Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

Show me in the charter where it says I don't have the right to burn to death

it's just a different form of MAID after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/xghostnotesx/status/1656097853012606976?s=20

well now they can't leave!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am working at a refinery right now and my team has made friends with one of the operators here. He's a kind dude in his mid 50s, just a really sweet guy. Brings us treats and stuff, always quick to help. Talks a lot about helping out in the community. We've talked to him a lot.

The other day someone went on a rant about how Trudeau had to die, and this kindly gentleman immediately joined in, wondering aloud why no one had done it yet.

It boggles my loving mind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tsyni posted:

I am working at a refinery right now and my team has made friends with one of the operators here. He's a kind dude in his mid 50s, just a really sweet guy. Brings us treats and stuff, always quick to help. Talks a lot about helping out in the community. We've talked to him a lot.

The other day someone went on a rant about how Trudeau had to die, and this kindly gentleman immediately joined in, wondering aloud why no one had done it yet.

It boggles my loving mind.

Yeah, I expect every Albertan has a broadly similar story -- I know I have several! Here's the thing: they're not actually nice people. They are transactionally pleasant, or they are nice to you because you're "the right sort." What we saw during COVID is all these "nice" people wouldn't lift a goddamn finger, or accept even the slightest inconvenience to themselves, in order to save human life.

Plantation owners were, I'm sure, always polite and very pleasant in "respectable company". John Brown (happy birthday!) I'm guessing, was less so.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I expect every Albertan has a broadly similar story -- I know I have several! Here's the thing: they're not actually nice people. They are transactionally pleasant, or they are nice to you because you're "the right sort." What we saw during COVID is all these "nice" people wouldn't lift a goddamn finger, or accept even the slightest inconvenience to themselves, in order to save human life.

Plantation owners were, I'm sure, always polite and very pleasant in "respectable company". John Brown (happy birthday!) I'm guessing, was less so.

I am sure this isn't that surprising, but I am actually in BC. Northern interior of course, but...yeah. It's a really weird disconnect.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Tsyni posted:

I am sure this isn't that surprising, but I am actually in BC. Northern interior of course, but...yeah. It's a really weird disconnect.

That is only BC in a legal sense; east of Rockies = Alberta for all intents and purposes (actually Alberta extends further, to Kelowna and much of Vancouver Island). My childhood was spent in Fort St John. The "Big Smoke" there is Edmonton, slightly less major shopping trips were Grande Prairie.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What can even be done for people who have such a powerful case of Facebook-enabled oppositional defiant disorder that they insist the now-annual AB/BC wildfire season is fake news?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mad Hamish posted:

What can even be done for people who have such a powerful case of Facebook-enabled oppositional defiant disorder that they insist the now-annual AB/BC wildfire season is fake news?

Tell them to walk into the fake fire.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
That's all well and good until these idiots get their innocent families killed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wish I could say I can't believe that they think they can just organize a truck convoy to solve this problem, but, well.....

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I wish I could say I can't believe that they think they can just organize a truck convoy to solve this problem, but, well.....

They are more than welcome to try

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

If you blow your airhorn at the fire it sucks out all the oxygen, putting it out. Checkmate liberals :smug:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tell them to walk into the fake fire.

The problem is that COVID taught us that they will walk into the "fake" fire, and then we will have to send people to rescue them, they will take up spaces in burn wards while we heal them, and then we will hurt their and their family's feelings if we dare to suggest that what they did was a demonstration of stupidity rather than an act of brave resistance against Trudeau or trans people or whatever the gently caress insane "logic" they are parroting that particular day.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
The government really needs to put billboards up, "JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN THINK IT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Aces High posted:

I mean, I'm all for leaving people to die if you have an evacuation order. As far as I'm concerned, you have accepted your fate, and trying to convince you to leave is a waste of resources that could be better served working with the people who are abiding by the order

Edit: yow, I meant IF you choose to ignore an evacuation order. I'm not advocating that we abandon entire communities if there isn't quick movement when an order is posted.

lol surely no government would ever conglate the 2 categories!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CUPE 5047 went on strike today, mostly school support workers of various types. Hopefully they can get a good deal. Can't find their actual demands but I'm sure they're the same as everyone else, pay us enough to eat AND wear shoes, stop privatising us, etc. Good luck to them

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

The government really needs to put billboards up, "JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN THINK IT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE"

Just because you can think it doesn't make it true.
Just because you said it doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
Just because you were told what you said was stupid doesn't make you smarter than everybody else.
Touch grass.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Question Period today.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-under-fire-for-passport-redesign-legion-calls-it-a-poor-decision-to-replace-iconic-images-1.6393018

quote:

Noticeably absent from Canada's just-revealed passport redesign are certain images, a move that has some accusing the federal government of attempting to "erase" the country's history.

The former passport design features images of the Fathers of Confederation, the Vimy Ridge Memorial in France and athlete and activist Terry Fox, but these nods to Canada's past will not be featured in the new passport, according to officials.

The new design, revealed Wednesday morning, features symbols the government says it hopes will reflect Canadian life, including more images of nature.

But the changes have provoked criticism.

In a statement, the Royal Canadian Legion said it is “disappointed by the decision to remove an image that signifies the sacrifices made for the very sort of freedom the passport provides.”

“The Vimy Memorial was a fundamental image, also representing a defining moment in Canada, a country emerging as an independent nation with limitless potential,” the Legion said. “Removing that image in the context of a design change and without knowing the rationale was, to put it bluntly, a poor decision.”

Brad West, the mayor of Terry Fox’s hometown of Port Coquitlam, B.C., expressed similar disappointment about the redesign’s removal of historical images, saying Canadians need “more Terry Fox, not less.”

"My thought is that whoever made this decision needs to give their head a shake,” West said in an interview with CTV National News' Glen McGregor on Wednesday.

“Across this country, Terry Fox inspired and continues to inspire millions of Canadians. And millions of people around the world. And so we need more Terry Fox not less Terry Fox. And I just think this is a really bad decision. It should be addressed. It should be reversed.”

Pierre Poilievre, leader of the Official Opposition of Canada, fired questions about the deletion of history in the House of Commons Wednesday, saying, “They erased Vimy Ridge to put in an image of a squirrel eating a nut. They erased Terry Fox, a guy who ran halfway across the country to fight cancer to put in a man raking leaves. And they erased Quebec City in order to put in what appears to be an image of a boyhood prime minister swimming at Harrington Lake. Could this prime minister be any more out of touch with Canadians?”

When asked why prior historical images were not included in the redesign, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Sean Fraser, who announced the changes in Ottawa on Wednesday, explained that the designs were based on consultations with government departments, such Canadian Heritage and Indigenous communities.

Families, Children and Social Development Minister Karina Gould, who helped announce the changes, and who oversees Service Canada, said that the redesign – including images of polar bears, people jumping in a lake, and birds in winter – capture the “spirit of who we are as Canadians.”

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh no. Change.

You still have your old keepsake passport with the old images for old time's sake :shrug:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have to say that Terry Fox is probably the least objectionable of those icons. Aren't we putting natural things on there instead? More Three Sisters love, I guess

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
As long as they don’t take the canadarm or bob and doug mckenzie off the passport I don’t care

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We'll never get stubbies for a buck again

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

These whiny people need to have their head flushed in a toilet. Or, you know, anything else that might give them some perspective on life.

I work with a few veterans, and that was a new experience for me. What I learned was they absolutely don't give a gently caress about any of the things these loving fossils whinge about. I've come to respect them for their public service, not their "sacrifice" or their participation in an absurd national mythos.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aw man, they're taking Terry Fox off?

... wait, did he do anything bad that I should know about? Because if not.., aw man, why take off Terry?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can we please get people burning their woke Trudeau passports

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Randalor posted:

Aw man, they're taking Terry Fox off?

... wait, did he do anything bad that I should know about? Because if not.., aw man, why take off Terry?

It's a completely new design, is there any particular reason to keep him specifically, rather than any of the other things they didn't keep?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The only time I've cared about what's in my passport is when I've reached the utter depths of boredom on a longhaul flight and start leafing through the pages, and the memory of that only lasts until I reach my actual destination. I can't imagine actually giving a poo poo about this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They look pretty cool under UV light, and for $160 for a 10-year passport they'd better!!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Like, we rotate images on our money every so often. Helps with preventing counterfeiting. Why should passports be any different?

Somehow I don't think Terry Fox will be forgotten.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Albino Squirrel posted:

Like, we rotate images on our money every so often. Helps with preventing counterfeiting. Why should passports be any different?

That’s pretty much the reason passports are redesigned every 10 years or so and this has been in the works for awhile.

Poilievre just knows that he and the conservative columnist class can generate some cheap anti-Trudeau outrage over this for our minor league culture wars. The unveiled redesign got the usual suspects—Lilley, Coyne, Gerson, et al.—all riled up and then the Legion got in on it so it made the news.

I came across an old Heather Mallick column from the last redesign under Harper where she was all up in arms about it having too many men and no images of Toronto in it because Harper doesn’t think Torontonians are Canadian or something so plus ça change…

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Who?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The passport should include the image of police and soldiers beating the piss out of the Flu Trux Klan and burning their rigs, but sadly that never happened so we can't have it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/JuliaWongCBC/status/1656456898143453184?s=20

CanPol 2023: We need to live with the fires. They're here

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I want to see a stressed out firefighter with an Export A in his hands being like, "fine, loving wander into the fire, see if we loving care. I can't save you assholes from yourself."

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaWongCBC/status/1656456898143453184?s=20

CanPol 2023: We need to live with the fires. They're here

Months from now you awake in a panic to your house violently seizing all around you. Somehow you can hear your phone buzzing through the cacophony and manage to grab at it and read:

EMERGENCY ALERT / ALERTE D'URGENCE
Massive 8.7 earthquake detected, residents are advised to live with it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A friend of mine just returned from Japan, and she said they would make public announcements (presumably in the larger urban centres) as earthquakes were occurring. Like, she recorded a video of a public announcement and the shocks happening less than a minute later.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Aces High posted:

A friend of mine just returned from Japan, and she said they would make public announcements (presumably in the larger urban centres) as earthquakes were occurring. Like, she recorded a video of a public announcement and the shocks happening less than a minute later.

Yeah I was too optimistic, the emergency alert in Canada would arrive an hour later after half your house collapsed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

It's a completely new design, is there any particular reason to keep him specifically, rather than any of the other things they didn't keep?

Because otherwise how would people learn history? Not all of us are lucky enough to routinely traipse past lawn ornaments depicting dead white guys

https://twitter.com/muradhem/status/1656342187594874891

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Afraid to look at the results of asking an AI to generate a venn diagram of "people with Ukraine flags in their display whatevers" and "people quietly, carefully, toeing a line labeled Ol' School Fascism"

[Disclaimer; I don't think supporting Ukraine makes you a fascist, but I also have pattern recognition, unfortunately]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

infernal machines posted:

I don't think it's a big deal really but he did spur a pretty large movement towards funding cancer research that has raised iirc hundreds of millions of dollars. So it seems like a bright spot in our history that might be worth highlighting moreso than people jumping in a lake or whatever. But there's plenty of statues and other ways he is commemorated so whatever.