Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

having now watched half of the video essay you generously posted, besides some "eh that doesn't really apply to me" thoughts whenever the essayist made some general comments about gamers & hype, i'm skeptical if month- or year-long hype is all that comparable to the monkey-button-raisin relationship

You should watch the second half of the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well now I won’t!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Video essays FTL.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Video essays are good when they're actually well-written essays that use the video format to enhance the presentation. See: Jacob Geller

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sarah z owns

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Noah Caldwell-Gervais just released another multi-hour video where he rambles with uncorrected audio mistakes over shots of the western US landscape and talks about fallout and I am *loving here for it*

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this is a 40 minute video about elevators in video games and it is epic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do not post 40 minute You Tube videos about games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d rather just play a video game for forty minutes

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
try having more than one screen dipshits

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you watch formula one races!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feels like we are due another Tim Rogers review

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Relax Or DIE posted:

try having more than one screen dipshits

I’m trying to be a more focused g*mer. Living the One screen life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:hmmyes:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thats right. dont post anything less than 6 hour videos

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Someone forgot to pay his therapy bill?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I work a lot and SA Forums is my only source of video game happenings

some of you cant help and post Epic Game Journalist Moments so Id rather not have to explain to my boss why Im looking at dire World War 2 photographs on break :whitewater:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Well now I won’t!

having now watched the video essay the essayist seems to conclude the opposite of what mr tea says? Tbh I didn't follow his logic all the way, towards the end he says "lower expectations almost always led to a happier emotional state", but then says that being hyped is good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wizard2 posted:

I work a lot and SA Forums is my only source of video game happenings

some of you cant help and post Epic Game Journalist Moments so Id rather not have to explain to my boss why Im looking at dire World War 2 photographs on break :whitewater:
bosses like that kind of thing though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You're on break, do what feels right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

thats right. dont post anything less than 6 hour videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ74BbTyK38

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Say what you will about the horrors of WW2 but it only lasted 5 years, whereas the Console Wars are everlasting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The hundred years console wars

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais just released another multi-hour video where he rambles with uncorrected audio mistakes over shots of the western US landscape and talks about fallout and I am *loving here for it*

it was honestly very charming when he made an earnest attempt to incorporate proper audio balancing and cut out the sound of his mic button for like 2 or 3 videos without realizing that part of what people are coming to him for is the fact that he still feels like a guy taping together these essays in his garage with a $50 budget and a free weekend. the fact that the video opens with lime green times new roman font for a titlecard is the perfect embodiment of that aesthetic

his lincoln highway vid was a fascinating watch because it really helped me to comprehend why someone would so fervently believe in the american dream and the (theoretical) ideals it embodies. understanding the american landscape and the history it carries is a necessary precursor to that idealism, which isn't something i could ever fully grasp living up in canada, especially when the majority of information i get about america is, perhaps not unfairly, delivered with a veil of deep cynicism and a hint of underlying despair

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

[Bravely] Explaining the entire Yugioh ban list is good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Lol he played Fallout 4 so much that it broke him and I haven't been able to really watch him sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

they're called "video" essays, not "gonna read this out loud and the gameplay footage on screen might or might not have anything to do with what i'm currently saying" essays

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What separates a documentary from a video essay? Guest interviews?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the greatest thing i appreciate about noah is that he is my complete antithesis in terms of game enjoyment, in that loin-girding challenge and repetitive redoing in search of perfection is exactly what i come to video games for, whereas the same thing makes him want to throw his computer out the window

there's not a lot of people who feel that way with the same level of eloquence, and having that broader perspective is valuable in its own right for understanding why my own tastes and preferences sometimes seem to clash so horribly with other peoples'

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hatty posted:

about 7 out of 10

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hatty posted:

Well in this example, Noah C-G makes documentaries (the road trips he documents (haven't watched any of them but I assume that's what he's doing)) and video essays (essays with audio/visual components)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Electric Phantasm posted:

[Bravely] Explaining the entire Yugioh ban list is good

It is

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

We got another Defunctland last night, so I'm happy. I now know way too much information about The Wiggles https://youtu.be/WmWCAujwbrE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tfw when the wiggles car starts moving, incredibly slowly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the greatest distinction between the two is probably that documentaries tend to try and claim a certain degree of objectivity - a presentation of the facts as-is with the inclusion of more primary sources like interviews and on-site recording - whereas video essays generally don't bother and assume that you're watching this thing specifically for someone's unique opinion

this is a line that has admittedly gotten fuzzier over the years due to the professionalization of content creation; there's no real cutoff point where dan olson's work stopped being video essays and started becoming documentaries, but it's a shift in the style and presentation of his work that's obvious on rewatch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For real seeing a card I thought was poo poo as a kid enable some degenerate poo poo in modern Yugioh owns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Video Essay has never been a thing, they've always just been poor documentaries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This is a good video

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/1656333454722879488?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Video Essay has never been a thing, they've always just been poor documentaries.

Sometimes they're good documentaries. Rowan J Coleman makes scifi retrospectives that are loving great, high quality stuff.