Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/04/landmark-hotel-laguna-shut-down-by-city-after-security-for-competing-interests-get-in-altercation/

Private cops got into a turf war, on behalf of the investors that hired them.

Shadowrun economics is almost here!

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 00:52 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all I’m saying is that it’s different. and lovely in different ways.

But you generally don’t find railroad ties and dead animals in loads of US SBM.

not everything about the “rules based” international system is bad. it’s like having a turd in each hand and somebody telling you the turd in the right hand is worse.

back when I was in the intl SBM trade it was lol
when our Japanese customer’s customer would send me back 2 flies they found during unloading.

there was a bird once and then we installed like fake birds of prey things and have air blowing outward from loading so poo poo doesn’t come in. I’m pretty glad I’m out of intl soybeans because the company burned me out.

you better believe I insured every shipment, but we sold it with insurance included per the incoterms(which btw everyone gets wrong, I got tired of correcting people)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/04/landmark-hotel-laguna-shut-down-by-city-after-security-for-competing-interests-get-in-altercation/

finally anarcho-capitalism is here

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

I think all opinions are bad.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all I’m saying is that it’s different. and lovely in different ways.

But you generally don’t find railroad ties and dead animals in loads of US SBM.

not everything about the “rules based” international system is bad. it’s like having a turd in each hand and somebody telling you the turd in the right hand is worse.

it was me, i put the rats in the cargo hold

come on dude, i was referring to the fact that the US runs the international trade system as a continuation of the european empires of old and uses the dollar as a tool in the maintenance of that order where the 'underdeveloped' most of the world exports raw materials and labor for cheap and imports manufactured goods for a lot with local comprador elites acting as enforcers, the proceeds of which vanish into tax havens and the western financial system in general, you just think that it's all the same because you live in the more comfortable side of this arrangement

if you want to learn a bit more about international trade beyond the operational details of how it's done i recommend Unequal Exchange: A Study of the Imperialism of Trade by Emmanuel Arghiri and looking into world-systems theory by Immanuel Wallerstein, don't ask me why people named manuels like international relations, it is like it is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1656407700572635136?t=DHautNlDCDwB3UBfdGExDw&s=19

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

God drat I poked my screen so hard saving this gif I knocked my phone out of my hand

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Regardless of anything in that video, the eyes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Regardless of anything in that video, the eyes

She never blinks and looks completely soulless

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

She never blinks and looks completely soulless

she blinks constantly?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

she blinks constantly?

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1656000879772794880?t=qa1kTprAMlCss58JGn9ZgQ&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, my opinion of the CPI data, it isn't great. While food prices haven't increased since February, fuel prices actually went up and will likely show up in May data while overall prices remain as stubborn as ever.

The Fed is still "talking about the data" but the data really isn't moving in the direction they want and is still well above the "zone" they have targeted. Manufacturing is in dismal shape as well.

It is a bit of a coin flip if we have negative GDP growth this quarter.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

bagual posted:

come on dude, i was referring to the fact that the US runs the international trade system as a continuation of the european empires of old and uses the dollar as a tool in the maintenance of that order where the 'underdeveloped' most of the world exports raw materials and labor for cheap and imports manufactured goods for a lot with local comprador elites acting as enforcers, the proceeds of which vanish into tax havens and the western financial system in general, you just think that it's all the same because you live in the more comfortable side of this arrangement

if you want to learn a bit more about international trade beyond the operational details of how it's done i recommend Unequal Exchange: A Study of the Imperialism of Trade by Emmanuel Arghiri and looking into world-systems theory by Immanuel Wallerstein, don't ask me why people named manuels like international relations, it is like it is

King Kamehameha conquers and exploits the Hawaiian islands like this, McKinley/Dole conquers and exploits the Hawaiian islands like this

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

things are okay on average. worse than last year but better than they will be next year.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

"excluding housing"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bagual posted:

perhaps international trade cannot be completely understood by reading one book :thunkher:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lmao they're going to eviscerate SEO and ironically annihilate the major market for LLMs in the process

destroying the importance of search rankings is not something I had on my bingo card for how the internet ad pyramid would come tumbling down

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2011 high was 75

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

“Police determined a security guard struck an opposing security guard and made an arrest,” a statement from City Manager Shohreh Dupuis said. “As both security teams were armed, police responded accordingly.”

i think this means the police arrested him

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/LukePlunkett/status/1656435603368718337

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

err posted:

"excluding housing"

"things are relatively okay"

relative to what

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we literally need one less justin wolfers

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

2011 high was 75

What does this mean? Is it related to the debt ceiling?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Zodium posted:

it doesn't have to be better to be good. it only has to diminish america and europe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Imgur gonna die
Reddit gonna die
Google gonna die

Book havers stay winning

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imgur gonna die
Reddit gonna die
Google gonna die

Book havers stay winning

good

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

cya nerds I'm going back to altavista

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I mean, I keep looking at that screenshot and I'm legitimately coming around to the take that this can kill Google. That's really bad, to the point that it's going to make Google useless. And I don't mean useless as in "this is bad lol" but as in there is going to be no use case for anyone to rely on Google search results anymore; you might as well just put your search directly into Amazon. They're actually going to destroy their ad business by undermining their own platform.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, I keep looking at that screenshot and I'm legitimately coming around to the take that this can kill Google. That's really bad, to the point that it's going to make Google useless. And I don't mean useless as in "this is bad lol" but as in there is going to be no use case for anyone to rely on Google search results anymore; you might as well just put your search directly into Amazon. They're actually going to destroy their ad business by undermining their own platform.

Lol

Lmao

Sure hope I can remember how to use a loving card catalog in a loving library

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Paradoxish posted:

the only other option is to pay people to do training data entry, but the entire point of google is *they dont pay for the information*

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if you're older than 60 or 70, you won't care

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
siri gets all its information from google i think so it would be extremely funny to see it break

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

I need someone to explain the implications of this to me like I'm an idiot, which I am

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think the #1 thing that makes me think AI is 90% hype is apple isnt jumping head first into that poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ai is just the fad to replace crypto now that crypto is dead

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FistEnergy posted:

I need someone to explain the implications of this to me like I'm an idiot, which I am

google relies on user generated information
user generated information (blogs, posts, news articles) are only generated based on people viewing them--whether that is for money or for clout
if user generated information receives no views because it is isolated entirely in google because it is stolen, then no one will generate information
without user generated information, google cannot present anything to you

it is a virus that kills the host

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

ai is just the fad to replace crypto now that crypto is dead

It's exactly this, but every time these things go belly up there's a lot of collateral; this might literally tear a hole in the blasted net.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I know how we can get better billionaires

:guillotine:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

anime was right posted:

google relies on user generated information
user generated information (blogs, posts, news articles) are only generated based on people viewing them--whether that is for money or for clout
if user generated information receives no views because it is isolated entirely in google because it is stolen, then no one will generate information
without user generated information, google cannot present anything to you

it is a virus that kills the host

Also, will change the nature of search terms, leaving behind a lot of media that was tailored to Google's algorithms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlutieFlake posted:

What does this mean? Is it related to the debt ceiling?

People are hedging against the debt ceiling implosion. They believe it to be 3x more likely to happen than in 2011.