Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to get rid of the following board games and tabletop gaming-type other products:

Unfathomable
Wingspan
Frosthaven Removable Sticker Set
Pathfinder 2e Age of Ashes Adventure Path
(all 6 books)
Spot It
We Didn't Playtest This At All + WDPTAL Legacies
Legend of the Five Rings Living Card Game
(all cards except last printed booster cycle, of which I have uhh two or three of the packs? A Crimson Offering is looking right at me, literally unopened)

All of the above are in great condition, played once or twice at most, I promise. Well, (certain of) the L5R cards got used more, but always in sleeves. Regarding the FH Sticker Set, I removed exactly one sticker to place on the board, changed my mind, and put it back on the set sheet. Don't remember if it was a Walls or Scenario 1's sticker. L5R will come with three Ultra Pro binders, the 360-card ones I think, in light blue, green, and red colors.

I don't really know what I want, TBH. But if someone wants these let me know and we can start working something out. We can talk about shipping matters, or if you're in the general California Bay Area, physical meet-up is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm looking to get rid of the following board games and tabletop gaming-type other products:

Unfathomable
Wingspan
Frosthaven Removable Sticker Set
Pathfinder 2e Age of Ashes Adventure Path
(all 6 books)
Spot It
We Didn't Playtest This At All + WDPTAL Legacies
(all cards except last printed booster cycle, of which I have uhh two or three of the packs? A Crimson Offering is looking right at me, literally unopened)

All of the above are in great condition, played once or twice at most, I promise. Well, (certain of) the L5R cards got used more, but always in sleeves. Regarding the FH Sticker Set, I removed exactly one sticker to place on the board, changed my mind, and put it back on the set sheet. Don't remember if it was a Walls or Scenario 1's sticker. L5R will come with three Ultra Pro binders, the 360-card ones I think, in light blue, green, and red colors.

I don't really know what I want, TBH. But if someone wants these let me know and we can start working something out. We can talk about shipping matters, or if you're in the general California Bay Area, physical meet-up is possible.

You may want to also create an SA-Mart thread, since the additional subforum rules provide greater protections to buyer and seller. I say that every time I see one of these posts, but I can't remember that it was ever a problem.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Unfathomable

California Bay Area

please create an SA-mart thread, I am interested in Unfathomable and potentially L5R and located in the Bay Area

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

million dollar mack posted:

Alright I just read through the rules for Sidereal Confluence and now I'm really hyped to get this to the table. It wasn't nearly as complex as I thought it would be. Any teaching tips for this one, for a player count of 5-6?

Also post a trip report once you've done it. I'm trying to get a game scheduled myself, which will probably mostly be beginners.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I've been out for the count on board games since maybe 2019, what's everyone's favorite games that came out since then?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Too many to count; but if I were to pick just one in a vacuum I'd pick Beyond the Sun. I simply love that game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sokani posted:

I've been out for the count on board games since maybe 2019, what's everyone's favorite games that came out since then?

Pan Am

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sokani posted:

All quite good:

Beyond the Sun
Blitzkrieg! / Caesar!
The Crew Deep Sea
Imperium Classics/Legends
Root Mauraders exp
Sidereal Confluence 2nd Ed

Best by a wide margin:

Res Arcana + expansions

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sokani posted:

My group loves Oathsworn

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Best by a wide margin:

Res Arcana + expansions

Res for the Arcana is really good and is also online on Boardgame Arena. The online implementation has just the first of the two expansions, but the first expansion is twice as good as the second one.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sokani posted:

What games did you like to play? That might give us a starting point for recommendations.

Let me second The Crew: The Search for Planet Nine* and its sequel (The Crew: Deep Blue Sea) as crisp, well-designed light co-op games for 3-5 to kill an hour (or while you're waiting for the rest of the group to show up). And at US$15 each, you can't go wrong with trying one.

If you're into games that can be played solo or co-op, this was out in 2017, but I don't know if you'd have seen it. Spirit Island is the best game I own. Play as different spirits of nature wracking colonizers and driving them into the sea before they settle your island. It's an intricate puzzle that doesn't get stale due to the near infinite combination of spirits (each with different powers), scenarios, and adversaries (the latter two of which can be used to increase the difficulty level).

* not to be confused with the Search for Planet X; that's a much heavier and more expensive game I know nothing about

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I haven't heard of Res Arcana. Somebody please sell me on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CitizenKeen posted:

I haven't heard of Res Arcana. Somebody please sell me on it.

You get to make fun bullshit combos from a tiny set of cards. It hits the same kind of niche as Dominion or Race for the Galaxy (with which it shares a designer).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You can try it on BGA. It's a card game where two wizards, etc race to achieve victory in the same vein as Ascension, Dominion, etc

It's very well thought out and balanced, but if you're not into such games it won't be the one to change your mind or light new fires in your brain.

As mentioned, BGA has a digital version and great interactive tutorial, so you can try it there.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Admiralty Flag posted:

What games did you like to play? That might give us a starting point for recommendations.

I just want to hear about what people are into, maybe expand my horizons.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Spirit Island is the best game I own.

This is my favorite game. I picked up Jagged Earth but that was around when my group petered out, so I haven't really played it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sokani posted:

I just want to hear about what people are into, maybe expand my horizons.

This is my favorite game. I picked up Jagged Earth but that was around when my group petered out, so I haven't really played it.

Speaking of Horizons and Spirit Island, there's a new Target exclusive starter edition that's a pretty reasonably priced way to pick up five new low complexity spirits that are a lot of fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've noir played RA a lot but it's a game that needs drafting to be a game. Without that level of control over the makeup of your deck games just revolve around seeing who happened to get dealt the best engine for the table, and who is going to be producing a lot of skulls with no way of converting them into points.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've noir played RA a lot but it's a game that needs drafting to be a game. Without that level of control over the makeup of your deck games just revolve around seeing who happened to get dealt the best engine for the table, and who is going to be producing a lot of skulls with no way of converting them into points.

Real confusing post when you read Ra as Ra.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've played it a fair bit without drafting and probably got lucky but I don't remember this ever being a major problem, I'm sure it's good to draft once everyone knows exactly what all of the cards do but it's certainly still playable without it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Finished a "complete" play through of Mind Mgmt (14 games with 2 players playing the same role every time), still such a great game. I'd probably want to do it again with sides switched if I wasn't moving soon. I don't often get a game to the table this often.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Real confusing post when you read Ra as Ra.

Same

Everyone should play Ra though.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Sokani posted:

For me Dune Imperium has probably been my favorite in recent years. There's some games where I fall in love with the idea of it, like Oath for example, and they're still very good, but they require the right mental space for the entire group to really get into it and I end up taking it out only once every two months (or once a year for something like Sidereal Confluence). Dune Imperium with the Ix expansion, and now with Immortality, I could play every day. Just the perfect mix of mechanics to hit all my endorphin switches.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

grate deceiver posted:

For me Dune Imperium has probably been my favorite in recent years. There's some games where I fall in love with the idea of it, like Oath for example, and they're still very good, but they require the right mental space for the entire group to really get into it and I end up taking it out only once every two months (or once a year for something like Sidereal Confluence). Dune Imperium with the Ix expansion, and now with Immortality, I could play every day. Just the perfect mix of mechanics to hit all my endorphin switches.

How is Immortality? What's it add compared to Ix and Base Game?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sokani posted:

Most of the games I play these days are older Euros (Concordia, Castles of Burgundy), but there are four games I regularly play you might not know:
  • Brass:Birmingham came out in 2018, so you might know it. If not, it's an update to Lancashire, a little less tight and knife-fighty, a little more forgiving, but still a brainburner, an absolute 5/5 if you like economic games, route builders, and shared resource games. I prefer it to Lancashire because it is more lenient around cotton, which already needs help, and is generally a bit looser, which I think is a boon.
  • Parks is pretty recent. It's a casual game where you collect gear and element tokens and use these to visit National Parks, which is your main way of scoring points. There's a bit more interaction than a hands-off Euro in terms of blocking resource collection spots and stealing a points generator (the camera), but there are ways around those so it's not very cutthroat. It is a beautiful game, whether you're talking about the art, component design, or even the storage solution in the box. (Unfortunately, this was abandoned by the second expansion, where everything just got thrown in a box and shipped; the original Parks packaging is a masterstroke in efficiency and loveliness.) Most importantly, assuming you don't have a player with AP, it lasts as long as it needs to, a critical factor in a casual game (cf. Azul, Splendor), much unlike...
  • Wingspan took the gaming public by storm, and earned rightful praise for its splendid artwork of lovely birbs. Unfortunately, they didn't put as much love into actually designing a great game. It's a casual game, but it's overly long, and it runs out of surprises a few plays in, meaning that it's merely mediocre after your first few times. My wife and daughter, however, love the game, so I end up playing a fair amount of it. The Oceania expansion is practically required to make the game worthwhile; it elevates it from completely predictable (unless someone gets one of the three or so broken birbs that basically auto win the game if you get them early) to more open and enjoyable gameplay.
  • Dune:Imperium is being discussed right around this post: a great combination of light deckbuilding and worker placement with, for a Euro, a medium level of conflict (in a voluntary prescribed "combat" phase each round). I too could play this game any time it hit the table, assuming Brass:Birmingham wasn't already out. Fairly heavy buy not overly so; the first xpac adds a little weight, but the second a significant bit more as it opens another axis of gameplay altogether.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

we’re in a trick-taking renaissance atm. besides the aforementioned the crew and crew dsa I really like scout, brian boru, cat in the box. haven’t played it yet but heckin hounds is goon-made. & ARCS got crowdfunded for a milli and a half

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FulsomFrank posted:

Double-replying because the posts are different. Immortality essentially adds a whole new gameplay axis to Dune. It adds a new market row of two dynamic (choosable) and one non-takeable static (I.e., deploy 2 troops to garrison or advance 1 on Tliexu track) cards, each requiring research tokens to purchase, a new Tliexu (sp?) track that gives you various rewards (spice, research tree advancements, VPs) as you move along it, and a research tree, which gives you branching options for benefits every time you move along it, many of which are acquiring research tokens (which are also troop cubes, much like Ix negotiators, so if you have a lot tied up here and on the board, you might not get the full benefit out of Heighliners).

Your boring Dune the Desert Planet (yellow triangle) cards are replaced by Experimentation: yellow triangle and advance 1 on the research tree, or cash out the card for one research token in the reveal phase. New cards are either nifty standalones with useful ability powers or "graft" cards: play them along with another card and gain all the benefits of both (play locations & text box, which almost always includes draw 1 on the graft card to make up for the extra card being gone from your hand). Some graft cards have special abilities when grafted to other graft cards IIRC.

I don't know if it's a must-have like Ix is, in that Ix fixes the spice->Solari->council rush cycle at the beginning of the game, but it adds a lot of enjoyable but mostly well-balanced play elements to the game. You cannot, however, ignore the research tree and the Tliexu track like you can the shipping track, because you'll get curbstomped by players who are making use of those benefits.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 10, 2023

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

panko posted:

we’re in a trick-taking renaissance atm.

This is so exciting to me, because when I first started pitching Heckin Hounds so many publishers told me that no one plays or likes trick taking games anymore. Some of those publishers are even now publishing trick taking games. It's a genre I've always loved.

Personally my favorite trick taker (aside from Heckin Hounds ofc) is Fool by Friedemann Friese

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like Fool quite a bit as well. Other favorites are Sticheln and Mu, though I pretty much never get to play Mu since it needs exactly 5 to function.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

Personally my favorite trick taker (aside from Heckin Hounds ofc) is Fool by Friedemann Friese

We've come back to Bottle Imp a lot of times over the years. Great, unique design that's easy to pick up and surprisingly "thematic" feeling. Individual rounds often have pretty memorable narratives.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

jmzero posted:

Great, unique design that's easy to pick up and surprisingly "thematic" feeling.

In terms of rules overhead, maybe, but in my experience it's a take that's super unclear how to win. Which is not an knock but I wouldn't describe it as easy. I knew I was making legal moves but I had very little inkling if they were going to win or lose me the game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My favorite last few years game is Anno 1800, it's a midweight euro by Martin Wallace (Brass/ Railways of the World) based on the PC game. Extremely clever design, involves building up your own workers and factories in front of you, while competing for a limited number of upgrades in the center. It bakes conflict with other players into the efficiency puzzle in ways that I'm used to seeing in much meaner games, this one flows very nicely otherwise in a way I like. And the pacing is really good, a lot happens really quickly at the start, then it feels like it could just expand forever, before it ends really quickly and in an exciting way.

I recommend looking up rules variants, there's a few ways I play that makes it a little less luck driven, but it's still pretty loosy goosy. It's just very fun though in general.

There's been talk about an expansion that makes it more of a gamers game and I'm excited to see what that's like.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

FulsomFrank posted:

Admiralty Flag already did a good summary, so short version - it's more cool stuff to play with. You get a kinda sorta fifth faction track to gain influence in, and a branching bonuses "research" track on a separate board. Also separate card market that you buy with a new resource.
Visually it takes a lot of space, since it's a new card track + new board, but I think mechanically it adds less than Ix, mostly just more cool cards with new abilities.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

an actual dog posted:

My favorite last few years game is Anno 1800, it's a midweight euro by Martin Wallace (Brass/ Railways of the World) based on the PC game. Extremely clever design, involves building up your own workers and factories in front of you, while competing for a limited number of upgrades in the center. It bakes conflict with other players into the efficiency puzzle in ways that I'm used to seeing in much meaner games, this one flows very nicely otherwise in a way I like. And the pacing is really good, a lot happens really quickly at the start, then it feels like it could just expand forever, before it ends really quickly and in an exciting way.

I recommend looking up rules variants, there's a few ways I play that makes it a little less luck driven, but it's still pretty loosy goosy. It's just very fun though in general.

There's been talk about an expansion that makes it more of a gamers game and I'm excited to see what that's like.

Most people I've seen were lukewarm on the game, but a dog would never lie to me so game must be fine, actually.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Azran posted:

Most people I've seen were lukewarm on the game, but a dog would never lie to me so game must be fine, actually.

I actively dislike Anno for various reasons I think I've talked about before.

Did you opening hand have good cards or bad ones?

Did you draw a randomly good Old World Island?

Did you draw the New World Colony that you needed?

It's all just random bullshit that I expect from Stonemier not Martin Wallace.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

For what it's worth there's a couple of house rules that can fix those issues, such as removing powerful cards from the deck before dealing starting hands and doing draw two, pick one for exploration. I'm really casual about that kind of thing though so I still really liked it as a base game.

Edit: I wouldn't use all of these but here's a couple of popular house rules.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Luck of the draw can be really brutal in a lot of games. I just played Ark Nova for the first time and goddamn should never wait for specific cards in that cause you'll get super hosed. Still really liked it, though.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

an actual dog posted:

Luck of the draw can be really brutal in a lot of games. I just played Ark Nova for the first time and goddamn should never wait for specific cards in that cause you'll get super hosed. Still really liked it, though.
I usually don't like games completely without elements of chance (pipe down, Concordia, I see you), but much worse are games that don't allow a way to mitigate bad luck. Whether it's as elegant as Castles of Burgundy's four different ways to use each die (and one of them being get two workers regardless of what's on the die), simple as Spirit Island's "Draw four powers and keep the one you like best," straightforward as Brass:Birmingham's "Spend an action to get not one but two wild cards," or player-reliant as Orléans's "It's your responsibility to manage what goes into your bag so you can draw what you want out of it," so long as there's a way to reasonably handle it, I'm fine with chance.

Nah, what really chaps my hide are games where going late/last in the turn order is a significant drawback and you don't get adequately compensated for it (I'm looking at you, Great Western Trail, an otherwise great game where I always seem to go fourth, and, no, getting +$3 and being able to start wherever I want doesn't help when the labor pool's been drained of cowboys and craftsmen).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fate Accomplice posted:

please create an SA-mart thread, I am interested in Unfathomable and potentially L5R and located in the Bay Area

OK, it's up.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I second the opinion that Anno is a great board game. It's completely different to the computer game in all but name imho, but it's a great euro that plays pretty quickly with lots of fun n friendlyolish interaction ("who's got cotton? Have my gold!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I think Mayveena was quite fond of it last time I heard it brought up months and months ago. I was intrigued by it but put off by it appearing to be Yet Another Medium Weight Euro even though I love Wallace. It was on sale a while ago, I should have just grabbed a copy and sold it if I didn't care for it.

I splurged and grabbed an unpunched copy of 1856 off ebay that I am hyped to get on the table. Got my cubes4me DE-LUXE components and trays so no excuses.