Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah that bothers me too, app notifications should be allowed to be scheduled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

smoobles posted:

For reasons that only make sense to me, I want to customize my phone so certain apps don’t work while I’m at home.

It’s a long story but I’m way too distracted working from home and need to block some apps to force myself to get outta the house

Would Tasker help with something like this? I used Tasker ages ago but haven’t needed it for a while

How about focus mode?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

smoobles posted:

For reasons that only make sense to me, I want to customize my phone so certain apps don’t work while I’m at home.

It’s a long story but I’m way too distracted working from home and need to block some apps to force myself to get outta the house

Would Tasker help with something like this? I used Tasker ages ago but haven’t needed it for a while

So, this is how I would do it:

Sign up for Nextdns.io and configure your home router to use it as the DNS it hands out for your DHCP addresses. In nextdns, configure it to block the addresses of the apps you want to not work while at home. then when you leave the house, you will be off your network and using DNS from your cell provider or what ever Wifi you are on, and those apps should work again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yup focus mode is designed exactly for this

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wow focus mode is great! Thanks everyone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, outlook has the ability in the app itself to schedule notifications beyond the phone level DnD.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I mean, outlook has the ability in the app itself to schedule notifications beyond the phone level DnD.

Yeah, this is what I use for Outlook and Teams on my phone. They have built in solutions for this.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

I don't have an answer for you, but I really wish Android had a two layer Do Not Disturb system, one to filter out work apps and the other for everything. Like, don't give me Outlook notifications after 6 pm or on the weekends, completely silence my phone at night.

Can't help you with outlook, but I use Quiet for Gmail to silence my work email exactly like you describe.

liquidplumr
Mar 22, 2006
I'm a big fan of Buzzkill, Does everything mentioned here plus I love the cool down for keeping an active group chat from dinging your phone every 2 seconds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I finally decided to check this out, seems like decent enough to block work apps. BUT, you can only set one schedule. So, I can't tell it evenings during the week and all day during the weekend. Or, different times on different days if my schedule wasn't consistent. Why, Google, why?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Uthor posted:

Why, Google, why?

Android Apps: Why, Google, why?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My Samsung seems to have a much more in-depth modes system. You can set multiple different modes and routines and you have plenty of options for time controls. You can set modes to trigger in certain places, at certain time periods on specific days of the week with an optional exception for holidays, when a bunch of other conditions about the phone are met, all sorts. I didn't have to get into those digital wellbeing settings, either, it was just there already.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

liquidplumr posted:

I'm a big fan of Buzzkill, Does everything mentioned here plus I love the cool down for keeping an active group chat from dinging your phone every 2 seconds.

Way easier and absolutely foolproof method is to just disable notification sounds. Uses less battery, no sketchy app, etc.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does Android have a native equivalent to iOS Shortcuts or Focus modes yet?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Pixel has Focus Mode, I'd assume Samsung does too

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

smoobles posted:

Google Pixel has Focus Mode, I'd assume Samsung does too

damnit....I have the 6 pro, but I put lineage os on it because I don't like stock android. id like to check out focus mode though. maybe I'll try it on one of my old ones.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wish Focus mode also had a Reverse Focus mode where it blocks work apps & work email in evenings and weekends.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

smoobles posted:

I wish Focus mode also had a Reverse Focus mode where it blocks work apps & work email in evenings and weekends.

I keep my work stuff in a work profile for this and then turn the profile off when not at work. stops all notifications.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think this was brought up earlier this year, but what's a good launcher these days? I'm having a cosmetic bug with my wallpaper in Nova and my phone says it hasn't updated in over a year (but the Play Store says it updated recently?).

I like to:
-Remove the search bar
-Change the spacing of my icons on my home screen
-Hide icon/app name labels on my home screen
-Hide apps and make folders in my app drawer

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Authenticator updated and now allows you to upload your codes to your Google account. You can still use it without doing that as well.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Uthor posted:

I think this was brought up earlier this year, but what's a good launcher these days? I'm having a cosmetic bug with my wallpaper in Nova and my phone says it hasn't updated in over a year (but the Play Store says it updated recently?).

I like to:
-Remove the search bar

The stock one, if you don't need anything fancy. Niagara if you want a really minimalistic one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uthor posted:

I like to:
-Remove the search bar
I'm very much enjoying Neo Launcher (it's not on the play store). It does all those things, I think.

There's even a Neo Feed addon for it that replaces the Google feed with whatever rss feeds you like.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

Nova hasn't updated in over a year, no. But Nova Beta has recently updated. It's still just a one man dev team, so Nova v8 is taking awhile.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

The stock one, if you don't need anything fancy. Niagara if you want a really minimalistic one.

Neither does the things I requested...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 20, 2023

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Uthor posted:

I like to:
-Remove the search bar

The latest beta branch apk is available from here. They make announcements on their discord. This update was on May 11th.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I am turned on Beta in the Nova app. So far I haven't noticed the bug that was annoying me. Much thanks. I thought the project was completely dropped.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hark posted:

I keep my work stuff in a work profile for this and then turn the profile off when not at work. stops all notifications.

Wait you can have multiple profiles on an Android?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

smoobles posted:

Wait you can have multiple profiles on an Android?

System -> allow multiple users

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

holky gently caress

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

I am turned on Beta in the Nova app. So far I haven't noticed the bug that was annoying me. Much thanks. I thought the project was completely dropped.

I thought Nova wasn't dropped so much as abandoned by everyone because they sold out to some seriously scummy people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Inceltown posted:

I thought Nova wasn't dropped so much as abandoned by everyone because they sold out to some seriously scummy people.

Now that you say that...

I think the bug popped up since I got on the beta, maybe I'll keep looking around at other apps.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I like smart launcher :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google Chat has been getting a lot of nice enhancements lately for those that use it. It's the primary means it's communication in my friend group.

They added threaded responses to Spaces a bit ago, but now they added the ability to quote along with the ability to edit it delete you own responses in all chats. Small things I know, but nice quality of life stuff.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

bull3964 posted:

Google Chat has been getting a lot of nice enhancements lately for those that use it. It's the primary means it's communication in my friend group.

They added threaded responses to Spaces a bit ago, but now they added the ability to quote along with the ability to edit it delete you own responses in all chats. Small things I know, but nice quality of life stuff.

What actually got you all to switch over from whatever you were using before? Feel like it's hard to find a good enough reason with texting apps to get people to actually start using another service, even if it's like technically superior or whatever.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
For us, it was a specific AT&T tower that seemed to not deliver mms to one specific number about half the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pvt. Parts posted:

What actually got you all to switch over from whatever you were using before? Feel like it's hard to find a good enough reason with texting apps to get people to actually start using another service, even if it's like technically superior or whatever.

We really didn't have to switch since we all pretty much started on Google Talk back in the day as a web based chat platform before even most people had smartphones. Then all of the iPhone users ditched the platform after the 3G and we've been petty much exclusive Android since. So Talk went to Hangouts went to Chat.

SMS/MMS was never really much of a thing because carriers were charging per message right into the smartphone era and iMessage was never a thing because no one has iPhones.

Even to this day I have like 2 contacts on my list that I could use iMessage with. Basically only my sister and my friends wife have iPhones (and my friend's wife uses Chat with the rest of us.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 24, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The default samsung s20 texting app is so terrible. Long mms's are locked behind a "show full text" click which brings you to a dedicated screen where you have to click back to continue reading the thread. loving signal.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to stop Google from trying to make me log in to a website when I visit it? For example, if I'm browsing a thread here in the Awful App, and follow a link to a tweet, it'll open the page in Firefox, but then Google takes over, like, half of the screen trying to get me to log in to Twitter.

Its very annoying.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a way to stop Google from trying to make me log in to a website when I visit it? For example, if I'm browsing a thread here in the Awful App, and follow a link to a tweet, it'll open the page in Firefox, but then Google takes over, like, half of the screen trying to get me to log in to Twitter.

Its very annoying.

It does this even if you're already logged in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Isn't it just Twitter trying to get you to log in?

In any case I use UntrackMe to redirect requests for Twitter to Nitter, which improves the experience.