Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Shinji2015 posted:

For me, the annoying thing about it is that Alex can say that he was tricked by a deep fake and for once he'll be right.

You'll be happy to know that in the may 4th episode, he says he wasn't fooled by the call at all and 30 seconds in he knew what was going on. He then mentions that the only way it could seem like he was fooled is if they "edit the clip".

Prank Stallone says this:

https://twitter.com/theCJS/status/1653892448366776321

So look forward to some good old fashioned: "They edited the clips! They've taken me out of context!" Like always.

Edit: It kinda wouldn't shock me if he tried to play the "They deepfaked my side of the conversation as well!" card. It was a really bad idea to do this to Alex. It's going to give him a limitless supply of ammo and excuses going forward. He was always gonna lie anyway, but the fact that he has actually been targeted with AI now will lend at least a tiny amount of credibility to his future claims that it's "happened again".

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My listen to the back catalog has brought me to the early COVID era. Weird time to revisit. Episode I just listened to was the origin of the bright spots. Was surprised it was a Dan invention after months of Jordan opening the show with random questions for Dan.

I also like this part where Dan teases an upcoming "big interview" coming up on the Friday episode and has Jordan guess.

Jordan: It's gotta be disappointing...
Dan: Yep
Jordan: I'm going with Nick Fuentes or Stevie P
Me: I bet it's Ted Nugent
Alex: Shemane Nugent [Ted's wife] is going to break her silence on COVID

I was so close!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mr Scumbag posted:

You'll be happy to know that in the may 4th episode, he says he wasn't fooled by the call at all and 30 seconds in he knew what was going on. He then mentions that the only way it could seem like he was fooled is if they "edit the clip".

Prank Stallone says this:

https://twitter.com/theCJS/status/1653892448366776321

So look forward to some good old fashioned: "They edited the clips! They've taken me out of context!" Like always.

Edit: It kinda wouldn't shock me if he tried to play the "They deepfaked my side of the conversation as well!" card. It was a really bad idea to do this to Alex. It's going to give him a limitless supply of ammo and excuses going forward. He was always gonna lie anyway, but the fact that he has actually been targeted with AI now will lend at least a tiny amount of credibility to his future claims that it's "happened again".

As much as Alex kept bringing up how Prank was talking sexually to him as Tucker, my right-wing projection radar went off. Alex is used to initiating phone sex with Tucker and it went wrong, this time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The call's been posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usl7bWUt3tg&t=107s

Most surprising part is uh... Alex wasn't lying about it. Sounds pretty much like what he said it was.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The call's been posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usl7bWUt3tg&t=107s

Most surprising part is uh... Alex wasn't lying about it. Sounds pretty much like what he said it was.

Jesus loving Christ. That's it? This Prank Stallone sucks at this. I did some soundboard prank calls with a buddy once in like 1999 using Winamp, Kindergarten Cop clips and a headphone duct taped to a landline phone and they were leagues better than this garbage. And somehow he's also more dishonest than Alex loving Jones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's one of the worst soundboard pranks I've ever heard.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
And he gets rich doing that?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Beats having a real job I guess but yeesh

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There is something vaguely amusing about how streamers have basically reinvented the shock jock radio dj, right down to having prank calls that mostly suck and are either fake or not funny

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well I think I have gone as far back into the episodes as I can stand. Episode ~150 is my limit.

It probably won't be a popular opinion but I'm really not a fan of "high energy personalities" so even at the best of times, Jordan's shrieking and verbal tics are too much for me and I have to make liberal use of the "fast forward 15 seconds" button whenever he sets himself off, which let's be honest, is very often. I also don't really think his contributions are all that interesting or illuminating beyond his usefulness as a foil and someone to turn the show into a conversation. But the further back I go, the more manic he is and it's kind of ridiculous how bad he was earlier on. So, so loud.

At least it means he's managed to get himself under control better over the years but I really find the earlier episodes to be completely unlistenable, which sucks.

I guess it's a testament to how good the podcast is and how interesting it is that I'm willing to suffer through a significant part of it, though. You may now dogpile me.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 9, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Well if you're American maybe you've forgotten what it was like during the Trump presidency because we all sounded like Jordan back then. Everyday was a new outrage from president never-shuts-up and his cabinet of white nationalists

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
He can be a bit screechy but it's fine. He's energetic and interested and (mostly) happy, it's a nice switch up from the default voice of most leftish media people, which is detached, laconic irony verging on major depression

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

His verbal tics drive me nuts but I live with it. If you haven't noticed any consider yourself blessed.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mauser posted:

Well if you're American maybe you've forgotten what it was like during the Trump presidency because we all sounded like Jordan back then. Everyday was a new outrage from president never-shuts-up and his cabinet of white nationalists

I was going to say, if anything the hardest part of going back and listening to the old series on the 2016 election or Sandy Hook was the constant "I'd like to see Trump wiggle out of this jam" when covering the sometimes completely forgotten scandal of the day around the episode.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Well I think I have gone as far back into the episodes as I can stand. Episode ~150 is my limit.

It probably won't be a popular opinion but I'm really not a fan of "high energy personalities" so even at the best of times, Jordan's shrieking and verbal tics are too much for me and I have to make liberal use of the "fast forward 15 seconds" button whenever he sets himself off, which let's be honest, is very often. I also don't really think his contributions are all that interesting or illuminating beyond his usefulness as a foil and someone to turn the show into a conversation. But the further back I go, the more manic he is and it's kind of ridiculous how bad he was earlier on. So, so loud.

At least it means he's managed to get himself under control better over the years but I really find the earlier episodes to be completely unlistenable, which sucks.

I guess it's a testament to how good the podcast is and how interesting it is that I'm willing to suffer through a significant part of it, though. You may now dogpile me.

I completely agree with you and I listen just because of Dan and just kinda put up with Jordan. He seems like a nice guy but he's really irritating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I completely agree with you and I listen just because of Dan and just kinda put up with Jordan. He seems like a nice guy but he's really irritating.

I think because of the nature of the show and his role in it, he often says things without fully thinking them through.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think because of the nature of the show and his role in it, he often says things without fully thinking them through.

The feeling I get a lot of the time with Jordan is that even he knows he doesn't have a lot to add to things much of the time but still tries simply because he feels like he has to speak to make the show work and coupled with his manic personality it leads to him just talking way more than he needs to.

He's obviously not a dumb guy, but so much of what he says is so redundant and long-winded because there's only so much you can say to respond to Alex saying a dumb thing. I feel like most of the time, he just tries to repeat it or contextualize it but using 10x the words and I don't see what value it adds to the show.

It's not always like that and sometimes he has something a bit more meaningful to add without extended tangents, but the show gets bogged down a lot with stuff like that when it doesn't really need to.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mr Scumbag posted:

The feeling I get a lot of the time with Jordan is that even he knows he doesn't have a lot to add to things much of the time but still tries simply because he feels like he has to speak to make the show work and coupled with his manic personality it leads to him just talking way more than he needs to.

He's obviously not a dumb guy, but so much of what he says is so redundant and long-winded because there's only so much you can say to respond to Alex saying a dumb thing. I feel like most of the time, he just tries to repeat it or contextualize it but using 10x the words and I don't see what value it adds to the show.

It's not always like that and sometimes he has something a bit more meaningful to add without extended tangents, but the show gets bogged down a lot with stuff like that when it doesn't really need to.

Maybe, but without him we wouldn't always get the necessary catharsis of someone yelling, "gently caress YOU!" at Alex whenever he starts being transphobic.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

"gently caress you. I got plenty of things to say but at the end of the day gently caress you and your New World Order!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I largely agree with you. Jordan says a lot of dumb poo poo (see : my bitching about banjoes), but I think it's important to keep in mind that his role in the show is kind of to be "the dumb guy". Not in the sense that he's not smart, but the whole point is he's an audience surrogate that's processing and questioning the same information as the listener in real time.

That's not a super easy role to fill and I try to keep that in mind whenever I start to feel myself getting annoyed at Jordan. It's very easy to get frustrated at the times he doesn't catch onto things as quick as me while never giving him credit when he's on the ball or even understanding things I'm not.

That said, I still want to Clockwork Orange him into listening to Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe until he stops offending against the saintly banjo. poo poo absolutely rules.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

With mod approval, I thought I'd post the GoFundMe link for Erica Lafferty, one of the parents of the Sandy Hook children. Since she's going through lymphoma and the lawsuit against Alex and InfoWars has ground to a screeching halt thanks to the bankruptcy bullshit, she's asking for help:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-lafferty-beat-lymphoma-survivorssurvive

Thankfully Wonks have stepped up for most of it, but I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone wants to throw a couple of bucks to get it over that hill.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah thats what annoys me the most. Who the hell starts a sentence without knowing how you are going to end it, which I feel like he does a lot. Is it some need to sound intelligent? Because it doesn't.

It's a race between my love of Dan and his immense work and Jordan commenting in regard to me keeping up with this podcast.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Meanwhile I adore Jordan because I feel a kinship in my rage and irritation. I also adore Dan for sharing a birthday with me and having this cool pissed off sternness when he’s real displeased.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Yeah thats what annoys me the most. Who the hell starts a sentence without knowing how you are going to end it, which I feel like he does a lot. Is it some need to sound intelligent? Because it doesn't.

It's a race between my love of Dan and his immense work and Jordan commenting in regard to me keeping up with this podcast.

This discussion is happening in the thread for the dollop as well, because gareth sometimes will start reacting to the first part of a sentence by dave, before dave gets to a very important part

This is especially apparent in some of the episodes of the past times, their sub podcast where they read and react to an old newspaper. Sometimes a word whose definition has changed between then and now will radically change the point of a bit that Gareth will go on. Unfortunately, that is what happens when one person knows the script and the other is purposefully unaware, especially in this podcast, live-to-tape reaction format that the dollop and knowledge fight share.

I am of the opinion that that is just how this goes sometimes. If they don’t jump on stuff, they sometimes miss the chance to do a funny thing that everyone will enjoy. Sometimes they overplay their bit but i think have typically hit more than they missed, especially as both have matured as practiced participants in this particular, very niche format

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m glad this “one smart white guy and one dumb white guy make goofs for a hour” experimental podcast format has been killed here before it could get into greater podcast ecology. Imagine the damage.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
why, it would have no natural predators, and could reproduce unchecked into the greater biosphere, completely supplanting all other podcast types

Mother of god

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

"gently caress you. I got plenty of things to say but at the end of the day gently caress you and your New World Order!"

...and all your SHEEIT

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Heres a question I've always wondered. Where did the "a little breaky" clip and the "i wanna walk out of here and never come back" clips come from?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shageletic posted:

Who the hell starts a sentence without knowing how you are going to end it, which I feel like he does a lot.

Humans in general, I'd say. I know I certainly do, and a lot of people I know definitely seem like they have at times too. I'd hazard a guess you do too, frankly, even if you have to stop and think about your interactions with people in order to find some instances of it. If anything, it seems more of an attempt to sound intelligent to say that you consider everything you ever say before you ever speak, and don't just react at least sometimes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh, we've come back around to "I find Jordan annoying" talk again?

The show doesn't work without the snap response from someone that didn't* know what they were getting into. Without a foil, it would just be a lecture, and while maybe an argument could be made that Jordan shouldn't scream so much, HOW COULD YOU NOT!?!?

*Jordan stops saying "and I don't know anything about Alex Jones" somewhere in or just before the 180s, I noticed, as I've been listening to the back catalogue.

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 11, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

FFT posted:

*Jordan stops saying "and I don't know anything about Alex Jones" somewhere in or just before the 180s, I noticed, as I've been listening to the back catalogue.

I'm in the 400s and he still says it pretty regularly. I think maybe the introduction of the bright spots might be where it actually stopped. I'll listen for if he busts it out again.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

To be clear, he starts saying things like "and I only know what you've told me about Alex Jones"

They had a conversation in the intro somewhere in the 150s or so where Jordan brings up that he does not know nothing about Alex Jones any more.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m disgusted by jones all the time and I’ve been tempted to scream maybe a dozen times ever. The “Jordan speaks for all of us” bit is so tired.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

For those of us he does speak for, we feel very strongly about it (because we feel very strongly about a lot of things) (thus the screaming).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

0konner posted:

I’m disgusted by jones all the time and I’ve been tempted to scream maybe a dozen times ever. The “Jordan speaks for all of us” bit is so tired.

Maybe you show anger and frustration differently from other people

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ZeusCannon posted:

Heres a question I've always wondered. Where did the "a little breaky" clip and the "i wanna walk out of here and never come back" clips come from?

I don't know about the breaky one (I asked someone and was told it wasn't that remarkable in context) but the latter is from one of the episodes in the 631-633 stretch where Alex is having a perfectly normal time.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016
The KF boys got a big shoutout in this Vice article about Ms. Lafferty's ongoing struggles.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg5m9b/alex-jones-owes-her-millions-of-dollars-she-has-to-crowdfund-her-cancer-treatment-on-gofundme

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The gofundme was at like 75-80k before the Wonks started donating in force.

I'm sure it wasn't exclusively a KF bump especially after that article went up but that's fine work all the same.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Oh, we've come back around to "I find Jordan annoying" talk again?

The show doesn't work without the snap response from someone that didn't* know what they were getting into. Without a foil, it would just be a lecture, and while maybe an argument could be made that Jordan shouldn't scream so much, HOW COULD YOU NOT!?!?

I guess, but I'm not necessarily arguing it should just be Dan alone, I just find Jordan's specific shtick really annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Dan and Ian should trade Jordans for a while