Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

A big thing that videos say about wet palettes is to not use metallic paints on them, but people here have said it's fine so I've started doing it and it's great. Other than that yeah you'll just see a night and day difference with how long your paint stays workable.

Metallics definitely don't play as well with wet pallettes. They're fine for use during the same paint session - stops them from drying out but if you leave them overnight they have a habit of separating - happens a lot more with the golds than the silvers. It's not going to be like other paints where you can keep going forever day after day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bohemian Nights posted:

My wet pallet is a tray, some layers of wet paper towels and parchment paper for baking :kiddo:

I used that for a long time. Then I got a $20 Redgrass Games pallet with foam and 50 of their own sheets, and it works a bit better. Fairly cheap upgrade, but not completely needed.

Trying to get back into a painting groove. Telling myself that if I go through this backlog of Mordheim stuff, I will buy myself a resin printer (to add more to my backlog)

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1655929703830638593

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ravendas posted:

I used that for a long time. Then I got a $20 Redgrass Games pallet with foam and 50 of their own sheets, and it works a bit better. Fairly cheap upgrade, but not completely needed.

Trying to get back into a painting groove. Telling myself that if I go through this backlog of Mordheim stuff, I will buy myself a resin printer (to add more to my backlog)

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1655929703830638593

I broke down and bought the small one as well after my DIY one kept fungusing up but it's also growing mould.

It's more convenience than anything else IMO. Not needing to cut up parchment paper constantly does make life a little easier.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Z the IVth posted:

Metallics definitely don't play as well with wet pallettes.

This is not actually true. (I know some people hate Miniac, but his Wet Palletes video debunks this quite well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVP469_KJ0&t=366s

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't imagine why anyone would hate a guy who's video thumbnails look like he just got hit in the face with a blast from a compressed air canister.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would hate a guy who's video thumbnails look like he just got hit in the face with a blast from a compressed air canister.

Hate the algorithm, not the YouTuber.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, all the obnoxious Youtuber behavior people hate is purely done to drive engagement, because it works. If you want to make a living doing it, you have to do that poo poo.

Which is why the best youtubers are the ones that aren't trying to make it their career, like Vince Venturella.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I think he also was caught uploading pictures to his instagram of unreleased product when he was invited to a GW launch event, and then made a video talking about it and lamenting that he had spent a ton of money to get the army he was supposed to paint for the event painted by someone else.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've watched the MS Paints algorithm tweaking video so I get why Miniac has thumbnails that look like he's sticking his head out the window of a fast moving vehicle. It's just that he's attempting to make mini painting his living and has publicly stated how he's desperately trying hard to work the system in order to make this whole thing succeed and yet, like Geisladisk mentioned, there's guys like Vince who Miniac is friends with that are doing the compete antithesis of this. So it's kind of funny and sad to think that the goofy things he does to increase viewer numbers/work the algorithm is the very thing that makes some people less likely to click his poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I broke down and bought the small one as well after my DIY one kept fungusing up but it's also growing mould.

It's more convenience than anything else IMO. Not needing to cut up parchment paper constantly does make life a little easier.

In two years I have never ever had mold in my wet palette, that I wonder what y'all are doing differently than me.

it's 22-44% humidity in my paint area, and I only use distilled water to fill the paint sponge and nothing is in direct sunlight

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
mine will get moldy if I leave it for a while and it's not fully dry (nothing ever fully dries in FL so I gave up) but it's easy to fix if I put some rubbing alcohol in it overnight or put a little water in it then microwave it for a minute. However the latter kinda warped it a mild amount so I have to weigh it down with some spare tools, which is a cascading series of dumb problems like I'm george costanza.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In two years I have never ever had mold in my wet palette, that I wonder what y'all are doing differently than me.

it's 22-44% humidity in my paint area, and I only use distilled water to fill the paint sponge and nothing is in direct sunlight

some areas just have more mold spores in the air than others. mine didn't mold much in my old apartment but do now

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I put a spray of hand sanitizer in mine and it never has mold.

It does smell minty fresh though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you are worried about mold in your wet palette keep a copper coin or wire under the sponge. Trace copper sulfate and zinc or nickel can inhibit the growth of molds and bacteria.

There are three pennies under my AP wet palette sponge ay all times and I've experienced zero mold growth issues.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I just washed mine with a bit of dish soap every so often. It lasted 2.5 years with long bouts of not using it thanks to having a tiny babby

got all my airbrushing stuff, but trying to get primer is surprisingly challenging up here. I guess vallejo light grey is popular for a reason because it's sold out just about everywhere.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I usually just squirt some isopropyl in with the sponge, haven't had mold issues in the 10+ years I've been using homemade wet palettes

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

I usually just squirt some isopropyl in with the sponge, haven't had mold issues in the 10+ years I've been using homemade wet palettes

I will try this. I think it's probably something to do with the environment as my very first pallette was made out of a cut up blister and it never grew mould but that was in a different house.

Lumpy posted:

This is not actually true. (I know some people hate Miniac, but his Wet Palletes video debunks this quite well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVP469_KJ0&t=366s

I speak from my own experience. If you leave metallics in a wet pallette more often than not they will have split the next time you come back to them. The metallics will behave normally in the short term (few hours) but they won't be as consistently workable compared to regular paints. VMA steel sometimes stays OK but all my other metallics inevitably split.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One good tip is that Metallics should never be thinned with water, wet pallet or no. Use gloss medium (or matte in a pinch) and you'll be astonished at how better that works for you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grabbed some Contrasts and started very half-assedly whipping up a couple teams to give Mörk Boll a shot.

First up are the Madwizard Rovers:

From left to right are (All names generated from the name table in the rules): Pink Bob, Football 666, Ham Destiny, Crab James, and Smooth Silk Smithy.

I mostly just wanted team colors and enough other colors on them to look "done" - and without too much time investment in case I dislike the game, then I can just trash 'em, nbd.

The minis I'm using for both teams and the refs are from Vae Victis, which has some very good sculpts.

Next up is the players for the other team, then a couple of refs.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

One good tip is that Metallics should never be thinned with water, wet pallet or no. Use gloss medium (or matte in a pinch) and you'll be astonished at how better that works for you.

This is exactly why they don't play well long term on wet palettes since they draw the water up through the membrane and inevitably 'thin with water' if left long enough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

moths posted:

But it dries too fast :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Could try some flow improver or retarder medium to the mix? The latter helps keep the metallics from drying up too quickly.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A second Deathwatch Aggressor done.

This guy is from a little-known BA successor chapter called The Blood Dragons.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Grabbed some Contrasts and started very half-assedly whipping up a couple teams to give Mörk Boll a shot.

First up are the Madwizard Rovers:

From left to right are (All names generated from the name table in the rules): Pink Bob, Football 666, Ham Destiny, Crab James, and Smooth Silk Smithy.

I mostly just wanted team colors and enough other colors on them to look "done" - and without too much time investment in case I dislike the game, then I can just trash 'em, nbd.

The minis I'm using for both teams and the refs are from Vae Victis, which has some very good sculpts.

Next up is the players for the other team, then a couple of refs.

They look great, and I'm going to name my firstborn Ham Destiny because that name is powerful

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

AndyElusive posted:

Hell loving yes this rules blood dragons!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEtdyn2QEzA

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nice, the Aggressors are probably my favorite Primaris unit visually (ignoring the various flavors of embiggened tac marines).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Use a wet palette?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm taking a run at stripping paints. I feel like a glass cup with iso in it was a less good idea compared to get a small jar with a lid. It was the perfect size though :(

When I'm scrubbing at them should I be trying to do it in the alcohol or is it fine to pull them out and have a go?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 10, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm taking a run at stripping paints. I feel like a glass cup with iso in it was a less good idea compared to get a small jar with a lid. It was the perfect size though :(

When I'm scrubbing at them should I be trying to do it in the alcohol or is it fine to pull them out and have a go?

You'll at least want something you can close, so the iso doesn't evaporate.

I usually pull them out and scrub under running water, seems to work fine.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

God I hate those models, but really cool paint job! I liked the retro flames on the back, I’d like to try those out myself

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Pull em out and give them a quick scrub first out of iso to loosen the paint before you put them under running water.

I find if you put them straight under the tap the iso gets washed off and some of the more stubborn stains might stick around.

Don't scrub them in the iso as you'll contaminate it even more and you'll have to replace it more frequently.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Silhouette posted:

They look great, and I'm going to name my firstborn Ham Destiny because that name is powerful

I will say one thing about the game rules - the name generator is fantastic. It says right at the top of the chart "Roll d100 twice and combine the results to make the dumbest name you can".

So far my only criticism of the game is that it's format is NOT printer-friendly at all - but you kind of expect that with a Mork Borg-inspired title by the dude who does Forbidden Psalm.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Knocked out this Salamander in a sitting. Green is such a nice color to work with- I'll return to it and freehand some chapter and squad emblems once I have above 0% confidence in my freehanding skills

Just a space wolf and a blood angel to go!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

This is great. But my stupid brain straight away saw the Nike swoosh above the aquilla and now i can’t unsee it.

Just Kill It

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stormfiend proxy and his little friend

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
First Rogal Dorn all finished. Vroom Vroom.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished painting my Kulu Ya Ku. Still needs varnish.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2023

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Bohemian Nights posted:

Knocked out this Salamander in a sitting. Green is such a nice color to work with- I'll return to it and freehand some chapter and squad emblems once I have above 0% confidence in my freehanding skills

Just a space wolf and a blood angel to go!

Just chiming in to say that this is a very nice green you have developed here. I look forward to seeing some squad markings and/or flames when you get to it; the latter will really add some nice color contrast to what you have so far.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Just chiming in to say that this is a very nice green you have developed here. I look forward to seeing some squad markings and/or flames when you get to it; the latter will really add some nice color contrast to what you have so far.

Hey thanks!

I guess I'm gonna get in some practice on paper before I put a brush to an actual model, it's so much harder to paint outside the lines haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Too many great posts to respond to individually, but you all are crushing it.