Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for talking to my daughter about what she posts online?

From zero to "How dare she escape?" in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I was surprised by the flat "I will admit that my wife can be particularly nasty" admission - usually these stories have the OP swear that their wife/boyfriend/chiropractor/conjoined twin/whatever is kind and wonderful and sweet and loving and good-hearted before going on to describe the awful things that they did.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

ah yes, someone managing to leave through a bedroom window instead of just leaving, just something to casually leave at the end of the story like that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

OP posted:

She sent a final text to me saying that it was because of our alarm system. We arm it at night but regardless of day or night, it loudly announces when a door has been opened. I would've tried to talk her out of it, but I wouldn't have physically stopped her or anything.

quote:

In other words, she was so afraid of your wife that she didn't want her to know that she was leaving.

And yet, you had to ask if YTA...

OP posted:

I wouldn't say afraid. I'd just say that she wanted to be undetected.

see? nothing was wrong with it, it's fine

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
No mention of daughter’s biological mother, no mention of why op isnt with daughter’s mother, the friend who stooged the daughter out is apparently an rear end in a top hat too…

Nothing unusual here, as you were everyone

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My daughter had to bypass our laser grid like Solid Snake to escape my house, AITA?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My daughter collected all 3 sculpture pieces to unlock the front door and also killed the mutated animals I was keeping in the basement, AITA?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
My adult child somehow escaped and we are livid about it.

So what the gently caress, did they try to lock her in or what.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

see? nothing was wrong with it, it's fine

The long and solid list of reasons for wanting to be undetected that don’t involve being afraid

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for hugging my own son?

quote:

My son Allen is 11 and in the 6th grade. He and I are very close. I work remotely and do my own schedule and can literally work from my phone so I volunteer in one of his classes a couple of days a week.

I leave before lunch and my son and I will wave to each other. He's not ashamed or embarrassed that his dad is there. Like I said he's very close to me and still likes to hug and cuddle with me.

Yesterday his teacher handed back a test that they took. He studied really hard and I could tell my his expression that he was happy with his grade. They started to work on a class project and he came up to me to show me that he got a 95%. He thought he'd get an 80%.

I told him that I was proud of him and I gave him a side hug and a kiss on the head. He then gave me this death stare. I asked what was wrong and he said not to kiss him. I always kiss him. He likes me to kiss him. He'll start playing around knowing I'm going to kiss or hug him.

I said oops and left. I asked him later if I had hurt him and he said no. Then we kissed abd hugged goodnight. Then today his teacher laughed and said I really blew it yesterday. I feel like an rear end in a top hat yet I don't think I did anything wrong.
OP's sole comment: "His friends are not looking and they don't care. If they do then they're just jealous". (Note: OP is the dad.)

I can't even imagine. My tweens were horribly embarrassed by being dropped off in a Scion xB that had plastic flames on the side. Kisses in front of their friends? No.

AITA for getting a pregnancy craving during a party?

quote:

I 29 female am pregnant with my boyfriend Sam 32. Sam and I went to a party for his family. No momentous occasional just a normal family get together. During my pregnancy I have had intense cravings.

While we were at the party I told Sam I was craving a slushee. About 30 minutes away. We had just arrived about 20 minutes prior. He said to give him a little while and we’d go get one.

After about 30 more minutes I said it again to Sam. He said fine get in the car. On our way there we got into an argument and he thinks the craving could have waited a couple hours. He’s now mad at me we have to leave the party early. We see his family 2-3 times a month sometimes more and I don’t think it’s a big deal to leave when I have a craving.

AITA?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for pretending not to remember a former coworker

quote:

I (29m now) worked at a bookstore for about 5 years starting my sophomore year of college. The last year was absolute hell thanks to a manager, Ashlee (30f now).

Ashlee got promoted to manager, and the power went to her head. There were like 6 people she just outright decided she didn't like for some reason, and I was one. I don't have any idea what I did but she'd always treat me like dirt, always finding some new personal jab at me or screaming at me over minor things. The worst was when she was in charge of scheduling. Most of the time she'd give hours to people she liked while the rest of us would get the bare minimum, and when I mentioned I would like to pick up some more hours, she went off on me, and complained to our general manager (who turned a blind eye to her because she reminded him of his late daughter). I finally found a job in my field and quit the bookstore ASAP. I'm doing much better now, I really like my job and I'm on track to get a promotion soon.

The other day I was at the mall, and I saw Ashlee at a distance in the parking lot. I really hoped she wouldn't see me but she looked right at me and waved. I pretended not to notice, but she came right up to me and said "Hey man, how's it been?" "Good to see you" and stuff like that.

I played dumb and said "I'm sorry, I don't think we've met." She said "We used to work together a while ago" but I kept insisting I didn't remember, and she finally backed off looking confused.

Someone else I used to work with caught wind of it and said it was a dick move because Ashlee just wanted to catch up. I do NOT want Ashlee in my life at all. I don't want her knowing anything about my life. She made a toxic work environment and got away with it, and I'd rather she just stay in the past.

Actively cutting lovely people from your past out of your life owns, and it owns double if you can gaslight and confuse them in the process. NTA *bangs gavel*

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for telling my 12 yr old niece to not make life any harder for her mum?

quote:

I (40f) have a 12 yr old NT niece and a 8 yr old high needs ND nephew (8m). They are my sister's kids (37f).

My nieces birthday was yesterday and she has cupcakes ready to bring to her class. My nephew doesn't sleep well at all and both his parents are up with him alot of the night and very sleep deprived.

Nephew snuck downstairs yesterday morning before everyone was up and ate most of the cupcakes (parents forgot to lock the cabinet, like I said they're very sleep deprived). BIL works about 60 hours a week as a physician and sister is a SAHM.

My niece called me from her cell (we're very close and I only live 5 miles away) and with her being hysterical I could also hear nephew having a meltdown in the background and his parents trying to calm him down. She was understandably upset bc it was her bday and she was bringing cupcakes to the class, neither of her parents would be able to replace the cupcakes on time as sister had to take nephew to a doctor's appointment (they would've been there a number of hours) and her dad had several surgeries lined up that day and couldn't get out of work.

We Live in a rural area that doesn't have UberEATS or door dash.

My partner (42f) owns the local bakery and was able to go in early to make impromptu cupcakes for my niece, and my partner would deliver it to her school (I too couldn't get out of work).

So I told my niece not to worry that I would take care of it, but to please lay off her parents that their lives are hard enough with her brother that she shouldn't make things any more difficult for them bc they're so burnt out and overwhelmed. She got angry with me bc she said her parents were "careless" in forgetting to lock the cabinet, I told her it was an honest mistake that anyone could make.

My partner thinks I shouldn't have said that bc she's just a child, this is true but her parents are literally hanging by a thread and I'm trying to help the only way I know how. Her parents thanked us profusely for coming to the rescue with her cupcakes and offered to pay but we declined saying it was on the house.

AITA?

You've got 6 more years before you never see your niece again.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

AITA for pretending not to remember a former coworker

Actively cutting lovely people from your past out of your life owns, and it owns double if you can gaslight and confuse them in the process. NTA *bangs gavel*

Yup, it rules. I was once approached by someone with the opener "are you trying to ignore me?" and had the presence of mind to respond 'yes' and turn around. It felt so good, I can't wait to relive it on my deathbed.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I wouldn't say afraid. I'd just say that she wanted to be undetected.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Not sure where people are getting the idea she's afraid. She just left the house the same way you would leave a date that was giving off "I am going to rape and murder you" vibes.

Clearly she will be back from the bathroom any minute now...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

haveblue posted:

My daughter collected all 3 sculpture pieces to unlock the front door and also killed the mutated animals I was keeping in the basement, AITA?

My daughter managed to solve the mirror laser puzzle to unlock the front door but she cheated by using a knife to reflect the beam instead of waiting for 11:42 when the angle of the sun would hit the prism correctly, AITA?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

You've got 6 more years before you never see your niece again.

oh come on. i know people love to drop a :sever: for funsies but get a grip

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Runcible Cat posted:

Ah, yes, the 12 year old needs to be calm and collected because it's just so hard living in that house that the parents are worn out. I kind of wonder if these people would even understand the irony if you read their own words back to them really slowly.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for hugging my own son?

OP's sole comment: "His friends are not looking and they don't care. If they do then they're just jealous". (Note: OP is the dad.)

I can't even imagine. My tweens were horribly embarrassed by being dropped off in a Scion xB that had plastic flames on the side. Kisses in front of their friends? No.

There's that whole period from 6th grade to about halfway though high school where you aren't really autonomous yet, but being seen having anything to do with your parents is not cool. It's just the way it is, and they'll get over it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for calling my stepdaughter by her actual first name rather then her nickname

quote:

I (f40) have been with my husband for 6 years married for 2 of those years. He has sole custody of his daughter (f15). His daughter has gone by her first and middle initials EJ since she was a baby. Everyone calls her her dad, other family members, teachers, friends, etc, etc.

When my husband and I were dating out of curiosity I asked what EJ stood for. He told me and I thought her name was so pretty so I started calling her that. She didn’t like being called that but after a while I guess she got used to it because she has let me.

Well, last night stepdaughter had some friends over and I asked her to help me with something addressing her by her name. Her friends gave questioning looks and stepdaughter said guys that’s me… a few laughed saying oh yeah and kinda joked about forgetting her actual first name. Well after her friends left she got upset. Ranting to her dad about how he doesn’t even call her by her first name so she doesn’t understand why his wife (me) gets to. and how she doesn’t even feel like a (her first name) she feels like an EJ.

After her rant, she ran to her bedroom and my husband ended up getting upset at me. Saying I should just respect she prefers to be called EJ. I started saying how I just thought her actual name is so pretty. He said I’m honestly acting like an rear end in a top hat refusing to call her EJ. So AITA?

def TA; i just liked this response, really:

quote:

Oh good. The main character is here.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for not wanting my roommate to move out?

quote:

I (27F) have lived with my roommate (26F) since last august. Our apartment is a one-bedroom, but we turned the living room into her bedroom by adding a japanese-style divider for privacy. It's not perfect, but it works. I found the apartment for us last year through a family member and did everything with regards to setting up utilities, insurance. But I couldn't afford it on my own and I offered her to be roommates since we are friends I knew she was looking for a place. Since I found the apartment, I have the bedroom. We split everything (rent, etc) 50/50. It's a two-year lease but with a clause that we can break the lease with 1-month notice (its like this because its through my family friends), but we agreed we'd probably stay for 2 years.

Since living together we've had some issues of getting on each other nerves, but thats just roommates. For example I thought she would help more but I found myself setting up everything. I was out town when our furniture arrived and came back the night before I was starting my new job which is a work-from-home position, only to find she had friends come over to assemble all her furniture but not my desk. I was quite upset since I had to stay up to assemble it, but her argument was we never agreed that she'd assemble my furniture. But I thought she'd do it out of courtesy since I found the place and did everything. But otherwise she's been a good roommate, respectful and always on top of her chores.

Until yesterday when she announced that she wants to live alone, has found a place starting from august and will be moving out. I'm quite honestly completely taken aback and, frankly, pissed. We had agreed we'd live there for 2 years, not one. I pointed this out, but she said that her circumstances had changed: she got a better job now and can afford a better place, and would really like to live alone. She also brought up that she needs a proper door and privacy, but I don't see how this has been THIS much of an issue because I never come into her space without permission and she doesn't even have a boyfriend or anyone to bring over. She offered to help me look for a new roommate but I don't see how I could find anyone who would take over the living room and pay half the rent so she's kinda screwing me over here. I love this apartment and I really don't want to leave. I kinda blew up on her over this because I'm just in shock, this is to sudden and she's leaving me with practically no options other than look for a cheaper place. She said that this isn't her responsibility and that she's leaving and that's it. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

AITA?

How could roommate possibly give up a deal like that?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

She offered to help me look for a new roommate but I don't see how I could find anyone who would take over the living room and pay half the rent so she's kinda screwing me over here.

huh, i wonder why not. i mean it's not THAT big an issue, so surely you can get someone to come live in those circumstances, right

e: lol OP keeps going in the comments, she really has no fuckin clue. "but why would i swap rooms or pay more rent, i'm the one who FOUND the place!!"

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 10, 2023

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I have also lived in a living room for a while, but it was because I was a horrible college student and mostly needed a place to sleep off hangovers and store my piles of clothes. I don't think I would have done it as like, a longterm lifestyle choice if I had had the option of a real bedroom. Also, my living room had a door

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for lashing out on my Army mom?

The whiplash in the second sentence

new season of swarm is wierd.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Barudak posted:

They dont even have to walk away from their problem, all they gotta do is stop visiting it.

But that’s not their only problem. That is their easiest problem to solve. The lovely jobs, multiple children, likely no support network problems are worse. It’s gotta be hard to think rationally with all the other stuff.

Again, I agree that walking away from home-invasion-hubby is the easy bit.

I dislike the word “hubby”, but it fits in this case.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

For example I thought she would help more but I found myself setting up everything. I was out town when our furniture arrived and came back the night before I was starting my new job which is a work-from-home position, only to find she had friends come over to assemble all her furniture but not my desk.

Everything is doing some really heavy lifting here

What did you set up, op, because it does not sound like you set up everything

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for not wanting my roommate to move out?

How could roommate possibly give up a deal like that?

lmao this is amazing. "you're really screwing me over, there's no way i'd be able to find someone else to take up this lovely deal!"

i wonder if "give her the bedroom, take the living room 'that is totally fine'" ever occurred to op

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i've never been into her space without permission, i just go to and fro on the other side of the divider and talk to her through it whenever i feel like it, that's exactly as good as having a door you can close and actual privacy, isn't it?

what do you mean trade with her, are you loving crazy? i'd never live like that, i found the place!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my wife to stop dancing for me until she gets better?

Similarly:

AITA- Had a nude portrait of myself made for my husband and it backfires.

quote:

I (40F) recently submitted some nude photos of myself to an artist who does drawings to see if he thought anything would make a good portrait for my husband. (39M) He said some did and he would like to draw me. Now, this guy is a renowned, published artist. A quick search of "modern nude figure illustrations" on Amazon would probably pull up one of his books. Anyhoo, he charges anywhere from $300-500 per commissioned piece. When I surprised my husband with the finished work, he became angry. He said I should have told him I was submitting photos, and wants to know what I did "in exchange" for the art. Apparently, he doesn't believe anyone would work on something they enjoy doing for free. Words were exchanged, and I was told I'm a whore who needs someone else's validation that I'm attractive. I said he is a jerk with no self confidence that doesn't trust his wife. AITA for not telling him upfront what I was planning and accepting a (digital copy) piece of art for free?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Everything is doing some really heavy lifting here

What did you set up, op, because it does not sound like you set up everything

Finding the listing (through family), arranging the lease, and establishing utilities service in her name. That's got to take a few hours of attention every year and obviously entitles you to drastically better living conditions

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had a roommate in a 1BR for two years. We rotated who had the bedroom every six months, worked fine.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i wonder if "give her the bedroom, take the living room 'that is totally fine'" ever occurred to op

quote:

Because we never agreed that we would swap rooms one year into the 2-year lease.

quote:

She knew about the 50/50 money agreement going in. I don't want to swap rooms because ultimately I'm the one who found the place.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol jesus. it's so wild to me, like, thinking that "who found the place" is something that at all matters. who cleaned the place, who bought the tv, who chased the bird out that one time when one flew in the window, sure. but who _found_ a place? who fuckin cares!

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Of all the stories that get posted here, for some reason the way she's harping on having found the place is absolutely driving me up the wall living room divider

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
She said she's renting it from a family friend so she didn't even have to do any of the work of "finding the place" like searching through listings, viewings, applications, etc

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had customers approach me or sit next to me in public because they misinterpreted my friendliness as part of my job as genuine interest in socializing. The worst is being repeatedly asked on a date. And then being accused of lying when I said I was taken. gently caress you, rear end in a top hat. Don't call me a liar. Your chances just went from zero to negative ten thousand for that.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I've had customers approach me or sit next to me in public because they misinterpreted my friendliness as part of my job as genuine interest in socializing. The worst is being repeatedly asked on a date. And then being accused of lying when I said I was taken. gently caress you, rear end in a top hat. Don't call me a liar. Your chances just went from zero to negative ten thousand for that.

Wrong thread or something pages back?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Then why were you flirty you drat tease!

I distinctly remember being in my early twenties and the customer was probably in his 40s asking me out, not on a date, but to his house directly so I could see how he fed the crickets I was counting them to his various lizards.

One of my very few times on the dating scene, many years ago, I was in a comic book shop, and yes it was exactly what you envision, and I was just their browsing transformers stuff, bought something, and when I went to leave the cashier who look like a thinner younger version of The comic book Guy asked me if I like to transformers and if I would like to come to his house and watch transformers forever. Needless to say I did not take him up on that offer.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is "transformers forever" a show or was he saying you'd watch transformers in perpetuity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vim Fuego posted:

Is "transformers forever" a show or was he saying you'd watch transformers in perpetuity?

Google suggests 'Transformers Forever' is not a show.