Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1656256203432013824
Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

They're routing

https://kyivindependent.com/russias-brigade-flees-bakhmut/

The 72nd Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade abandoned their positions in Bakhmut and have fled. I thought it was just Prigozhin doing his usual bullshit but no it seems he was actually telling the truth about that one

Well, I mean, good for them.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Joke Miriam posted:

Didn’t they have like 95% of the city? Are they leaving all of it or just part of it?
This post from a Ukrainian goes into some detail. A limited UA counter-offensive captured around 3x2.6km. Not much in the grand scheme of things but a large amount of land liberated quickly compared to Russian Bakhmut advances.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay9ZxsulN2c

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Wait so Bakhmut wasn't even captured? They just ran away?

Lmao

Brave Sir Vlad ran away. He bravely ran away, away.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Given how much Russia threw at Bakhmut, the lines rolling back is insane unless they redeployed a lot of those troops back to the rest of the front in expectations of a counteroffensive.

The sad thing is a full victory in Bakhmut is a bit Pyrrhic since the city is rubble regardless and they'd no longer using it to pin down Wagner and a good chunk of Russian forces in a meat grinder.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

drat almost as if Russia should just get the gently caress out of a sovereign country they invaded for literally no reason

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Toxic Mental posted:

drat almost as if Russia should just get the gently caress out of a sovereign country they invaded for literally no reason

Russia did invade for a reason.

Just not a good, sane, or tangentially agreeable reason, mind you.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
ACAB especially traitor cops

https://gwaramedia.com/en/ex-policeman-who-betrayed-his-oath-and-worked-with-russians-for-70-000-rubles-to-face-life-imprisonment/

Gwara posted:

The Kharkiv Regional Prosecutor’s Office approved and sent to court an indictment against the former policeman on the fact of high treason committed under martial law (Part 2 of Article 111 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).

The pre-trial investigation established that in June 2022, a current National Police officer voluntarily went over to the enemy and collaborated with Russian invaders who occupied Kupiansk.

He willingly took the position of “acting head of the guard service group”. He later received even more favour from the occupiers. He became “commander of the department for the protection of convoying suspects and was accused of the temporary detention center of the Police Department No. 1 (located in Kupiansk).

A traitor received 70,000 Russian Rubles / $920 monthly for his work.

At the end of last year, law enforcement officers detained the man in Kupyansk district. The former officer is currently in custody. He will be tried in Chervonozavodskyi District Court of Kharkiv.

The sanction of the article provides for punishment in the form of imprisonment for a term of fifteen years or life imprisonment with confiscation of property.

The pre-trial investigation was conducted by investigators of the Second SID of the State Bureau of Investigation in Poltava, with operational support provided by the Second Operational Department of the State Bureau of Investigation in Poltava, the SSU Office in Kharkiv region and the Kharkiv Department of the Internal Security Department of the National Police of Ukraine.

Note: Following Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine, a person is presumed innocent of committing a crime and shall not be subjected to criminal punishment until his or her guilt is proven by law and established by a court verdict of guilty.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Budzilla posted:

This post from a Ukrainian goes into some detail. A limited UA counter-offensive captured around 3x2.6km. Not much in the grand scheme of things but a large amount of land liberated quickly compared to Russian Bakhmut advances.

3x2.6KM is a lot of maneuvering room and could give Ukraine very tiny upper hands in future localized counter attacks.

These are important in sieges though. As even small little cracks or fissures in the front can cause confusion

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deki posted:

Given how much Russia threw at Bakhmut, the lines rolling back is insane unless they redeployed a lot of those troops back to the rest of the front in expectations of a counteroffensive.

The sad thing is a full victory in Bakhmut is a bit Pyrrhic since the city is rubble regardless and they'd no longer using it to pin down Wagner and a good chunk of Russian forces in a meat grinder.
I mean they lost Bakhmut in the sense of it being a livable city like six months ago, but then dug in to prevent Russian atrocities from spreading any further and to demonstrate the fundamental impotence of the Russian military. In some sense assuming things go as they appear to be going right now this is one of the most important military victories in a generation because the length of the battle gave time to draw international attention and guarantee the results would seem far more important than might have otherwise made sense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Also a French reported was killed yesterday. In bakhmut.

That's a huge deal for the political space and I expect to see some realpolitik going on in the background. Maybe a piggybacking of Poland's mig-29 transfer? France doesn't like when it's people are murdered by war.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also Bakhmut had/has little if any tactical/strategic value even if Russia got total control/destruction of the city until Ukraine decided to use that as a meatgrinder to drain as much Russian power as possible, and drain power it did. Every Wagner shithead who died in Bakhmut is one less above-average equipped soldier deployed to torment civilians and/or try to rebuke Ukrainian attacks, and even just slowing down Russia's pace of advancing grants Ukraine more time to train elite fighters and supplies from the west

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also a French reported was killed yesterday. In bakhmut.

That's a huge deal for the political space and I expect to see some realpolitik going on in the background. Maybe a piggybacking of Poland's mig-29 transfer? France doesn't like when it's people are murdered by war.

Honestly doubt it will result in much, unless France was already looking for an excuse. One of the widely recognized risks of being a war reporter is being killed or injured in war, and it doesn't sound like there's any evidence he was deliberately targeted (he was killed in a rocket attack while with Ukrainian troops).

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Woke: Ukraine launches a land based counteroffensive in the donbass

Broke: Ukraine launches an amphibious counteroffensive to retake Crimea

Stroke: Ukraine has spent the last six months and billions in western aid building a space elevator, the counteroffensive is launched against russian Intel satellites

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If Ukraine built a space elevator in a year I say we backdoor them into NATO by just fully surrendering to Ukraine in advance. :hmmyes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The line goes up, and then the rods from God come down. Simple mathematics.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

General Bullshit > Ukraine War: rear end to rear end!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

Woke: Ukraine launches a land based counteroffensive in the donbass

Broke: Ukraine launches an amphibious counteroffensive to retake Crimea

Stroke: Ukraine has spent the last six months and billions in western aid building a space elevator, the counteroffensive is launched against russian Intel satellites

That's how we deploy the space marines!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Honestly doubt it will result in much, unless France was already looking for an excuse. One of the widely recognized risks of being a war reporter is being killed or injured in war, and it doesn't sound like there's any evidence he was deliberately targeted (he was killed in a rocket attack while with Ukrainian troops).

Yeah, Arman was right in the thick of it. Obviously every rocket Russia fires into Ukraine is a crime but unless theres evidence I dont know about its likely he was not specifically targeted

https://twitter.com/ArmanSoldin/status/1653078349877592070

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Noel update just posted. Here's some interesting stuff from it. Standard off-site CWs apply for the thread.

Long range missiles:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656403690536697857?t=2aPzalTsx515S24lCiIvzg&s=19

More air defense and Russian oligarch money:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656403697969029129?t=5wi0sxS8Tfr7uGGLn3fTMA&s=19

There's also maps but they're interspersed with videos so I'm not posting them. Not much change in the maps.

Noel posted:

To the front, in Bakhmut, there is fierce fighting but again no significant changes in the western part. On the flanks, on the other hand, things do happen. To the west around the O0506 near Khromove, the AFU has enlarged the buffer zone again. The road is still contested.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bakhmut is less of a modern day stalingrad and more a modern day Verdun both for the length and "bleed the French Ukrainians white" idiocy on display.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Bakhmut is what I imagine WW2 battles would have looked like if Germany tried to smash through the Maginot Line instead of going through the Ardennes.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656414302834663425
Situation is popping off in Bakhmut!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

No Russias Club (we can even take in Belarus later and still keep the name)

I was gonna make that joke. :mad:

(Lukashenko pops his head out the window and says hyuk)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Half a league more?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"Russia is moving slowly in Ukraine because it is conducting a special military operation, not a war. The Russian Federation is trying to preserve infrastructure and human lives." Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov

https://t.me/tass_agency/191446

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Maybe Russia can have two big military holidays back to back, going forward.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

the popes toes posted:

"Russia is moving slowly in Ukraine because it is conducting a special military operation, not a war. The Russian Federation is trying to preserve infrastructure and human lives." Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov

The Russian Federation is trying to preserve Russian infrastructure and sometimes failing at that.

The only truth in that statement is "Russia is moving slowly in Ukraine." That I agree with. I hope they move faster and by that I mean back to Russia.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

EorayMel posted:

Russia did invade for a reason.

Just not a good, sane, or tangentially agreeable reason, mind you.

The anglican church wants to turn God into a woman. :qq:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Look you're all fools. Russia's moving so slowly they're actually moving backwards to prevent further human casualties

Putin for Nobel peace prize

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Russia is about to get serious!! The good soldiers will come out if you retake more territory Ukraine!!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

the popes toes posted:

That's a strange way to describe murdering civilians and missiles hitting power stations and transformers.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nelson Mandingo posted:

hot

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

https://twitter.com/Madmechanic911/status/1656415119264415745

Something def seems to have been kicked off just as the Euro OSINT lot went to bed. Could be some interesting updates in the new few hours

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Good. It's about time we started worshipping Mother Earth again.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://twitter.com/Madmechanic911/status/1656415119264415745

Something def seems to have been kicked off just as the Euro OSINT lot went to bed. Could be some interesting updates in the new few hours

Pretty wild poo poo pretty happy with my surmise little that Ukraine would storm the ramparts as soon as Wagner discussed retreating. Even though Ragnar didn't retreat it definitely created a lot of confusion

Confusion is pretty important in the battle space especially with the Russian forces being as aligned as the late Habsburg army circa 1917

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Edit: lol nvm

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Shoulda refreshed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

the popes toes posted:

"The Russian Federation is trying to preserve infrastructure and human lives." Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov

This coming from the leadership sending near-daily launches of missiles into civilian infrastructure :fuckoff:

They're not even trying with their propaganda, are they? Or are they somehow trying to capture the Really Stupid Tankie market? Sorry if this is a little harsh, but the breathtaking level of bullshit in that one sentence has got me fuming IRL.