Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I didn't play xenoblade 1 or 2 but 3 has some of the best music in a game I've ever heard, up there with chrono trigger/chrono cross. The battle system is forgettable for me and the storybis very good for a jrpg. Highly recommended. I think I like it better than dragon quest 11. Better overarching story and way better music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If an influencer doesn't like it, mom says "take it out of the cart my large son"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oscar Wild posted:

I didn't play xenoblade 1 or 2 but 3 has some of the best music in a game I've ever heard, up there with chrono trigger/chrono cross. The battle system is forgettable for me and the storybis very good for a jrpg. Highly recommended. I think I like it better than dragon quest 11. Better overarching story and way better music.

Dq 11 might be the most generic well polished bore of a game I haphazardly enjoyed enough to get 3/4ths through

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/RealSnugboy/status/1629449895571750913?s=20

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

That's not real op.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's not real op.

It should be.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's not real op.

its some kind of hell

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

In anticipation for ToTK, I’m playing LTTP for the first time. It’s cool! I’m trying to play it without looking anything up, the only thing I can use as a resource is the original instruction manual.
If you're doing this legitimately serious respect, that game gets tough and I have no shame saying I resorted to the Rewind feature a whole bunch. There's no shame in doing that btw even if it's just to put a save-state at the start of the level which is still a super legitimate way of beating the game, helps deal with the game over nonsense of yesteryear.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I politely decline

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

American McGay posted:

If you're doing this legitimately serious respect, that game gets tough and I have no shame saying I resorted to the Rewind feature a whole bunch. There's no shame in doing that btw even if it's just to put a save-state at the start of the level which is still a super legitimate way of beating the game, helps deal with the game over nonsense of yesteryear.

Agree op. This line of thinking is really good and refreshing to see. Using save states can make me feel a little guilty, but if it’s ‘use save states’ or ‘don’t get to experience the game at all’ then I know what I’m choosing. Still greatly enjoyed playing the old Castlevania’s just putting a save at the beginning of a stage.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Actually I was trolling by copy/pasting some idiot from this thread’s previous post in response to someone playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time. If you use save states or rewind you’re a little bitch and I hate you. Get owned.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Actually I was trolling by copy/pasting some idiot from this thread’s previous post in response to someone playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time. If you use save states or rewind you’re a little bitch and I hate you. Get owned.

lmao

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Im going to die

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26w76OmzEKI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

These things suck.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Yep.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Save states are only for when you want to suspend the game

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

save scumming is fine because old games were full of frustrating bullshit that our 10-year-old selves only tolerated b/c we didn't know any better

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mario 1 is a completely sensible game that you can beat on a first playthrough w/ no warp zones in the span of a half dozen hours or so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goethe.cx posted:

save scumming is fine because old games were full of frustrating bullshit that our 10-year-old selves only tolerated b/c we didn't know any better

alttp is only hard if you are 10 years old op

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I played through a ton of FF3 tonight, I've reached Xande's dungeon. Wild I might just beat it before Zelda comes out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I played like the first couple minutes of octopath traveler 2 and it felt so painfully generic formulaic in plot beats and mediocre voice acting, what are the good parts of it that are worth playing for?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ughh first world problem here, i have the option to trade for any of the oled models - i reaally want the zelda one but drat if the joycons for splatoon arent sexy and having a purple pokemon joycon would also be cool. However i have no intention of playing splatoon and have no idea when I would find time to even play pokemon (yes i know it doesnt come with the games)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

lol

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Levitate posted:

I played like the first couple minutes of octopath traveler 2 and it felt so painfully generic formulaic in plot beats and mediocre voice acting, what are the good parts of it that are worth playing for?

posts like this are stupid as hell. if you just want to call a game bad then do that. couching it in "when does it get good????" is moronic.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I got to the title screen when does this game get good?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

incorporeal posted:

I got to the title screen when does this game get good?

Sounds like a skill issue

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I care like he does

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

goethe.cx posted:

Augus posted:

alttp is only hard if you are 10 years old op
Just saying, these aren't mutually exclusive. I'm playing through the first Mega Man game on Steam right now, and while it's not overall a particularly difficult game, I have found myself getting frustrated at some of the setups because of some obnoxious RNG elements or something like that.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

These things suck.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I did a system transfer to my Zelda switch . I’m curious, did I just lose my animal crossing island? If I did, all good, I haven’t picked it up in a year +.

The oled switch really is nice.

I need a grip for it, but drat does the Zelda addition look great paired next to a ps5.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

LionArcher posted:

I did a system transfer to my Zelda switch . I’m curious, did I just lose my animal crossing island? If I did, all good, I haven’t picked it up in a year +.

I need a grip for it, but drat does the Zelda addition look great paired next to a ps5.

I have a suspicion the Retroflag grip (that looks like a gamecube controller) is responsible for breaking my OLED switch's usb port twice now. Love the aesthetic but hate having to do warranty service for it...

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Levitate posted:

Combat system is wicked good, map design is compact but rich with npcs, items and locations. It's hard to put a finger on precisely what makes it so much fun - its elements all gel into something special. The writing is a bit uneven and some of the characters are much more compelling than others. For me it ranges from tolerable to engaging, and offers justification enough for walking around gorgeous maps and making numbers go up. The best writing is hidden in NPC dialogue and certain Path skills that feed you little dossiers. There's a slice-of-life vibe to it that gradually reveals a lot about the world.

I'm a JRPG skeptic, mostly because they have historically been too slow and cumbersome to deal with. OT2 is highly streamlined, so basic stuff like leveling, traveling, equipment etc are quick to manage and understand. At the same time, there are a wealth of small systems running under the hood, like recruiting NPCs, capturing/butchering beasts, dueling punks to learn their skills, interrogating townsfolk under religious pretense, robbing everyone in town blind, and managing the day/night cycle to maximize buffs. Somehow these various systems are both easily legible and rich in their application, so there's a ton of actual gameplay to be had between plot chunks.

Best of all, many of those systems influence combat and the overworld simultaneously. For example, Ochette the hunter can capture and then process any creature into food. Food grants buffs, but also enables Ochette to share particular meals with NPCs, who become summonable in battles. If you bribe an NPC with food, they will follow your party around the map. Sometimes quests will require you to bribe someone with food (or something else, other characters gain followers in different ways), then bring them to a certain location.

Every character has 2 of these Path skills, one for day and the other for night. I have one party configuration for entering new towns - a thief, a dancer, and an apothecary (healer/poisoner), because they all have some means of acquiring items from townspeople, or uncovering hidden items and information through dialogue.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 11, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LionArcher posted:

Animal Crossing requires a separate app for transferring its island; the system transfer doesn't do it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

beer gas canister posted:

Combat system is wicked good, map design is compact but rich with npcs, items and locations. It's hard to put a finger on precisely what makes it so much fun - its elements all gel into something special. The writing is a bit uneven and some of the characters are much more compelling than others. For me it ranges from tolerable to engaging, and offers justification enough for walking around gorgeous maps and making numbers go up. The best writing is hidden in NPC dialogue and certain Path skills that feed you little dossiers. There's a slice-of-life vibe to it that gradually reveals a lot about the world.

I'm a JRPG skeptic, mostly because they have historically been too slow and cumbersome to deal with. OT2 is highly streamlined, so basic stuff like leveling, traveling, equipment etc are quick to manage and understand. At the same time, there are a wealth of small systems running under the hood, like recruiting NPCs, capturing/butchering beasts, dueling punks to learn their skills, interrogating townsfolk under religious pretense, robbing everyone in town blind, and managing the day/night cycle to maximize buffs. Somehow these various systems are both easily legible and rich in their application, so there's a ton of actual gameplay to be had between plot chunks.

Best of all, many of those systems influence combat and the overworld simultaneously. For example, Ochette the hunter can capture and then process any creature into food. Food grants buffs, but also enables Ochette to share particular meals with NPCs, who become summonable in battles. If you bribe an NPC with food, they will follow your party around the map. Sometimes quests will require you to bribe someone with food (or something else, other characters gain followers in different ways), then bring them to a certain location.

Every character has 2 of these Path skills, one for day and the other for night. I have one party configuration for entering new towns - a thief, a dancer, and an apothecary (healer/poisoner), because they all have some means of acquiring items from townspeople, or uncovering hidden items and information through dialogue.

Thanks, I didn’t play very much and usually give games some time but Throne’s opening bit just felt stilted and weird (just picked a character to start at random). Will try turning the voices off too since I can’t really get on with that at least now
I’ll give it some time was just wondering what people end up liking about as they play

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reviews are dropping. DF have a tech preview up, it looks amazing. Wintendo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

always fun to read threads (on poo poo holes like resetera) aggregating reviews and dogpiling someone who has an opinion that slightly deviates from the pack.
good schadenfreude content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mein gott.... Nintendo has done it again.....