said, "Maybe Susan is too busy counting up all of her money!"

Clearly my boss feels insecure about her own retirement savings. I don't know if Susan comes from generational wealth or anything, but she and her husband seemed pretty frugal to me from what little I knew of them. On the other hand, my boss says that she loves to enjoy herself and take trips to Hawaii every year. My boss and her husband both worked in the non-profit sector for their careers but I really feel like they had opportunities to save but didn't.

Everyone should talk about finances more. Not for bragging or whatever, but people are just generally ignorant about this poo poo, and everyone but the top few percent would be better off if we destigmatize money talk. That goes triple for salary discussions.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Everyone always talks about their latest BWM car purchase. Why not balance it out by talking about your latest GWM savings achievement.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

Everyone should talk about finances more. Not for bragging or whatever, but people are just generally ignorant about this poo poo, and everyone but the top few percent would be better off if we destigmatize money talk. That goes triple for salary discussions.

“How much I Make” within the context of a workplace is an OK conversation if it is one of those places with wage transparency. “How much I Have” seems like a minefield and just a way to create jealousy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Salary discussions sure, although since one person is the boss she wouldn’t need to be told. The office jerk saying “look what I have in the bank, neener neener” does not contribute to the discourse in the same way.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Maybe eight or so years back I was drinking with a couple friends at a dive bar. One of them used to be in finance and went into academia. He was telling us that he had about $400k saved up, which was quite good especially for people in their late 20s, but our other friend started arguing with him. Like, "No you don't, you're lying". It was very weird.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Tomfoolery posted:

Maybe eight or so years back I was drinking with a couple friends at a dive bar. One of them used to be in finance and went into academia. He was telling us that he had about $400k saved up, which was quite good especially for people in their late 20s, but our other friend started arguing with him. Like, "No you don't, you're lying". It was very weird.

I don't blame them. Given our starting points, upbringing, and career paths that seems impossible without a dumb windfall or generational inheritance.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lifg posted:

Everyone always talks about their latest BWM car purchase. Why not balance it out by talking about your latest GWM savings achievement.

i stuffed a hundred dollars between two books and found it recently while cleaning up

i left 2 20 bills in a jacket i haven't worn for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Tyro posted:

This is me. I kinda wish I had not done it, but don't feel like it was a huge mistake or anything.

I had to start wearing glasses again about 6 years after LASIK which has kind of been a bummer.