Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Catching up on recent episodes, Mr Books is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'd assumed it was going to be a riff on the little-remembered kevin costner serial killer movie mr. brooks but what we got was so much better

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's fun seeing everyone post their signatures. You can watch Scotty's signature go from an approximation of "Auckerman" into a drawing of a snake looking over its shoulder.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Great bits in most too:

- Dr. Sweetchat's return
- Mr. Books
- Calling out the Snake Eyes aren't a thing in domino's
- Everything about the Pigshit twins
- Will's character being immediately rejected and getting labeled the black face character

There were more, but those were all beautiful.

Just finished the 14th anniversary episode, and I absolutely loved the Pig poo poo Twins as much as I completely checked out of Will Hines' character (everyone else accusing him of blackface was fun, though).

I think Will Hines might be my least favorite recurring person on CBB, I can't remember any single standout character or bit he's done, and I can't remember anyone else whose character repeatedly just gets rejected as boring by everyone else.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hard disagree, he's one of my favorite guests. He's a really talented Andy Daly caliber improviser imo (though I'll admit none of his characters are on the tier of what Andy has done); I don't think Scott and co try to undermine him because they think the characters have nothing to them (I doubt he'd be invited back so many times if they had any issue with him), it's the Andy Daly thing where they like to go in and derail him hard and make him squirm to try and get to the thing he actually wanted to do because he's talented enough to handle it. I guess the game with him often does become a meta thing of Scott trying to derail him and Will doing his best to actually play his character, I can see why one would not enjoy his episodes if they didn't find that game particularly fun though.

I did improv myself for a while, so maybe I'm just easily awed by his technical skills, he's very good at taking the combative relationship in stride and making it fun. It's the kind of thing you only do to an improviser when you've known them for a while and can trust them, it's cool to see it when it works (really bad when it doesn't though; I love Tim Heidecker as his own thing but his appearances when he used to do CBB were always hit or miss with me, he was very against the grain in a way that I didn't think always worked for the podcast format)

I wonder if Will finds Gil frustrating or gets jealous of him at times; Gil has the opposite relationship with the show, where he comes in with a thing and will not let you stop him from getting to it no matter how hard you try

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've said it before but Gil having to struggle and fight his way to getting Scott, Ben Schwartz, and Adam Pally to actually listen to the Sardinas recordings — and then they're all totally on board with it once they hear it — is maybe my favorite moment from last year. I'm hoping he doesn't set a precedent where everyone starts preparing material to that extent, but it's great having one person who pulls it off.

And Will Hines is great because there's a genuine friendship there and his characters exist to test the limits of improv as a form. Scott pokes and prods because he knows Will can handle it and the end result is something sillier and funnier than just a goofy character.

The podcast would be boring for Scott and for the listener if there wasn't a variety of improv styles to pull from. Like the Aunty Donna guys are kind of bad at it, but they're still very funny and I laughed a lot at their recent episode. I just love this drat show!

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Will's Doctor character whose story devolves into a battle royale of all the medical students is one of my favorites. Same with the chair salesman who happens to be present during a bunch of suicides is great too. That particular episode was the first CBB in studio after covid and it has a joyous loopy atmosphere.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Will really benefits from coming in with a very normal character who gets weird rather than a demon or some other front loaded bit. His style of improv is all about discovery and discovery improv tends to go towards the opposite of what you start out as. The incredible becomes mundane and the mundane becomes incredible.

This goes doubly when you've got hostile interrogators like most of the people on a CBB podcast.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 6, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I totally get why someone wouldn't like Will, but I adore his style. His willingness to completely and utterly change everything he came in with to match the other performers and vibe of the room is a breath of fresh air. So many improvisers end up feeling a bit combative with having to really push their premise even if it doesn't really make sense. So much of their time is spent having to assert the base level reality of their character. Will is like water, fitting the shape of the container he's poured into. He might not have memorable characters, but he has a memorable style—the guy who says yes to every improv gift he's given, no matter how much it blows up his idea.

If you've ever seen him do longform stage work it makes for some of the best improv scenes you can see anywhere.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

He might not have memorable characters, but he has a memorable style—the guy who says yes to every improv gift he's given, no matter how much it blows up his idea.

exemplified perhaps by being pimped into confessing to a murder in the first(?) episode of his CBB presents thing and committing to that choice for the rest of the series (which i hope isn't over, but it has been a while hasn't it)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I totally get why someone wouldn't like Will, but I adore his style. His willingness to completely and utterly change everything he came in with to match the other performers and vibe of the room is a breath of fresh air. So many improvisers end up feeling a bit combative with having to really push their premise even if it doesn't really make sense. So much of their time is spent having to assert the base level reality of their character. Will is like water, fitting the shape of the container he's poured into. He might not have memorable characters, but he has a memorable style—the guy who says yes to every improv gift he's given, no matter how much it blows up his idea.

If you've ever seen him do longform stage work it makes for some of the best improv scenes you can see anywhere.

or to put it more succinctly: he's a beta cuck

the blackface accusation in the 14th anniversary episode is the first time I can remember him pushing back, it's funny they finally found something he won't "yes and"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

or to put it more succinctly: he's a beta cuck

the blackface accusation in the 14th anniversary episode is the first time I can remember him pushing back, it's funny they finally found something he won't "yes and"

it reminds me of an old PFT bit from the cancelable years of CBB, where he was playing some kind of space alien or something, and he was saying that he couldn't say what it translates to in English, and Scott says "is it the N word? Yes and..." "Yes, and, it isn't the word you're thinking of"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That was a very funny moment.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm always happy to see Will Hines' name in a guest lineup, because I know it's going to be a wild ride. (His most memorable appearance for me was as Johnny Bikes, daredevil motorcycle stuntman who is revealed to almost exclusively rides bikes on boats. I've forgotten a lot of the details but I remember hearing that one for the first time and being caught up in the truly manic energy.)

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder if Will finds Gil frustrating or gets jealous of him at times; Gil has the opposite relationship with the show, where he comes in with a thing and will not let you stop him from getting to it no matter how hard you try

Joe Wengert is a bit like that as well, I remember somebody once described him as almost always coming in to the show with a clear idea of where he wants his bit to go, and he'll do whatever he can to get there. Scott tries to swerve him and he'll tactfully deflect/deny it. Lots of "I think you misheard me"-type responses to goofy prodding.

Ainsley McTree posted:

it reminds me of an old PFT bit from the cancelable years of CBB, where he was playing some kind of space alien or something,

Better than a space alien, it was Gary Marshall

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Better than a space alien, it was Gary Marshall

lmao i forgot that detail

i am also glad that CBB is in an era where the only n word that's appropriate to joke about is nongman

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
They actually did film that one! One of my favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFsS3PDoZA

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Waterbed Wendy posted:

They actually did film that one! One of my favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFsS3PDoZA

I remember watching this live. God I wish they still did live episodes.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Well she was killed by a drunk driver who was going to buy weed.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

it's crazy that they're not doing an audiobook

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ainsley McTree posted:

exemplified perhaps by being pimped into confessing to a murder in the first(?) episode of his CBB presents thing and committing to that choice for the rest of the series (which i hope isn't over, but it has been a while hasn't it)

I fell for him when he was some kind of doctor character and he accidently said "med school initiation" instead of "orientation" and it turned into a whole long thing about an ancient death cult below the Mayo Clinic.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

His major weaknesses are that he doesn't do voices, mood wise plays most of his characters the same way, and also never seems to have more than 30 seconds worth of backstory for his characters. What was the devil, the black face character's, actual deal? We'll never know.

I do love him, and always enjoy his bits on the show, but can get why he wouldn't be a favoite.

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is certainly the man's gift, and bless him for it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

If you're Long Island comedian Jon Gabrus...

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/1656050172521254921

Not Tweetingman

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Will Hines's funniest appearance was when Bobcait Goldthwait was on talking earnestly about his documentary Lucky and his relationship with the pretty recently dead Robin Williams, and then Hines comes in as a lunch lady

E: I might be thinking of another nerd

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 10, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It was over ever since he deleted the tweet which read "there's something so chilling about the concept of the joker: a man who finds the thought of crime to be funny."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It was over ever since he deleted the tweet which read "there's something so chilling about the concept of the joker: a man who finds the thought of crime to be funny."

Or his "List of Star Wars Films" that was just in chronological order and pissed off SW Nerds/Film Twitter so much (Despite Rian Johnson quote-tweeting it with "No arguments here")

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I still think about that tweet a few times a year for some reason. So dumb but so good

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Or his "List of Star Wars Films" that was just in chronological order and pissed off SW Nerds/Film Twitter so much (Despite Rian Johnson quote-tweeting it with "No arguments here")

That was my absolute favorite

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

No Mark Padovano on Hey, Randy today, but he did call in and leave a great message.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Semi related, I’ve started playing dynasty warriors 8 and the first weapon at the top of the list is a Podao and it gives me a little laugh every time

I wonder if I can mark in the custom officer mode

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kdrudy posted:

No Mark Padovano on Hey, Randy today, but he did call in and leave a great message.

And it set Amber up for her famous catchphrase, "Someone sick."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still think about that tweet a few times a year for some reason. So dumb but so good

its the best tweet of all time

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Omg what a lineup

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Aunty Donna just made two shows, one of which is very stupid and on youtube, other one is basically the same as House Of Fun but It's hard to find unless you watch broadcast TV in Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujfBvWUcdsc

E: other show is called Cafe Hijinks. Same show but instead of room-mates they all work at a Cafe together

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 16, 2023

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Aunty Donna’s Coffee Cafe - thank you for tipping me off!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would be curious to know how to watch that in America if it’s not too hard to do legally, I liked house of fun a lot

Also apparently broden Kelly does a voice in the new cook serve delicious game, which I did not see coming

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess the writers’ strike means that Heather Anne Campbell had enough time to do CBB this week! :woop:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It was a good ep but the funniest thing may be the scoop that Norm McDonald went around saying "sounds great, I'll get back to you later" when he knew he had weeks to live.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It was a good ep but the funniest thing may be the scoop that Norm McDonald went around saying "sounds great, I'll get back to you later" when he knew he had weeks to live.

Man I had a buddy who died from cancer like a day before we had lunch plans and I was always upset I never got to see him again. Now I’m wondering if I just got epically trolled.

Fuckin a, Jeff…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Marty motorcycle is, I assume by complete accident, an incredible impression of Alex jones when he’s drunk.