Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lum_ posted:

VDV!
No braver men you'll get!
Jumped in the Black Sea after sunset!
Tried our best to swim to the shore!
Didn't quite make it and they're flying out more!

I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
ISW is reporting that ARF just gave up roughly 3 square miles of Bakhmut. Not that there's anything with holding there anymore, that's still a sizable reversal given the pace of conflict over the past 5 months.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1656343774232969227

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Borscht posted:

That patriot battery wasn't even the most up to date, right?

I think there were reports saying that the Ukrainian battery was brand new and hard parts the US didn't even have yet, would have to dig out that article though.

Edit: couldn't find it, so not sure if I just made this up. Recall it was an interview with some manufacturing folks producing a station of some kind which was going to Ukraine before DoD took official delivery but it could be for some other system

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 10, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

A.o.D. posted:

ISW is reporting that ARF just gave up roughly 3 square miles of Bakhmut. Not that there's anything with holding there anymore, that's still a sizable reversal given the pace of conflict over the past 5 months.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1656343774232969227

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/16865

According to the Kyiv Post it's a sizeable counterattack that did not end well for the Russian side, it'll be interesting to see if it's just part of the general ebb and flow around Bakhmut or whether it's part of the supposed major counterattack that's going to happen in May. According to Prigozhin, who has every motivation to understate his losses(unless he's still trying to convince everyone that Wagner just needs more ammo and this is what happens when they don't get it), Wagner lost 500 troops in the counterattack.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I think there were reports saying that the Ukrainian battery was brand new and hard parts the US didn't even have yet, would have to dig out that article though.

Well, there really isn't any better trial ground for new stuff than Ukraine at the moment, but obviously there are limitations on what you can send to Ukraine if you want to keep the details of such system a secret.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

According to the Kyiv Post it's a sizeable counterattack that did not end well for the Russian side, it'll be interesting to see if it's just part of the general ebb and flow around Bakhmut or whether it's part of the supposed major counterattack that's going to happen in May. According to Prigozhin, who has every motivation to understate his losses(unless he's still trying to convince everyone that Wagner just needs more ammo and this is what happens when they don't get it), Wagner lost 500 troops in the counterattack.

It turns out it might be a bad idea to broadcast that your force is basically out of ammo in front of a motivated enemy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, there really isn't any better trial ground for new stuff than Ukraine at the moment, but obviously there are limitations on what you can send to Ukraine if you want to keep the details of such system a secret.

<Russia captures a brand new 2023 Patriot battery>
<Spends 2 years cannibalizing Samsung appliances and PS4s for components>
<Spends another 4 years developing first prototype at a cost of 200 billion Rubles>
<Is actually an S-300 with a body kit that they staff with dwarfs and children in Russian uniforms and keep Putin at least 200m away from>

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Alchenar posted:

It turns out it might be a bad idea to broadcast that your force is basically out of ammo in front of a motivated enemy.
It's just one silly and stupid idea after another with the Russian side. It's like a violent clownshow.
edit: like that video from early on of Russian soldiers standing like 20 feet away from an SRBM and intentionally shooting it to I guess disable it? Ended with predictable results.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 11, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blistex posted:

<Russia captures a brand new 2023 Patriot battery>
<Spends 2 years cannibalizing Samsung appliances and PS4s for components>
<Spends another 4 years developing first prototype at a cost of 200 billion Rubles>
<Is actually an S-300 with a body kit that they staff with dwarfs and children in Russian uniforms and keep Putin at least 200m away from>

I think the worry would more be the battalion of Chinese forensic engineers who would descend on the device as soon as it entered Russian hands.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i saw people elsewhere speculating a while back about whether this was theatre or if there's actual bad blood between russian MoD and wagner and I remain confident that, if anything, there's no shortage of either

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
there's no way in hell prigozhin is pretending to be owned

he has far too much pride for that

for a guy who looks like a bulldog anyway

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
US DOD update, not much here. I cut out everything unrelated to Ukraine.

Link with video: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/
Link with USAI announcement: https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3388890/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Reminder that USAI is a contract mechanism, not a drawdown from US stocks, so anything in a USAI tends to be months to a year+ down the road.

Highlights:
-USAI includes ammunition, training/maintenance support, air defense systems/munitions, equipment to help integrate Western and legacy Ukrainian air defenses, among other things
-US Confirms that Ukraine used Patriot to shoot down a Kinzhal (NATO reporting name Killjoy) missile. These are missiles launched from modified MiG-31s, capable of hypersonic speeds.
-US continues to train Ukrainian personnel in Germany, plans to do so as long as Ukraine has demand for it

quote:

BRIGADIER GENERAL PAT RYDER: Good afternoon, everybody. Just a few things here at the top, and then we'll get right to your questions.

Today, the Department of Defense announced a new security assistance package to reaffirm steadfast U.S. support for Ukraine, including to bolster its air defenses and sustain its artillery ammunition needs. This package, which totals up to $1.2 billion, is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative. This UAI package underscores the continued U.S. commitment to meeting Ukraine's most urgent requirements by committing critical capabilities such as air defense systems and munitions, while also building the capacity of Ukraine's Armed Forces to defend its territory and deter Russian aggression over the long-term. This includes procuring additional 155 millimeter artillery rounds and sustainment support to enable Ukraine to better maintain its on-hand systems and equipment. The capabilities in this package include additional air defense systems and munitions equipment to integrate Western air defense launchers, missiles and radars with Ukraine's air defense systems, ammunition for counter-unmanned aerial systems, 155 milliliter artillery rounds, commercial satellite imagery services and support for training, maintenance and sustainment activities.

The United States will continue to work with our allies and our partners to provide Ukraine with capabilities to meet its immediate battlefield needs and longer-term security assistance requirements.

Q: Thanks, General Ryder. You mentioned the commercial satellite imagery services in the Ukraine package. Can you say which companies DOD is planning to contract with for these services? And just more broadly, can you talk about why DOD is kind of leaning on the commercial sector for this rather than just providing its own imagery to the Ukrainians?

GEN. RYDER: Again, I don't have anything specific to announce today, in terms of particular companies that we may or may not be contracting with through this USAI effort. That will be work that's ongoing, certainly as we look at options on how best to support Ukraine. And so when we do have something to announce on that front, we certainly will. Okay, thank you.

Will?

Q: Thank you. Another USAI question -- it -- it mentioned -- the announcement mentioned air defense systems and munitions. Have the specific systems been selected yet or is that something that -- that still is -- has not been done? And also, is there any timeline on these items, especially the air defense (inaudible) 155s, given the -- kind of the urgency of the need for those capabilities in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, sure. So a couple of things there. So again, on today's announcement about the USAI, just to -- and not to belabor the point here, but again, a key difference between that and the presidential drawdown authorities is that the USAI is an authority under which the United States can procure capabilities from industry or partners versus, again, drawing from existing stocks.

So this -- today's announcement is really focused on -- or represents, rather, the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional priority capabilities to Ukraine, which will entail exploring options as how to best support them.

When it comes to providing nearer term support, you've seen us use the PDA to drawdown on existing capabilities and rush those capabilities to Ukraine. So when it comes to things like air defense, for example, you've seen us provide Patriots, NASAMS, we've provided HAWKs. Our allies and partners have provided things like SAM-T, Avengers, counter-UAS.

So we're not waiting to provide Ukraine with air defense capabilities now. The USAI gives us the ability to leverage the power and the capabilities of the private sector in order to support Ukraine's medium and long term security assistance needs.

Yeah?

Q: One quick follow-up on that. So just to -- just to confirm though that -- but the specific systems that are -- that are under -- are mentioned in this announcement have not been determined yet?

GEN. RYDER: Correct. So that is -- that is something that we'll be exploring, and again, when we have something to announce, we will.

Q: Two related questions. Ukrainians say they used a Patriot missile to intercept a Russian Kinzhal, or Killjoy, missile. Was the U.S. able to confirm that? And what did you learn from the intercept of what Putin has called an impossible to intercept missile? And then what is the -- how much concern is there about Ukraine's current stock of air defense munitions? Do they have enough, given the continued Russian barrages?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Oren.

So first of all, when it comes to Ukraine's readiness, its inventory or details of missile intercepts, I'd -- I'd refer you to them. I can confirm that they did down a Russian missile by employing the Patriot missile defense system. As you know, that -- that system is part of a broader range of air defense capabilities that the United States and the international community have provided to Ukraine. I listed out some of those, you know, as part of their multilayered integrated air defense capability.

And so as Secretary Austin highlighted about three weeks ago at the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, the U.S., our allies, our partners, we're going to continue to rush ground-based air defense capabilities and munitions to help Ukraine control its sovereign skies and to help Ukraine defend its citizens from Russian cruise missiles and Iranian drones. And again, as evidenced by today's USAI announcement and the procurement of additional air defense systems and munitions, this is something that we're going to keep after both in the near term and the long term. Thank you.

Q: Thanks, General. Back to Ukraine, last week, I think it was the Ukrainian official said that -- that nine BCTs -- nine Ukrainian BCTs have been trained. I'm just curious, does the -- does that mean that the training that the U.S. was providing has finished? And more broadly, what's the status of the U.S. training effort to -- for the Ukrainian forces?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so -- great question. So training does continue at Grafenwöhr, combined arms training, and I -- I'd refer you to U.S. Army Europe and Africa to provide you with the exact numbers, but it -- I do know that -- that we have upwards of a couple thousand that are going through training there right now.

And again, we will be able to maintain that support and that capability to train Ukrainians as long as the demand is there. So we continue to discuss that with our Ukrainian partners, in terms of sending additional forces.

As always, a consideration as they do that is how many forces do they keep in the field, vice getting trained, but I think, going back to what we've talked about all along during this conflict, is that providing equipment along with training gives the Ukrainians a capability, vice just having equipment. Part of that capability includes the maintenance and sustainment of those capabilities.

And so we are very eager to continue working alongside our allies and our partners to provide that type of training to the Ukrainians going forward. Thanks very much.

Q: I just wanted to double check -- you -- you did confirm -- you did confirm that a Patriot downed this Kinzhal missile ...

GEN. RYDER: Correct.

Q: ... did I hear that right?

GEN. RYDER: Correct.

Q: Was this a U.S.-provided Patriot or one of the -- from the Dutch or Germans?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, in terms of those kinds of operational details, I'd refer you to the Ukrainians.

Q: You can't confirm if the U.S. Patriots are now over there?

GEN. RYDER: The U.S. Patriot is over there.

Q: It is? So you're confirming that ...

GEN. RYDER: I'm confirming U.S. Patriot system is in Ukraine, but in terms of which specific battery they employed, whether it was a U.S.-provided, Dutch-provided, I'd refer you to the Ukrainians.

Q: OK, that's fine. Thanks.

GEN. RYDER: OK, thanks. And last question, we'll go to Will.

Q: Also, I just had a quick follow-up on the -- on the Kinzhal. Is -- is this the first time -- or the first intercept of a hypersonic missile in combat? And do you have the date of the intercept?

GEN. RYDER: I don't, and I -- and I -- again, I'm not going to get into the specifics or trying to characterize it, other than, again, to say we can confirm that the Ukrainians took down this Russian missile with a Patriot missile defense system.

All right, thanks very much, everybody. Appreciate it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Getting weirdly reminiscent of the wars in EVE Online where every participant was terminally online and internal drama would leak out into public meltdowns, leaving you to try to figure out how much they were putting on a show and who it was for.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I would not want to be stationed anywhere near Vilseck/Grafenwoehr anytime in the last 30 years, but I double-triple would not want to be there now. Can't imagine the ops tempo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

or the town with the largest church spire in Europe for that matter

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Voyager I posted:

Getting weirdly reminiscent of the wars in EVE Online where every participant was terminally online and internal drama would leak out into public meltdowns, leaving you to try to figure out how much they were putting on a show and who it was for.

DBRB: okay, everyone charge into that apartment. Go go go go. Wait it's boobytrapped. If you charged you're dead. Bark bark bark

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

GD_American posted:

I would not want to be stationed anywhere near Vilseck/Grafenwoehr anytime in the last 30 years, but I double-triple would not want to be there now. Can't imagine the ops tempo.

Visited family living about 20 km from Grafenwöhr and you can still hear big rapid fire guns through the night from time to time.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Lol I remember living in Vilseck back in the Gulf War 1 timeframe and you had the tank ranges right next door to the housing, one foggy morning one of the M1s missed a turn on the road and drove into someone's house.

Very much a Blues Brothers situation of "How often do they shoot off the guns?" "So often you won't even notice it."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I was bored and browsing TMs and FMs while on shift once, and came to a table of how much we paid German farmers for maneuver damage by what kind of crop it was (I remember sugar beets was by far the priciest). It seemed weird that US tanks would just drive through a German farmer's field, considering the insanely strict range control I had ever dealt with at Graf. The Cold War must have been an amazing time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
swerving into the belgian endive to save uncle sam $15,000

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Highest compensation paid from my unit when I was in the :denmark: Army as a conscript was when our heavy mortar section emplaced in a field at night and fired about eight practice layers from all four tubes.

We would have fired more, but the mink farmer from the other side of the hedgerow came running and stopped the show. Turns out highly strung weasels in cages do not take well to loud nightly noises next to them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

DBRB: okay, everyone charge into that apartment. Go go go go. Wait it's boobytrapped. If you charged you're dead. Bark bark bark

Quit asking me about adding your rorqual to the reimbursement spreadsheet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Quit asking me about adding your rorqual to the reimbursement spreadsheet.

Christ, I actually do SRP out of a gigantic google docs spreadsheet and it's the biggest pain in my rear end. You'd think after all this time there'd be a better way to implement a goonswarm-style SRP system without actually being able to directly clone goonswarm's tooling, but nope. Every other alliance in this game doesn't give nearly a quarter of a poo poo about things like SRP, so no public tooling exists.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Christ, I actually do SRP out of a gigantic google docs spreadsheet and it's the biggest pain in my rear end. You'd think after all this time there'd be a better way to implement a goonswarm-style SRP system without actually being able to directly clone goonswarm's tooling, but nope. Every other alliance in this game doesn't give nearly a quarter of a poo poo about things like SRP, so no public tooling exists.

Sorry, it was the best I could do with the skills I had at the time, and even then I had to pay someone to make a functional spreadsheet for me. My main goal at the time wasn't to make it pretty, just to make it work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Sorry, it was the best I could do with the skills I had at the time, and even then I had to pay someone to make a functional spreadsheet for me. My main goal at the time wasn't to make it pretty, just to make it work.

Oh, dude, I'm reinventing the wheel here with <GEESE>. Mostly because it turns out almost every non-GSF alliance does SRP in the form of a binary "do you get the killmail paid out to you yes/no" thing, so there's no open source tools that can handle things like strategic vs. peacetime vs. shitstack. We've almost got a proper solution working that integrates with Alliance Auth but it's a few weeks out still, so for the past almost a year I've been doing SRP manually through a combination of a Discord channel and a google docs sheet.

If ESI had an endpoint for POSTing corp wallet transfers I could completely automate this poo poo without having to log in but no, that would make my life *too* easy...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Oh, dude, I'm reinventing the wheel here with <GEESE>. Mostly because it turns out almost every non-GSF alliance does SRP in the form of a binary "do you get the killmail paid out to you yes/no" thing, so there's no open source tools that can handle things like strategic vs. peacetime vs. shitstack. We've almost got a proper solution working that integrates with Alliance Auth but it's a few weeks out still, so for the past almost a year I've been doing SRP manually through a combination of a Discord channel and a google docs sheet.

If ESI had an endpoint for POSTing corp wallet transfers I could completely automate this poo poo without having to log in but no, that would make my life *too* easy...

Good luck with that, I won Eve in 2011 and have no intention of going back.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Good luck with that, I won Eve in 2011 and have no intention of going back.

Sounds like a perfect time to re-up and come honk with us in Omist! :v:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mzuri posted:

Highest compensation paid from my unit when I was in the :denmark: Army as a conscript was when our heavy mortar section emplaced in a field at night and fired about eight practice layers from all four tubes.

We would have fired more, but the mink farmer from the other side of the hedgerow came running and stopped the show. Turns out highly strung weasels in cages do not take well to loud nightly noises next to them.

Suddenly the statements about how Finnish practice ranges are particularly appealing back from when Finland was about to join NATO make a lot more sense. We have a maneuver area with no civilians that's about the size of Lolland in Lapland.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 11, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I cannot get over how that game has inspired goons to roll their own ERP stacks from scratch twice (at least) now

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Delta sqad robbed all the Russian soldiers of their delicious raspberries and honey

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like the counter attack in Bakhmut pushed back the Russians 2km.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/10/russians-near-bakhmut-have-retreated-by-up-to-2km-ukrainian-official-says

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Another classic 'there will be consequences' (there will not be consequences) threat as the UK confirms sending the missiles

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/11/russia-vows-adequate-response-after-uk-supplies-cruise-missiles-to-ukraine-18766189/

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Suddenly the statements about how Finnish practice ranges are particularly appealing back from when Finland was about to join NATO make a lot more sense. We have a maneuver area with no civilians that's about the size of Lolland in Lapland.

That sounds awesome! We mainly just puttered around West Jutland and set up in fields and the like - usually after asking the farmer nicely. Sometimes we even got to sleep in their hay loft.

We did also go to a big maneuver area in Oksbøl a couple of times, but most of our fresh air activities and field exercises were on a mix of public and private land.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/chriso_wiki/status/1656565436773793792

I mean I know we weren't far away already but the Russians have now truly entered beyond the realm of parody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this transgression mustn't stand

India should break oil ties and send Penetration Cum Blast immediately

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/intermarium24/status/1656604844981878785?s=20

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/chriso_wiki/status/1656565436773793792

I mean I know we weren't far away already but the Russians have now truly entered beyond the realm of parody.

Just doing straight up gang colors rules now.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallis has confirmed in Parliament that Storm Shadow cruise missiles have been sent to Ukraine and are either there already or on the way.

He added that the missiles would be for use "within Ukrainian sovereign territory".

So I guess things are going to get spicy in Crimea !

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Another classic 'there will be consequences' (there will not be consequences) threat as the UK confirms sending the missiles

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/11/russia-vows-adequate-response-after-uk-supplies-cruise-missiles-to-ukraine-18766189/

Oh no, maybe they will lift the restrictions on conducting assassinations in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

A favorable outcome in Ukraine is, technically, a consequence.