Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mind_Taker posted:

Tomatoes were “tameys”

Avocados were “cados”

Bananas were “bow-nanas”

Apple is apple

Pear is apple

Lemon is apple

Tomato is apple

E: applesnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Stuffed aminals!! Also called “friends” :3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh and pumpkins were "gumpins" for my son last Halloween

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My son’s favorite macaroon flavor this Passover was “takaccino chip”.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My kids have corrected most of the cute words they used when they were younger, but cheeks will forever be chookees. My son still gets caught up on package, saying pachick instead.

Chewbacca was Chewkabaca, Snoopy was Minnie, and PJ Masks was Chicka Max.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Our daughter's word for doggy is "Daddy" but she doesn't have a word for dad yet

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You should hear my daughter read her favorite book, "Colorful Coral Reefs"

She... can't quite say any of those words, but it comes together gloriously.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I've been through a fair bit of poo poo in my life but I can tell you that nothing really compares to the current experience of having a toddler with a UTI and pinworms AT THE SAME TIME

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter says “eggs” like “ohyegs” and I hope she never stops.

Pinworms AND a UTI?! Oof, thoughts and prayers to both of you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just had to make pizza dough because my daughter... wanted to make dough. I don't really have plans for any dough but I guess having extra pizza dough around can't hurt.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
poo poo I just made banana muffins for mostly the same reasons.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh my boyfriend has to reinforce that we are currently calling the gulf and the bay the “ocean” because it’s not yet time to teach the four year old complex geographic features.

I work in cartography so this is a STRUGGLE for me. 😅

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

esquilax posted:

Our daughter's word for doggy is "Daddy" but she doesn't have a word for dad yet

My boys calls dogs "woof woofs" which is my fault for showing him Pokemon. Animals are called what they say, that's the pattern. He has a noise maker farm toy that backs him up on this. He presses button, dog lights up and says woof woof

-------

While I was drafting that post on my dog walk my boy pooped and reached down into his diaper and we had to bathe and sooth and tell mom and baby and other baby that everything is gonna be alright

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Great, we just got back from my mom's house where my kid was horsing around, fell on her face and bit a chunk out of both lips. It's not bleeding anymore but it's probably really painful.

I'm guessing this is a case where doctors can't really do much and we just have to wait for it to heal?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Oh my boyfriend has to reinforce that we are currently calling the gulf and the bay the “ocean” because it’s not yet time to teach the four year old complex geographic features.

I work in cartography so this is a STRUGGLE for me. 😅

I live in Minnesota but my wife’s from CA. We (I) enjoy referring to the Pacific as a lake whenever possible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As far as I'm concerned, Lake Ontario is an inland sea.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Two of our friends are oceanography adjacent so I get to annoy them AND my wife by encouraging my daughter to call the ocean a lake. It’s great. Gonna get their toddler to do it too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Childcare woes: We ware still on forever search for sitter who meets "acceptable" criteria. We were suggested a lady who didn't speak english, speaks Spanish and would mainly translate through her daughter. Fine, great, somebody for this largely temporary year.

Wife immidiately vetod. Communication so key for her. I was before-schooled at a Scottish granny's house and my ma couldn't understand her for poo poo. Just ugh, she had such exquisite childcare growing up which is plainly not attainable where we are at and that is such a problem

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

dismas posted:

I live in Minnesota but my wife’s from CA. We (I) enjoy referring to the Pacific as a lake whenever possible.

I’m from Minnesota originally and I love talking about lake beaches. It makes east coast people VERY ANGRY

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
"restaur-not"

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I'm a little late to the toddler-isms chat but Toddler had so many I kept a list. She doesn't really use these anymore but these were some of my favorites:

Mockaroo (guacamole)
Bloobies (blueberries)
Susu (tofu) (this one stuck around for a long time)
Titu (thank you)
Foffee (coffee)
Kiki (sunscreen)
Keem (diaper cream)
Badere (right there)
Sisu (excuse me)
Poot (spoon)

Toddler also loves to say she doesn't like or want whatever I'm making her for dinner but then will hoover it up at meal time and say she liked it. It's always a nice reminder for me to tell her what I'm serving instead of ask her what she wants for dinner.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My favorite thing right now is trying to have any conversation with my wife while our 2 year old is in the room.

Wife: Quick question for you.

2 year old: I'M EATING BIG BITES.

Me: I see your big bites. Okay let's be quiet for one second so mommy can talk.

Wife: I was thinking about -

2 year old: BIG BITES. I'M EATING BIG BIIIIIIIIITES.

Me: I see that. Okay, I'm going to talk to mommy now (lol yeah right)

Wife: What do you want to do about -

2 year old: I HAVE 5 BIG BITES LEFT. I HAVE 5 BIG BITES. I'M IN MY HIGHCHAIR.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Oh god yeah, same.

Husband and I trying to have any kind of conversation at all:

Toddler: Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. MOMMY. MOMMY. MOMMY

What, child?

Toddler: I have a booger. ::holds booger out for me to take::

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh yeah, in the interest of Being Better About Establishing Boundaries, I'm trying to be more assertive about saying "hey daddy and I are having a conversation right now, please occupy yourself for a bit." I guess that is actually a good lesson for him to learn along the lines of him not being the center of the universe 24/7.

In other news, his dad and I actually get some grownup time this weekend because kiddo's mom is taking him for mother's day weekend. I tried not to celebrate too much because I do actually like this child lmao.

Grown up date night is still pretty great, though.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Spoiler alert. It doesn't stop after the toddler stage. My 7yo still has trouble respecting taking turns in a conversation. And don't get me started on the eavesdropping. If she catches an interesting word while we're talking, she stops what she's doing and says "what did you say?" My daughter, you are not a part of this conversation, I'm not repeating it for you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bedtime and sleep have really gotten out of control with the 3 year old so it's back to sleep training for us. modified ferber method. we already have a very set and established bedtime routine, his issue is just that once it's over he just cries and yells for 30 minutes to an hour before finally going to sleep. last night instead of rushing in there every time he starts crying i would give him 10 or 15 minutes to try to calm down. which... he did not calm down, but it's only the first night. it still took him about 45 minutes to get to sleep but only needing to go in there three times instead of, like, a dozen times was so much easier on me.

still, this feels harder than it was when he was a little baby because toddlers are so much bigger and louder. hopefully he responds quickly.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's 3am, I know where my toddler is, and she will NOT shut up about wolves.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Spoiler alert. It doesn't stop after the toddler stage. My 7yo still has trouble respecting taking turns in a conversation. And don't get me started on the eavesdropping. If she catches an interesting word while we're talking, she stops what she's doing and says "what did you say?" My daughter, you are not a part of this conversation, I'm not repeating it for you.

Yeah, that's fair, my nieces were definitely like that...well...nope...never stopped actually. lmao

Like the oldest became a teenager and then it was full on "I know everything and you older people are dumb as hell." I love her so much.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

External Organs posted:

It's 3am, I know where my toddler is, and she will NOT shut up about wolves.

I have this problem also. There was ONE picture in a book of a wolf in a window and now wolves in windows are an existential threat constantly looming over this house

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have this problem also. There was ONE picture in a book of a wolf in a window and now wolves in windows are an existential threat constantly looming over this house

I should clarify that this is actually an improvement over our previous fixation, which was “dragons in the hallway”. Understandably this was an even bigger threat since these imaginary dragons (which are very real and not imaginary to my toddler) we’re INSIDE the house

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Holy poo poo my kids are playing together and not screaming or hitting oh wait nevermind

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Holy poo poo my kids are playing together and not screaming or hitting oh wait nevermind

You jinxed it

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Brawnfire posted:

This happened to me yesterday when I was outside talking to the neighbors and my kids were playing in the yard. I was saying how much they love each other and they get along really well, and as the last word was coming out of my mouth my daughter shoved my son off the trike he was riding and sped away with it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Glad my 2 year old is excited about having a sister because looks like she is officially on the way, in-laws are already driving here to look after my daughter while we go to the hospital shiiiiiiiiit

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I would take recs on books for introducing my 2.5 yo daughter to the concept that she’s going to be a big sister. I think we probably are gonna have to broach the subject in week or two here.

She really, really loves books and seems to interpret her feelings through them a lot so I’m thinking introducing the idea through books might be a good way to go.

Idk. She’s little, not sure she’ll really understand.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Glad my 2 year old is excited about having a sister because looks like she is officially on the way, in-laws are already driving here to look after my daughter while we go to the hospital shiiiiiiiiit

Good luck!!!!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

dismas posted:

I would take recs on books for introducing my 2.5 yo daughter to the concept that she’s going to be a big sister. I think we probably are gonna have to broach the subject in week or two here.

She really, really loves books and seems to interpret her feelings through them a lot so I’m thinking introducing the idea through books might be a good way to go.

Idk. She’s little, not sure she’ll really understand.

We used Daniel Tiger especially (TV episodes and the book versions, Big Brother Daniel and The Baby Is Here) as she was very into it already. Also can recommend Hello In There, Little Miss Big Sis, and I Am A Big Sister. She was 2.5 when her brother was born and I think she did get it pretty well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does anyone here have or had their kid(s) in a Reggio Emilia daycare/preschool?

We are considering having Mini Pony go to one. His current daycare is great on the whole but is a bit of a madhouse of noise and stimulation because it is somewhat of an open layout. He keeps saying he wants to play at home instead of school and gets upset when we drop him off, and I strongly suspect that the hectic environment is a large part of that.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

They're great, but imho any daycare/preschool that has a guiding philosophy that a child is a whole person is leaps and bounds better than the alternative daycares. But always tour the facility during the school day to check out the energy.

My oldest loves the preschool we've sent them to. It was calming, and she really blossomed. My twins have gone to the same program, but their experience is a bit different, less calm, mostly because they bring along their twin energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Shifty Pony posted:

We are considering having Mini Pony go to one. His current daycare is great on the whole but is a bit of a madhouse of noise and stimulation because it is somewhat of an open layout. He keeps saying he wants to play at home instead of school and gets upset when we drop him off, and I strongly suspect that the hectic environment is a large part of that.

My kid goes to one and he loves it. He can be a little sensitive to noise/stimulation too and the teachers have mentioned that. They said if they notice he’s upset they will ask him and guide him to a quiet corner for a little bit. The daycare is part of a Jewish temple so he’s learning about culture and religion that way (even though we’re agnostic by way of Buddhism and Catholicism). My only gripe about that is packing kosher lunches when I like a turkey Swiss sandwich or make pork dumplings.