Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

The bluecheck brigade are crowing about tucker getting 70 million views for his "I'm on twitter now" video, but I wonder (doubt) if that audience is going to stick around once the novelty wears off and he starts releasing videos longer than three minutes.

honestly it's probably 98% bots on that. I would question organic interest if his entire following was from tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dont think 3 min videos are a negative thing given how both left and right have super long videos on youtube.

but twitters video beepboops under the hood sucks poo poo and even just short clips buffer or fail to load. good job musk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like this isn’t going to last long

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Probably about 3 minutes :rimshot:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can absolutely see galaxy-brained jeenyus wonderboy trying to rewrite Twitter to be the new YouTube so he can host Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour. That....."man".....has no end to his hubris and desire to promote bigotry.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/cristianafarias/status/1656361886680481793?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but good lord

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Because I'm a turbonerd, I was at a LAN party with my high school buds on NYE 1999. We had a countdown clock to Y2K, half anticipating everything was going to collapse. We were silent in anticipation as the clock rolled over.

Nothing happened and we went right back to playing Action Quake 2 and forgot about it.

I imagine it'll be something like that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Great, more scared people ready to shoot at any shadows.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

notwithoutmyanus posted:

honestly it's probably 98% bots on that. I would question organic interest if his entire following was from tv.

Just under 7 million real views sounds like a lot to me

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doctor Yiff posted:

Because I'm a turbonerd, I was at a LAN party with my high school buds on NYE 1999. We had a countdown clock to Y2K, half anticipating everything was going to collapse. We were silent in anticipation as the clock rolled over.

Nothing happened and we went right back to playing Action Quake 2 and forgot about it.

I imagine it'll be something like that.

So many things happened behind the scenes to make sure the critical IT infrastructure of the world would keep running. Lots of overtime put in to test and re-test.

It was all done so well that people today will usually just shrug their shoulders and go "Y2K was a huge noise about nothing really serious" whenever it's brought up.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

So many things happened behind the scenes to make sure the critical IT infrastructure of the world would keep running. Lots of overtime put in to test and re-test.

It was all done so well that people today will usually just shrug their shoulders and go "Y2K was a huge noise about nothing really serious" whenever it's brought up.

Yep! And because of that every rubbernecker doing a countdown to doom (e.g, all of us dipshit teenagers at the time) was kind of a rube looking for a spectacle and forgot about it 15 seconds after midnight. The joke is the countdown to the end of title 42 is the same thing.

(Also Biden's replacement immigration policy is somehow worse, but that's not a right wing media thing)

Doctor Yiff fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 10, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Doctor Yiff posted:

Probably about 3 minutes :rimshot:

It would be great if 3 Minute Warning came back to life and Samoan Dropped Tucker off a cliff.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KozmoNaut posted:

The hole in the ozone layer was a nothing burger for the same reasons. Sure, almost the entire world banned overuse of CFCs at the same time but that doesn’t matter…The hole closed back up, so clearly all environmental concerns are exaggerated and global warming is fake.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

predicto posted:

The hole in the ozone layer was a nothing burger for the same reasons. Sure, almost the entire world banned overuse of CFCs at the same time but that doesn’t matter…The hole closed back up, so clearly all environmental concerns are exaggerated and global warming is fake.

Acid loving rain. The insane thing is that most of his voters are my age older. We lived through that poo poo. Do these fuckers have no loving memory. It's like a weird kind of lack of object permanence.

Edit wanted add
PS. I was already working in tech in 2000. A big part of why it was a non thing is because we saw it coming a years away and fixed the issue in the places it could be an issue. My mother worked at Railroad commission in Texas with the programmers and they spent pretty much the entire period between 1998 and December 29 1999 going through code making sure they were 2YK compliant.

Skex fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 11, 2023

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Y2K was a nothing because a lot of people put a lot of work in over years. In the mid 2000s Bush 2 changed daylight savings by a few weeks or something, and let me tell you, that was way worse and a huge crunch.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Lots of stuff going on on Glenn Beck this morning, due to the Comer press conference. They claimed that Comer brought a lot of hard evidence that still needed to be investigated but that it looked extremely damning for Biden and they said something like "I wouldn't be surprised if the Dems jump on this because it gives them the perfect excuse to drop Biden in favor of another candidate."

Then they talked about the Trump case, where they said that Trump's defense team didn't attempt a defense because what defense could he have used? "They can't prove he didn't know her, and they can't prove he never met her, so what else can they do?" Also the usual claims about "She can't even remember what year it was, that's pretty suspicious!" as well as "If Donald Trump had walked into that store don't you think people would have noticed?"

Her not remembering what year it was makes perfect sense to me imo. I can't remember a lot of significant dates in my past, like I don't remember what year my grandmother died exactly, and I loved her a lot and was super close to her. I only remember what year my dad died because I have two easy years to remember (graduated high school in 1998, did six years in the Navy, and then he died a little under a month after I got out). poo poo, my house burned down last year and I'm sure in five or six years I'll be going "Oh yeah...when did that happen again?" Just because you suffer a traumatic, life changing experience doesn't mean the date implants itself on your brain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine that this is the reward this woman was given for getting buried at the Trump town hall on CNN tonight

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1656402602593251328?s=20

It also bears repeating that she's not a liberal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is happening with white people names?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I guess her first job was at the Daily Caller, where she wrote Hot or Not for Syrian refugees

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

lin linn lyn liyn leigh leagh liegh lygh leyn leyghn
etc etc

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

Gundam is becoming real but only the weird names aspect and not the giant robots or space colonies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Skex posted:

Acid loving rain. The insane thing is that most of his voters are my age older. We lived through that poo poo. Do these fuckers have no loving memory. It's like a weird kind of lack of object permanence.

Edit wanted add
PS. I was already working in tech in 2000. A big part of why it was a non thing is because we saw it coming a years away and fixed the issue in the places it could be an issue. My mother worked at Railroad commission in Texas with the programmers and they spent pretty much the entire period between 1998 and December 29 1999 going through code making sure they were 2YK compliant.

When confronting a crisis, a competent reaction will always appear as an over-reaction after the fact, because if you handled it properly it means that nothing happened.

I feel this is applicable to the COVID pandemic.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

PT6A posted:

When confronting a crisis, a competent reaction will always appear as an over-reaction after the fact, because if you handled it properly it means that nothing happened.

I feel this is applicable to the COVID pandemic.
2038 is going to be wild.

People roughly my current age will be making major decisions and they weren't even born yet when we got through Y2K

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should've turned off their computers before Y2K and then never turned them all ever again imo

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

FFT posted:

2038 is going to be wild.

People roughly my current age will be making major decisions and they weren't even born yet when we got through Y2K

Also isn't the 2038 thing gonna affect a shitton of integrated systems and is gonna be a lot harder to fix?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm not caught up on the news, what's the deal with the 2038 thing?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Larryb posted:

The Year 2038 problem.

Another Y2K-ish situation where the programming infrastructure isn't able to handle dates past a specific second in 2038, because UNIX dates are all based on the same "starting" date in 1970. Going past that second makes the computer think it's X number of seconds before 1970 instead of after.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Larryb posted:

So, there's two things going on.

Thing #1: Computers don't understand dates. To a computer the time of day is, and currently can only be, a number, but that number cannot be in the format of DD/MM/YYYY. That is gibberish to a computer. So the way it is currently calculated is "number of seconds that have passed since January 1, 1970." Count up that number, then start dividing them by 60 for minutes, 60 more for hours, 24 more for days and so on to report that number in a way that humans understand.

Thing #2: There is a type of information that computers use called a "signed integer". There's a lot of computer science-y stuff behind it but long story short, signed integers can only ever store a value up to 2,147,483,647 as written in decimal notation. If you try to go to 2,147,483,648 bad poo poo happens in memory.

When you combine the two things, what happens is on January 19th 2038, unfixed computers will attempt to count that 2,147,483,648th second and then *pfffzt*

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, so Y2K 2.0 essentially then (speaking of, did that one actually cause problems for anything or was it fixed before it could trigger? If the latter, I imagine this one will be quickly dealt with as well)

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Thing #2: There is a type of information that computers use called a "signed integer". There's a lot of computer science-y stuff behind it but long story short, signed integers can only ever store a value up to 2,147,483,647 as written in decimal notation. If you try to go to 2,147,483,648 bad poo poo happens in memory.

When you combine the two things, what happens is on January 19th 2038, unfixed computers will attempt to count that 2,147,483,648th second and then *pfffzt*

Specifically Unix/linux which a bunch of like integrated systems use by default has a 32 bit signed integer, there are ways to update this to a 64 bit signed integer which will last till the approximate heat death of the universe. But theres a ton of like CNC Machines, Car systems, traffic controllers, etc that are a pain to update.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 11, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to imagine that this is the reward this woman was given for getting buried at the Trump town hall on CNN tonight

I have a feeling it wasn't so much "Reward" as "Give me a primetime show or I'm suing for breach of contract"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Updating it to a 64-bit integer is just kicking the can down the road, we'll just end up right back here in 200 billion years

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Updating it to a 64-bit integer is just kicking the can down the road, we'll just end up right back here in 200 billion years

At this point us being here in 2038 is an optimistic wager let alone 200000000038.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point us being here in 2038 is an optimistic wager.
I’ll take that action.

Of course a bet where the win condition is non-existence isn’t really a fair one, I suppose…

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Ah, so Y2K 2.0 essentially then (speaking of, did that one actually cause problems for anything or was it fixed before it could trigger? If the latter, I imagine this one will be quickly dealt with as well)

Y2K was handled gracefully by 99% of systems because people identified the problem and responded to it well. The other 1% were mopped up and/or kinda funny (Master of Orion 2 had the Y2K bug, having the two-digit year a game was saved read as "100")

The 2038 problem is a hair more dangerous due to a rather large collage of problems:
1) Updating things sucks in general. There are a lot of systems that are "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Ask YOSPOS what a COBOL engineer makes these days working on ancient systems that are "working fine"
2) Everything is interconnected now. Back in 2000 the internet was just barely a thing, and most systems were designed to work independently. Thus, they could be independently patched. Now, however, if your System A relies on System B that relies on Library C that relies on Database D that relies on Ancient Government Computer Running Windows 3.1, then you had better hope that all five of those get updated, AND that the patch doesn't break anything in the process!
3) Institutional knowledge is dying and retiring. More and more things are 'black boxed'. This goes back to "what's a COBOL engineer worth" because nobody honestly does that anymore. But when that guy retires...

It's not doomsday, but I would wager that it won't be a Y2K "we fixed it :cool:" resolution

edit: thinking on this more, this could actually be a good use for AI coders to pick out and fix the millions of edge cases. AI coding is already surprisingly good; by 2038 I doubt they'll have an issue

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 11, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

I have a feeling it wasn't so much "Reward" as "Give me a primetime show or I'm suing for breach of contract"
She used to work for The Daily Caller. She's probably onboard with most of what Trump was saying.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

She used to work for The Daily Caller. She's probably onboard with most of what Trump was saying.

Oh I absolutely believe that, but that's not incompatible with feeling resentful about being there

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hannity gave Trump a nice sweet on air blowjob in the 45 seconds or so I subjected myself to it.

Thing that stood out to me was that Sean was claiming that the moderator only wanted to talk about the past (1/6, election fraud claims) and never asked him what he would do as president in the future.

Except she absolutely did, repeatedly, and Trump mostly refused to engage.

She asked him:

- How he would rule or how he would come down on a federal abortion ban (he'll look at it and do what's right)
- How he would handle the border (take a wild guess)
- What he would do about raising the debt limit (default)
- How he hoped the Russia v Ukraine would play out (didn't answer, but claimed he could end it in 24 hours)
- If he would accept a loss in a 2024 election (if he thought it was fair, so that's no)
- If he would pardon Jan 6th criminals (yes)
- About the verdict in the civil trial in NYC (he never met her) and if he would appeal (yes)

Point being, he was asked a LOT of questions about the present and also what a future presidency might look like but, of course, Sean made it sound like the mean nasty woman from Fake News CNN only wanted to ask him about the past (again) and wouldn't let him speak. He spoke lied a LOT and had ample time to spew his bullshit. He never shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1656733975422070785

:lmao: