Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the recommendations! I've got some new stuff to tool around with. Brutal Orchestra looks fun :regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Elblanco posted:

I'm looking for a survival game with RPG elements like stats and gear and such. I want to play something in this genre with a friend that loves them but i need a bit more crunch to it myself. Any ideas?

Nth-ing that Valheim is exactly the game you're looking for.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
When you've extracted the last bit of joy out of Valheim, go check out V Rising.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Between people buzzing about Fromsoft returning to Armored Core and some locally discounted model kits, I've gotten in the mood to try some robot games. Only thing is, I know nothing about any, and Armored Core seems too fast with too many things to keep track of for me, Mechwarrior is first person and I don't really like that, and I can never make heads or tails over which Gundam game is A Game with a campaign and not a fighting game or some freemium thing.

Can I get some recommendations?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Between people buzzing about Fromsoft returning to Armored Core and some locally discounted model kits, I've gotten in the mood to try some robot games. Only thing is, I know nothing about any, and Armored Core seems too fast with too many things to keep track of for me, Mechwarrior is first person and I don't really like that, and I can never make heads or tails over which Gundam game is A Game with a campaign and not a fighting game or some freemium thing.

Mechwarrior can be played 3rd person

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did enjoy mech-adjacent Zone of the Enders - straightforward mechanics, big robot fights.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Can anyone recommend god co-op games, particularly something about more strategy oriented?

A friend and I like to play through things like Civ, CK3, and Factorio when we have some spare time, but looking to change things up a bit now. Aside from Factorio, neither of us is big on the survival genre, so games like Valheim, Subnautica, etc are out. Ideally, if there was something like XCOM2 but multiplayer, it would probably be perfect, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
AI War 1 and 2, if you're open to something that is more of a traditional RTS than something like CK3 is.

KNR
May 3, 2009
For co-op turnbased squad combat there's Wasteland 3, Original Sin 1&2 and Solasta. They're all a lot more rpgs than strategy games, though.

For turn-based strategy games, you mentioned playing civ together. The newer Age of Wonders series (3/planetfall/4) never grabbed me in part because of their emphasis on single scenario random skirmish maps, but focus on tactical combat and could be played in coop (allies can join in on the tactical fights, at least).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wartales has a co-op mode where you work together running a medieval mercenary company, with combat that is turn based tactical similar to XCOM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gin_Rummy posted:

Can anyone recommend god co-op games, particularly something about more strategy oriented?

A friend and I like to play through things like Civ, CK3, and Factorio when we have some spare time, but looking to change things up a bit now. Aside from Factorio, neither of us is big on the survival genre, so games like Valheim, Subnautica, etc are out. Ideally, if there was something like XCOM2 but multiplayer, it would probably be perfect, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Satisfactory might work. Open-world factory building. It's technically a survival game, but it's more about getting your industry going and expanding your infrastructure geometrically.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gin_Rummy posted:

Maybe AoW4? I'm not sure what the MP is like, but it sits between XCOM and Total War. Like Total War it has a strategic layer that exists mostly to generate tactical battles. Most battles have less than 6 units on each side and the largest only have 18, two less than most Total War fights.

Or hmmm, Divinity Original Sin 2 is a turn-based tactical RPG built from the ground up to support multiplayer. You each control 2 out of 4 characters on your side and fight D&Desque battles. The people who like it really like it because it encourages crazy power-gaming shenanigans like using telekinesis.

Satisfactory is sort of like a 3D Factorio. But where Factorio is all about building at scale, Satisfactory really wants you to build only the smallest jankiest solutions and then go exploring while waiting for your design to grind out enough science flask equivalents. The problem with this is each tier builds on the next like Factorio, so you do eventually have to build at scale. Unfortunately, the entire interface is designed for small artisanal designs so building large is mostly an exercise in extremely tedious repetition mixed with often frustrating trial and error trying to get stuff to go in straightish lines so it lines up with the all the other copies. You can probably get 20-30 hours of play before you start bumping up against that sort of thing though. Except for power. Building enough power generators is just painful from the word go.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

i recommend checking out mindustry

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there any games sort of like Desktopia, where you can have them running in a second monitor or the bottom of your screen, and just check in occasionally/watch your little city grow with some input from you? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2018130/Desktopia_A_Desktop_Village_Simulator/

Regrettably, desktopia doesn't seem to be very good but I like the idea.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's kinda the whole category of 'clicker' games, also called idle games or incremental games. Cookie Clicker was not the first but it was the the one that got really popular and kicked off the whole trend. It has both a free web browser version and one for $5 on steam.

It doesn't have that theme of little mans running around though so if that's specifically the part you want IDK what to recommend you.
A lot of the stuff under the clicker tag on steam is like free-to-play pc ports of super p2w mobile games because for whatever reason that genre turned out to be really great for spamming microtransactions at people.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 9, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's kinda the whole category of 'clicker' games, also called idle games or incremental games. Cookie Clicker was not the first but it was the the one that got really popular and kicked off the whole trend. It has both a free web browser version and one for $5 on steam.

It doesn't have that theme of little mans running around though so if that's specifically the part you want IDK what to recommend you.
A lot of the stuff under the clicker tag on steam is like free-to-play pc ports of super p2w mobile games because for whatever reason that genre turned out to be really great for spamming microtransactions at people.

Oh yeah, sorry, I should clarify I am reasonably familiar with idle games, and little mans running around is specifically what I'm looking for - basically just something to be a sort of gamified ant farm I can look at every so often without being super distracted. Most of the idle games I've played don't really have much in the way of visual interest. (But still not sandbox - eg not world box)

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 9, 2023

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I posted the same thing about half a year ago, and found some fun games since then.

Daemon ex Machina is kinda similar to Armored Core, but easier. Think of a mix between AC and Monster Hunter for the gameplay loop. Also allows you to build and paint your robot however you like, so you are supposed to end up with a kit-bashed killerbot.

Vox Machinae is a VR game that puts you in the cockpit of a big rear end mech, but also plays fine on a normal monitor. But it is first person, so that might not be great for you.

SD Gundam Battle Alliance is a fun action game, but its robots are cute 'deformed' versions of themselves and the story expects you to have a pretty big affinity for the Gundam shows, since it throws them all together in a big multiverse pile up.

Zone of the Enders is really cool. Play the first one emulated, and play the second one in its remastered form. These are fast, agile mechs that zip around, not slow clunky machines. And story by Kojima, so that's always cool.

Okay, those are the easily accessible and modern big games. But here are some more odd ones:

Hardcore Mecha is a really cool sidescroller, similar to games like Cybernator on SNES. It has incredibly tight controls, a Gundam-esque story that is pretty charming and comes complete with a hefty horde mode that allows you to take all machines featured in the game for a spin. I spend more time in this then I care to admit, and will probably replay it in the future.

Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut is for the Macross fans. It's a space shooter where your fighter can transform into a robot and unleash massive missile barages. It's fun, but not great.

Project Nimbus is Ace Combat 5, if all the jets were mechs. At times feels more like a fangame, but I picked it up for 3 euro and that felt exactly right.

Brigador is fantastic and plays similar to something like Desert Strike. Beware that the devs had a whole controversy that is too long to write here, but involved one of their members being transphobic and this not being handled very well. Shame, because the game is great (though hard as balls).

Oh, and Titanfall 2, of course. The singleplayer is amazing, but these days I still fire up the multiplayer to play the horde mode where you and your team have individual robots and you fight of waves of enemies. It is like that one heroic last stand in every mecha anime, spun into its own gamemode.

There's tons more, but it also depends what platforms you play on and how far back in time you are willing to go.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Oh, and Titanfall 2, of course. The singleplayer is amazing, but these days I still fire up the multiplayer to play the horde mode where you and your team have individual robots and you fight of waves of enemies. It is like that one heroic last stand in every mecha anime, spun into its own gamemode.

Titanfall 2 might be the best single player mech game of the generation. My only gripe is it barely feels like a mech game. It's a 1st person death-match game at heart so when you're in the mech it still feels like an FPS but with a fancier HUD and less wall running.

Still a drat fine game by any measure though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Titanfall 2 might be the best single player mech game of the generation. My only gripe is it barely feels like a mech game. It's a 1st person death-match game at heart so when you're in the mech it still feels like an FPS but with a fancier HUD and less wall running.

Still a drat fine game by any measure though.

True; my dream mech game would have the flexibility and smoothness of Titanfall, but combined with the mechanics of MechWarrior. The whole thing with mech games is that they are a simulation of something that doesn't exist, so it really has to sell the fantasy. I would looooove a Titanfall that lets us tweak the machines, actively reroute power and manage all sorts of fiddly subsystems.

But one thing that I really like, and maybe the thing that pushes it over the top for me: the mechs are scaled in a believable manner. They're tiny, but the exact limit at which it stops making sense to use a bipedal machine.

Why yes, I played the poo poo out of Heavy Gear 2 as a kid, why do you ask?

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
What about tactical planning games like the old Rainbow Six / Ghost Recon, SWAT games, or Doorkickers.

I see there's GROUND BRANCH in development by the old RSix devs, and Door Kickers 2 is in early access, just found Phantom Brigade which is kinda similar I guess, anything else I missed?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

i3lueHorneT posted:

What about tactical planning games like the old Rainbow Six / Ghost Recon, SWAT games, or Doorkickers.

I see there's GROUND BRANCH in development by the old RSix devs, and Door Kickers 2 is in early access, just found Phantom Brigade which is kinda similar I guess, anything else I missed?

I assume you've played Frozen Synapse 1 and/or 2?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

i3lueHorneT posted:

Ground Branch is incredible and well worth picking up, but it doesn't have the pre-mission arrow drawing planning of the old R6 games. It's an FPS but with obsessively realistic weapons. Your arms get tired if you spend too long aiming, how far forwards / back you mount scopes affects your sight picture, etc. etc. Highly recommended, but don't be expecting tactical planning except via communicating with human team mates (which is pretty essential.) I think maybe AI team mates are on the roadmap, but a long way down it if so.

There's also Ready Or Not. Similar vein, but police themed and not as detailed. This one does give you AI squad mates you can give orders to on the fly though, including breaching, room entry and clearing, all that stuff. It has mod support, so lots of old Swat 4 maps etc. are available in jt, too. Enemies can be a bit spongy sometimes and it has some dumb design decisions (I think) but it's still a ton of fun, and may be closer to a Rainbow 6 feel versus GB's Ghost Recon.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

i3lueHorneT posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1269020/No_Plan_B/

There's a demo you can try out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

The most infuriating part of the game was how much it was constantly nagging me to do the base building bit, in a game supposedly about exploration. Incredibly schizophrenic game design right there.

thats because it was initially just about exploration and the base building was added after launch, at least in part because the exploration on its own was pretty boring. but then it got added sort of in chunks as parts of different updates, so the base building experience itself was very schizophrenic because you'd have these different sets of pieces that sometimes "clicked" with each other and sometimes couldnt be lined up at all. on top of that they've redone the base building interface itself like 3 times.

imo they've never solved the core problem of the game, which is that once you've flown around and seen the major planet types you quickly realize that you're just seeing the same poo poo over and over again with slightly different color palettes. you can go on a quest to the center of the galaxy, and then you just end up in another galaxy thats pretty much the same except for a slightly different ratio of basic star types. they had to go into base building and all that because there's just not much to explore

now there's a lot of multiplayer stuff, a whole new "town management" thing, and some other new poo poo but it still hasn't solved that basic issue. at least with the combo of multiplayer and base building, seeing the bases and farms other people build is something to do.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 10, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sobatchja Morda posted:

True; my dream mech game would have the flexibility and smoothness of Titanfall, but combined with the mechanics of MechWarrior. The whole thing with mech games is that they are a simulation of something that doesn't exist, so it really has to sell the fantasy. I would looooove a Titanfall that lets us tweak the machines, actively reroute power and manage all sorts of fiddly subsystems.

But one thing that I really like, and maybe the thing that pushes it over the top for me: the mechs are scaled in a believable manner. They're tiny, but the exact limit at which it stops making sense to use a bipedal machine.

Why yes, I played the poo poo out of Heavy Gear 2 as a kid, why do you ask?

Hawken had a good mech feel, but unfortunately multiplayer only and without the management aspect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

i3lueHorneT posted:

You might want to have your eye on Tactical Breach Wizards, which is still in development. The dev's previous game Heat Signature is all about breaking into spaceships and dealing with or bypassing the guards using a wide variety of sci-fi tricks (and the ability to pause at any time).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i3lueHorneT posted:

Would stealth games like Shadow Tactics or Desperados III work?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might want to have your eye on Tactical Breach Wizards, which is still in development. The dev's previous game Heat Signature is all about breaking into spaceships and dealing with or bypassing the guards using a wide variety of sci-fi tricks (and the ability to pause at any time).

Heat Signature is dope. It's the rare infiltration game where getting spotted and setting off alarms amps up the action and encourages creative improvisation, instead of the "got spotted, now I gotta hide for 30 seconds until everybody forgets I exist" bit. Sometimes your improvisation results in the ship being blown to pieces (possibly by mistake) and you drifting around in space, but somehow you accomplished the mission. It's by the guy who made Gunpoint and has the same dry sense of humor.

Someone here once described it as you playing Hotline Miami against NPCs who are playing FTL, and that checks out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm looking for a game where the NPCs are capable of building and doing interesting things independently, so I can leave some place for a while and then come back and see how it's developed. In games like The Sims, I always find that they're too passive when the player isn't directly interfering. Does anything fit the bill? Rimworld, maybe?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chamale posted:

I'm looking for a game where the NPCs are capable of building and doing interesting things independently, so I can leave some place for a while and then come back and see how it's developed. In games like The Sims, I always find that they're too passive when the player isn't directly interfering. Does anything fit the bill? Rimworld, maybe?

State of Decay does this to a degree

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chamale posted:

I would love to play this game too, but it doesn't exist.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
A small group of four of us are looking for a new online co-op, and I'm hoping someone might be able to throw some ideas my way. We've had a great six months milking Back 4 Blood dry and found it to be a welcome distraction from middle age strife. I also work with some ASN young adults who love gaming, but need a bit of guidance so sometimes they join, but unusual to be more than 4 people at once.

I've played plenty of Valheim, Minecraft, Raft, Forest, Long Dark, NMS, and loved them, but collectively I think we want something a bit more "couple of missions and done" with some kind of progression and development. Sea of Thieves was good until a pubbie caused a problem.

We do have some limitations:

- We need something that's crossplay PC and XBOX
- It needs to be private co-op. No general public access.
- Language (to an extent), Blood and Gore is ok, but sexual violence and drug references can be a problem. This tends to mean things like GTA are not ok.

I've looked at a few and come up with few answers. We had been looking forward to Redfall, but, well, two sessions and we all agreed it was 'not good'.

Any pointers?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pOtShOtWilly posted:

A small group of four of us are looking for a new online co-op, and I'm hoping someone might be able to throw some ideas my way. We've had a great six months milking Back 4 Blood dry and found it to be a welcome distraction from middle age strife. I also work with some ASN young adults who love gaming, but need a bit of guidance so sometimes they join, but unusual to be more than 4 people at once.

I've played plenty of Valheim, Minecraft, Raft, Forest, Long Dark, NMS, and loved them, but collectively I think we want something a bit more "couple of missions and done" with some kind of progression and development. Sea of Thieves was good until a pubbie caused a problem.

We do have some limitations:

- We need something that's crossplay PC and XBOX
- It needs to be private co-op. No general public access.
- Language (to an extent), Blood and Gore is ok, but sexual violence and drug references can be a problem. This tends to mean things like GTA are not ok.

I've looked at a few and come up with few answers. We had been looking forward to Redfall, but, well, two sessions and we all agreed it was 'not good'.

Any pointers?

Deep Rock Galactic, if space beers don't count as a drug

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic, if space beers don't count as a drug

Seconded. Just be aware that for PC/Xbox cross-play the PC players will need to buy the game from the built in Microsoft Store in Windows. The Steam version won't work.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Nth-ing Deep Rock Galactic.

Other possibility would be 7 days to die, though that's going to be more like Valheim with the persistent world rather than mission-based stuff. You might also want to check out the borderlands games, the games basically have a hub and mission structure.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Factorio, while not exactly what you mean, is awesome co-op. Everyone just does their own thing to progress the overall state of the system. Very easy to have someone save the game and host.

Edit I don't read posts but factorio kicks rear end so I'll leave it up. No cross play unfortunately

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There's a free Diablo 4 demo y'all could try this weekend to see if it's your poo poo

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
Thanks -

Diablo 4 we're very much looking forward to (and if it's as good as previous, will work for us). I'm personally as poor as a church mouse, so I might have to wait for slightly more reasonable price point than the fresh-out-the-station rate. The demo will get a thrashing, though.

I gave 7 Days a look - thought it was a bit janky, but could see it might work with some of us, but not all.

I've never heard of Deep Rock until today - so thank you. It's on Game Pass which is a bonus and looking at the descriptions and reviews could be right up our rue. Will give it a try tonight!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've not played it in years, but Warframe was the go-to "knock out a few missions" co-op game for me, my brother and my ex for a long time. You can set your lobby to friends- or invite-only.

It's a free-to-play game about parkour robots with guns and superpowers, and is as easy or as tryhard as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
One of these days I gotta reinstall Warframe and watch all the new insane cutscenes.