Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just want a smaller phone device that can be "docked" or "merged" into a device with a bigger screen if I need it if that makes sense.

Or just a drat flip phone again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SyRauk posted:

I just want a smaller phone device that can be "docked" or "merged" into a device with a bigger screen if I need it if that makes sense.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IMO it needs to be at least 6 devices deep like a Russian doll

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it's like those fossils of fish with spiral jaws, proof that you can take a wrong turn for a long long way before realizing you're lost.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Wait, you can't trade in a Pixel 7 for the Fold? I don't see that option available on the trade in page. Is this a joke?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SyRauk posted:

Wait, you can't trade in a Pixel 7 for the Fold? I don't see that option available on the trade in page. Is this a joke?

I see it. $295 for the 128 and $315 for the 256.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

bull3964 posted:

I see it. $295 for the 128 and $315 for the 256.

That's weird. Why can't I see the 7 as an option?

https://imgur.com/ey03hDn

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SyRauk posted:

That's weird. Why can't I see the 7 as an option?

https://imgur.com/ey03hDn

EVERYTHING about that image is weird. That selection dialog doesn't look like that on desktop or on mobile. The sort is also all wrong.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hope there's a pixel mini in the fall.

I feel a little crazy for spending $450 on a Pixel 5 last fall ($300 on a refurb, $150 to swap in a new battery) but these giant phones are insufferable.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

bull3964 posted:

EVERYTHING about that image is weird. That selection dialog doesn't look like that on desktop or on mobile. The sort is also all wrong.

This was on the Google Fi store.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I want them to give me $900 for my 6 pro. That fold is cool, just not $1800 worth of cool.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SyRauk posted:

Or just a drat flip phone again.

So, any Galaxy flagship released in the last 6 years or so? Except the Flip, ironically.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also lol after all that hype today:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rap Game Goku posted:

I want them to give me $900 for my 6 pro. That fold is cool, just not $1800 worth of cool.

Wouldn't that be something.

For the fold, that price is too much, even with a trade. I'll be waiting til October, it seems, for the p8.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I was half paying attention, but there were too many names for the AI stuff.

Also lol at taking 10 minutes in your presentation to tell us how bad the thing you're releasing could be:

"Building AI responsibly must be a collective effort involving researchers, social scientists, industry experts, governments and everyday people, as well as creators and publishers... that's why we're working with the web community to give publishers choice and control over their web content"

The Foldable looks cool though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy cow that massive bezel on the Pixel Fold is ugly as hell. What a shame, everything else looks pretty good

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alan_Shore posted:

Holy cow that massive bezel on the Pixel Fold is ugly as hell. What a shame, everything else looks pretty good

Lol that's exactly what MKBHD said "the internet" would freak out about. It looks fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hooah posted:

Lol that's exactly what MKBHD said "the internet" would freak out about. It looks fine.

For a Lumia Windows Phone!!!!!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

hooah posted:

Looks cheap and very first gen to me

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Bezels :byodood:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sure am glad tech tubers complained so much about bezels that it seeped into the average consumer’s list of poo poo to care about and now having something to use to hold your phone is now an eyesore or whatever.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
When you're dealing with a device too large to securely grip in one hand, you need a bezel so you can hold it one-handed without inadvertently triggering touches. :shrug:

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

why is the 7a so drat big and heavy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It gives it an actual usable interior camera which the Fold 4 lacks.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For the new pixel tablet, is it high refresh rate? It doesn't seem list the refresh rate on the specs page.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

various outlets like arstechnica are saying it's 60hz

google would have specified it themselves if it were higher

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

taco_fox posted:

why is the 7a so drat big and heavy

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.

same

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

the last good phone made was my pixel 3a. light as a feather

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Batteries are heavy and the 7a has almost 50% more capacity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bull3964 posted:

Batteries are heavy and the 7a has almost 50% more capacity.

Than the 7?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then the 3a mentioned.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

isndl posted:

When you're dealing with a device too large to securely grip in one hand, you need a bezel so you can hold it one-handed without inadvertently triggering touches. :shrug:

My Fold 3 says otherwise.

Not sure about that screen format either, a square vs Samsung's widescreen. Feels like it'll be worse for video and comics. But I'll defer to the infinitely wise Mr Mobile. The price is truly off-putting and at least you get amazing trade in deals with Samsung.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Levitating the phone works fine for me, sorry about your broken telekinesis.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alan_Shore posted:

My Fold 3 says otherwise.

Not sure about that screen format either, a square vs Samsung's widescreen. Feels like it'll be worse for video and comics. But I'll defer to the infinitely wise Mr Mobile. The price is truly off-putting and at least you get amazing trade in deals with Samsung.

Yeah the aspect ratio is strictly worse for everything expect multitasking.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

The price is truly off-putting and at least you get amazing trade in deals with Samsung.

If the S23 launch is any indicator (along with Samsung's financials), I expect the Fold 5 launch to tighten up a lot this year. Trade in values were down 15% this year so far.

This is honestly the aspect ratio I've been waiting for as I DON'T spend a lot of time consuming media on my phone and instead want a larger canvas to read or multitask. The Fold 4 is a bit annoying for video anyways because to get the largest size video you have to rotate the device and you end up seeing the crease a lot more easily when it's left to right rather than up and down.

The cover display though is where it's at. The Fold 4 helped a bit over the 3, but that wide squat display means it will be a ton more usable closed which is honestly still the majority of usage when it comes to a tablet foldable. I don't unfold it to shoot off a quick message when I'm at the grocery store or to select what podcast I'm listening to.

Above all through, I'm at the point now where it is getting difficult to use anything other than Pixel OS long term. It seems like every time I'm about to switch to a different phone, I glance at the dialer and see how often my phone is squelching SPAM phone calls and I reconsider.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Goddamn, like on cue as soon as I posted that my phone automatically screened a call from a spammy energy company.

Here's a top down view from Pocketnow's first impressions video. Which one looks more first gen from this perspective?

When closed it's only 3mm thicker than the S23 Ultra.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 11, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
is there any juice to the concern that a folding display that folds flat is more prone to damage from particles that get stuck in there

or is there a tiny rubber lining on the edge of the phone that protects it from that that I just can't discern

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

is there any juice to the concern that a folding display that folds flat is more prone to damage from particles that get stuck in there

or is there a tiny rubber lining on the edge of the phone that protects it from that that I just can't discern

The LOL BEZELS are higher than the display so it doesn't come in contact with itself. If you got a larger rock in there, that would be an issue, but that's an issue with the Fold 4 too.

Pocketnow's initial impressions video. The overall theme so far with the impressions videos are "this doesn't feel like a 1st gen device."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzNKQv6XatY

Biggest things everyone is concerned about is battery life due to the Tensor G2, but I'm cautiously optimistic. For 1, even though you have a much larger inner display, the smaller outer display has always seemed to balance things out for me for the Galaxy Fold (for every extra power you spend with it opened, you spend less when you do day to day stuff with it closed.) Also, given the brightness specs of the displays, it's clear that Google is actually using the latest and greatest for once and one of the big battery sucks in the Pixel 7 Pro is the display compared to other flagships since it's using an older panel.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol what if the device designed to distract you 24/7, consume all your free time and allow your boss to reach you after hours had 2 screens instead of one, and cost $1,800